News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Jumanji: Welcum to the Jungle

Started by Mathim, March 17, 2018, 06:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Given that the film has made almost a billion dollars and is still in theaters (impressive considering it was released in December!), and since I've had this idea for a while and haven't seen anyone try to get something like this going, I thought I'd put it into action. So with that said, if you haven't seen the movie, I'll break down what the structure I had in mind is all about. And no, you're not limited to the characters from either of the two Jumanji films, though there's also no reason you can't use one of them if you want to.

In one way or another, whether you're at an arcade, playing the free demo on your phone, gaming at home on your desktop or unearthing an old retro console in some dusty basement, you and several others are whisked away into the jungles of Jumanji, a beautiful but deadly place with dangers from within and without. Only, you're not in the body you inhabited before you entered this place; you're in the body of the avatar of whatever character you had chosen for yourself when you decided to give this game a try. Whether you're a teenager in the body of someone middle-aged or vice versa, and/or have completely changed sex, you are now in the driver's seat of your virtual counterpart, with all the strengths and weaknesses that come with them. And you notice three black bars on your wrist; those are your lives. If you lose all three, well, no one's entirely sure but it seems likely that you won't be coming back from the great beyond like you do when you lose your first two, so let's try to be extra careful, okay?

Each of you has a different vital role to play in your expedition party. They're largely archetypal and come with skill sets that, whether you were the worst person in the world at performing certain tasks before, you now have expert knowledge of and coordination with doing them. Certain things are off-limits, like reading a map if you're not the cartographer/navigator, and that's why you need to stick with and support the rest of your team so you can all accomplish the game's objective and get yourselves home safe and sound. It will still be possible even if someone dies, it will simply be all the more difficult to do so (unless some other poor soul happens to get sucked in and replace the fallen comrade...)

Jumanji is truly a magical place. Some of you will have abilities no normal human is capable of. Some of you will have weaknesses that make absolutely no sense and seem to be just the result of someone's twisted sense of humor. You will need to rely on magical artifacts to win, and battle or escape creatures that aren't quite like the ones from your earth. Your interactions with non-player characters are limited so you must use problem-solving skills and figure out riddles in order to advance and get closer to the end of the game. With that, good luck, adventurers. Oh, and there are no rules about fraternization with teammates. In fact it may just help you out in certain situations...

So there you have it! Create your real-life and avatar character profile and pick whatever role in the party you wish, and watch where you land once you've gotten drawn into the game! I'll set up the profile format below, so if you're interested, let your voice be heard and/or submit one here so we can keep track of which positions are open or closed or pending. I think this type of game will work a little bit better because by its nature, it'll be easier to lose and replace players (or maybe it won't make a difference...we'll see.) Anyway, I look forward to seeing if anyone's up for it! And to be clear, when I use 'real life' in this context, I'm talking about a virtual character, not you, the person on Elliquiy. Like how the Spencer character became Smolder Bravestone even though in real life they're both played by actors. In case there was any possibility of confusion, just avoiding that now.

Character Profile Format:

[float=right][img height=250]Before (IRL)[/img][/float][float=right][img height=250]After (Avatar)[/img][/float] (Please provide names of face claims wherever possible)
[b]Name[/b]: Real World Name/Jumanji Character Name
[b]Age[/b]: IRL/Avatar
[b]Sex and Orientation[/b]: Before/After
[b]Personality[/b]: This stays the same
[b]Expedition Party Occupation[/b] Primary choice, but maybe give a secondary fallback just in case
[b]History[/b]: About a paragraph of IRL and one of your avatar's backstory
[b]Avatar Strengths[/b]: 2-3 related to their profession, 1 unrelated, optional 1 that is a little outlandish or just for laughs
[b]Avatar Weaknesses[/b]: At least 2 reasonable weakness, and at least 1 humorous weakness

The kind of roles we're looking for are probably fairly obvious. The navigator/cartographer; the big game hunter/tracker; the zoologist; the botanist; the pilot/engineer; the interpreter (optional magic ability to talk to animals); and the smouldering leader. Feel free to propose other roles of significance if you'd like, I'm sure they'll be amenable or can be combined with other essentials. Also feel free to add video game tropes like equipment mule (someone with a bag of holding, for example), or possibly even someone with glitch powers like in Wreck-It Ralph. Or maybe you're inserted into the body of a Tarzan-like jungle native who acts like a guide to the group, with all your real-world memories intact but with an unfortunate lack of effective communication skills that make you talk like Bizarro-Superman. Or maybe you're a human-animal hybrid of some sort with enhanced senses but your nature brings more trouble to the group? There's a lot of possibilities so don't be afraid to ask if you think it might be a bit too wacky. If someone already snagged a role you wanted, we can try to figure out how to maybe blend a few others so everyone is happy.

The game is up and ready, here links for the game threads will be posted here:
OOC Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=284853.0
IC Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=284933.msg14024034#msg14024034

We are by no means closed for business, so please, if you're just running a bit late and want in, let it be known and we'll get you a spot on the team.
Current roster of approved characters:
-Any roles not already taken still available unless otherwise indicated; mainly on first-come, first-serve basis
Leader/Smouldering Masculine Eye Candy: Professor Brock McKenzie (Levi)
Jungle Girl/Native Guide: She-Na Queen of the Jungle (towerhouse)
Group Bodyguard/Muscle: Polly Pistolero (RubySlippers)
Archeologist/Ruin Explorer: Professor Harvey Jonas Jr. (Kathyan)
Cartographer and Navigator/Equipment Mule: Chase Oliver (Mathim)
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Kadigan

Would this be more sandboxy or structured adventures?

Mathim

Sandboxy, but since it's a video game there wil be 'levels', or objectives to complete to advance to the next stage so there will be focused short-term goals to keep things on track. There's no system or anything like that, but apart from the shock of entering the game and meeting the other players, there won't be a lot of standing around, there will be things to react to and whatnot.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Mathim

Nobody else is interested in this? Really? That's a damn shame. I'll leave this here another day or so and if don't get any more hits I'll abandon the project.

towerhouse

-TH

On/Offs

Mathim

Groovy! Any idea on what kind of character you'd be leaning toward?

towerhouse

I’m thinking Sheena, queen of jungle with limited communication skills.
-TH

On/Offs

Mathim

LOL, that sounds fun, I was hoping someone would want one of the ideas that wasn't used in the movies. If you're up for it, submit a profile and we will have 3 players. A handful more and we'll have a full-fledged game out of this.

Kathyan

I just watched the movie a couple of weeks ago, admittedly just because I adore the rock although also because I liked the first movie, I really expected more references to it besides Alan Parrish was here but whatever.

The idea sounds cool so count me interested, I have no idea of what will I be but I find it interesting to have my characters gender switched so I could be playing either a girl who becomes a man in game or a boy who turns into a woman. ^^

Mathim

Quote from: Kathyan on March 21, 2018, 08:42:05 PM
I just watched the movie a couple of weeks ago, admittedly just because I adore the rock although also because I liked the first movie, I really expected more references to it besides Alan Parrish was here but whatever.

The idea sounds cool so count me interested, I have no idea of what will I be but I find it interesting to have my characters gender switched so I could be playing either a girl who becomes a man in game or a boy who turns into a woman. ^^

Huh, I never thought about that. Maybe because the board game had its own jungle universe and the video game had a different one? They certainly all followed different rules. For one thing, video games didn't even exist when Alan was a kid. Also he didn't inhabit an avatar, he was always himself. And he aged, all 26 years of it. I think the transfer from board game to video game radically changed the entire internal game universe.

And yes, exactly! Being more than just a fish out of water, but a fish outside of its entire body or sex, even better! Since we saw a girl become Jack Black, a reverse of that in this game might be fun to try out.

towerhouse

Yah, jungle queen will probably be reversed gender. Thinking maybe a male jock.  I still haven’t watched the movie. Plan on renting it the next time I’m at redbox.
-TH

On/Offs

Mathim

There's a reason it's earned so much at the box office, it's really well-put-together. Casting, sets, animation, humor, all that is spot-on. Jack Black really outdid himself.

Levi

Loved the recent movie so deffinatly interested.
A Working Progress.             Posting responses are: Slow.    Updated

Mathim

Awesome! I hadn't anticipated the last bump to get any attention so this is very encouraging.

Levi

Quote from: Mathim on March 22, 2018, 09:43:11 AM
Awesome! I hadn't anticipated the last bump to get any attention so this is very encouraging.

I will admit i saw the thread and though shall I...shan't I and today I thought oh go on lol! Am thinking of going for the smoldering leader type unless you will be taking that role?

Kathyan

Hey Levi!, havent seen you in quite a while, glad to play with you again :D

I still haven't decided myself on what role to take but since a smoldering leader has just been mentioned do people already has called what they'll be besides Sheena?, also since Sheena will be a reverse gender jock I'll be going for a reverse gender girl then. ;D

Levi

Quote from: Kathyan on March 22, 2018, 10:18:54 AM
Hey Levi!, havent seen you in quite a while, glad to play with you again :D

I still haven't decided myself on what role to take but since a smoldering leader has just been mentioned do people already has called what they'll be besides Sheena?, also since Sheena will be a reverse gender jock I'll be going for a reverse gender girl then. ;D

Hey love! How the devil are you?! Yeah should be good. Look forward to it. X

towerhouse

Name: Alex Michaels (Anthony Anderson)/She-Na Queen of the Jungle (Gena Lee Nolin)
Sex and Orientation: Before (straight) /After (bisexual)
Personality: Ex-football linebacker, ex-frat boy.  After graduation, he became a football coach and a math teacher at his old high school. Always slow and steady, but freaks out big when weird shit happens like turning into She-Na.
Expedition Party Occupation Jungle Queen
History: Alex downloaded the new Jumanji game on his phone.  He had a bad habit of playing games on his phone in the car.  He meant to select the Jungle King avatar, but accidentally pressed the wrong button (don't text and drive) picking the Jungle Queen.   She-Na's family died in the jungle years ago on an unknown expedition.  She was raised by gorillas, and learned the ways of the jungle.  Recently, her curiosity with her own kind has led her to the expedition, attracted to the two-legged creatures who have funny smell.

Javelin and Shield- She-Na can throw and wield javelins with accuracy.  Her shield is made of wood, but for some reason is near indestructible.
Herbal Healing - Can create a poultice with local plants that can cure wounds and diseases
Animal Instincts - She-Na has the senses and skills of a predator:  hearing, smell, sight, climbing, leaping, swimming, running, stealth and general athleticism.
are enhanced to peak of human level, near animal level.
Funny:  can camouflage in the jungle, but has to take all her clothes off and rub her entire body with mud.

Limited Language Skills - Her speech is limited and hard to understand, even though the avatar fully understands what others are saying.
Cannot operate technology - All mechanical/electronic devices do not work or break under her operation.  In addition, she cannot wear manufactured clothing, because the zippers or buttons strangely breaks.

Funny:  Poultice Aphrodisiac - The poultice she creates comes from plants that are also sexual aphrodisiacs.  It not only heals a person/animal, but makes them horny while increasing sex pheromone production.
-TH

On/Offs

RubySlippers

(Please provide names of face claims wherever possible)
Face Claim: Rhona Mitra
Name: Beth Richards / Polly Pistolero
Sex and Orientation: Lesbian / Bisexual
Personality: A complete geek into video games, table top rpgs, ccgs, collects tons of geek crap lining her room, is good in school and a tomboy lesbian. She was a tad shy though and is a virgin.
Expedition Party Occupation Bodyguard Gunslinger

History: She is your typical geek from an upper middle class background and even carries some ccg decks on her for the popular games at all times and a bag of dice, and did well in private schools and is in college majoring in Mathematics and Physics having a very good IQ. Polly is a reformed criminal turned bodyguard for adventurers and others as one of the deadliest pistol fighters if not the deadliest on Earth and makes some side money as a professional wrestler but turned her skills into actual combat.

Avatar Strengths: Lightning Reflexes, Trained to be a Expert Luche Wrestler, Master Pistol Gunfighter, Unlimited Ammo Clips on Belt Reloaders for her Pistols
Avatar Weaknesses: If she gets into a fight she has more skin revealed and can't repair it even if she is re-spawned with more clothing damage (think Weaver's character in Galaxy Quest  ;D), Can Only Shoot Her Colt .45 Pistols right is Dee and the other Stroy for DeeStroy when together.  ;D

Mathim

Quote from: Levi on March 22, 2018, 10:05:47 AM
I will admit i saw the thread and though shall I...shan't I and today I thought oh go on lol! Am thinking of going for the smoldering leader type unless you will be taking that role?

Well I'm glad you did! And I usually pick last to give everyone else maximum favorable choices unless it's a game set in a universe where I have specific favorite characters I like to use, this not being one of them, so everything is up for grabs til the sheets come in.

Mathim

Quote from: towerhouse on March 22, 2018, 11:10:39 AM
Name: Alex Michaels (Anthony Anderson)/She-Na Queen of the Jungle (Gena Lee Nolin)
Sex and Orientation: Before (straight) /After (bisexual)
Personality: Ex-football linebacker, ex-frat boy.  After graduation, he went into sales.  The kind of job he dreamed of, but ended up realizing how much it sucks.  Kissing ass to customers, bosses.  Very chill, so doesn't complain in the open.  Always slow and steady, but freaks out big when weird shit happens like turning into She-Na.
Expedition Party Occupation Jungle Queen
History: Alex downloaded the new Jumanji game on his phone.  He had a bad habit of playing games on his phone in the car.  He meant to select the Jungle King avatar, but accidentally pressed the wrong button (don't text and drive) picking the Jungle Queen.   She-Na's family died in the jungle years ago on an unknown expedition.  She was raised by gorillas, and learned the ways of the jungle.  Recently, her curiosity with her own kind has led her to the expedition, attracted to the two-legged creatures who have funny smell.

Javelins- She-Na can throw and wield javelins with accuracy. 
Herbal Healing - Can create a poultice with local plants that can cure wounds and diseases
Zebra mount - She can call on her zebra mount which can move at 30 mph.

Funny:  can become invisible in the jungle, but has to take all her clothes off and rub her entire body with mud.

Limited Language Skills - Her speech is limited and hard to understand, even though the avatar fully understands what others are saying.
Cannot operate technology - All mechanical/electronic devices do not work or break under her operation.  In addition, she cannot wear manufactured clothing, because the zippers or buttons strangely breaks.

Funny:  Poultice Aphrodisiac - The poultice she creates comes from plants that are also sexual aphrodisiac.  It not only heals a person/animal, but makes them extremely horny.

Love it! Might the aphrodisiac also make those around whomever it is rubbed on very enticed by that person/animal, like a powerful pheromone, just for comedic effect?

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 22, 2018, 11:46:41 AM
(Please provide names of face claims wherever possible)
Face Claim: Rhona Mitra
Name: Beth Richards / Polly Pistolero
Sex and Orientation: Lesbian / Bisexual
Personality: A complete geek into video games, table top rpgs, ccgs, collects tons of geek crap lining her room, is good in school and a tomboy lesbian. She was a tad shy though and is a virgin.
Expedition Party Occupation Bodyguard Gunslinger

History: She is your typical geek from an upper middle class background and even carries some ccg decks on her for the popular games at all times and a bag of dice, and did well in private schools and is in college majoring in Mathematics and Physics having a very good IQ. Polly is a reformed criminal turned bodyguard for adventurers and others as one of the deadliest pistol fighters if not the deadliest on Earth and makes some side money as a professional wrestler but turned her skills into actual combat.

Avatar Strengths: Lightning Reflexes, Trained to be a Expert Luche Wrestler, Master Pistol Gunfighter, Unlimited Ammo Clips on Belt Reloaders for her Pistols
Avatar Weaknesses: If she gets into a fight she has more skin revealed and can't repair it even if she is re-spawned with more clothing damage (think Weaver's character in Galaxy Quest  ;D), Can Only Shoot Her Colt .45 Pistols right is Dee and the other Story for DeeStroy when together.  ;D

If you were trying to make me fall in love with her, mission accomplished. That is an awesome name, and I LOVE the Skurge reference at the end there. And Rhona Mitra was awesome in Doomsday.

Both resoundingly approved! I'll start making the roster at the top so newcomers know what's taken.

Levi

(Before Micheal Cera/ After Joe Mangeniello)
Name: Matty DeNozo/ Proffessor Brock McKenzie
Sex and Orientation: Straight
Personality: A bit of a book work and a straight A student, he's a complete know it all and knows lots of facts about lots of different things. However he has a stammer which it makes it near on impossible to talk to any one and has no real friends. He's had a crush on a girl in his computer class since the day they met and yet hasn't exchanged a single word with her.
Expedition Party Occupation Leader
History: Matty downloaded Jumangi on his X Box, on weekends he doesn't worry about doing homework as he's always a year ahead of class anyway, so he vanishes inside the latest game where he can be whoever he wants. He chose the proffessor not knowing the avatar would be the buff, strong sexual leader.

Proffessor McKenzie is an Irish  explorer with a dazzling smile and an Irish accent to really get the girls swooning. He's been asked to lead this exhibition into the jungle as he is the top of his field. He's one of those men who claim danger is their middle name but he also has a hidden romantic side which he uses to catch his leading lady.
Avatar Strengths: 1.Muscular frame- can withstand a large scale attack without receiving much damage.
                                          2.Strength- The strongest physically of the group
                                          3. Stamina- Can go for long periods weather it be fighting or running without needing to rest.
                                          4.Stripping- For some unknown reason he consistently takes of his top leaving his chiseled chest exposed which always restricts the ladies.
Avatar Weaknesses: 1. Driving- Can't do this at all, will crash every time
                                                2. Mice- Totally terrified of these small critters this can lead to him having a heart attack.

Mathim

Oh, those are brilliant weaknesses, I like it. All right, approved and I'm updating the roster. Just a few more players needed to get this started, so hopefully in the next day or so we'll have about half a dozen (myself included).

Kathyan

Kaya Scodelario/Chriss Pratt
Name: Kimberly Mazza/Professor Harvey Jonas Jr.
Sex and Orientation: Straight/Bi-curious
Personality: The kind of girl that could get any man in trouble Kimmy is one who doesn't like doing things on her own and and likes to get her own way usually using her looks as a leverage but also daring to seduce any man who stands in her way. She never was into girls though and once she found herself trapped into the body of Professor Jonas she found herself utterly confused.
Expedition Party Occupation Archaeologist, Ruin raider.
History:  A rebel since she was in high school it took Kimmy everyone thought it would take her forever to graduate although things were much smoother when she got male teacher. Once out she was quick to get a job wherever she could so her parents wouldn't bother her, attending customers was never her forte but as long as she kept being flirty with her boss he wouldn't fire her or ask her to do her properly. Everything would change though when she got an add about a game that just wouldn't go off from her phone screen.
Avatar Strengths: Finding Passages, Ancient languages, Unerring dodging, Whip mastery, Knot binding (all kind of knots including shibari).
Avatar Weaknesses: Snakes, Alcohol, Trap springing.

Mathim

Like the nod to Jones there, and Pratt is a great choice (would be awesome for him to be a part of the sequel). That makes me think...what if it was an MMO kind of thing for part 2? I mean, that would help them avoid completely repeating the formula from the first movie.

I'll go ahead and put up the OOC thread shortly, so look for the link in the first post here.

Looking for 1 more interested party to get this fully started. Any takers? I'll suspend my choice of character just so you'll have more options.