News:

Main Menu

Misandry.

Started by Ajoxer, December 13, 2006, 08:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ajoxer

I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

MadPanda

On...what, misandry?  Misanthropy?  Mise en scene?   ;D 
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Elvi

The opposite of misogyny Panda and just as bad.

It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

MadPanda

Oh, I know what the word means.  I was merely wondering if Ajoxer had something specific in mind, or whether he really meant the question to be this broad and open, yea, verily, like an acre of Kansas prairie.  ;D

Odd as it sounds, yes, I'm scratching my head over this one.

In Memory of Bishrook

Ajoxer

Just odd, because frankly, I find much of my trouble comes from a lack of self-esteem, a percieved inferiority. Just something that struck me, because whie I hate to even contemplate society being at fault for my screw-ups... * shrugs.*
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

MadPanda

So this is an introspective search for understanding of the general concept?

(scratches head)

Or did you have something else in mind?

In Memory of Bishrook

Ajoxer

Depressive thoughts fuelled by not enough blood sugar, really.

MadPanda

Ahhhh, okay.  I think I understand.

The stock answer is, of course, that while some guys are complete and utter jerks who deserve every ounce of loathing and contempt that others bestow upon them, it is neither just nor fair to write off half the species because of its worse members.  Nonetheless, because it is all to easy to paint with a broader brush, a certain amount of guilt-by-association is unavoidable.  This is regrettable but true.

(For misogyny, simply switch the gender references.  For racism, nationalism, sectarianism, ageism, or do-your-own-ism add appropriate qualifiers for the target group.)

In Memory of Bishrook

Celestial Goblin

As little as I know about the concept, it looks to me that misandry is something very few folks heard about.
Man-hating women aren't all that numerous and woman-hating men are much more visible. Also, humanity has a history of women being opressed rather than men, so i'd say that dangerous misandry is something relatively new.
Still, being skewered on someone's bad mood just because of your gender, it hurts the same regardless of it all. So it's bad, just less visible.

MadPanda

Oh, it isn't new at all, but it's open expression is doubtlessly a more recent development.  ;D

It is, of course, also misandry when it's a man expressing disgust, annoyance, and loathing about his own gender...although that usually gets called misanthropy, as if women are automatically included.  Sexist?  Yes.  Silly?  Also yes.

In Memory of Bishrook