I Can't Remember the Name of this Video Game!

Started by LunarSage, December 26, 2012, 12:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

It's driving me crazy.

This had to have come out in the early to mid 90s... it was a space game where you met various alien races and upon befriending them got access to their ships to defend yourself.  One of the aliens' ships had little fighters that it launched and they attacked the enemy.  I remember every time they launched a voice would say "launch fighters!".  I remember one of the alien races were essentially cowards who sounded exactly like Woody Allen.  Some of the dialogue went along the lines of this:

"Yes, when we first came to this world, some of the indigenous creatures tried to eat us.  Oh sure, when we landed, they scattered, presumably to regroup for a massive assault.  We could see them in the brush, their long ears swaying in the wind.  They were small but ferocious."

and you say to them something like:

"Bunnies?  You were scared of bunnies?!"

Is this ringing any bells with anyone?

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Starlequin

That...sounds way beyond the cool level of the 90s. I'm sorry to say I dont remember anything like that, but sweet marmalade on an engine block, I wanna play it now! Woody Allen and carnivorous bunnies? Hells yeah!
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

ReijiTabibito

Sage, are you possibly talking about Star Control 2, and perhaps the biggest cowards ever, the Spathi?

For your possible helpage, here is a YouTube clip of the Spathi speaking.

LunarSage

Bam!  It was Star Control 3 and it was the Spathi.  Released in 1996.

Thank you, Reiji!  ;D

Star Control 3 - The Spathi Take Two

Quote from: Starlequin on December 26, 2012, 02:13:27 PM
That...sounds way beyond the cool level of the 90s. I'm sorry to say I dont remember anything like that, but sweet marmalade on an engine block, I wanna play it now! Woody Allen and carnivorous bunnies? Hells yeah!

The 90s weren't cool?  Come on now... we had Leisure Suit Larry and... and Privateer!! 

Silverfyre

You can find the whole series on gog.com for under three bucks a piece, updated for modern Windows systems too!

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/star_control_3

LunarSage

Quote from: Silverfyre on December 26, 2012, 05:11:16 PM
You can find the whole series on gog.com for under three bucks a piece, updated for modern Windows systems too!

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/star_control_3

Very sweet.  That was my next question, heh. 

Thanks Silverfyre!

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: LunarSage on December 26, 2012, 04:59:10 PM
Bam!  It was Star Control 3 and it was the Spathi.  Released in 1996.

Thank you, Reiji!  ;D

You are much welcome, Sage.  Glad to know my 'completely useless knowledge of old video games' isn't so useless after all!

Seriously, though.  The Spathi are some of the biggest cowards in the known gaming universe.  In SC2, their ship - the Eluder - is a pretty quick little bugger, with rear-firing homing torpedoes.  It's very, very tough to kill if you fight like a Spathi - running away from whatever's chasing you.

And Star, the bunnies weren't carnivorous, the Spathi are just exceedingly, exceedingly paranoid.  How paranoid are they?

Their most feared thing - the ULTIMATE EVIL (yes, said like that) - they once sent out an expedition to wipe it out.  When the party came back with no signs of the ULTIMATE EVIL, how did the Spathi High Council respond?

My God!  It knows so much about us that it knows what our sensor ranges are and thus how far to stay back from our ships to lurk just out of distance of them!

Silverfyre

Quote from: LunarSage on December 26, 2012, 05:15:38 PM
Very sweet.  That was my next question, heh. 

Thanks Silverfyre!

My pleasure. I picked them up tonight and look forward to playing them.

Cycle

There's a free version of Star Control 2 available.  It is called The Ur-Quan Masters.  Easy to find via the almighty Google.  Excellent game!  Imho, SC2 was way more fun than SC3.   :-)