Echoes of Evil: Heroes Wanted! [NC-E]

Started by Jeramiahh, December 06, 2008, 03:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

In the vein of spectacular real-time strategy games where the player takes the role of a villain and designs an evil lair and thwarts the forces of good, such as Evil Genius and Dungeon Keeper, I have devised my own little game, here on the forums, to indulge in some evil delights, and delve into the dark side. However, there is no sense in having a dark side, if the forces of good aren't waiting to counter it, is there?

That's where you come in. I'm looking for a handful of victims volunteers, to descend into the dungeon the players have crafted, and attempt to wipe them out. Of course, the odds aren't exactly in your favor, since you're playing the antagonist, here... but on E, defeat is not always a bad thing, and I'm sure our beloved dungeons Lord and Lady will find ways to make your stay entertaining.

Applicants will need to have some knowledge of 3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons, and be willing to post fairly quickly when your turn comes for a delve into the dungeon, as the main game pauses to handle the intrusion. While things will not delve into the Extreme category, your safety is far from even suggested.

Any takers?
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Doomsday

Quote from: Jeramiahh on December 06, 2008, 03:01:03 AM
In the vein of spectacular real-time strategy games where the player takes the role of a villain and designs an evil lair and thwarts the forces of good, such as Evil Genius and Dungeon Keeper, I have devised my own little game, here on the forums, to indulge in some evil delights, and delve into the dark side. However, there is no sense in having a dark side, if the forces of good aren't waiting to counter it, is there?

That's where you come in. I'm looking for a handful of victims volunteers, to descend into the dungeon the players have crafted, and attempt to wipe them out. Of course, the odds aren't exactly in your favor, since you're playing the antagonist, here... but on E, defeat is not always a bad thing, and I'm sure our beloved dungeons Lord and Lady will find ways to make your stay entertaining.

Applicants will need to have some knowledge of 3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons, and be willing to post fairly quickly when your turn comes for a delve into the dungeon, as the main game pauses to handle the intrusion. While things will not delve into the Extreme category, your safety is far from even suggested.

Any takers?

This is based off of a RTS? What's the name? :) Also, when you say 3e of D&D, surely you mean 3.5 yes?

Jeramiahh

The actual game, Echoes of Evil, is of my own design; using D&D as the base, adding in my own rules on top of it, and, primarily, playing by ear. And yes, of course I mean 3.5; that's more a note for the people not familiar with D&D at all, since I need someone able to play. =P The games I was inspired by include Evil Genius and Dungeon Keeper.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Ouria

When you ask for posting fairly quickly, what do you mean?  Can you give me an example of the expected post rate (X number of posts per <time unit>).  I am tentatively interested, and even have a concept or two that might work for your game.  Will we be proceeding through the dungeon in a party?  Or are we looking more at single intruders?

Jeramiahh

When I say quick, I generally mean a minimum of 1 post in the game per day, since I know that the rest of us playing this are late-night people, for those of us in the US, so any more than one is trickier... I'm just not looking for someone who might post once a week.

For the most part, small or solo parties, at most, 3 members, though the distribution is skewed towards 1 or 2.

Ouria

Well, I am tenatively interested, though from what I can see, the intrusions are very short lived and...I have my doubts that a small group will be anywhere close to up to the challenge.  The CR system was, after all, made for a group of 4-5 people who take the basic classes.  I understand that the 'good-guys' are not intended to win, but I have not seen much as far as a challenge to the evil side.  I should be able to maintain the post rate that you require, though there may be a few days where I will be unable to post in the evening and will have to post in the morning.

kongming

To be fair, Jera has been going fairly easy on us to begin with - the intruders seem to be pretty low level. I imagine player characters would be higher in level, thus more challenging.

That being said, I did study the secret art of optimisation from monks in Tibet a doctor in Prague and a lawyer in the US, so am quite possibly the Cerebral Assassin, the Queen of Queens.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Elohim

Hmm,  I might be interested.  Though...  I kind of would like something a bit more long term that would involve the curruption of a paladin... 

Jeramiahh

Well, nothing says you can't retreat if things start going sour, and interested players can definitely take multiple trips. I like to keep much smaller groups, simply because it's insanely easier to handle (though the player would, if managing a group, manage them all him/herself.)

And, yes, the first two heroes, so far, have been lower level, mostly to have a little fun, and to test the waters; the first 'boss' hero I have planned will be about 10th-12th, with a sidekick, about 5-7th.

So, if you're definitely interested, PM me, and I'll reply with some basic specs for what I want the character to be (since we need a *few* surprises, after all) and I'll work on getting you set up for the next intrusion.

Ouria

Well, for right now, I am just trying to dig out my 3.5 books.  I am having trouble remembering where I put my PHB and DMG.

Jeramiahh

*chuckle* I generally rely on the internet for my books, nowadays.  http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm has all the core rules, minus a very small handful dealing with character creation that are easily covered.

GrinningHound

Quote from: kongming on December 09, 2008, 08:09:17 PM
To be fair, Jera has been going fairly easy on us to begin with - the intruders seem to be pretty low level. I imagine player characters would be higher in level, thus more challenging.

That being said, I did study the secret art of optimisation from monks in Tibet a doctor in Prague and a lawyer in the US, so am quite possibly the Cerebral Assassin, the Queen of Queens.

Female Triple H?  *drools*

I'd like to be a hero intruder.  Seems like a pretty nice, straight to the point game where I can whip up some fun character concepts and plop them into the thick.

How large is an intruder party?

Jeramiahh

Right now, they tend to be very small; 1-3 members. It's literally a die roll; 1-3 is 1 member, 4-5 is 2, and 6 is three. Actual players will be tougher than the current 'heroes' I'm running, who are, currently, about CR 5 or 6.

So, again, just drop me a PM, I'll put your name in a hat to draw for when the next hero comes up.

GrinningHound

Jeramiahh

It will likely be a few days, at least; this is long-term planning. Only one intruder can be in the dungeon at a time, and the gameplay stops as long as there is one (because minions can die!)... and it may be a few days between intrusions.

GrinningHound

Wait...so there are individual intruders?  then where do the parties come in?

Jeramiahh

A single player, ie, you, GrinningHound, will control the intruder or intruders, the 'heroes', whether there are one, two, or three. You'll be responsible for all of their actions.

GrinningHound