Ego Raptor speaks many truths.

Started by Sabby, January 01, 2012, 07:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Sequelitis - Mega Man Classic vs. Mega Man X

Edit: Sorry about that, Youtube is being weird with it's embedding again Dx throwing in his examination of Castlevania as well.

Sequelitis - Castlevania 1 vs. Castlevania 2

CmdrRenegade

He inspired me to finally go back and play both Mega Man X and X2.
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Shjade

Started literally laughing in an audible fashion at the 5:30 mark when he describes his physical reaction to the quality of Mega Man X.

That said, he could benefit from cleaner editing. He clips his sentences a lot early on, and not just ones that are clearly clipped for humorous timing.

Also he made Roll cry. THIS I CANNOT FORGIVE.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Sabby

All of his clipping is done for humor xD

NotoriusBEN

indeed. if you've seen his body of flash animation (The Awesome Series, mainly), his sentence clipping is pretty much his M/O.

Im amazed that he went in depth as he did with breaking down both those games. Cant wait to see the next one

I mean... Venusaur...

CmdrRenegade

"We don't kill Pokemon!"
"We do! We do it for you, you fucking assholes!"
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

ChocoMuffin

Ahaha! I love Ego Raptors animation! He's so hilarious! And yes, it is true that modern-day games just shove down the instructions in your throat...sadly. Also, I do not own a Super Nintendo... ;A;

Inkidu

Get ZSNES or any other comparable emulator. I'm thinking about getting Super Castlevnia again.

I don't know why the gave it the title Metroidvania. Obviously, Metroid came first. The creator of Castlevania admitted to liking Metroid so much that he adopted the style. Though, now that I think on it. Metroid is better for difficulty because you can't level up. You've got to bust your ass trying to find gear, but it still requires you to be cunning.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

I wish there were more episodes of Sequelitis. D:
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

I actually think the advent of the "over explained" tutorial is a reaction to the mid 90s when games were getting a lot more abstract in their mechanics. It's most easily seen with games like X-Com or Civ II or perhaps some of the SNES RPGs. Sometimes people didn't read, or didn't have the manual and while I don't condone not reading when you're hit with a bunch of stats and open possibilities (and some manuals were crap at explaining some things) then people would either figure it out or get frustrated. These people would then go on to design games and viola, the modern tutorial.

I think Assassin's Creed Brotherhood probably has the best. They're non invasive, and if you're truly stumped about how to climb then you read their little blurb. If you got dis shit, then you climb. I know he probably wasn't using it as a specific example, but Just Cause 2 had a good tutorial. They were the beginning sets of missions. By the end of that you're able to do just about everything in the game.

Good in-game tutorial now just replace manuals. CoD 4 puts you in the training room where you go through everything, and they let you go through it as many times as you want under the guise of beating the record.

I don't think modern game design insults the intelligence per-se. In fact, I blame it on gamers growing up. We don't have time to sit through the game and learn through experimentation. We want to know what do so we can get some fun in before we run from and or pay the IRS their due.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

With the examples he was listing, it was more about having to tell you what to do when it didn't need to be said. Like, 'Escape from the police'. NO SHIT! There are cops shooting at you. That's enough for the average gamer to pick up on and understand the objective, it doesn't need to have a big golden typewriter jam the words into your face.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on March 05, 2012, 03:41:00 PM
With the examples he was listing, it was more about having to tell you what to do when it didn't need to be said. Like, 'Escape from the police'. NO SHIT! There are cops shooting at you. That's enough for the average gamer to pick up on and understand the objective, it doesn't need to have a big golden typewriter jam the words into your face.
Yeah I know, but then you run into games like Grand Theft Auto where it's the police are shooting at you, but you have to hold them off, lead them on a wild goose chase. Sure, most of the time they cleverly hide it in character dialogue, but it's still do this, player!

The only way those things ever annoy me is if they're non skip-able or if they don't turn off after the first time. That's just bad game design though.