LFG for Final Fantasy D6 (Recruitment is closed)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, March 08, 2015, 12:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lockepick

I'm expressing some interest as a player -- though I admit, that might sort of hinge on the actual setting.

If I may offer some piece of advice: 90% of the games I see using this system try to create this hodge-podge universe that tries to appeal to every fanboy of any/every game. I would love to see a single set universe with some clear cut rules -- attempting to incorporate a little from every game (even the best from every game), tends to make the whole thing get muddled out.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Zaer Darkwail

Well, in good part in FF the good games have some things in common in them already and some things are always there (like chocobos since game 2, airships, summons one way or another etc).

Inerrant Lust

I agree with what Locke has said... A lot, I think, hinges on the setting. My advice? Come up with a plot and a setting and then add in all the fantasy-isms later. I think what distinguishes Final Fantasy from other JRPGs isn't the stuff like chocobos and the like. Hell, even the mechanics drastically change every game. What remains constant, at least in the old ones, are the themes such as love and environmentalism and such. :P

TvTropes knows... ;)

Angie

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on March 11, 2015, 12:27:21 PM
I agree with what Locke has said... A lot, I think, hinges on the setting. My advice? Come up with a plot and a setting and then add in all the fantasy-isms later. I think what distinguishes Final Fantasy from other JRPGs isn't the stuff like chocobos and the like. Hell, even the mechanics drastically change every game. What remains constant, at least in the old ones, are the themes such as love and environmentalism and such. :P

TvTropes knows... ;)

Personally what I always though set FF apart from the rest was that they made these worlds you could happily get lost in and really enjoy, which is kind of why I cut 12 some slack-Ivalice is a world you can really get lost in. It wasn't so much the chocobos as you wanted to take those chocobos so you could explore the world.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

slowmojoe

Hi all.

Your friendly neighborhood GM here.

It's been a long time since I've been here, but I have been trying to get back into it.
I think that running a game like this might be just the thing.

I have been running games of various systems off and on for a LONG time. As long as I was old enough to know that dice other than d6 existed.

I'm excited for this particular system, because I've been waiting for an overhaul to it, and I felt that d100 was just unnecessary.

We'll make a recruitment thread when we get closer to the start of the game, but anybody that is displaying interest at this time will get a fair measure of preference.

Most likely you'd like to know what kinda GM I am. In short:  I'm pretty easy going.  I find that arguing over a rule is worthless. Bring it up, we will discuss it, and move on. I don't like to fight over the details of the rules, but I am delighted when a rule exists on a particular topic, and would prefer to follow it, if it is not silly.

I love some good RP. I will reward you for it.

My desire is to make the game fun above all, and also challenging. As far as combat, I will try to put you on the edge of your seat, rather than go straight for the kill. It's a delicate edge though, and you might expect us each to fall in our turn.

About this particular game:

The limitations to classes and races are only in so far as to what the setting will allow.  I am not aware yet of what those restrictions will be exactly. I await the details as you, with bated breath.

Katida will be creating the setting and such details as she feels she should. Otherwise, I will be doing the dirty work. I can tell you that this will be an original setting, with Final Fantasy style and tropes thrown in, to remind you of what it is. 

It is likely going to lean closer to the high fantasy, rather than the modern, but we love steampunk...

I will try to incorporate everything that the manual has to offer, as far as limit breaks, summons/espers, et cetera.

There are rules for crafting. I love the concept of being able to craft, so I won't discourage it; however, as the book suggests, there won't be much opportunity to farm gil from it.

The creators of the system indicate that some of it is broken, if we find something is broken, I will attempt to find some "patch" for it, but I don't expect to nerf the entire game.

In the interest of diversity, and since this will be the first time for a lot of us to try this out, I'd prefer it only one person has one job at a particular time, but I would like to incorporate the ability to switch jobs, though likely not right away.

Feel free to pose questions, either to learn more about the game or the guy that's going to try to run this machine.

Lali-ho!

Zaer Darkwail

Well, you can change jobs by spending 3pts from destiny. Or take onion knight ability from general ability section (which allows change jobs after every major boss battles or named infamous monsters for free). So job changing is possible, but naturally if you enter to warrior job after being black mage you loose access to spells as warrior job does not afford any MP (but warrior abilities stay with you when you enter red mage job example).

One questions though is that do we start in 1st level or do you have higher level in mind for the players?

slowmojoe

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on March 12, 2015, 05:13:57 AM
Well, you can change jobs by spending 3pts from destiny. Or take onion knight ability from general ability section (which allows change jobs after every major boss battles or named infamous monsters for free). So job changing is possible, but naturally if you enter to warrior job after being black mage you loose access to spells as warrior job does not afford any MP (but warrior abilities stay with you when you enter red mage job example).

That's of course assuming that I am allowing that exact system, which is very likely.

Though arguments certainly could be made for starting at higher level, I still like to start at 1.
My primary reasoning for this is: allowing for the character to actually develop. I don't mean statistically.  I feel like starting at high levels actually takes away from initial struggles that might affect things dramatically.

Also, having limited options helps to get a feel for the system. If you start the game at higher level, you end up with a long list of abilities, and no real practical knowledge of how effective they are, dealing with more dice and more math than you have to, before you even know what you are doing.

Zaer Darkwail

Starting first level is okay to me, just asked so I know do I need brainstorm for build ideas and such :). But as I earlier asked how likely sexual elements if any would show up in the game itself though?

slowmojoe

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on March 12, 2015, 06:43:20 AM
Starting first level is okay to me, just asked so I know do I need brainstorm for build ideas and such :). But as I earlier asked how likely sexual elements if any would show up in the game itself though?

I am not restricting sexual activity in game as long as it is at least somewhat relevant, and follows general elliquiy guidelines, and is not offensive to the rest of the group.

Eislynn

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on March 12, 2015, 06:43:20 AM
...as I earlier asked how likely sexual elements if any would show up in the game itself though?

Let me put my two cents in on this one too. I'm not opposed to sexual elements - this is Elliquiy after all - but there is a time and a place. If a black mage goes off to screw a barmaid, or the warrior and the ninja decide to have a tryst in the greenery, the plot will not stop for everyone else. There will a separate thread or threads where romantic subplots may happen without game mechanics to get in the way. This rule will of course apply on an as needed basis. For example, if everyone is present, there will be likely be no need to sequester it as a subplot.

In other news, I'm furiously brainstorming our plot and working on a lovely world map. I will release snippets of info once I've got the basics ironed out. I can promise this much, it is becoming a vast world for a twisting tale of mostly traditional high fantasy. As slowmojoe mentioned, we are quite fond of anachronisms, especially steampunk, in our games, so you can certainly expect some of that.

Thanks for your patience whilst I weave this world into a web with which to snare your imaginations! ... I do sincerely hope it lives up to my grand declarations... ;)

Zaer Darkwail

Heh, I cannot wait to read your creation once your done Katida desu :). But no need to rush, but as advice from GM who has led +16 years tabletop locally; 'Start small and build from that and expand as game goes'. Saves lot of time unless you can rapidly create entire world history and ancient history in detail.

slowmojoe

Tonight's conversation piece:

Your favorite Final Fantasy job, and why. It does not have to be represented in the d6 rulebook, just Final Fantasy in general.

I'm a fan of the engineer job.
Cid is the man. You need firepower? You need 3 airships? I'm on it. CLANG CLANG. Job done. I'll take a nap now, call me when you need more equipment.

Sub topic: Pa-LAD-din, Pala-DIN, or Paula Deen?  ;D

Inerrant Lust

It has to be Lancer. I played Seven first, then Tactics. I eventually went in both directions chronologically, but at that point I never knew jobs was a thing outside of FFT. So, why is Lancer my favorite?

Ironside was a Lancer I recruited from the thief with a unique character portrait in Dorter City, chapter 2. I believe this was my first play-through... Anyways, so there I was, fighting Queklain. All my party members were KO'd/sleeping/poisoned/ect. Totally fucked.

I remember Ramza had just gotten Don't Act or something put on him, and Agrias was on her last turn before crystalizing. As I was just about to use the Square soft reset... down came my lancer, whom I had completely forgotten about, landing the killing blow. :P

Also; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG_Z0rd7eK0&spfreload=10

Angie

Quote from: slowmojoe on March 12, 2015, 05:12:08 PM
Tonight's conversation piece:

Your favorite Final Fantasy job, and why. It does not have to be represented in the d6 rulebook, just Final Fantasy in general.

I'm a fan of the engineer job.
Cid is the man. You need firepower? You need 3 airships? I'm on it. CLANG CLANG. Job done. I'll take a nap now, call me when you need more equipment.

Sub topic: Pa-LAD-din, Pala-DIN, or Paula Deen?  ;D

Sub first: Pa-la-DIN.

As for favorite job, I think I prefer Thieves. I like being able to sustain myself off of stolen Potions and curatives so I can spend my cash on the important shit.

Zaer Darkwail

Sub: Pa-la-DIN.

My favorite job? Samurai. Why? Because insane fast draw techniques and cool moves what comes from using katana (and also RL like overall attitude of bushido code).

Lockepick

Sub: pa-la-DIN

Favorite Job: I'm always partial to thief characters, but I did find Monk in FFT to be a really powerful and self sufficient class.

As for in the FFd6 system -- I think I'm leaning towards Dark Knight or Geomancer. I always liked the IDEA of Geomancer, but they weren't super useful in FFT.

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Angie

Quote from: lockepick on March 12, 2015, 07:02:33 PM
Sub: pa-la-DIN

Favorite Job: I'm always partial to thief characters, but I did find Monk in FFT to be a really powerful and self sufficient class.

As for in the FFd6 system -- I think I'm leaning towards Dark Knight or Geomancer. I always liked the IDEA of Geomancer, but they weren't super useful in FFT.

They were hilariously broken back in FF3.

apygoos

<3 ff3
fucking love how the Crystal Tower raids in FFXIV are total FF3 homages, music and all.

Lockepick

Speaking for the FFd6 system -- I was really sad that Dark Knights can't use Reach Weapons. I liked the idea of Geomancer, but I was a bit put off that some terrain types seem superior to others -- especially given that there is a Job Ability that lets you pick one 'terrain' you can always call on.

ReijiTabibito

I'm more a fan of the Returner d% system, the precursor to this one, and it seems there's plenty of interest, but I'll put in my hat in case people have to drop out (which has been known to happen), and because Katida and Joe are running the show.

Blue Mage.  Or Gambler.  The sticking point for me is practical vs aesthetic.  If I had to go with the Job, I'd probably side with the Blue Mage - Grand Train is one of the most slamming spells ever.  If I went with the ur-example of that job, it would be Gambler - Setzer is one of my more favorite characters in 6 alone, forget the whole franchise.

slowmojoe

Good responses!

Particularly pleased with the tale of Ironside.

A lot more love for thieves than I would have guessed. I'm not sure why I assumed they would get no love :(

Alright, next question:

Which Final Fantasy character are you most like; what character do you gravitate to... Which character is your Final Fantasy avatar, the closest representation of 'you' ?

This does not have to be physical. I'm thinking more in terms of personality/beliefs.

Zaer Darkwail

My definite FF personality would be Auron, not just for 'cools' factor. But because of his deep loyalty and also dislike for religion which deceives people into vicious cycles because of belief, wanting end such suffering. Also in RL I am silent sort but I talk if talked to and I always carefully think what I say. Also have sense of honor, fairness, honesty and such in RL (even if it goes widely in media unappreciated traits or as traits which do not help you progress in life to richer but also more asshole direction).

Angie

Quote from: slowmojoe on March 13, 2015, 08:53:59 PM
Good responses!

Particularly pleased with the tale of Ironside.

A lot more love for thieves than I would have guessed. I'm not sure why I assumed they would get no love :(

Alright, next question:

Which Final Fantasy character are you most like; what character do you gravitate to... Which character is your Final Fantasy avatar, the closest representation of 'you' ?

This does not have to be physical. I'm thinking more in terms of personality/beliefs.

Terra. Terra Terra Terra Terra Terra. For those of you not familiar, Terra Branford is, in my eyes, one of the most badass characters in the franchise. When we meet her, she's mentally enslaved, but after breaking free, she agrees to use her natural magic against the empire and eventually unlocks her powerful Esper form. After the end of the world, she continues to use her gift to watch over a group of orphaned children, and when a demon decides to attack them, Terra just straight up demolishes the bastard. Solo. I like her because rather then being afraid of her powers, she uses them to help others, and even if it's something as simple as watching over a few children, no task is too small. I didn't much like her Dissidia version, but I like her so much I'm actually playing as Terra over in Game Protagonists at War (and we're recruiting if you're interested!)

Inerrant Lust

Hmm. I dunno. I never really had a favorite. But if there was one I had a lot in common with, it might just be Zidane. Flippant and serious all at once, both thoughtful and at time focused only on the present. Plus he's a sweetie, and I'd like to think we have something in common. ;)

I always was fond of Wiegraf, whose character arc is just great. Especially as a foil to Ramza, who started on the wrong side and then sacrificed everything to maintain his purity... while Wiegraf started on the right side and compromised his integrity- eventually becoming corrupted by the power he wields in the Aries stone. Him and Ramza could have made a powerhouse duo if he hadn't met the Temple Knights..

QuoteRamza Beoulve: Wiegraf! You live?
Wiegraf Folles: I have lived for this, Ramza. How long has it been since we last met?
Ramza Beoulve: Then you were a warrior who fought to make your dream reality. Now you are only a thrall of the Church.
Wiegraf Folles: What troubled sleep have you known, to speak of my dreams? No matter how sweet, a dream left unrealized must fade into day. Only with power can dreams be made real! I see the truth of it now. What good, dreams, without that power? You think me a thrall? So be it! Your envenomed words succour me, for when at last you yield - as you must - their poison will consume you!
Ramza Beolve : I pity you, Wiegraf. Even as a man of broken dreams, you might still have been remembered fondly. Your ideas lifted the people, showed them the cracks in the age-old facade of the aristocracy. You acted on your convictions, and so ennobled those actions! But what would the people think now? What would Milleuda and your fallen friends think of this barter you've struck? Dreams built on borrowed stone are defiled before they are made!
Wiegraf Folles: What have you done that did not rely on the labours of others? From birth you have wanted for nothing! You can not know what it is to live the meager life we do. Reason may trick you to believe you do, but your heart can never know! Harsh is the world in which we live. Harsher still than you can imagine. You have neither right nor reason to pour scorn on me!

Latooni Subota

Geez, I'm looking for a GM here for ffd6 for months and I finally give up and go on vacation to DC . . and now suddenly there's interest everything! What the heck, Elliquiy? XD

Welp, since I'm proooobably the most experience person at the system (But I haven't tried GMing yet, still working on my own campaign for a closed group for that) feel free to tap me for any questions with how junk works. As long as it doesn't involve balancing combat encounters/making monsters, I'm your gal. Also: Yes there are some rather broken-y things in the system. If you guys want the GM that taught me the system has created a bunch of errata that smooths things out, including making the Destiny system not terrible, making Job Changing more reasonable (Because lets face it, there are very few classes you would want to go straight through with), a tweak to the skill system, and even Prestige Classes that are pretty cool (though don't kick in till level 11 so are probably not needed yeah?). If you want I can throw you guys the pastebin it's all on, and you can cherry pick whatever you think is useful? (Destiny revamp is DIRELY needed, skills are second place, job changing encourages really nifty class combinations and thematic builds).

Also hi.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.