Laptop issues.

Started by Adonis, March 10, 2017, 11:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adonis

Alright, so long story short I've been using my workhorse of a laptop for going on ... 5 years now-ish. I'm incredibly strapped for cash (end of nursing school, bring on all the testing fees!)

Ive been using this. I've recently replaced the failed SSD, and not a day or two after, my graphics card looks like it's threatening to go out on me. The OS and everything starts up for me just fine, however on occasion the screen won't turn on (no backlight either). So, with this laptop headed for what looks like an upcoming death at the worst time possible, I'm looking for options since the graphics card is integrated and I can't simply replace the part.

I know you can buy barebones kits for tower PC's, but is it possible to find something similar for laptops? Ideally, I'd love to find something that doesnt have an HDD/SSD or memory so that I don't need to pay the excess cost that usually goes with that, and I can just plug in the ones from the ASUS to save some cash.

Thoughts, anyone?
You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's
Current Muse Status: Overdriiiive

Beguile's Mistress

You might want to check out TigerDirect.com and see if they have anything that fits your budget.  Their homepage right now is showing a Chromebook for $169.00.  To some that many not seem like a lot but I know tight budgets and even a low price can be hard to scrape up.  Good luck.

Gypsy

Do you have the ability to hook it up to an external monitor to make sure the problem isn't with the screen or the cable connecting card to monitor rather than the graphics card?

<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=286451.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=244545.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279617.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245953.0"></a>     

🌹🔥🌹   on 'no writing' hiatus    🌹🔥🌹    not available    🌹🔥🌹    formerly 'Briar Rose' & 'GypsyRose'    🌹🔥🌹

TyCaine

I've replaced components in one or other of my laptops in the past, including a screen because it was failing, HD/SSD and memory modules and unlike a desktop it's never easy.  Many graphics for laptops (unless you specifically upgraded the graphics capability when you purchased it) are part of the motherboard and not replaceable or at best incredibly difficult to replace (since you may have to replace the entire motherboard). I've used GypsyRose's idea in the past to determine whether the failure is with the graphics capability or screen by simply plugging in a cheap monitor (either yours, or someone else's), and if it turns out to be the screen you can get replacements fairly cheap (from many online stores including NewEgg, TigerDirect and of all places Amazon).

If the graphics capability are at fault and are not independent of the motherboard though, you're in for a difficult fix.

I don't recall seeing much in the way of barebones laptops (though I freely admit I may just have not looked closely enough), mostly in my experience they come pre-configured (one of the reasons my primary computer is a desktop, easily fixed whenever needed, and at this point I've replaced everything but the motherboard, and am already planning on that next) but you might try looking for one in the same model family as you have, perhaps certified refurb or used, and potentially cannibalize what you need from it.

But, first things first, try a cheap external monitor (either purchased - keep your receipt, or borrowed) to see if you can determine if it's the screen or graphics capability, that will provide the direction you need to go from there. A replacement screen if that's the failing part can be had OEM from between $5-$50 depending on size, resolution and brand in my experience.
Currently tentatively looking for a writing partner or two, pitch me an idea...
My smut dance card is a little full, though I might be tempted with the right story...
Pitch me an idea...

Ons & Offs & Current Threads | Recent Posts | F-List
RPs Wanted 1 | RPs Wanted 2
Apologies & Absences

Oniya

I've done hardware replacement on laptops before - it's a bitch.  Out of necessity, things are tightly packed, covering each other up, and it's all one highly expensive jigsaw puzzle.  I'd be really surprised if there are 'user-friendly bare-bones' systems that are made with an eye towards upgrading (as opposed to 'here's a typewriter with Internet access.')
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Adonis

Yeah I've never actually used solder before, so I'm not sure enough of myself to attempt taking that stuff apart.
You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's

Beguile's Mistress

Soldering is fairly easy to learn if you have access to the tools and supplies.  You can practice on anything metal and pick up the techniques you needs.  Just be careful not to burn yourself.

Oniya

Quote from: Adonis on March 10, 2017, 02:08:52 PM
Yeah I've never actually used solder before, so I'm not sure enough of myself to attempt taking that stuff apart.

Never had to use solder on anything electronic (although I did learn the basics in metal shop), but there are a lot of teeny screws, and things tend to fit just so.  Tower/desktops have a little more flexibility in that respect.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Adonis

Aye, I've torn apart desktops time and time again. Most of the onboard stuff in the laptop though (graphics, cpu, etc) are soldered on.
O/O's

Adonis

Quote from: GypsyRose on March 10, 2017, 12:31:29 PM
Do you have the ability to hook it up to an external monitor to make sure the problem isn't with the screen or the cable connecting card to monitor rather than the graphics card?

Yes, I was able to hook it up to a television via HDMI cables, and can confirm that it wasn't just the screen. Just from memory I was able to log into the computer even with the black screen to hear the skype sign-in noises. While that was all happening, there was nothing on either the computer screen or the television.

Quote from: TyCaine on March 10, 2017, 12:48:58 PM
I've replaced components in one or other of my laptops in the past, including a screen because it was failing, HD/SSD and memory modules and unlike a desktop it's never easy.  Many graphics for laptops (unless you specifically upgraded the graphics capability when you purchased it) are part of the motherboard and not replaceable or at best incredibly difficult to replace (since you may have to replace the entire motherboard). I've used GypsyRose's idea in the past to determine whether the failure is with the graphics capability or screen by simply plugging in a cheap monitor (either yours, or someone else's), and if it turns out to be the screen you can get replacements fairly cheap (from many online stores including NewEgg, TigerDirect and of all places Amazon).

If the graphics capability are at fault and are not independent of the motherboard though, you're in for a difficult fix.

I don't recall seeing much in the way of barebones laptops (though I freely admit I may just have not looked closely enough), mostly in my experience they come pre-configured (one of the reasons my primary computer is a desktop, easily fixed whenever needed, and at this point I've replaced everything but the motherboard, and am already planning on that next) but you might try looking for one in the same model family as you have, perhaps certified refurb or used, and potentially cannibalize what you need from it.

But, first things first, try a cheap external monitor (either purchased - keep your receipt, or borrowed) to see if you can determine if it's the screen or graphics capability, that will provide the direction you need to go from there. A replacement screen if that's the failing part can be had OEM from between $5-$50 depending on size, resolution and brand in my experience.

Wasn't ignoring you, promise! With the knowledge that its a card failure, and not a screen failure, Im sitting in the "fucked" region right about now. There are a few laptops I've found that include only chipset, mobo, and graphics cards, but most of them are top of the line and I'd be better off buying a cheap computer for the time being.
O/O's