What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

I still wouldn't trust it...why the hell would you want to take not 1 but TWO guns to disney? was he thinking of robbing Mickey mouse?

Also it makes sense thay he only had small caliber pistols on him, they are much easier to sneak on your person and carry more ammo for.

gaggedLouise

Yeah sista, I certainly don't think it sounds like he was very sane.  ;) And Disneyland is the kind of place where guns should be out of the question (except for security guards).

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Zakharra

Quote from: Lustful Bride on January 28, 2016, 04:16:26 PM
That doesn't sound too far removed from US laws (Depending on the State)

You don't need a hunting or sport shooting license to own a firearm.The license to be able to go hunting is a completely different thing and just pertains to that particular hunt (it gives the carrier permission to hunt a specific type of creature for a certain amount of time).

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Zakharra on January 29, 2016, 10:33:32 AM
You don't need a hunting or sport shooting license to own a firearm.The license to be able to go hunting is a completely different thing and just pertains to that particular hunt (it gives the carrier permission to hunt a specific type of creature for a certain amount of time).

I did mean a license to hold one or more hunting firearms, and I think Lustful read it that way too. The point is, unlike some places in the US you can't just buy rifles or heavy-duty guns on the fly without showing who you are and that you have a liecense to use (in this case) a hunting-style weapon. They're not impossibly difficult to get, those licenses, but the licensing thing keeps some check on the general flow of guns and who has one (you need a relevant license if you buy a gun second-hand too, at least if you want to stay legal).

Saidi

Quote from: Skynet on January 30, 2016, 01:47:10 PM
In a crossover between geek culture and US politics, the CEO of Marvel donated 1 million dollars to Donald Trump.

This is very ironic considering how the company's comics have erred on progressive messages and attempts at more diverse representation in recent and not-so-recent times.

So disappointing.
Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. --Victor Borge

Help me revive my muse?

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Yukina

Beorning

On the other hand:

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/29/10872122/marvel-ceo-donald-trump

I think it's a reasonable voice. It's not like *Marvel* is voicing support for Trump... It's just Perlmutter.

Kythia

Yeah that was my opinion as well. It really does have nothing whatsoever to do with marvel. I work for the church of England and have donated money to E. That doesn't mean the church of England supports E it just means I can do whatever I want with my wages. 

Beorning

Quote from: Kythia on January 31, 2016, 03:59:55 AM
I work for the church of England and have donated money to E. That doesn't mean the church of England supports E...

Now, that would've been awesome :)

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Kythia on January 31, 2016, 03:59:55 AM
Yeah that was my opinion as well. It really does have nothing whatsoever to do with marvel. I work for the church of England and have donated money to E. That doesn't mean the church of England supports E it just means I can do whatever I want with my wages.

*points*

Mithlomwen

So apparently the Donald has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize

No, that isn't a misprint.  He is actually in the running for the 2016 prize. 

Nobel watcher Kristian Berg Harpviken says in part:

QuoteMr. Trump, who has attracted international backlash over his controversial rhetoric and call to ban Muslims from entering the U.S., has reportedly earned a nod for the award thanks to his tough talk on terrorism and other security threats from around the world, according to Nobel watcher Kristian Berg Harpviken, the director of the Peace Research Institute of Oslo.

In the nomination letter Mr. Harpviken said he had received, supporters said Mr. Trump deserved the prize for “his vigorous peace through strength ideology, used as a threat weapon of deterrence against radical Islam, ISIS, nuclear Iran and Communist China,” Agence France-Presse reported.

......I have no words. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Lustful Bride

I stopped believing in the validity of the Peace prize loonnngggg ago. Welcome to the club :P

Beorning

Oh, come on. It's not like he's a serious candidate or something. I'm sure that there are unusual candidates proposed every year...

Kythia

As I recall, anyone can he nominated, it's essentially meaningless. Though I agree the peace prize itself has almost been devalued to nothingness anyway.

gaggedLouise

Yep, years ago a politician from here nominated John Bolton. I think that one went straight down into the waste paper basket with the Nobel committee - though nomnating Trump is even more outrageous.

Lustful Bride

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/how-the-satanic-temple-forced-phoenix-lawmakers-to-ban-public-prayer/ar-BBpbb1S?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=iehp

*EDIT* Bottom stuff put in a spoiler because that was just a paragraph or two of me being an idiot and reading the wrong thing and a perfect example of why its important to do your research before posting.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

I don't even know what to say about this other than something my boyfriend likes to say "There's a difference between being an Atheist and being an asshole with a patriot missile sizes stick up their ass."

So pretty much now no one gets to have public prayer! What you want something guaranteed to you by the constitution? Well Fuck you, you don't get anything!  ;D

ugh, I would have accepted a compromise like "All of the faith in the area may have a representative and they may all pray at the same time." (that includes the Satanists) But not this...this is just...ugh disgusts me. How long till it goes to a case of "First it was them, then they came for me?"

edit: I know that they don't literally believe in Satan and are really just Atheists pretending to do so, but at the same time they must realize that they are pretty much doing things offensive to several groups of people. And that they are just perpetuating the stereotype of atheists being a bunch of hateful people who despise anything to do with a god and the people who want to believe in an afterlife. But they have nothing to lose either way so they don't care...ugh.

I shouldn't be as mad as I am since it doesn't help anyone and just makes myself look bad...but it still hurts and I feel like this sets a bad precedent.

TheGlyphstone

Did you link the right article? There's nothing in there about actually having public prayer banned, just one (presumably Christian) lawmaker equating what happened to 'banning prayer'. What was banned is the current practice of having City Council meetings start with a public prayer. Since that could be interpreted as a First Amendment violation, being a de facto endorsement of a specific religion by a government body, I can't disagree with the Satanic Temple's actions. Especially because, if the article is correct, the Satanists were requesting that they be allowed to give an invocation alongside the prayer, which is exactly what you are suggesting. It was the lawmakers themselves who voted "better no prayer than both Satanic and Christian prayers'. People still are free to pray in public wherever and whenever they want, outside of council meetings, but in this particular instance the blame should be going to the Council, not the Satanists.

Lustful Bride

Well I though that's what it said...either I read a different article or what I linked was different...unsure....

I thought it was banning prayer in the council and the immediate grounds.

Il admit I messed up and should have done better in researching this before making a complete ass out of myself...il go and sit in the corner with the dunce cap now.

gaggedLouise

Mouse breaks into a museum and gets caught in...an ancient mousetrap

The mid-19th century Victorian mousetrap wasn't even baited, and the rodent would have had to deliberately find it and get inside before it was secured. The fitting end would be to stuff the mouse up and make it part of the exhibition...  ;D

ererruz

The highly controversial Polish surveillance law has become the law as of today.

(Here Amnesty International's public statement concerning the law in question, if anyone's interested in more details.)

Beorning

Quote from: ererruz on February 07, 2016, 06:14:33 AM
The highly controversial Polish surveillance law has become the law as of today.

(Here Amnesty International's public statement concerning the law in question, if anyone's interested in more details.)

Grotesquely enough, PiS members claim that this laws *strengthens* the civil rights of Polish citizens. Go figure.  ::)

Even more grotesquely, President Duda signed the law first... then, he started inviting people opposing it for consultations. Shouldn't it be the other way around..?

In other Poland-related news, the PiS government reopened the investigation of the 2010 Smoleńsk plane crash:

http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/239539,Mixed-reactions-to-Polands-new-Smolensk-disaster-probe

It seems that they really might be pushing to make the "It was an assasination!" conspiracy theory official  >:(