News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Describe That...Creative Writing 101

Started by Oreo, June 12, 2009, 07:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oreo

This game was inspired by Darius, and utilising the senses in writing. He mentioned describing that pain tasted like ‘Caramel, it blooms in your mouth overwhelming everything, melting and clinging there sticky-like until the next flavor comes along that can overpower it.”

In one of my RPs I tried to use that technique and described the taste of the dark.

The darkness was thick, oozing around her thoughts. Cexy learned to breathe and walk through the sludge. At times it was so oppressive she wanted to die beneath it's pall, rather than drift in the cloying emptiness. The darkness had no odor, in fact it seemed to steal what senses she did have. The dark had a taste though... cold. Yes she remembered deciding darkness tasted like a knife made of ice, slowly dissecting sanity from reason. Hovering alone in the center of the space or walking to its edges made little difference. She had examined every nuance of the dark, it was all the same.

I thought a game might be interesting, challenging the next person to describe an inanimate/or intangible thing using their senses. Answer the challenge given by the previous person, then follow it with one of your own.

1st Challenge: Tilt your head back at noon on a Summer's day. What does sunshine smell like?

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Darius

Not the best description, but that one was hard

What does sunshine smell like?

I walked outside for a bit today and did tilt my head back to enjoy its feel. The air here is already hot, as if its an explosion of heat that’s been waiting all year to blow. Even on a Sunday I could hear the construction equipment rumbling on the highway project nearby

Today the sunshine filled my nostrils with heat. The light smelled like fresh cut grass, crisp, clean, pleasant and subtle. It filled my mind with memories from summer pasts as if they poured into my head through a funnel.

Challenge:  What does lust taste like?
When the avalanche has started, the pebbles no longer get to vote.
Ons and Offs
absence to make hearts grow fonder
Story ideas
Darius & His Ramblings
No one is an unjust villain in their own mind… we are all the hero of our own story.” A Lucio

Oreo

Lust tastes like a single cold bite of chocolate ice cream, delicious and creamy while it's indulged. Always wanting more, but too soon gone. Leaving behind an empty frigid feeling in its wake.

Challenge: Describe the sound of bells to someone who can't hear.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin