Till Death

Started by WyzardWhately, March 14, 2008, 07:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyzardWhately

The deepening sunset spilled a red glow across the proceedings.  Towering oaks on all sides cast patterns of dappled crimson and shadow onto the white stone patio, swept clear of fallen leaves for this occasion.  It was one of the largest outdoor spaces to be had, the precisely-fitted flagstones stretching for fifty paces in any direction from the center.  Long rows of stone benches surrounded the low dais at their center, so the audience would be at every side of them.  Behind, to the front, at their sides.  No tiny mis-step could be hidden by fumbling with one's back turned, there would always be witnesses.

Galryn took this as a personal affront, suspecting that sort of arrangement to be precisely calculated against him.  His family knew he was no one for proper form and courtesies, and there had been no time for a rehearsal, damn them all.  He straightened his tight-fitting black clothes, which approached the best his family could afford.  No use spending the dowry already, was there?  He'd tried to convince them to let him wear his finest mail, but they were set on having him appear as a courtier rather than a knight.  So be it.  The wool and cotton felt to thin and flimsy to his mind, but if that was his greatest challenge for the day he would count himself lucky.  He flexed muscular arms inside the unfamiliar garment, and scowled.  His preening sister pushed a few last locks of long, straight black hair behind his ears, and informed him it was time for him to approach.

There had been quite a lot of people telling him what to do, lately.  He wasn't used to that.  When he was born, he was a third son, estimated to be approximately as useless as matches to a fish.  So, he'd been given comfortable quarters, tutors, a horse to ride, weapons and armor, and the quiet assurance that he'd be kicked out of his family estate some day and he'd damned well better make the best of it.  And that was a fine thing, and he had adjusted.  He excelled at the sword, the lance, the bow, the horse, he wore armor, he was strong and tough and knew woodcraft and how to lead small groups of men.  He'd been quite prepared to make his fortune in the world with what life had given him, and no complaints.

Which had changed rather drastically when he returned from his latest journey, a small bag of stolen gems and a few more scars assuring him he could live the life when needed.  Oh, but they'd been pleased to see him for once.  Unnaturally so.  His sisters had run down to the courtyard, embracing him and kissing him on the cheek despite the smell of horse and sweat.  His brothers had clapped him on the back and welcomed him home, both the elders who viewed him as a threat and the younger who saw him as a stepping-stone.  His parents had smiles and thoughtful gifts.  A new long-bladed sword, a steel-rimmed shield of ironwood.  And a feast!  And then the announcement.

He stepped out from behind the curtain, standing tall, to look at the reason why.  Sharp black eyes sought her out, standing on the dais.  She would be beautiful, he was sure.  And fine, and high-born, and wealthy.  That was the part that mattered.  After a lifetime of being resigned to making his own fortune, he was in the course of three days turned to the purpose of making his family's.  But nevermind, he would do his duty.  He bowed to the flower-girls, clicking together the heels of his shiny black boots, and strode up the space between the benches.  His family all looked so pleased.  And well they should be, Galryn supposed.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Seara

Fallyn stands at the end of the isle. The music begins and the congregation stands. Her white gown is corseted at the top sinching her tiny waist and flows down from her hips with a train that is a full 8 feet behind her. Her veil covers her face but is thin enough he can see her eyes are a deep shade of blue that is almost purple, you might even call the color violet and are shaped like almonds. She has cheek bones are high and quite dominant. Her nose is small and when you look at it closely you can see the tip is not quite strait as if she has gotten into a fight and had it knocked around. Her lips are full and are painted a soft rose color, her hair is blond almost the color of honey warmed in the sun.

She walks down the isle towards him looking strait ahead she studys his face as she comes ever closer wondering what her parents have gotten her into this time. The man looks uncomfortable in his own skin, she thinks this as she watches him try not to fidget.

For the last three years she has been groomed to be the head of her house. Her parents paraded every available male who they thought was suitable infront of her and she denied them all even a second meeting with her. Her parents had been acting strange for the last few weeks, no men not even a mention of anyone comming over. She was hopping they had decided she was able to continue the line without being married yet. Then this morning they drag her out of bed throw her in a gown and now she is getting married. How her sisters kept their mouths shut....she must not think of that now she has a duity to do

She reaches the end of the isle and turns to face him her father giving her away, looking so happy to see his first born about to be married off. She neither smiles no frowns as she looks over him. Her expression is one of exceptance. Her father lifts her veil and kisses her cheek when the priest says so. She looks at her new husband her eyes cold.

WyzardWhately

Galryn's face is one of simple functionality.  A wide forehead, swept-back black hair, narrow dark eyes, surprisingly full and expressive lips.  His cheekbones are prominent, his nose hooked, his jaw square and his chin slightly cleft.  It looks the work of a skilled sculptor who nonetheless wished to take no more than the minimum amount of time on it.  A white line of a scar snakes across his forehead to disappear into his hairline.  He's just tall enough to look down into her eyes, but seems to loom greatly with his broad shoulders and stern expression.  He inclines his head in greeting - not part of the ceremony, but a small acknowledgement of their first meeting. 

His mother and father looked on from the crowd.  They had the same largely stern look that he did, and well they should.  They'd bargained and cajoled with him for the whole night through before he agreed to this, as they'd called in every marker they'd ever given him, and mixed in threats as well.  The fire had burned low in the hearth as he'd finally given up and agreed to wed the wench, whoever she was, so long as they'd shut up and stop talking at him.  And she was beautiful, so perhaps it wouldn't all be a chore.  They thought he was going to do something terrible, he could see it in their eyes.  Like he'd throw it all away.  Well, he was going to disappoint them and do his best.  They may think so little of him if it pleased them, but Galryn would live up to his word, even if it meant silk hose and small-talk with vapid relatives.

He took her hand, the fine cloth of his glove keeping their skin apart, as the Heirophant began his stilted, monotonous drone, saying the words that would bind them and their houses together.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0

Seara

Fallyn nods back to him as she is greeted. Her hands are also gloved in white silk. Her hands hold his firmly but she neither tries to show affection in any sort or really act as if this is bothering her. She half heartedly listens to the words that are being said about love and happiness. Should they have warned this man that they have never met before. Honor and commitment were the correct words for this uniting of two families so she tunes in as she is asked to repeat her vows to honor and obey, till the breath is gone from her body. She knew very well that the honoring and obeying would be asked of him also, for both of them have the same rules comming into this relationship.

Her parents ponder if they have made the right choice for their daughter. They do make a handsome couple and the favor they owed to his family was now cleared, they would no longer feel as if they owed them. Not as if they wern't a good family, just that lately they have not been successful in their financial pursuits. They hope they have raised their daughter well enough that she knows how to manage the money and not let her husband do it for her. They watch as proud as they can as she takes him to be her husband, they knew if they got her up here she wouldn't embarass the family any more then she had by turning away all the suitors.

As her vows are finished she listens to him looking at him she seems so cold, her eyes show no compassion for this man. She probably thinks he had somthing to do with the arrangment and knew about this far longer then she has.

WyzardWhately

Galryn looked at her curiously, noted that she was beautiful, and not drooling or in any other way apparently defective.  That was good.  He pursed his lips in consternation, and somewhat surprisingly looked away from her to scan the crowd.  He was uncomfortable unarmed, even if there were guards here.  He recited his lines mechanically when called upon to do so, looking briefly back to her for the form of the thing.

His parents are starting to look more pleased, as it looks like the ceremony will go off without disruption.  How very nice for them.  Branch and Stone, how did they manage to set this up?  There must have been some serious business behind closed doors.  He believed he recognized some people in the crowd that must be from her clan...what was her name again?  And they looked wealthy.  His parent's purpose become clear, though not the path they'd taken to achieve it.  He squeezed her hand, seemingly more from distraction, a simple reflex to relieve tension in his fingers, but it's hard to be sure what he's thinking.  What had they done to arrange this...

Seara

Fallyn wrinkles her brow wondering if this man thought that they would be as a true married couple. She would have to explain to him how this marriage was going to be tonight. He would be expecting a honeymoon and she carried enough coin with her so that if her parents put them up in an inn she would have enough to get her own room. She straitens her spine even more trying to feel as though she is not over shadowed by him and his equal not his lesser. As they put the rings on eachothers fingers she almost sighs with releif that it is almost over with.

Her parents look over at his and nod as the ceremony winds down. They were both fearing for the worse and it seems as if there won't be any of the problems they had predicted there would be. They had planned and plotted for months for seemingly nothing. They hardly had to argue to get them down the isle and married off in a quiet fashion.

The priest announces they are husband and wife and that he may kiss the bride. She moves so that he will kiss her cheek and not her lips, if he attempts to kiss her on the lips she will move away so he can not get to them lest he will make a scene trying to get to them.

WyzardWhately

Galryn kisses her dutifully on the cheek, closing his eyes when the crowd begins to throw blossoms, acorns, and other ceremonial detritus at them.  His expression is one of vague annoyance, but he brushes off his clothes with nonchalance and turns to make the necessary greetings, motions, and polite noises.  As an aside, during the hubbub, he speaks to her.  "I am Galryn.  A pleasure to meet you, although the circumstances are a bit sudden.  What is your name?" 

He seems inclined to get through the formalities as quickly as possible, and he's downright brusque with some of the more demonstrative clan members.

Seara

She also tolerates the things being thrown at them as they make their way back down the isle. She looks over the faces in the crowd noting whom is from his side and who is from hers so she she can be sure that she doesn't make a fool of herself as they come to greet the new couple. She looks at Galryn with annoyance as he does not know her name.

"Well I knew your name, but mine is Fallyn"

She says coldly if possible her spine becomes even more strait. She greets everyone politly saying a few words to the poeple she knows and pays no attention to him. She Walks with him to the festivities not seeming to even know he there unless he makes himself known somehow.

WyzardWhately

He doesn't even look at her, walking down the aisle half-turned-away, to shake hands and have his shoulder clapped and small talk.  It becomes clear to her that his most affectionate and familiar relationships are with the rougher, baser people of the city, from within his clan and out.  He asks rough-looking men about their fortunes and how they're healing various injuries, a few apparently lewd references to unnamed third parties are made under his breath - none to her, but she's standing too close to avoid hearing.  It becomes clear as they cross the gauntlet of guests what kind of man they've married her off to.  "Well, thank you, Fallyn.  I heard of this only two or three days past, and in the blur of preparations I quite forgot to ask who the other party was."  She can hear the smirk in his voice.  "I don't think I've ever seen you before, so I'll presume you've been admiring me from afar?"

Seara

Fallyn frowns at the type of people he decides to associate with at the wedding. She wonders how well he actually knows these shady characters. She makes a mental note that she is going to have to have a talk to him about who he associates with. To keep in the good graces of the court these sort of people will have to be eraced from his memory and certantly not have any association with her. As he continues to talk to these people her concern becomes very greater. The people she goes and talks to are in the higher class and she trys to talk loud enough that her new husband's conversations can not be heard.

"I have never seen you before either. I didn't know who you were untill I was woken this morning and thrown into a gown. Do not think so highly of your self sir."

This last sentance is said cold and with purpose as she emphasises the sir on the end.

WyzardWhately

"Oh, quite the opposite.  No one else thinks very highly of me at all, and so I must make up the difference myself.  Honestly, I feel my self-reliance in the face of such adversity is commendable."  He clicks his bootheels on the stone as he half-bows to some of the guests, and continues on to the feast.  "Nonetheless, I will do my best to make myself tolerable to you, and hopefully you can extend the same courtesy.  We're stuck in this together, after all, and neither one can blame the other for it."

Seara

She holds her head up high as she continues to greet people. Making nice with some and giving the cold shoulder to some of the lower stattus people. A girl she seems to know pretty well comes over and whispers in her ear for a few seconds then walks away. And she straits her self up looking at him momentarly.

"I will do the same, as long as you stay out of my way. I know how to run a house and a estate, but we can discuss all of this later tonight."

She says sharply, he will probably guess that she is used to being listend to and that no one questions her authority. They finally arive to their table and she takes her seat waiting for him to come and sit beside her.

WyzardWhately

"Well, then, I suppose we are on precisely the same page."  He pours himself a large goblet of strong red wine, and passes to her a bottle of a more delicate vintage almost without thought.  "I haven't the least idea of how to manage an estate, and so long as you're skilled in that art I see no reason to pretend I'm interested in learning.  I think we shall be the best of friends."  He takes a long pull of the wine and looks at her for what is really perhaps only the second time.  "I must admit to some confusion.  You are beautiful, intelligent, apparently skilled, wealthy, and highborn.  Have you the least idea why they betrothed you to me?"

Seara

She pours herself a glass of the vintage wine. She thinks over his words wondering if they should be discussing such things at their reception. She leans towars him keeping her voice rather low.

"I don't think this is the proper place to be speaking of such things. I do not want the entirety of this room to know my affairs by the end of the night, as far as people are concerned they probably think we atleast like eachother."

She takes a sip of her wine talkingto the various people that come to the table, she really hopes this night will end up being a early one.

WyzardWhately

"As you say, my lady."  He immediately spins and calls to his friends, striding off down the length of the table to make the rounds of those seated very far indeed from the head.  The ceremony of earlier made him seem uncomfortable, but revelry and carousing come naturally to him.  Galryn has an easy way about him, and by the time the sun is fully set, he's working his way back up the table by torchlight.

Seara

Fallyn lets people come to her, seeming just as much as stiff and formal with everyone that comes to her except for one female. This female seems to be her friend of some sort as they talk in hushed tones clasping hands together. He would guess that this is the only person who really knows Fallyn and will be seeing a whole lot of her. As the sun starts to set less and less people are approching her and she is taking more and more time to talk to each one. She seems to be growing weary drinking about half the bottle of wine and not seeming fazed by it in the least.  Her stature hasn't changed the entire time, if he had been watching her at all he wouldn't even see her crack a smile.

WyzardWhately

There's actually a strict tactical logic to Galryn's movements, though it's inobvious to anyone who doesn't know him well.  The lower strata of society suit him better, so he speaks to them first.  The stations of the guests rise as you approach the head.  By working his way up the table in reverse order, he encounters the courtly and highborn only as they've had increasing amounts to drink.  At this point, they're more likely to find him refreshing and funny rather than blunt and ill-mannered.  He congratulates himself on his cleverness as he shakes hands with her father and too-late realizes the man hasn't kept up with his neighbors.  After a few stiff exchanges, Galryn excuses himself and looks for the coach that's to take them to the inn.

It's a great four-wheeled affair, with green and gilt leaves around it, and some horses that are altogether too dressed up for his taste.  Once he's locked his eyes on it, he approaches Fallyn from behind and rests his hand on her shoulder for a moment, just a brush.  "Your carriage awaits, my lady."

Seara

Fallyn gets up thankfull he is finally ready to leave. She signals him to wait for a moment and she goes and walks over to her parents and talks to them telling them goodbye he can see her father slipping her somthing in her hand that she quickly hides in the folds of the gown, so unless he was watching closely he might have missed it. She walks back joining him as they walk towards the carrage they seem to be bombarded by people saying their farewells. She takes this all in stride saying somthing to everyone who comes over in the same cool tone. She walks over to the carrage waving to everyone a last time taking her seat on the one side of the carrage her dress making it impossible for him to sit next to her.

"Wow I am glad this day is over."

WyzardWhately

Garlyn is generally oblivious to what she's doing with her father, his attention being more focused on concealing an unopened bottle of wine under his jacket.  He sprawls out on the other side of the carriage, all pretense of posture gone now that no one is watching.  "Well, we've privacy enough now.  Tell me your thoughts."

Seara

She is still sitting up straiter then a pin she frowns as he slumps down. She smooths her skirts slightly thinking that he should be a bit more proper infront of her. She sighs softly

"In all honesty I am not quite sure why it was you that my parents choose, but I am quite sure that they would have married me off to someone soon because I refused everyone that came my way. I do not want to be married and if I had it my way I would probably never marry. I find men to be pretentious and think I can do just as well by myself. The only reason I even agreed to today is because I did not have enough notice to tell people not to come. I truly and honestly found out this morning when I woke up that it was going to happen. I do have a feeling that my family owed your family somthing. I am just glad that you don't want to interfear with house running. I also would rather have control of the majority of the finances. I am a wizz at making money and I plan on continuing to do so. I will give you an allowance."

She sounds rather cold not moving a mussle as she speaks even as the carrage bounces she doesn't seem to move

WyzardWhately

"Then we shall have no problems on that account, as I am completely unpretentious."  He produces a stiletto from somewhere about his person and proceeds to strip off his gloves and clean his nails.  "I am sure we can negotiate an allowance ample for my needs, I'm not accustomed to spending money I haven't earned anyway."

Seara

She looks at him cleaning his fingernails but says nothing about it her nose only flaring slightly.

"I am sure you won't be needing too much then"

The carrage comes to a stop infront of a huge inn. A door man opens the door and takes her hand helping her out. As She waits for Garlyn to come out she speaks in hushed tones to the man, and quickly stops as he emerges from the carrage. As they walk into the inn there is a roaring fire in the fire place and a sweeping stair case that goes up both sides, off to the right there is a bar and off to the left there is a dining room. She starts heading towards the stairs to go up to the room. She looks to make sure that he is going to follow her up.

WyzardWhately

Galryn notices her conspiring, but doesn't seem to attach any particular significance to it.  He sets to directing a stableboy or two to shift their luggage inside, and then rejoins his bride with hands clasped behind his back.  "My lady.  It is probably most appropriate that we have some baths drawn.  It has been a long day, subject to an entirely undue amount of finery.  I'll see to dealing with the staff if you'd like to go on up ahead, as I'm sure your coiffure is even more exhausting than my own."  He stops to consider, "Actually, do you have a lady's maid with you?  I can't imagine that's any easier to remove by oneself than plate armor.  I'll be happy to assist you myself, of course, but my require some slight direction with the more delicate frippery."

Seara

Fallyn stops and turns around to look at him. The expression on her face is that of shock that he would even really think of speaking to her about such a delicate thing like bathing infront of anyone no mater if they are just servants or not. She nods over to the carriage that followed them. Several servants are busying them selves getting baggage and what not.

"I do beleive that we should talk about such matters when we are not in public, my dear husband. My servants are well trained and know what to do, I no longer have to tell them how to get ready for a stay at an inn."

The tone in her voice is of icy resolve, her eyes seem to almost peirce him. He might be able to tell that he has made a blunder in her delicate world of rules that are to be followed. She moves further into the inn .

"Although if you do desire, I am sure you could find a game of cards or dice, to make your self feel more at ease before retiring for the night"

She says this in a very nice tone but he can clearly see that she is insulting him.

WyzardWhately

He shrugs and chuckles at his misstep, seemingly taking it in stride.  "My, but you HAVE brought along quite the retinue.  I've generally found that more than one or two servants simply get underfoot.  But no matter, I'll manage despite them."  He does manage to bound up the stairs before the footmen and ladies and open the door for her with a dramatic bow.