Anyone else having this issue?

Started by DemonessOfDeathValley, April 24, 2023, 07:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DemonessOfDeathValley

Quote from: BlueOrange on May 02, 2023, 02:28:38 AM
Since the error messages are explicitly about signal strength, the problem is most likely to do with the radio waves getting from the router to your devices.

If I’m right, then your devices will be fine when you’re in the same room as the router, and if you have a connection failure, then you can fix it by standing close to the router and waiting for a few moments. You’ll also have less than three bars on the WiFi symbol on your device when you’re having problems.

The first thing to do is to check if my predictions are accurate. If those predictions are accurate, then you have two basic options:
- Buy a WiFi extender, and install it in a room somewhere between the router and the room(s) where your devices don’t work.
- Pay an expert to do a network design for you.

I tried this. I tried this even when the internet company Technicians were present. It changed nothing. The apps would not work. I got the same error messages about signal strength.No matter what room I'm in, the one with router or the others without the router, the connection is the same. I have the same amount of bars.

Quote from: Greenthorn on May 01, 2023, 10:05:37 PM
Silly question but did you try a hard reset of your router? I mean way way way back, when tech schools taught Dos, our first lesson was always try turning it off and on again.

I did. That's always the first thing I try. I go through all the trouble shooting stuff. Resetting the router, turning my devices off and back on. Clearing caches, etc...

~Approximate response time - 1-7 days plus ~ Muse cooperative~

BlueOrange

How many bars is ‘the same amount’?

DemonessOfDeathValley

Quote from: BlueOrange on May 02, 2023, 08:01:29 AM
How many bars is ‘the same amount’?

For both devices, the WiFi symbol is full.

Vekseid

Did they test the wireless strength with their own wireless devices present at your place?

DemonessOfDeathValley

Quote from: Vekseid on May 02, 2023, 03:01:05 PM
Did they test the wireless strength with their own wireless devices present at your place?

They showed me the supposed signal strength on their company tablets. Then one Technician opened Hulu on their personal phone but not with our WiFi. They used their own data. But both Technicians kept showing me the signal on their company tablets even as it kept dropping out and disconnecting on my devices. And one would say "Yeeeeah it's showing connected". And they'd tell me they had done all they could do.

BlueOrange

Quote from: DemonessOfDeathValley on May 02, 2023, 08:07:21 AM
For both devices, the WiFi symbol is full.

It’s not a signal issue. As you already know, this is going to be hard to fix.

Next step is to connect to the router using a cable (instead of WiFi) and see if you have the same problems.

DemonessOfDeathValley

Quote from: BlueOrange on May 02, 2023, 05:08:46 PM
It’s not a signal issue. As you already know, this is going to be hard to fix.

Next step is to connect to the router using a cable (instead of WiFi) and see if you have the same problems.

The desk top has the same issue. It's connected to the router.

BlueOrange

Quote from: DemonessOfDeathValley on May 02, 2023, 08:50:15 PM
The desk top has the same issue. It's connected to the router.

OK, you need to say that to your service provider (make sure they know it's connected using a cable), and tell them that when their technicians came over, the technicians used their mobile data and didn't use your WiFi.

If that doesn't work, change providers.

Oniya

Quote from: BlueOrange on May 02, 2023, 09:50:36 PM

At the very least, threaten to change providers. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

DemonessOfDeathValley

Quote from: BlueOrange on May 02, 2023, 09:50:36 PM
OK, you need to say that to your service provider (make sure they know it's connected using a cable), and tell them that when their technicians came over, the technicians used their mobile data and didn't use your WiFi.

Quote from: Oniya on May 02, 2023, 09:54:42 PM
At the very least, threaten to change providers. 

This is why I've been so utterly frustrated. Nothing has fixed it, it's across multiple devices and our internet company keeps acting as if they're so diligent and so perfect.

Yes I will definitely be contacting them again tomorrow.

Hopefully I will have a better update.

BlueOrange

That’s why it’s important to mention the desktop is connected by cable. It rules out a whole bunch of possible explanations. The only remaining explanations are their equipment and their service.

DemonessOfDeathValley

Quote from: BlueOrange on May 02, 2023, 10:04:27 PM
That’s why it’s important to mention the desktop is connected by cable. It rules out a whole bunch of possible explanations. The only remaining explanations are their equipment and their service.

Thank you. I will make sure I tell them about the desk top in future.  This is the first time I've experienced anything like this.

Update: As of 7:02 am this morning all three apps have suddenly started working again. I have no idea why. However! If this issue happens again, I will be explaining it to my internet company.

Thank you to everyone who has helped. I appreciate you all taking the time.

Greenthorn

Quote from: DemonessOfDeathValley on May 03, 2023, 07:07:46 AM
Thank you. I will make sure I tell them about the desk top in future.  This is the first time I've experienced anything like this.

Update: As of 7:02 am this morning all three apps have suddenly started working again. I have no idea why. However! If this issue happens again, I will be explaining it to my internet company.

Thank you to everyone who has helped. I appreciate you all taking the time.

See my first or second reply. Someone told me it had something to do with the towers or whatever, which makes it a temporary problem. Told you I had the same thing happen and it drove me nuts  ;D ;)

DemonessOfDeathValley

Quote from: Greenthorn on May 03, 2023, 08:11:04 AM

See my first or second reply. Someone told me it had something to do with the towers or whatever, which makes it a temporary problem. Told you I had the same thing happen and it drove me nuts  ;D ;)

You did and there was that night when all this first started that Hulu came back for about an hour and a half (I watched 9-1-1 and an episode of Bob's Burgers) but then the problem happened again. I wondered if it would just spontaneously come back.

I'm not looking this proverbial gift horse in the mouth. I'm going to enjoy it while I can and report any issues if needs be.

Dingo

Since the problem disappeared for now I hope you can enjoy the situation.

I am far from an expert, but I live in an apartment building and suddenly my WiFi (already very shitty but that's due to building construction) got even more shitty. So I installed a free WiFi Analyzer on my phone and actually discovered the problem (and fixed it). My router is having a really high signal strength but using a very small number of wifi channels. And it turned out that the default of those are also occupied by just about every neighbor.

It took some fiddling on the wireless of my router, but once I moved the channel numbers to a different range, all my wifi troubles (except signal strength) disappeared completely.

There is just one too many neighbor on the similar WiFi channel and from what I understand it works in last in, first out. (Which is why rebooting your devices can also work)

RedPhoenix

Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

DemonessOfDeathValley

RedPhoenix

yay! hah seriously i feel like we went on ths journey togehter! :D
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

DemonessOfDeathValley

Quote from: RedPhoenix on May 05, 2023, 11:02:47 PM
yay! hah seriously i feel like we went on ths journey togehter! :D