Chasing the Signal [Firefly/Serenity] Recruitment Thread

Started by RegretNot, October 13, 2018, 12:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RegretNot

Chasing the Signal

Introduction:

"After the Earth was used up, we found a new solar system and hundreds of new Earths were terraformed and colonized. The central planets formed the Alliance and decided all the planets had to join under their rule. There was some disagreement on that point. After the War, many of the Independents who had fought and lost drifted to the edges of the system, far from Alliance control. Out here, people struggled to get by with the most basic technologies; a ship would bring you work, a gun would help you keep it. A captain's goal was simple: find a crew, find a job, keep flying." - Shepard Book

Setting:

Taking place in 2518 when those that know the series well know the movie takes place it will touch upon things that happened in the series and movie and move farther into the fate of a crew finding themselves in the midst of a changing 'Verse.  The focus will be on one crew that is a part of a ship that has room for new crew members and passengers and others that have tangled histories depending on player preference.  This game will be story driven with the interplay of relationships between characters just as powerful as the antagonistic forces they might face.  It will not be a smut focused game (although such things do happen) but more angled towards telling a compelling story of a crew just trying to keep their boat in the air. 

Crew and Passenger Positions assignment will likely be done via application but this is an interest check for now. 

This will not be a system game but there will be a sheet that represents people's own strengths and weaknesses broadly without the need for dice. 

Basic Rules to keep in mind:

1.) Be cooperative and respectful with your fellow writers and skip the drama. 
2.) No God modding others or overstepping others express wishes with their characters. 
3.) Be involved and participate the best you can and if you will have an extended absence communicate. 
4.) This is done to be a story written by multiple writers, just as good things happen, the bad do as well, it always make the victory that much sweeter to have to overcome the setbacks and losses. 
5.) Communicate with the GM and your fellow players to make a rich environment and fun gameplay for all. 

Character Sheet:

[center][img height=250]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/0/06/Chasingsignal.jpg[/img][/center]
[float=right][center][img height=300]https://getconga.com/wp-content/uploads/connect_speaker-fillerheadshot.png[/img][/center][/float]
[font=arial][b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Home World:[/b]
[b]Profession/ Trade:[/b]
[b]Sexual Orientation:[/b]
[b]Relationship Status:[/b]
[b]O/Os:[/b]

[b]Physical Description:[/b]
[b]Distinguishing Features:[/b]
[b]Face Claim:[/b]

[center][img height=100]https://getconga.com/wp-content/uploads/connect_speaker-fillerheadshot.png[/img][img height=100]https://getconga.com/wp-content/uploads/connect_speaker-fillerheadshot.png[/img][img height=100]https://getconga.com/wp-content/uploads/connect_speaker-fillerheadshot.png[/img][/center]

[hr]
[hr]

[font=arial][b]Personality:[/b]

[b]History:[/b]

[b]Strengths:[/b]
[b]Weaknesses:[/b]
[b]Mannerisms:[/b]
[b]Languages:[/b]

[hr]
[hr]

[b]Theme Song:[/b]
[b]Additional Notes:[/b]

The Ship: The Phoenix Wave

The Phoenix Wave is an Durance Class Transport that has room for up to 8 passengers and 7 crew (counting captains quarters).  Fuel Capacity: 280 tons (600 Hours).  Cargo Capacity: 500 tons, plus an additional 120 tons in shuttle bay.  20 Tons Hydroponics†  One short range shuttle launches from the top.  8 Emergency Pods fitting 3 at most each. 

The Oddities

Vacc Suits, some acceleration suits, tools boxes etc., bear the Chinese Characters 靖警備 Jìng Jǐng Bèi which translates roughly to peace keepers, or guardians of peace.
The aft cargo bay is equipped with twin force field generators at the portals to the main cargo bay. The wiring is iffy, so probably not pressure-safe.
The medical computer in the sick bay has a large partition that is heavily encrypted.
Most internal walls on the Passenger Deck and Crew Quarters are modular in design permitting alternative layouts, with some work (doable at port, not on the fly).
Crawlspace under the bridge accessible from forward storage contains trunks and suitcases (mostly clothing) as well as a box of paperwork (ION) and the Green Book.
Some hull panels in Shuttle Bay storage rooms appear not to match those in the rest of the storage room.
Engine has been heavily modified but cannot be easily repaired by someone trying to use the standard manual. 
Secret compartments in the Machine Shop and in the Hydroponic Bay.
Two Ventral Mounted Machine Guns (200 rounds each). 

Crew Needs/ Skills Possible:

In need of a first mate and a mechanic to keep her flying, all other positions are crew with other skills, examples include.  Someone can have more than one but try not to be an expert at more than one to give other characters their own chance in the spotlight.

Skills: mechanics, hauling, illegal contact/ smuggling, haggling/business sense, cooking, tracking, weapons, muscle, culture, tactics, piloting, alliance knowledge, backwater contacts, medicine/ first aid.

Passengers: 8 maximum but cramped, 4 comfortably.  (2 taken)

Crew Positions Pending:

Crew Positions/ Major Skills In Use: Captain, Culture, Cooking, First Aid, Weapons, Piloting, Alliance Knowledge, Mechanics

Face Claims: Karl Urban, Anson Mount, Sui He, Vanessa Hudgens, Jaimie Alexander, Rose Leslie, Channing Tatum

Example and Captain:

Garret Hunter
Name: Garret Hunter
Home World: Newhall
Profession/ Trade: Captain
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Relationship Status: Unattached
O/Os: Same as Player

Physical Description: Garret stands just over six foot with a lean build as he has dark brown hair that is usually kept well cut and green eyes that remain watchful over the area he is in.  He offers a serious expression of gruffness when he isn't certain of someone or not paying attention but he can just as much offer a smirk or smile when he gets to know people.  There is a slight grey at the sides of his head near his temples that is hard to notice without a long look from a life longer than his years. 
Distinguishing Features: A scar on his neck that runs up to just under his chin.  Tattoos usually covered by his clothes that vary. 
Face Claim: Karl Urban

Personality: Garret carries a chip on his shoulder from a blue collar life and understanding the Alliance wants a galaxy of haves and have nots.  He can use humor to try and cover up some of his own bitterness at this and has a very guarded personality at first.  Those he trusts he will do anything he can for and those he doesn't might face down the barrel of a gun before they get a credit off him.  His own moral compass has been left to spin for quite some time as he finds himself trying to survive and isn't sure after being deserted by his family and choosing the losing side what right is anymore.  Overconfidence is a shield against his own worries that the things he strove so hard to be great at had only generated a moderate skill and those he wished no part of are more his wheel house.  There is a cold indifference for the Alliance despite there actually being something deeper there as he wishes to feel like he is a part of something again. 

History: Garret was born on Newhall in 2484 to Mary and Vernon Hunter.  Vernon was a shift leader in one of the large water harvesting and transport for the Alliance.  He taught Garret the value of hard work and despite their trying to make a good childhood for him he found himself helping with loads as young as the age of thirteen.  The Alliance would needle out the price on everything and with their trade tied to them it left his father always seeming to not be able to break through, they lived on a station floating the mostly sea surface of the planet as Garret always seemed to rise his eyes towards the stars.  He got his chance at the age of fifteen to go on a transport run with his father and when he saw the 'Verse itself he couldn't help but want to see more and more of it.  There was the reality that following in his father's footsteps was not something that would yield such a fate as he left his younger brother to want for his father's life.  When he turned eighteen he signed up for the Alliance Navy to pilot ships that would protect and serve the 'Verse.

It was a naive dream as Garret did make the cut off to become a pilot in the Alliance but he wasn't the natural he thought himself nor was he handling cruisers.  Garret instead found himself a co pilot on small landing craft and haulers and thus usually keeping the landing site secure while Alliance ground troops completed the mission ahead of them.  Some of the things that the Navy did were questionable as best but at least he was up in the stars.  His breaking point was the Unification Wars when he saw the way they were dispatched to deal with Browncoat Armies made up of rag tag groups.  The tactics used were sickening as he finally had enough and took hold of the stick as the gunboat he was on were firing into browncoat units so close to civilians he was assured they would be collateral damage.  He thought he could get the boat down and join the Browncoats but instead was subdued by multiple soldiers and cuffed to be court martialed for his treason. 

There was some luck to be had as the transport that would take him to a cruiser above and on to a military jail was struck by a Browncoat raid.  He was taken prisoner but later freed when his story left Browncoat leadership on the ground looking more able pilots.  Serving as a shuttle pilot he landed many and carried out many wounded during multiple battles.  Despite his skills he never claimed to be the best as he was shot down during the Battle of Du-Khang by Alliance forces.  He never saw the battle of Serenity as he was laid up in a hospital tent when the war ended after taking major injuries from a crash. 

When he returned to Newhall he was met with disappointment by his father as his brother pushed him out of being involved in the family business as it be bad to have a traitor when they dealt with the Alliance.  He told he had told Alliance forces of his location and in that moment forced Garret to flee unless being transported to a military prison, as his treason charge was still very much active.  There was a wandering as he took on work with crews doing less than legal things and slowly built up credits.  It took years before he came across the Phoenix Wave, a Equinox class transport ship that was priced to move thanks to heat on it's seller.  Over the next three years he formed his crew and has been making credits anyway he can with all manner of adventure in between and more to come it seems. 

Strengths: Tactical prowess, Capable Pilot, Good Liar, Iron Will, Good with a Gun, 'Verse Traveled
Weaknesses: Morally Lost, Notoriety with Alliance, Long Fuse but Big Boom, Lack of Ties
Mannerisms: Clenches Jaw when uncomfortable, Fingers on temples when irritated, Swallows when unsure of what to say
Languages: English, Mandarin

Theme Song: The Cruxshadows - Winterborn
Additional Notes: Treason Charge noted on Alliance Record, done in time of war and only will be used against him if charged with another crime. 

Game Threads:

OOC Chatter

Character Sheet Depot

Bibliophilia

RegretNot

Quote from: Bibliophilia on October 13, 2018, 06:07:56 AM
I would love to be involved in this.

Great to hear it, if we get a sizable crew interested I will be moving forward with recruitment. 

Aiden

ZoneyGirl

Returning after time away from my accident. Reworking a lot of things, so my search, on's and off's will be revamped over time.

My On's and Off's

RegretNot

Glad to see more interest, hopefully got a few more people interested then I will open up recruiting officially. 

NiceTexasGuy

Definitely interested on the condition we don't have a ship full of former operatives and escapees from the Alliance Academy, or anyone who thinks every Firefly class vessel is required to have a Doctor and a Registered Companion on board. (Of course that last part doesn't apply if we're playing canon characters on board Serenity)

Okay, I didn't mean to come across as an ass, but this has been the death of way too many attempts at a Firefly game.

So yeah, color me interested.
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
My Ons and Offs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=97303.0
==============
I have taken The Oath of Don't Waste My Friggin' Time

ZoneyGirl

What if one just wants to play an information broker who can just sell out to the highest bidder as it makes her money?
Returning after time away from my accident. Reworking a lot of things, so my search, on's and off's will be revamped over time.

My On's and Off's

RegretNot

Quote from: NiceTexasGuy on October 13, 2018, 02:37:15 PM
Definitely interested on the condition we don't have a ship full of former operatives and escapees from the Alliance Academy, or anyone who thinks every Firefly class vessel is required to have a Doctor and a Registered Companion on board. (Of course that last part doesn't apply if we're playing canon characters on board Serenity)

Okay, I didn't mean to come across as an ass, but this has been the death of way too many attempts at a Firefly game.

So yeah, color me interested.

As far as I am concerned all a ship needs is a captain and someone with some mechanic knowledge (doesn't need to be amazing at it obviously) everything else is extra and kind of shapes what the ship does to keep flying.  I won't come out and ban anything but I also understand that the Serenity crew were some very shiny characters, I have no problem with that but I want to see people get creative too to make their own story and be their own kind of shiny.   

Quote from: ZoneyGirl on October 13, 2018, 02:47:00 PM
What if one just wants to play an information broker who can just sell out to the highest bidder as it makes her money?

An information broker on the ship?  Depends on what they do as the characters that filter in will kind of decide that and if they go enough places of interest for information, also selling out the crew might be interesting but won't make you any friends, just saying. 

Caela

Definitely interested.

I get the concerns about too closely emulating the actual Firefly crew, but think someone with some basic medic training can be handy. Always useful to have someone who knows how to dig bullets out of your backside without making the damage worse! :D

RegretNot

I should be getting up more information and the character sheet as a modify this to a recruitment thread later today.  I will put out possible crew positions but as I said before all don't need to be filled and there is no reason for there to be only one crew member with knowledge of the ship mechanics or how to handle a gun.  There also won't be a waiting for another type of position if it works just fine.  I will be making a character as captain just so there isn't an inherent conflict on: A.) Who's ruttin' boat it is?  B.) Where we are going to start this gorramit story.  Other than that I will try to get him up so others can form bonds with him if they want or come in as new hands / passengers. 

Any questions before that I should be around off and on all day. 

Marie Reynolds

Hello, Definitely interested.

Zoey it is quite possible to  play a broker type especially if combine it with being a  fence as well. I did it and the character was a  great boon to the  ship.  He also treated those on the ship fairly and with respect and looked after them cause  after all they were an  aspect of his  business and if he did not see  to them properly looked at  cared for then it was a reflection on him and made  him  a bad  businessman. Also he was the most well dressed. God help who ever messed with his crew.  One  npc did and  it was not a pleasant end when my character  and the ships  doc  got a  hold of  him.

Rebelle

Interested as well.

Considering a mechanic/tinkerer type

CurvyKitten

I'm totally up for making a pilot or the Gunner muscle type.

Caela

Thinking a gunhand with some basic trauma medic skills (she'd be able to dig out a bullet without making the wound worse, slap on a dressing for a cut, set a bone, throw in some stitches - just don't expect them to be pretty!) but by no means would she be an actual doctor. If you were sick she'd just tell you not to share. 

Aiden

I'm thinking of something along the lines of an independent settler, scouting new worlds for a settlement. Or something along the lines that requires travel

Bibliophilia

I was thinking of playing a registered Companion, honestly.

RegretNot

Recruitment is now open.  Information updated along with skills needed, the ship being used, and captain posted as well for those wished to tie into him.  If you are interested in being really good at a skill or having a position needed, post so I can put it in pending so people making characters are aware.  Thanks to all for their interest.  Now...

Rebelle

Aiden

I'm leaning towards passenger, so perhaps I can join at a port or be en route (but end up more permanent over time IC)

Can even make it, his payment is covering this journey to TBD by Gm OOC and the captain IC

Want to reserve Anson Mount, Bio and sheet IP

RegretNot

Added the mechanic position is pending and a passenger is taken.  Put in the face claim for Anson Mount so people can see who is claimed. 

Bibliophilia

I'm interested in playing a registered Companion who can cover cooking and culture as her skills.  I'm using Sui He as the face claim.

CurvyKitten

Do you want a pilot since you captain is one? If not, no biggy I can totally come up with a different concept. :)

RegretNot

Quote from: CurvyKitten on October 14, 2018, 08:21:33 PM
Do you want a pilot since you captain is one? If not, no biggy I can totally come up with a different concept. :)

They could use a good or great pilot.  The Captain is a good pilot on a good day and moderate on others, I made that obvious in his background so if someone is interested they can gladly be the main pilot. 

Bibliophilia

Regret, would you prefer sheets posted here, PMed or does it matter?

Rebelle

Vanessa Hudgens is going to be my face claim btw too

RegretNot

Quote from: Bibliophilia on October 14, 2018, 08:30:05 PM
Regret, would you prefer sheets posted here, PMed or does it matter?

They can be posted out in the open to give people ideas on where to make connections. 

Caela

Thinking a gunhand with basic trauma medic skills (she prefers her gun to playing medic but if you need a bullet yanked out she can help).

Jaimie Alexander as the face claim please.

CurvyKitten

I would like to reserve the face claim Rose Leslie. :)

Caela

Name: Regan Warwick
Home World: Hera
Profession/ Trade: Mercenary (gunhand, some trauma medic training)
Relationship Status: Single
O/Os: Regan is pretty open and adventurous when it comes to sex, very few things are on her "absolutely fucking not" list but these include anything to do with bathroom play, animals, permanent marking/maiming and underage partners. Outside of those, ask...she just might surprise you.

Physical Description: At 5'11, Regan is tall for a woman with a fall of chestnut hair that varies in length from being cut up near her ears to being a sweeping fall to the middle of her back depending entirely on the whims that take her when she makes planetfall, or what would best suit a job she chooses to take. Long limbed and athletic, she cleans up nicely (when she chooses to) and looks out on the 'Verse with a jade green gaze that is often sparkling with some sort of amusement and a slightly sardonic curve to her lips that says that amusement is likely at someone else's expense.
Distinguishing Features: Her height | a tattoo of a phoenix on her right hip (covers a circular scar that is also on that hip and those that know what they're looking at (if close enough to even see it) will recognize the bullet hole for what it is) | a tatoo of a large oak losing it's leave with the name Lissandra and a date up in the falling leaves (don't ask, she won't explain) on the upper left quarter of her back | earlobes are pierced and the cartilage at the top of her right ear is as well | a scar on her back at the lower edge of her right ribcage makes it clear someone tried to stick a knife in her kidney and mis-aimed hitting her ribs instead
Face Claim: Jaimie Alexander

Personality: Intelligent | Intuitive | Sarcastic | Kind to those that let her be | Ruthless when forced to be or on a job | Passionate when she cares about something | Loyal once she decided someone is worth trusting | Has a generally friendly demeanor while making up her mind about people | Slow to trust no matter how friendly she may seem outwardly

History: Born on Hera, her mother ran a small orchard and her father was a school-teacher giving Regan and her two older brothers a relatively idyllic childhood. Most days were spent running through, and climbing, the trees their mother tended or in lessons taught at their father's knee when the weather didn't let them go outside. They learned early how to hunt and fish and regan generally enjoyed almost any outdoor activity her brother's could think of.

If not for the Unification War, she might never have left Hera and would have happily taken over the orchard from her mother while her brothers went to school to further their own interests. The oldest wanted to be a mechanic and the younger of the two (the middle child of the family) had wanted to go to a Core planet to study medicine which made the entire family proud.

Then the War ripped their family apart. Already gone for his schooling, her youngest brother remained in Alliance territory (last she'd heard of him he was serving as a military surgeon but that was years ago) while Regan and her oldest brother joined the Independants. In theory Regan didn't have any problem with Hera joining the Alliance if that's what the population wanted, but she balked at being forced to do anything, especially when those decisions were being made by people lightyears away who'd never even stepped foot on Hera! Their parents, not wanting to lose any of their children, tried to remain neutral and waited to see how things would play out.

Regan wasn't on Hera when the battle of Serenity Valley ended the war but her oldest brother was and was counted among the casualties. To this day she wonders if she might have been able to save him if she'd been there watching his back, or if they both would have died. She'd been trained as a trauma medic, she might have been able to stop his bleeding til the surgeons could arrive, but he still could have bled out before he could be saved as well. She'd never know, and the not knowing haunts her - though she won't admit it.

Since the war she's found work mostly as a mercenary. Hiring on to act as a gunhand to various crews shipping goods along the edge of Alliance territory. Like many former Independants she's got a record with the Alliance and while she might not be important enough for them to hunt down, they wouldn't mind tossing her into a cell if she fell into their lap.

Currently she's serving on the Pheonix Wave as a gunhand and part time medic (if someone gets shot she'll pull the bullet and put in a few stitches but if you need real doctoring you'd better hope they're near a planet!) and has been there for about six months. She likes the unique personalities of the crew and has even gotten friendly with the pilot Namid. The redhead's antics are hard to resist and just make Regan laugh. She can't help thinking Namid might need a keeper (especially when she's been drinking!) but it's far more fun to be her wingman! 

Strengths: Excellent aim | handy with a knife | tracking | connections to old Browncoat cohorts and through some of her former mercenary jobs | can be surprisingly diplomatic
Weaknesses: Prefers her gun to diplomacy | Quick temper | slow to trust | questionable morality (she has her own moral code and doesn't give a shit about what "society" deems right and wrong)
Mannerisms: Twirls her hair when she's tired | hands tense over her hips (when not wearing her gun holsters) or on her guns when she's agitated | if she doesn't like someone she'll draw herself to her full height and meet their eyes with a pointed aggressiveness that usually makes them back slowly away from her
Languages: English, Mandarin

Theme Song:
Additional Notes:

RegretNot

Bibliophilia

Name: Mei Kwan
Home World: Beaumonde
Profession/ Trade: Companion
Sexual Orientation: Omnisexual
O/Os: Biblio's O/O's

Physical Description: Mei is of obvious Chinese descent and it's clear from her smooth, unblemished skin and well-nourished form that she has lead a life of some ease and security.  She moves with grace, speaks in intelligent, cultured tones as warm and fulsome as honey, and dresses in rich, jewel-toned fabrics that effortlessly enhance her natural beauty.  Her thick, straight black hair is typically braided or pinned up when she isn't with a client, and she opts for more subdued make-up at those times, too.  Still, unless she is in the middle of work, one is hard-pressed to catch her looking unkempt.

Distinguishing Features: High cheekbones; a small, delicate tattoo of an orchid on her left hipbone.
Face Claim: Sui He

Personality: Like most Companions, Mei is not precisely the same person with her clients that she is when she is not working.  Nor is she precisely the same person with each client.  While she would argue that she is never really anyone but herself, some might consider her ability to adjust certain traits to suit her company a sign of a dishonest nature.  Mei thinks of it as simply another means of giving her client the experience they are paying for, no different than the clothing she chooses, the make-up she applies or the manner in which she styles the shuttle she rents.  None of those cosmetic alterations hides or alters the fundamental reality, they merely enhance and costume it.  When she is not working, however, her personality is warm, caring and, some might even say, maternal.  She loves cooking for the crew of the Phoenix Wave, and she has a knack for making even the most basic protein more palatable, but she really shines when cooking more traditional Chinese dishes.  She views the ship's crew and, after a period of time, passengers as her family, one that she has chosen for herself and not an accident of biology.

History: Mei was born on Beaumonde as the younger - by 4 minutes and 38 seconds - of a set of identical twins.  She and her sister were very close growing up, and they were the jewels of her wealthy parents eyes.  Their mother was a mid-ranking, but influential and fast-rising, member of the Alliance government and their father was a concert cellist who performed with one of the best symphonies in the 'Verse.  As a result, the two girls had the best of everything growing up, including tutors who traveled with the family on their frequent interplanetary jaunts.

Given the girl's beauty and breeding, as well as natural charm and intelligence, it was of little surprise that when they made their official debut at sixteen they were very popular.  The attention of wealthy, attractive men and women vying for their company and affections was a heady brew to the girls and they reveled in it.  However, it wasn't long before the gilding wore off and they discovered that their mother was leveraging them as a means of furthering her own status and career.  Upon finding out that they were, essentially, being auctioned off to the highest bidders, the girls began to plot their escape, rather than discover themselves married to people they didn't love.

They managed to flee Beaumonde aboard a less-than-reputable ship bound for the rim worlds, where they were highly unlikely to meet anyone who knew them or be picked up by Alliance and returned home.  Of course, the naive girls didn't realize they'd delivered themselves from one set of greedy hands to another, and the ship's captain merely sold the two of them to a Companion training house on one of the border planets.  Mei's sister balked at their situation, and despite Mei's attempts to convince her that the best and, really only, course was to accept their fate, she fought every step of the way.  The day that the priestess of the Companion House sent Mei's twin away was the hardest one of her life, and she was inconsolable for weeks.

Gradually, however, she came to understand that the only way she would be free to find her twin was to complete her training and earn her position as a registered Companion.  Once that was done, she was able to strike out on her own; find herself a ship that would take her on and allow her to hunt for her lost sister as she traveled the 'Verse over.  The Phoenix Wave was her third ship, and the one she grew to love and to consider home.

Strengths: Intelligent; Cultured; Charming; Well-Traveled; Respectable; Good Cook; Empathetic; Intuitive; Influential Ties
Weaknesses: Trusting; Bad Shot; Soft-Hearted; Stubborn; Fiery Temper; Shady Past; Nyctophobic
Mannerisms: Presses fingertips to lips when fighting not to say something; Squares shoulders when getting ready for a confrontation or argument; Curls into a ball and hugs her legs when frightened.
Languages: English; Mandarin; Russian; Hindi; French

Theme Song: Clocks - Twelve Girls Band
Additional Notes: Mei doesn't discuss her past, and if asked will generally redirect the conversation in a subtle, polite, charming way that makes the other person unaware of her actions.

Marie Reynolds

Oh what time period is  this. Are we going after   The serenity movie before or during?

RegretNot

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 14, 2018, 10:12:58 PM
Oh what time period is  this. Are we going after   The serenity movie before or during?

2518, when the game starts it will be literally pretty much on the other side of the 'Verse from where Serenity is currently playing out. 

CurvyKitten

Name: Namid Aisling O'Malley (Nammi, Red, Little Star (only by her father))
Home World:Persephone
Profession/ Trade: pilot / smuggler
Sexual Orientation: Bi
Relationship Status:Single
O/Os:
Namid is a passionate woman and one that goes for what she wants. Sometimes that is a good hard romp in the cockpit, and sometimes its a long slow bath with a lover. Spanking, hair pulling, playful bondage, a good kisser, strong-willed (no pansy men for her), touching, teasing, foreplay (but don't start anything you can't finish!), really she isn't shy about trying what feels right.

Offs: bathroom play, excessive pain, vore, gore, bestiality, being forced (if it happens icly in the story expect a hell of a fight!), weak-willed partners, liers, feet, overly stinky,

Physical Description:
Namid is light on her feet considering she's lived in space most of her life. She stands about 5'6'' and has vibrant red hair, and lovely green eyes. Her style tends to run on the tomboy side of things. She is a bead head a boot type of girl. But below her boyish style she is a lithe and curvy woman. Pale skin dotted with freckles here and there. A few scars here and there from a life well lived, and fights won and lost.

Distinguishing Features:
Face Claim:

Personality:
Namid is a rough and tumble type of girl, she doesn't back down from a fight. And she doesn't scare easily either. She's hopped from place to place, ship to ship so her connections stay mostly on the business end of things. But when she ends up calling you friend know that she will always have your back.

She isn't one to coddle someone, so if you don't want to hear the truth then don't ask. Namid can have a temper at times, but it's normally for good reason....or because you've come between her and a good drink. She has her vises but in the end her skills and light hearted attitude tend to keep people coming for more. It's how Namid has collected the network of connections she has. Some of them may say she is damn crazy, but they always know she sticks to her word.

History:
Namid was actually the daughter of one of the high societies families of Persephone. A beautiful young woman that did the most cliche of things and fell for the bad boy. That bad boy being her father, of course. Originally he was a racer, a man that dreamed of speed and fame. But the family business kept him from accomplishing anything legit. So for a short time, he tried to turn to those he thought could help him achieve his goals. His brother, of course, followed it seemed like the thing to do at the time. After all, someone had to watch the fools back right?

Well, long story short and Namid's mother became pregnant. This, of course, didn't sit well with her dear ol daddy and she was sent off. Now Namid's father lovesick as he was followed suit and found her just as his little girl was coming into the world. Her mother's family wanted to do away with the bastard, and her fathers wanted to sell her to the highest bidder do with the family she was linked to. Neither option sat well with her parents for obvious reasons.

They had two choices, run off together or part ways. Now Namid's father was all set to leave both families behind, but her mother wasn't so set on the idea. In the end, she never met him at the spaceport, sending only a small box of goods and some money. Hurt and betrayed her father hopped on his small ship, his brother in tow and hit the skies.

Neither of them had any idea who to raise a baby girl, so there was a great deal of learning on everyone's part. And honestly, if anyone could have filmed those first few years, it could be comical gold for decades to come. But they survived, moving from planet to planet, from ship to ship and job to job. Both her dad and uncle taught her all they knew, most of which was probably the worst oh habits. But it was all they knew, and in the end, she was loved and that was what mattered most. Her father always called her his Little Star.

When she was 12, they took a job for the cartel, to go into Alliance territory and get something for them. Namid had no idea what it was, she was just in charge of manning the ship. Even at that age, she could fly well enough to be a getaway pilot. But something went wrong, and Namid soon found herself surrounded by Alliance ships. Someone had turned against them, little did she know that it was her uncle. At least she didn't know until she was dragged onto the Alliance cruiser and dropped before the Captain. He thought it was a joke that they had let her pilot. But her uncle assured them, she was skilled enough to hold onto. So they did, despite her fighting them every step of the way. They tested her and found out she was rather skilled. Only just as they were going to place her into some special program, all hell broke loose in the facility she was imprisoned in and Namid did what she did best...she ran.

She felt guilty for leaving her father, hated her uncle for betraying them, and has been running and giving the Alliance hell ever since. Years passed as Namid traveled the verse with one group or another. Eventually, Namid found herself on the Pheonix Wave as their pilot. She's given the crew a few interesting rides, but she always makes sure they come out ok. Among the crew, Regan has bravely become her friend. She's quickly learned that Namid is going to keep life interesting, but also that she'd never have someone better backing her up. All in all Namid has possibly found a place worth sticking around for more than just a trip or two.

Strengths:
Highly skilled good pilot(Yes she is just that damn good:P), Connections across the verse, Astronavigation, photographic memory, reaction time, brawler, escape and evade, Drink like a fish-hollow leg(high! alcohol tolerance)

Weaknesses:
regularly drinks, she has a record, Slow to trust, amoral, Hell of a temper when finally pushed to her breaking point, tact

Mannerisms:

Languages:
English, Mandarin, Gaelic

Theme Song:
Cage The Elephant - Ain't No Rest For The Wicked

Additional Notes:
One of her main goals is to find her father, and get him free from where ever he is stashed. The only problem is she isn't really sure who has him, and where he's been traded too. But she won't give up, not until she is given a real reason to.

To find her Uncle and put a bullet in his brain pan for betraying them. He turned against them and cost her everything she cared about. And she still has no idea why, all she knows is he deserves to die for turning against his own.

Beyond that Nammi hasn't ever really thought of settling down or some grand goal for her future. She wants to survive, to keep herself in the sky and keep living a life worth living. Which probably means she'll never go straight, but who knows what the future holds. Maybe someday she'll end up finding something else worth living for.

Aiden

Name: Marshall "Herc" Castle
Home World: New Huntsville, Beaumonde
Profession/ Trade: Distiller/ Brewer / Explorer
O/Os: Taste vary, unlikely any hard limits will be hit for this sort of game.

Physical Description: Marshall frame leans on the taller side and above average for a man his age. He is not a young man anymore but his frame sports a long disciplined history of both a laborer and veteran.
Distinguishing Features: Long brown hair, scar across his stomach and a covered up tattoo along his ride arm in the form of a stalks of barely, corn and rye.
Face Claim: Anson Mount

Personality: Herc as he prefers to be called is the epitome of Rim world elite, or at least he was. A lot of the mannerisms instilled in "Southern" men still shine through the last few years, he is not afraid to roll up his sleeves and get his hands dirty. Well educated and familiar with politicking and government, he knows enough he would rather be elsewhere then running for election as a magistrate or Marshall.  He walks with a confident if not comfortable stride and is not prone to unnecessary motions with his arms. It's a shame the people in his life are just passing by as he moves on to the next port or planet.

History:
Like all boys born to the Castle Clan, Herc was raised to one day run a farm and a still. The Castle Family does not date as far back as those who first settled on Beaumonde, but in the few generations since, they have made a name for themselves in a relatively short amount of time. With large land holdings and a firm grasp on the whiskey trade, the Castle family carved themselves a growing status within the Rim and were levying that for larger recognition within the Core.

The family split in half during the build up to  succession war, Herc went off to the Alliance Academy along some of his other siblings and cousins. He served loyally and without incident, knowing every order and command could warrant his own kin to death. As the war came to an end, Herc could barely face his family and acknowledge the losses they had suffered on both ends. It was difficult to take in a harvest when every disagreement turned into brawls and every dinner became another debate. Rather then drown himself in his cups, he took off for the skies, wandering.

Herc lost himself for some time, moving port to port as he lost that stiff edge to him. He went from the Rim and Core, eventually adapting into a pseudo explorer. He found a joy in returning to his roots back home in the shape of distilling and stops only go as long as needed to sell off his last batch or even pass on his knowledge for a fair price. Herc has been living job to job and port to port for the last couple years, the thoughts of returning home slowly fading away.

Strengths: Diplomatic, Swordsman, Well Mannered, Educated, Hardworking, Composed, Connected among the "elite" of the core and rim.
Weaknesses: Amoral(ish), Stubborn, Lost
Mannerisms: rarely expressive, scowls when frustrated, taps foot when anxious
Languages: Mandarin, English - Core Speech and Frontier Slang

Theme Song: Three Shades of Black
Additional Notes: Herc doesn't like guns but that doesn't mean he won't use one.

Bibliophilia

Ooo...another Beaumonder!  -grins.-  I love that face claim, too.

Mathim

Was thinking of a passenger character. They're a controversial country singer/rocker type who books gigs that really get butts in seats because of his message and antics on stage, but is very frowned upon by the conservative community/alliance types, but since he's not technically doing anything illegal or subversive, they can't stop or silence him. He's got the crazy rockstar lifestyle, though; drugs and booze, and subsequently plenty of connections all over the 'verse to get what he wants in case the crew needs any contacts with shady folk who need things delivered or hidden for a time.

Would that type of thing work?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

RegretNot

Quote from: Mathim on October 15, 2018, 01:09:48 PM
Was thinking of a passenger character. They're a controversial country singer/rocker type who books gigs that really get butts in seats because of his message and antics on stage, but is very frowned upon by the conservative community/alliance types, but since he's not technically doing anything illegal or subversive, they can't stop or silence him. He's got the crazy rockstar lifestyle, though; drugs and booze, and subsequently plenty of connections all over the 'verse to get what he wants in case the crew needs any contacts with shady folk who need things delivered or hidden for a time.

Would that type of thing work?

This would work as long as he can pay his way and isn't holding up the crew anywhere and if he is paying them for the inconvenience, not as strict on passengers as they don't have to be "helpful" for the ship.

Bibliophilia

Regret, just wanna make sure my girl is good to go?

Also, I'm down to forge connections between her and crew or guests.  I see her having been renting a shuttle from Captain Hunter for at least a year, possibly longer.

RegretNot

Quote from: Bibliophilia on October 15, 2018, 10:56:51 PM
Regret, just wanna make sure my girl is good to go?

Also, I'm down to forge connections between her and crew or guests.  I see her having been renting a shuttle from Captain Hunter for at least a year, possibly longer.

The sheet seems sound, with only one shuttle, not sure she would rent it as much as likely have a nice crew room and have use of the shuttle when they are near or on planets. 

Bibliophilia

That works.  She'd only need the shuttle as a means of meeting clients in private, either by going to them or giving them a secluded area on ship.  So, she'd only need it when they were at or near planets.

Aiden

Mathim

Quote from: RegretNot on October 15, 2018, 10:54:34 PM
This would work as long as he can pay his way and isn't holding up the crew anywhere and if he is paying them for the inconvenience, not as strict on passengers as they don't have to be "helpful" for the ship.

Oh, he's making plenty enough to make it worth any trouble he'll cause (as long as they don't touch his stuff without his permission), he may need to borrow the shuttle to go to a gig if they're not going to be able to take him there on the main ship but that's about as inconvenient as he'll make himself. But with the reliable and inflated rent he can afford and the extra work he can bring their way in a pinch (they can charge him extra for transportation if he needs to be brought to any gig, basically), it's a pretty good arrangement for the ship overall. He likes to preserve his image as rebellious so what's better for that than being on a ship like theirs, not settling down anywhere permanent and working with folk who do dirty jobs for a living?

If that sounds acceptable, I'll work on a character sheet.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

RegretNot

Quote from: Mathim on October 16, 2018, 02:55:03 PM
Oh, he's making plenty enough to make it worth any trouble he'll cause (as long as they don't touch his stuff without his permission), he may need to borrow the shuttle to go to a gig if they're not going to be able to take him there on the main ship but that's about as inconvenient as he'll make himself. But with the reliable and inflated rent he can afford and the extra work he can bring their way in a pinch (they can charge him extra for transportation if he needs to be brought to any gig, basically), it's a pretty good arrangement for the ship overall. He likes to preserve his image as rebellious so what's better for that than being on a ship like theirs, not settling down anywhere permanent and working with folk who do dirty jobs for a living?

If that sounds acceptable, I'll work on a character sheet.

Sounds like it will work. 

Quote from: Aiden on October 15, 2018, 11:53:31 PM
Done!

Herc looks good. 

Aiden

Caela

And Regan is all done for the moment. Final tweaks may need to be made yet.

CurvyKitten

The whole day(and night) got away from me, but after a it of rest I will get my sheet done.

Love the BG link Caela, it fits Namid very well LOL.

NiceTexasGuy

I think I'm going to have to opt out of this one -- best of luck to you guys.
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
My Ons and Offs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=97303.0
==============
I have taken The Oath of Don't Waste My Friggin' Time

RegretNot

Quote from: Caela on October 16, 2018, 10:59:41 PM
And Regan is all done for the moment. Final tweaks may need to be made yet.

Regan looks good to me. 

Quote from: CurvyKitten on October 18, 2018, 12:29:40 AM
Finished up Namid! Sorry for the wait. :)

We have a real pilot now. 

RegretNot

I will be making threads and posting links tomorrow as I hope to get the game started in about a few days so I can let the last few finish their sheets, but it looks like we have a good group so far.  Still plenty of room on the Phoenix for other players. 

Rebelle

Name: Delilah Wainwright
Home World: Deadwood
Profession/ Trade: Mechanic/Tinkerer
O/Os: See Players

Physical Description: Standing an impressive mighty 5'1, Delilah has dark hair that comes past her shoulders, startling dark brown eyes and hands that are usually stained with oil or grease.  She tends to wear clothes that are comfortable, neither tight fitting nor loose, but completely her. 
Distinguishing Features: None really, minus a birthmark that looks almost like a crescent moon on her stomach, but you have to squint kinda funny like to make it resemble such.  A few scars and whatnot on her arms and hands from her job, but nothing unseemly.
Face Claim: Vanessa Hudgens

Personality: Delilah was raised right by her father.  She is honorable and believes in a strong code.  Not letting folks muscle or be bullies.  She has a strong dislike for the Alliance, unable to forgive them for the atrocities committed during the war, or for killing her father.  She is loyal to her shipmates as long as she can trust them, which is sometimes hard for her to do – as she knows what wickedness can lay in the minds of others.  She is stubborn and digs in her heels when she believes she is right.  She’s outgoing and charismatic, but… there is a reckless side to her.

History: Delilah Wainwright was raised by a man who knew how to put hammer to metal, wrench to lugnut, and make almost any sort of machine purr under his ministrations.  Her mother had been poorly whilst she was pregnant with the young babe, and she was lost shortly thereafter.  She don’t remember too much about her momma, other than for the fact her daddy always said she had her eyes, and was the best gift that his Ava could have given him before she parted.  Her father, Sebastian was a good sort of folk, honest to the core and didn’t take a liking to bullies.  There were those who thought that on the planet of Deadwood there weren’t a man braver and more honest. And when the Alliance reared its ugly head…Well… Unfortunately, for those qualities, dear Bash lost his life leaving Delilah an orphan. 

Course she wasn’t that young, had already apprenticed for her papa, but the planet just weren’t the sort of place for a near woman to be on her own.  Course, there were those who had less than honest and true intentions about her lot in life and if it hadn’t been for her father’s brother Zeke, she would have perished or much much worse.

At first, she was just a passenger on the ship, that was until the mechanic took to his bed sick and weren’t ever to wake up again.  Uncle Zeke needed a hand quick, and she was there ready to help out, after all that’s the way her father taught her to be.  Always lend the hand.  Plus, she liked the ship, something about her.  So she quickly went from being the Captain’s niece to the Captain’s niece and most trusted member of his crew, much to the chagrin of the others.  The ship was hers and hers alone to touch, and there weren’t a soul who would go into the engine room without her permission, simply due to the fact that they were too rough with such a precious instrument.  She also managed to endear herself to a few rougher members of the crew, who taught her a few things about.. well… let’s just say she knows how to set multiple types of detonators off, different sorts of switches to create, and the like.  And taught her to.. well defend herself, but not in the normal gunslinger fashion.  A girl has to understand how to protect herself in the ‘verse after all, can’t always be hiding around the engines and the sort.

Unfortunately, it was that same crewmember who had taught her so much that landed her uncle in a bit of hotwater, and by a bit… Old Zeke had to face the hardest decision of his life.  He had to put her up for sale, leave the skies for a little while, and keep his head down.  He weren’t one to turn in one of his crew, though if it had been anyone else.. He might have.  So when he found a buyer, there was no looking back – save for his niece, Delilah.  Who was not about to give up the ship that had become her home for several years past, so… There was an… altercation, to put it mildly.  Delilah refused to budge from the engine room, and finally made a stand against the man who would become her captain.  She told him for an honest wage and proper parts for the ship, she’d be his mechanic.  She wasn’t asking for much after all, and who else knew the ship better than her?  She…of course.. hadn’t told the captain at the time of her.. other skills.  But.. well.. He learned of those on an occasion when there were those raising a ruckus and she wasn’t about to see the man who bought the ship get killed.  A few concussive grenades, nothing lethal mind, and good ol’ cap was good to fly the skies again.  She likes the crew that the ship has now, they seem to be a good bunch and she trusts them to keep the ship right, the captain upright, and if there’s a lick of trouble, to get all of them out of it.

Strengths:
Weaponsmith – From pistols to knives, she can hone a blade and fix a jammed gun with a quickness.  She’s been known to modify a few weapons to aim better, or to silence them.

Mechanic – there isn’t an engine she can’t cajole into working, if she’s got the parts, and if she doesn’t have the proper parts, she can make something work for a time at least.

Explosive devices – It’s not that she’s a Firestarter or an arsonist, but there is a streak in her that understands the chemical compounds, casings, triggers, and switches needed and can make non-lethal versions as well.

Creative Combatant – she’s not the sort who goes looking for a fight, and she can also appear to be the least threatening in the room, which she tends to use to her advantage, as well as items that most wouldn’t think about using for such things.

Well-Schooled – her daddy might have been a salt of the earth sort of fellah, but her mother had been well educated and he wanted the same for his little girl.  It was his dying wish that she continued on with that education and it has served her well.

Innocent Aura – There’s something about the girl, the way she acts, the way she looks.  Some would take her to be an innocent and incapable of doing harm or the like.  She’s used this to her advantage a time or two.

Cleans up Nice - Nuff said

Weaknesses:
Honest to a fault – the girl doesn’t have a filter, so she’s been practicing ‘if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say it at all.’ It works sometimes, other times.. Not so much.  This does not affect her poker playing skills.

Weak Shot – She’s not a good shot with a firearm at all whatsoever. 

Can’t hold her liquor – She’s a cheap drunk, super cheap drunk.

Mannerisms:Tends to stick with those she knows in a crowd, fidgets when meant to be sitting still or is uneasy, tends to overexplain things when it is in her wheelhouse, especially when she’s nervous.
Languages:English, Mandarin

Theme Song: God’s Gonna Cut You Down – Johnny Cash

Additional Notes:

Mathim

Name: Hogarth 'Garth' Bourdain
Home World: Beaumonde
Profession/ Trade: Singer/Guitarist; passenger on ship, not part of crew
Sexual Orientation: Hetero Male
Relationship Status: Single, open but with conditions
O/Os: Anything other than severe pain, blood and mutilation.

Physical Description: Tall (6'3"), Caucasian, dirty blond hair, green eyes
Distinguishing Features: Long unkempt ponytail, perpetual 5 o'clock shadow, signature classy cowboy garb, usually slinging a guitar
Face Claim: Channing Tatum

Personality:
Garth is a rabble-rouser by nature, even if only saying something jokingly, it will likely upset whoever hears it and that's fine with him, if they don't laugh it off along with him, he'll feed into their anger just as much if not more than they react with. That's only one of his defense mechanisms for the emotional pain he hides, as he has a somewhat addictive personality, sometimes slumping into a drugged-out cycle of euphoria and depression for a few days or weeks before coming back out miraculously without the aid of rehab (this would only happen when not on board the ship). For those he considers friends, he'll try to restrain himself and even cheer them up with his music which, while also inflammatory, is comedic and intended to raise the spirits, particularly of the downtrodden. He does hate injustice and tyranny and will join any fight he feels is worth it, or at least throw what support he can behind it.

History:
Garth was born on Beaumonde, and raised almost exclusively by his mother while his father was away on contract work, mostly low-paying mining or other hard menial labor, sending what he could afford back to them. His mother was a lounge singer at one of the clubs making a decent wage to keep them afloat, and it got him interested in music and performance. He didn't have the voice for anything classy like what his mother would sing, but he learned to play the guitar like an expert by the time he reached his teens, and got more into country and rock than any other genre, at first writing songs for laughs, to get his friends interested in it and make the other schoolkids enjoy what he had to say if only for the shock value. His teachers didn't approve but he didn't care, he used that as fuel to keep on doing it, thumbing his nose at the authority figures who he perceived as trying to keep people like him down. The fact that his mother had to work so hard to keep her job and that they would be in dire financial straits if she lost it never sat well with him, and he learned early on that his mother had to put up with verbal and sexual abuse on the part of her employers and clients in order to keep her job.

When one particularly wealthy patron came down one night to see his mother's performance, and the man did not often hear the word 'no', it was the darkest day of Garth's life. He found out the next morning that his mother was dead in the room the wealthy man had rented, the wealthy man had fled in the night and thanks to a judicious round of bribery and corruption in the club and with local law enforcement, he'd gotten away with it scot-free. After months of fruitless efforts to bring justice to his family, Garth had nearly lost all faith in humanity, until he learned that his father was now being sentenced to death for murdering the wealthy man in retaliation. Garth had another chance to make justice shine through, and wrote the most emotional ballad he had ever conceived, performing it at school, in the club, even on the local radio station. It touched people's hearts and inspired an outcry that managed to overturn his father's sentence and commute it to life in prison.

With his talent and minor celebrity burgeoning, Garth set out for bigger and better things, continuing his crusade against corruption and excess, becoming an icon for those who were wronged by the system and a thorn in the side of those who would trample on others' rights to bolster their own. He never played in overly large venues, not wishing to become a sellout, playing in places that didn't overcharge or have excessive advertising stakes so that more of the lower class could afford to come see him, and ensuring he stayed out of the pockets of any large corporation or individual of obscene wealth. Always skirting the line between incitement to action and criticism of corruption and apathy, he took to renting a room on a ship, not feeling safe staying in any one stationary location for too long.

He didn't develop any lasting relationships, and given his pop star lifestyle, one-night stands were just expected. It helped dull the pain a little, as did the free-flowing narcotics, and given his status and income, he could forge connections all across the 'verse. He even took a stance on controlled substances, finding no good reason why they should be so controlled, and whenever possible, helped his numerous dealers arrange smuggling deals with his transportation whenever he was about to move from one gig to another. If he could share the windfall from that with the smugglers providing his transportation, so much the better.

Strengths:
-Talented musician, songwriter and comedian.

-Very high tolerance for alcohol and other substances. Would be difficult to tranquilize him.

-No stranger to bar brawls and handy with a shotgun.

-Comes across as soft to potential predators but can quickly dispel that notion when least expected.

Weaknesses:
-Trusting the ladies a little too easily.

-Never wanting to say 'no' to a drink or other 'altered state' substance, which can happen at inopportune times.

-Being a little too direct and abrasive, can compromise negotiations with his attitude if not kept in check.

Mannerisms: Putting on the charm around the ladies, singing to himself under his breath when wandering the hallways
Languages: English and just enough French to charm anyone who doesn't speak it

Theme Song: Bad Moon Rising

Codexa

Primarch

Hey a Firefly game! If the position is still open I believe I can get a First Mate in tomorrow.

RegretNot

Quote from: Primarch on October 21, 2018, 07:39:50 PM
Hey a Firefly game! If the position is still open I believe I can get a First Mate in tomorrow.

Go for it. 

Primarch

Afraid I need to bow out. Best of luck going forward.

firepyre

Hmm. I guess I'll pitch a first mate in primarch's place. Captain seems like the charming rogue type, so I'm thinking someone a bit more serious, who deals with the drudgery, like making sure people get paid, the ship stays repaired, balancing the accounts, and that kind of thing. Maybe an old buddy from the captain's time in the navy academy, a fellow troublemaker who dropped out to pursue a more illicit line of work, eventually linking back up with the captain after his fall from grace to run the business end of things.

He'd be more ruthless than the captain, with a mobster kind of feel about him, and the kind of connections that pay well, but are rarely above board. He and the captain probably rarely see eye to eye on everyday matters, but when it really counts, you can rely on him to have your back.

If you're happy with the concept, I'll get onto real sheet shortly.

Bibliophilia

Ontan

If there’s still room, I was thinking of making a character for the main medical role, seeing as that’s the last major spot to be taken.

I’m wary about people not wanting a carbon copy of the Firefly crew, so I was going to take a slightly different angle: rather than the neatly groomed surgeon-savant from the core worlds, this character would be a geneticist who was stationed at a remote research post for prolonged period. Skill-wise, his expertise would make him a passable (albeit unlicensed and unconventional) substitute for a doctor, plus he'd be well suited to looking after the ship's hydroponic setup. His secondary skills mainly focus on having to make-do in the wasteland: he’d be familiar with scavenging parts for his equipment, and hunting wildlife, for instance.

The main gist is that he’d have a medical / science focus, but with a spread of ‘support’ skills that let him assist the other specialists (without competing for their role). I know a bit of overlap is inevitable, but his backstory means he'd have as a plausible reason not to have any diplomatic skills, ties / connections, or other social strengths. Here’s the potential face claims, plus a bit of character art:

Either passenger crew or crew could work. Let me know what you think!

Edit to fix picture links

RegretNot

Quote from: firepyre on October 23, 2018, 05:42:51 AM
Hmm. I guess I'll pitch a first mate in primarch's place. Captain seems like the charming rogue type, so I'm thinking someone a bit more serious, who deals with the drudgery, like making sure people get paid, the ship stays repaired, balancing the accounts, and that kind of thing. Maybe an old buddy from the captain's time in the navy academy, a fellow troublemaker who dropped out to pursue a more illicit line of work, eventually linking back up with the captain after his fall from grace to run the business end of things.

He'd be more ruthless than the captain, with a mobster kind of feel about him, and the kind of connections that pay well, but are rarely above board. He and the captain probably rarely see eye to eye on everyday matters, but when it really counts, you can rely on him to have your back.

If you're happy with the concept, I'll get onto real sheet shortly.

Sounds awesome, let's see the sheet.

RegretNot

Quote from: Ontan on October 23, 2018, 08:58:05 AM
If there’s still room, I was thinking of making a character for the main medical role, seeing as that’s the last major spot to be taken.

I’m wary about people not wanting a carbon copy of the Firefly crew, so I was going to take a slightly different angle: rather than the neatly groomed surgeon-savant from the core worlds, this character would be a geneticist who was stationed at a remote research post for prolonged period. Skill-wise, his expertise would make him a passable (albeit unlicensed and unconventional) substitute for a doctor, plus he'd be well suited to looking after the ship's hydroponic setup. His secondary skills mainly focus on having to make-do in the wasteland: he’d be familiar with scavenging parts for his equipment, and hunting wildlife, for instance.

The main gist is that he’d have a medical / science focus, but with a spread of ‘support’ skills that let him assist the other specialists (without competing for their role). I know a bit of overlap is inevitable, but his backstory means he'd have as a plausible reason not to have any diplomatic skills, ties / connections, or other social strengths. Here’s the potential face claims, plus a bit of character art:

Either passenger crew or crew could work. Let me know what you think!

Edit to fix picture links

Could be a passenger or crew, even a passenger that becomes crew depends on the background you want.

RegretNot

firepyre

Still very much a WIP, but the bones are there. I need to do a bit of a firefly refresher before I start on background. 

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name: Jack
Home World: Beylix
Profession/ Trade: First Mate/Ship's Steward/Purser
Sexual Orientation: Heteronormal
Relationship Status: Married to his job
O/Os: Very much a Daddy, though anyone who dared say as much would find themselves backhanded right back to school.

Physical Description: Jack stands 6'2" and is well built, fit, but not excessively so. He has sharp, defined facial features, which typically lend him a more severe look that compliments his personality . As the business face of the crew, as well as the one who handles most of the everyday practicalities of keeping a ship in the air, his demeanour is usually somewhat stern and taciturn. He tends to dress accordingly, preferring more formal attire, contrasting his more colourful crew mates.

Distinguishing Features: Usually wears an alliance navy academy signet, though it seems to shuffle fingers depending on his mood. Tends to avoid taking his shirt off in front of people.
Face Claim: Mark Strong

Personality: Jack is gruff, and demanding at times, but he'll also go out of his way to be fair, and isn't afraid to get his own hands dirty - figuratively or literally. He values respect and loyalty highly, and although he'd prefer a more rigid chain of command, on a ship like this, he'll take what he can get. The captain may call the shots, but it's typically Jack who works out the details, makes sure the ledgers are balanced, and keeps the whole circus rolling. Not a popular job perhaps, but a necessary one.

History:

Strengths:
Unflappable - Jack always keeps his cool. He's always in control of himself, deliberate, no matter how dire the situation, or how much cheek is given. He's ever the calm voice of reason, never one to act out of spite, or anger.

Underhanded - Jack has few moral compunctions. While he's not about to go out of his way to alienate his crewmates, concepts like honour and reputation are only worth as much to him as the practical benefit they provide. To him, they're just another form of currency, same as anything else. If he believes taking the cheap shot is the most expedient route to success, it's a sure bet he'll take it.

Imposing - There is a time and a place for this, but Jack can, frankly, be pretty damn intense at times. It's useful when you want to be taken seriously, but there can be downsides too. Emasculating a twitchy client isn't tremendously helpful. Kids tend to avoid him too.   

Weaknesses:
Taciturn - As something of an introvert, Jack is less inclined to take the initiative, to initiate interpersonal relationships, and can even forget the need to further those connections.

Grey morality - Jack tends to think in terms of Cost:Benefit, rather than right or wrong. To him, practically everything can have a value placed on it, even abstracts. This can be good and bad. Spend your loyalty on him, and he'll repay you in kind.

Mannerisms: Though typically hard to read, he has a habit of shifting his ring from finger to finger when he's worrying a problem. If he anticipates trouble, he'll often subconsciously shift it to his ring finger, out of the way. Every once in a blue moon, you'll find him smoking a cigarette, not because he likes them, but because they are a reminder of someone. He rarely drinks, and never more than a glass or two, and as a result, he has never gotten used to the taste of strong alcohol, often grimacing after a sip, if he doesn't think he's being watched.

Languages: English, Mandarin, a broad smattering of various mutt tongues

Theme Song:
Additional Notes:

RegretNot

I have the Character Sheet Depot thread up here. 

All the sheets posted that aren't WIP are approved to post there.  We should be looking at the first IC thread and post by this weekend. 

Marie Reynolds

My Apologies time  just got away from me, So i guess ill have to bow out as this  game is about to go live.

RegretNot

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 27, 2018, 09:03:23 AM
My Apologies time  just got away from me, So i guess ill have to bow out as this  game is about to go live.

You still have time, it's not going to jump right into the action. 

firepyre

I'm going to withdraw my interest. Not quite as enthusiastic as my initial spaz. GL

vin26m

I'm interested.

Name: Barnaby "Barney" Rubble
Home World: Greenleaf and one of its moons, Dyton
Profession/ Trade: Passenger (Reader, Gambler, Rogue, Face, Brawler, Backup-anything-except-gunhand)
Sexual Orientation: Straight
O/Os: Here

Physical Description: Barney is of average height with a fit build, primarily from practicing mixed martial arts, weightlifting, climbing, swimming and running.  He has accepted his baldness and regularly shaves his head for both ease of grooming and fitting his head into wigs.  He usually has a five o'clock shadow, even moments after shaving.  Barney is partial to wearing suits, but has a wardrobe to choose from, including outfits more appropriate to combat and labor.

Distinguishing Features: Barney has as knack for blending in and prefers it that way.  With his deep, gravely voice, he usually speaks with a Cockney accent, but can easily switch to manners of speaking more characteristic of someone from the Core or Border/Rim.

Face Claim: Jason Bloody Statham

Personality: Warm-hearted, friendly, logical, creative, conscientious, analytical, determined.

History: Barney was born on a Border planet in the Red Sun system.  Unlike most terraformed planets with wide plains or harsh deserts, his birthplace of Greenleaf was a world with a large tropical belt that had massive jungles and rainforests.  His parents were cultivators for pharmaceutical companies that used the plants to make medicines for the new illnesses caused by the terraforming process.  His young lungs were filled with the heavy, thick air of the lush vegetation surrounding him. 

Before his teen years, his parents moved back and forth between Greenleaf and one of Greenleaf's moons, Dyton, where most of his extended family lived.  He picked up the Cockney accent of the native Dyton inhabitants, whose ancestors were settlers from working-class Britain. 

As a teen, Barney started reading people - flashes of pictures, turns of phrase, smells triggering vivid memories that were not his own - an ability that was a side effect of being born and spending a lot of time on Greenleaf. 

In college while studying theater and Chinese, he got a job as a croupier, mostly dealing card games at casinos on Dyton.  He eventually used his reader abilities to start gambling and amassed himself a small fortune, but left Dyton about a year ago when people started getting suspicious in order to avoid consequences for his family.  He still occasionally visited Greenleaf and Dyton, and he got a ride out of the area on the Phoenix Wave from Dyton, when he met Garrett and his crew.

Strengths: Barney uses his abilities as a reader to make his living primarily as a gambler, particularly as a poker player.  He also uses his reading ability for charming, persuading, intimidating and negotiating with people. 
When combined with his ability to disguise himself and fake accents, he can also make others think he is someone else, including a Shepherd, a Registered Companion and a Federal Agent. 

He is a proficient martial artist in both striking and grappling, and he is a good runner, climber and swimmer. 

He is skilled at sleight of hand tasks such as picking pockets, opening locks, shooting pool, and performing tricks with cards and coins, including cheating at cards.

Growing up, he learned how to identify plants and how to cultivate them in hydroponics labs.

He likes to ride horses, drive horse drawn carts and wagons, fly shuttles and drive both wheeled and hover vehicles, and he is technically inclined enough to lend a hand to an expert mechanic, doctor, engineer or technician, although he could not possibly do anything more than maintenance or sabotage on his own.

Weaknesses: Barney is not particularly skilled with firearms or knives, most effectively using them as props as opposed to weapons. 

He hates people who mistreat women, children or animals, and despises anyone who abuses their power and authority, whether they are federal, corporate or criminal. 

He values independence and abhors slavery.  He has a hard time backing down from being challenged.

In terms of alcohol tolerance, Barney is a lightweight.  He'll stop at three drinks and rarely get even that far.

Mannerisms: Barney cracks his knuckles and neck.

Languages: English, Mandarin, basic Russian, basic French.

Theme Song:
Additional Notes: I am particularly interested in scenes that include brawls and scams.  On the ship, consider him to be a hand.  If the crew has to go make a deal, Barney is there (as opposed to being back on the ship).

Barney has numerous assets, some purchased, some stolen, some won through gambling, some scavenged:

A decent amount of savings.  Not enough to retire on, but enough to pay initial costs for jobs.

A Moses Brothers Self-Defense Engine Frontier Model B revolver, the standard issue officer's sidearm during the Unification War.

A Walther PPK pistol.

A survival knife.

A Holy Bible, a pristine crucifix, an outfit and a fake ident card to pose as a Shepherd.

A badge, a uniform and a fake ident card to pose as a federal agent.

Companion's finery and a fake ident card to pose as a Registered Companion.

A legitimate ident card and an Alliance salvage permit.

Plants, including cannabis and others with some with pharmaceutical properties, which are kept in the hydroponics lab.

RegretNot

Barney looks good feel free to post him in the Character Thread.

vin26m

Quote from: RegretNot on November 05, 2018, 08:40:45 PM
Barney looks good feel free to post him in the Character Thread.

Thanks!

I'll post IC in the next 18 hours.

Please don't continue the thread yet, as I have something in mind for each character who has posted so far.

Mathim

I hope we still have enough players to make a go of it with all the dropping out.

Aenon

Mathim

Quote from: Aenon on November 06, 2018, 02:11:58 PM
Wait, aren't you guys full yet? :O

I don't think we ever were full at any point, at least not in terms of passenger capacity, I'm not entirely sure about dedicated crew positions.

Caela

Quote from: Mathim on November 06, 2018, 02:10:04 PM
I hope we still have enough players to make a go of it with all the dropping out.

Most that dropped did so before they even started. We're doing pretty good imo.