Soooo... You know, Neon Genesis Evangelion always depressed me a lot.*Spoilers?*

Started by Ajoxer, May 27, 2005, 05:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ajoxer

I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Hunter

Which ending?  There's the lame original that looks like it was done by a five year old or the other one?

Ajoxer

I follow the school of thought that the ending of the series was what's running through Shinji's mind while he's vegging out in the movie. Thus, the movie's ending is the one I'm talking about- The one in the series was even kind of satisfying.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Brandon

Again I think NGE is highly over rated when there obviously much better anime out there, but I liked the ending where the army invaded the base, Auska got to fight all those other Eva's and Shinji ended up becoming like a god. The others were just...after much thought I dont know what I could say to express my disappointment of those endings.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Ajoxer

Bah, all good things are overrated to some. I, for instance, think Shadowrun is overrated. Well, a little anyway.

Brandon

Well your right. For a few examples Fushigi Yugi, Rurouni Kenshin, Blue seed,, and Revolutionary Girl Utena are all good animes that are overated by most hardcore anime lovers. At the same time though there are some particular good animes that are extremly under rated such as Crest of the stars, Generator Gawl, and Steel angel Kurumi.

The thing about shopping for anime is knowing whos doing the reviewing. You want to read reviews by someone like me who gives a fair rating to the series, not someone who says its the best anime out there when they havnt even seen it yet.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Ajoxer

Personally? I don't look at reviews, since I go by the idea that if I couldn't do a better series, I should damn well appreciate the series.

Brandon

If only I had the artisitc talent I would draw Anime and manga for a living. I certainly have the know how as far as plot development though...but I digress. Most people are just looking for a good series to watch and enjoy several times when buying Anime, thus they read reviews to find out some info on them. Personally thats what I did for Steel angel Kurumi because I dont have a rental place around me that carries anime and because I didnt know anything about the series. I found it to be one of the better ones I had seen...but I digress, yes again. If you like a series then I say watch it, peoples opinions differ so its never a bad idea to go rent a series (if possible) and if you dont like it dont buy it. If you do like it put it on your wish list  ;)

We should really start up an anime discussion board  ;D

Ajoxer

Mmmm.

And heck, very few people are good artists AND good writers- Find a good artist who could help you bring your images to life! Go for it, good sir!

Hunter

I rather liked the alternate ending (i.e. End of Evangelion) much better than the original ending.  Nothing more satisifying that watching Asuka go completely ballistic and proving that Shinji really is a dumb wuss.   ;D

Brandon

Exactly. I think it was the best ending out of the 3? or was it 4?

Hunter

Dunno.  It still made a heck of a lot more sense than anything that came before it.

Brandon

Yeah the human instrumentality project ending was total BS. I couldve written better in my sleep...in fact now that think about it I have written better in my sleep. I think the writers tried to make a really cool mecha series with some political intregue like Garasaki but ended up failing in the end and realized it with the last episode so they stopped trying

Hunter

Yes but it's still worth the fifteen bucks to watch Asuka kick ass like that.   8)

Brandon

Hehe, I must admit I did enjoy that fight sceene but the best out of the entire series was when Shinji fought the first angel. The reason why I say that is because it was just so brutal. I cant think of many fight sceenes in any movie that I enjoyed more.

Hunter

I think for sheer brutality, you'd have to pick the fight where unit one ends up eating the angel.  Around episode 15 or so?  It's been a while since I've watched it straight through.

Brandon

Honestly at the time I thought that was a little over the top but with the anime Im watching and loving now (Elfen Lied) its pretty tame by comparison. Anyway, what was I saying?...oh yeah, the "eating" of the angel didnt really impress me it was the way Eva just beat the crap out of that first angel like it was nothing, and in such a brutal way.

Hunter

Really?  It didn't strike me as brutal at all.
Maybe I'm less attuned to violence.  *shrugs*

Ajoxer

Those two are my favorites- There's still something about that scene that manages to get the adrenaline raging in my system. Close second? Episode 133 of Naruto- If you haven't seen it, you should. It is incredibly awesome.

Anyway, the original ending was highly cerebral, I'd say- Of course, I had a little background info. Basically, this is what's going on inside his head- What he's thinking about. To me, the last two episodes were that time while Shinji was totally sporked in End of Evangelion.

But yeah, I've not seen End yet, >_<, but from what I've seen in an AMV, Asuka's fight DOES look boss.

Hunter

Quote from: Ajoxer on May 28, 2005, 04:54:09 AM
But yeah, I've not seen End yet, >_<, but from what I've seen in an AMV, Asuka's fight DOES look boss.

9 EVAs in like 3 minutes?  Yeah, that'd do it.  ^_^