In the Shadows of the Syndicate [Sandbox, Steampunk, Recruiting!]

Started by FlowerMagnolia, April 17, 2023, 11:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

That'd be awesome. 1300 years is a heck of a long time for stuff to advance, even before WW3 causes a total backslide. Heck, maybe human civilization thrives in space and Earth was written off as a waste of resources when the War broke everything...My inner worldbuilder is getting away from me. Sorry.

FlowerMagnolia

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 23, 2023, 09:00:25 AM
That'd be awesome. 1300 years is a heck of a long time for stuff to advance, even before WW3 causes a total backslide. Heck, maybe human civilization thrives in space and Earth was written off as a waste of resources when the War broke everything...My inner worldbuilder is getting away from me. Sorry.

No, not at all! :D Feel free to create anything you want :)

mainsnoires

Hello all,
Here is an attempt of a
character sheet
BLADE SYLAS

Profession/Position: Bodyguard hired by the Lloyd Family
Titles/Nicknames: Vex
Loyalty: Blade is loyal to the Lloyd Syndicate.
Faceclaim: Harrison Ford
Looks/Appearance: Blade stands at around six feet tall, with short, dark hair and piercing blue eyes. He has a chiseled jawline and a scar above his left eyebrow. His face is rugged and weathered, with a few lines around his eyes that suggest a lifetime of hard living. His body is lean and muscular, with broad shoulders and a narrow waist. He typically dresses in dark or brown, which allows him to blend into the shadows when necessary.

Backstory
Blade was born in the aftermath of the Last War, in a world that was barely holding itself together. His parents were killed in a skirmish when he was just a baby, thus, his childhood was nothing short of a nightmare. He learned to fend for himself on the harsh streets of London, relying on nothing but his instincts and his quick reflexes to survive.

As he grew older, Blade became more and more desperate to escape the violent and unpredictable world in which he found himself. But every time he tried to leave, he was pulled back in, forced to fight and steal to stay alive. When he was fourteen, he made a desperate attempt to steal from the Lloyd Syndicate. But instead of punishing him, they saw something in him that no one else had ever seen before – potential.

Over the years, Blade worked hard to prove himself to the Syndicate. He became Vex, a trusted member of their inner circle, and eventually rose to the position of bodyguard for the Lloyd family. It wasn't an easy path – he had to fight tooth and nail for every inch of respect he earned – but it was the only one he knew. And deep down, he knew that he owed everything he had to the Syndicate. They had taken him in when no one else would, and he would do anything to repay that debt.

Still, Blade found himself struggling to come to terms with the violent and ruthless world in which he lived. He drowned his sorrows in alcohol and women, desperate to escape the memories that haunted him every waking moment. But no matter how hard he tried, he could never outrun his past. And deep down, he knew that he would always be a part of the Syndicate – for better or for worse.

Personality, Hobbies, Talents and other Skills
Blade is a man of few words, preferring to let his actions speak for him. He moves with a quiet grace that belies the strength that lies within him. He is fiercely protective of those he cares about, and will do whatever it takes to keep them safe. He has a deep sense of loyalty and honor, and will never betray the trust of those who have placed it in him. Despite his tough exterior, Blade has a softer side that he rarely shows. He enjoys reading any novels his hands can grasp, and has a soft spot for animals. He is also a skilled marksman and hand-to-hand combatant, having trained extensively in both areas. However, his past still haunts him, and he struggles with alcoholism and dark memories of his childhood. It whispers to him in the quiet moments, urging him to forget his past and embrace the darkness.

More Inspiration

Player and their O/Os
Mainsnoires
, PM with any modifications I should do.

FlowerMagnolia

Quote from: mainsnoires on April 25, 2023, 01:21:00 PM
Hello all,
Here is an attempt of a
character sheet
BLADE SYLAS

Profession/Position: Bodyguard hired by the Lloyd Family
Titles/Nicknames: Vex
Loyalty: Blade is loyal to the Lloyd Syndicate.
Faceclaim: Harrison Ford
Looks/Appearance: Blade stands at around six feet tall, with short, dark hair and piercing blue eyes. He has a chiseled jawline and a scar above his left eyebrow. His face is rugged and weathered, with a few lines around his eyes that suggest a lifetime of hard living. His body is lean and muscular, with broad shoulders and a narrow waist. He typically dresses in dark or brown, which allows him to blend into the shadows when necessary.

Backstory
Blade was born in the aftermath of the Last War, in a world that was barely holding itself together. His parents were killed in a skirmish when he was just a baby, thus, his childhood was nothing short of a nightmare. He learned to fend for himself on the harsh streets of London, relying on nothing but his instincts and his quick reflexes to survive.

As he grew older, Blade became more and more desperate to escape the violent and unpredictable world in which he found himself. But every time he tried to leave, he was pulled back in, forced to fight and steal to stay alive. When he was fourteen, he made a desperate attempt to steal from the Lloyd Syndicate. But instead of punishing him, they saw something in him that no one else had ever seen before – potential.

Over the years, Blade worked hard to prove himself to the Syndicate. He became Vex, a trusted member of their inner circle, and eventually rose to the position of bodyguard for the Lloyd family. It wasn't an easy path – he had to fight tooth and nail for every inch of respect he earned – but it was the only one he knew. And deep down, he knew that he owed everything he had to the Syndicate. They had taken him in when no one else would, and he would do anything to repay that debt.

Still, Blade found himself struggling to come to terms with the violent and ruthless world in which he lived. He drowned his sorrows in alcohol and women, desperate to escape the memories that haunted him every waking moment. But no matter how hard he tried, he could never outrun his past. And deep down, he knew that he would always be a part of the Syndicate – for better or for worse.

Blade is a man of few words, preferring to let his actions speak for him. He moves with a quiet grace that belies the strength that lies within him. He is fiercely protective of those he cares about, and will do whatever it takes to keep them safe. He has a deep sense of loyalty and honor, and will never betray the trust of those who have placed it in him. Despite his tough exterior, Blade has a softer side that he rarely shows. He enjoys reading any novels his hands can grasp, and has a soft spot for animals. He is also a skilled marksman and hand-to-hand combatant, having trained extensively in both areas. However, his past still haunts him, and he struggles with alcoholism and dark memories of his childhood. It whispers to him in the quiet moments, urging him to forget his past and embrace the darkness.

More Inspiration

Player and their O/Os
Mainsnoires
, PM with any modifications I should do.

squeals I absolutely adore Harrison Ford as the fc! Consider him approved - I will post a character sheet tomorrow or on Thursday where we can drop all these goodies in.

Lovely Complex

FlowerMagnolia

Ok, everyone! Three things:

1. OOC thread is up for any players with approved characters!

2. Approved Characters thread is up! You can post your approved characters there.

3. Aaaand I added a timeline! Perhaps that will give a bit more clarity.

TheGlyphstone

Can we still improvise in places the timeline doesn't cover? Specifically, I was thinking about the possibility of colony expeditions to other planets/moons in the solar system, that Earth lost all contact with when the war broke out and are now only myth and legend.

FlowerMagnolia

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 26, 2023, 12:38:07 PM
Can we still improvise in places the timeline doesn't cover? Specifically, I was thinking about the possibility of colony expeditions to other planets/moons in the solar system, that Earth lost all contact with when the war broke out and are now only myth and legend.

Oh please do! It's impossible to cover everything and I am aware that it might be a bit patchy still... It's a playground for all of you as well

TheGlyphstone

Thus I present to you a church. My character shall follow soon.

The Church of Humanity Ascendant

A populist, quasi-deist faith organization, the Church of Humanity Ascendant traces its earliest roots back almost 300 years, to the Exodus Movement of the 28th century. The pioneers who altered their own genes and boarded the Exodus ships to find new homes on other worlds were mocked as fools initially, but as years passed and messages from the fledgling colonies on Luna, Mars, and Europa grew more positive, their reputation became those of visionaries who had escaped the poisoned and war-torn world of Earth. Countless people kept earth-bound by their lack of wealth dreamed of the day that Exodite ships would return to carry them to a new home in the stars.

When the Last War erupted, Luna City was wiped clean by the deadly gene-plagues unleashed - Olympus City and Europa promptly severed all contact and communication with Earth, destroying the few ships in transit to avoid infection. But their legend remained, and in the ashes of the war an odd church began to grow.

Ascendants, as they are commonly called, believe that the sins of man are rooted in their very genes, and the people who died in the Armageddon of the Last War were the most sinful. Those who once cast aside their flawed human genes had ascended to a life in paradise beyond the sky, and dutiful effort to transcend one's own sin-laden genetics would someday bring about a second Rapture. They seek out genetic augmentations to improve themselves, both from approved Lloyd Industries clinics and much more dangerous unlicensed geneticists.

A large portion of London's labor classes claim at least casual adherence to the tenets of the Church, though its membership is thinner in the middle class and quite rare amongst the wealthy. They exist in a strange sort of symbiotic antagonism with the Lloyds, who are simultaneously the chosen agents of God for delivering his wrath upon the unredeemable with genetic weapons and the oppressors seeking to stifle humanity's redemption and ascendancy by limiting access to augmetic treatments. It is led by a mysterious figure named Methuselah, who communicates remotely and has never been seen in person by any member of the Church.

FlowerMagnolia

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 26, 2023, 07:21:26 PM
Thus I present to you a church. My character shall follow soon.

The Church of Humanity Ascendant

A populist, quasi-deist faith organization, the Church of Humanity Ascendant traces its earliest roots back almost 300 years, to the Exodus Movement of the 28th century. The pioneers who altered their own genes and boarded the Exodus ships to find new homes on other worlds were mocked as fools initially, but as years passed and messages from the fledgling colonies on Luna, Mars, and Europa grew more positive, their reputation became those of visionaries who had escaped the poisoned and war-torn world of Earth. Countless people kept earth-bound by their lack of wealth dreamed of the day that Exodite ships would return to carry them to a new home in the stars.

When the Last War erupted, Luna City was wiped clean by the deadly gene-plagues unleashed - Olympus City and Europa promptly severed all contact and communication with Earth, destroying the few ships in transit to avoid infection. But their legend remained, and in the ashes of the war an odd church began to grow.

Ascendants, as they are commonly called, believe that the sins of man are rooted in their very genes, and the people who died in the Armageddon of the Last War were the most sinful. Those who once cast aside their flawed human genes had ascended to a life in paradise beyond the sky, and dutiful effort to transcend one's own sin-laden genetics would someday bring about a second Rapture. They seek out genetic augmentations to improve themselves, both from approved Lloyd Industries clinics and much more dangerous unlicensed geneticists.

A large portion of London's labor classes claim at least casual adherence to the tenets of the Church, though its membership is thinner in the middle class and quite rare amongst the wealthy. They exist in a strange sort of symbiotic antagonism with the Lloyds, who are simultaneously the chosen agents of God for delivering his wrath upon the unredeemable with genetic weapons and the oppressors seeking to stifle humanity's redemption and ascendancy by limiting access to augmetic treatments. It is led by a mysterious figure named Methuselah, who communicates remotely and has never been seen in person by any member of the Church.

Y - E - S. Love it, Glyph. I'll also do create a worldbuilding thread where all of this info belongs!

TheGlyphstone

Vunderbar.

I need to choose a faceclaim for my charismatic cult viceroy still...got a few to consider:
Jude Law

Jared Leto

Lawrence Fishburne

Joseph Kucan

FlowerMagnolia

While I have a huge thing for Jude Law - I believe that the face of Jared Leto would be more able to lead some sort of cult

TheGlyphstone

Leto and Kucan are my front runners...Jared Leto's got the Manson Family cult vibe down, Joe Kucan because Kane is awesome and brings a more militant feel.

FlowerMagnolia

True true! That depends which vibe you're going for, I suppose

TheGlyphstone

I think I'm leaning towards Kucan, for the vibe like you said. He's personally charismatic, but in the service of a group/ideal that's bigger than him, and part of what makes the Church a threat is that the Lloyds can't be too open or heavy-handed in undermining it without potentially enraging a large portion of their essential workers and sparking massive violence.

FlowerMagnolia

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 30, 2023, 06:34:22 PM
I think I'm leaning towards Kucan, for the vibe like you said. He's personally charismatic, but in the service of a group/ideal that's bigger than him, and part of what makes the Church a threat is that the Lloyds can't be too open or heavy-handed in undermining it without potentially enraging a large portion of their essential workers and sparking massive violence.

Love it!

Also, apologies everyone for the slight delay in everything. I had a 12 hour shift yesterday and a long one before that. Finally have some time at my hands!

TheGlyphstone

Been super busy with work but hopefully I can free up some time soon.

TheGlyphstone

Elijah Armengard

Profession/Position: 3rd Circle Disciple, operational right-hand of the Church's London branch
Titles/Nicknames:Eli
Loyalty:Church of Humanity Ascendant
Faceclaim:Joseph Kucan
Looks/Appearance: Tall - 6'2" - with lean muscles and bulky shoulders. Shaved head, short boxed beard, brown eyes. Has a large tattoo of the Church's emblem across his chest.

Backstory
Life outside London's gates is a miserable place, and the place where a young boy once lived. Only those who can find work in the city are permitted entry, and only until night falls. For the rest, it is a constant struggle to survive from the city's cast-off scraps and what little can be scavenged from the wastelands. Bullies and thugs take what they want, and whispered stories persist of people stolen in the night by inhuman monsters from deep in the wastes.

The boy's parents both worked in the city, until the day his father was killed in an industrial accident caused by neglected safety systems. The factory manager had blood ties to the Lloyd dynasty and escaped punishment for his negligence. When the mother fell ill soon after, no money existed to afford the needed medicines, and the boy was left orphaned. He might have died, but instead he was found and adopted by another family who had worked alongside his parents, and who were members of the quasi-legal cult of Humanity Ascendant. In his new home he found purpose and strength, a goal to aspire to and a mission to pursue, and a new name for his new life - Elijah. His dedication and fervor saw him ascend the ranks of the church rapidly, until he stood as a senior leader in London's hierarchy with only the High Disciple of London above him, other than the mysterious prophet Methuselah who led them all.

With the impending introduction of the Lloyd's secret heir to London's society, Elijah has seen a phenomenal opportunity to pursue. The sheltered young woman would have no biases against the Church, and if he could win her confidence and sway her to the Church's viewpoint, it would mean a tremendous upheaval for London's status quo.

In public sermons and ceremonies, Elijah is a bombastic firebrand, filled with zeal as he exhorts the destiny of those left behind by the Exodus and the dreams they all share of being lifted into paradise. In private he is no less zealous, but far more keen and self-controlled in his mannerisms except when his temper or energy gets away from him. He collects lore and history, and in his spare time works on assembling miniature replicas of vehicles and vessels from the ancient eras with bits of scrap. While his self-defense training is middling at best, Elijah is high enough in the Church's ranks to have earned some of the coveted but illicit unregulated genetic infusions - his blood partially absorbs fatigue toxins to enhance his natural stamina, and heightened myelination gives him a small but impactful improvement to his reflexes, a gift he is careful not to openly display in public.

Player and their O/Os
TheGlyphstone - Ons and Offs

Lovely Complex

I must withdraw from this game but good luck with it! ^^

FlowerMagnolia

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 06, 2023, 10:11:31 AM
Elijah Armengard

Profession/Position: 3rd Circle Disciple, operational right-hand of the Church's London branch
Titles/Nicknames:Eli
Loyalty:Church of Humanity Ascendant
Faceclaim:Joseph Kucan
Looks/Appearance: Tall - 6'2" - with lean muscles and bulky shoulders. Shaved head, short boxed beard, brown eyes. Has a large tattoo of the Church's emblem across his chest.

Backstory
Life outside London's gates is a miserable place, and the place where a young boy once lived. Only those who can find work in the city are permitted entry, and only until night falls. For the rest, it is a constant struggle to survive from the city's cast-off scraps and what little can be scavenged from the wastelands. Bullies and thugs take what they want, and whispered stories persist of people stolen in the night by inhuman monsters from deep in the wastes.

The boy's parents both worked in the city, until the day his father was killed in an industrial accident caused by neglected safety systems. The factory manager had blood ties to the Lloyd dynasty and escaped punishment for his negligence. When the mother fell ill soon after, no money existed to afford the needed medicines, and the boy was left orphaned. He might have died, but instead he was found and adopted by another family who had worked alongside his parents, and who were members of the quasi-legal cult of Humanity Ascendant. In his new home he found purpose and strength, a goal to aspire to and a mission to pursue, and a new name for his new life - Elijah. His dedication and fervor saw him ascend the ranks of the church rapidly, until he stood as a senior leader in London's hierarchy with only the High Disciple of London above him, other than the mysterious prophet Methuselah who led them all.

With the impending introduction of the Lloyd's secret heir to London's society, Elijah has seen a phenomenal opportunity to pursue. The sheltered young woman would have no biases against the Church, and if he could win her confidence and sway her to the Church's viewpoint, it would mean a tremendous upheaval for London's status quo.

In public sermons and ceremonies, Elijah is a bombastic firebrand, filled with zeal as he exhorts the destiny of those left behind by the Exodus and the dreams they all share of being lifted into paradise. In private he is no less zealous, but far more keen and self-controlled in his mannerisms except when his temper or energy gets away from him. He collects lore and history, and in his spare time works on assembling miniature replicas of vehicles and vessels from the ancient eras with bits of scrap. While his self-defense training is middling at best, Elijah is high enough in the Church's ranks to have earned some of the coveted but illicit unregulated genetic infusions - his blood partially absorbs fatigue toxins to enhance his natural stamina, and heightened myelination gives him a small but impactful improvement to his reflexes, a gift he is careful not to openly display in public.

Player and their O/Os
TheGlyphstone - Ons and Offs

He looks amazing, Glyph. Feel free to post him in the approved characters thread!

Quote from: Lovely Complex on May 07, 2023, 02:49:33 PM
I must withdraw from this game but good luck with it! ^^

Awww so sorry to see you go!

Luryd

• Hyperspecfic fixation  • Open-minded
• Digital Artist  • Sona|OC shipper 
• Romance lover • Fated pair type
∆Venturing into unknow written lands∆