Polar Icecaps/Sea Level

Started by AndyZ, September 23, 2015, 03:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

If the polar icecaps completely melted, how high would be the corresponding rise in sea level?  Sources would be appreciated where possible.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

AndyZ

Dang, that's it?  Okay, thank you.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Cycle

If my math is right, that's raising the ocean high enough to submerge the bridge part of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Oniya

This only goes up to 66 meters, but it gives you an idea of how the coastlines would change.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/09/rising-seas/if-ice-melted-map
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

AndyZ

Appreciated ^_^

I put down the entire world building thread here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=236987.0  It occurs to me that there's a LOT of such questions to which I don't know the answers.

eBadger

It's not Waterworld, but it's worth considering how many of the world's major cities are on the coast. 

Also, and probably far more destructive than rising waters, is the inevitable climate change.  The salt content in the oceans would shift, as well as temperature, changing ocean currents.  Large areas of land would become water surface, changing wind patterns.  Even the reduction in reflectivity due to lack of white ice and snow would impact weather patterns. 

All of that means that such a world would be completely different in climate: a continuation of issues like the Sahara, which was once heavily forested with plenty of rain.  The world's farmland might not drown, but it might not be any good for growing crops.  It's unknown what storms or hurricanes might occur.  Without doubt, many plants and animals would be unable to adapt to new climates and mass extinctions would occur on staggering levels. 

Oniya

I admit to only skimming it, but the Nat. Geo. article that I linked to goes into some of the climate change.

gaggedLouise

The Panama canal would turn into a natural strait, too. Not a very deep or wide one, but it could have some minor effect on the Gulf stream - which didn't exist before the isthmus formed a couple of million years ago.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"