Started by Ouroboros, November 08, 2015, 12:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfling72

Quote from: Ouroboros on November 08, 2015, 10:11:43 AM
Please do! :D

Ahhh da pressure...

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 08, 2015, 10:13:58 AM
Oh darling! I am definitely here. Ouro had me at post-apoc. XD

I know you have some wonderful ideas in that muse of yours. A handsome blonde of sorts. >:) On top of that you'll get all the cuddles, and cuddles are fucking great.

Just a reference for everyone, this is who I am going to be using. Right hurr!

Craving playing another Southern boy from a Christian family who kicks ass, takes names, and owns the fact that he's gay and his daddy taught him how to shoot despite him being the son his dad never wanted.

*makes da grabby hands at* Oh you are doing this on purpose!

Yus da handsome blonde...I even have a chocolate god (of sorts) up in this brain. I blame you for all of that.

*all da cuddles, all da cuddles*

Quote from: Sherlock on November 08, 2015, 11:11:21 AM
I'm thinking of this fella as a character image, potentially.

As far as a nuclear apolcaypse brainstorm, since I've played some Fallout (which is my inspiration for said snippet of idea), the only idea I can think of is that war, threat of nuclear fallout, people put in vaults for their safety, government decides to screw with people to socially experiment with vault populations, get an entirely LGBTQA vault, government experiment thinks its an easy way to herd off/get rid of LGBTQA folks, plan hilariously backfires when the LGBTQA vault is one of the only ones that makes it through unscathed and not only that, thrives, because they were just so damn used to adversity in the first place that adjustment wasn't as hard for them.

Not the best idea, but trying to contribute/brainstorm as best I can. ^^

Edit: Wolfling! <3

Also I like the "Heretics" as a name depending on what tone the game is going for. ^^

*loses all train of thought at the smexy face Sherlock is thinking on* *hugs da 'lock*

And I likes that idea...*nods muchly* Your brain is an amazement...
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Vael the Destroyer

I'm thinking of this fella as a character image, potentially.

Hnng. You're officially evil. I don't know you, but you're evil and I enjoy you.

Quote from: Wolfling72 on November 08, 2015, 11:18:51 AM
*makes da grabby hands at* Oh you are doing this on purpose!

Yus da handsome blonde...I even have a chocolate god (of sorts) up in this brain. I blame you for all of that.

*all da cuddles, all da cuddles*

Hnng. Chocolate gods. -drools puddles-

Quote from: Faustus on November 08, 2015, 10:51:21 AM
*whispers* Don't do this to me, you guys.

*wibble*

We're doing this to you, and you should do it, because you'd be such a wonderful addition and we all love you, because you're amazeballs.

Ouroboros

As far as a nuclear apolcaypse brainstorm, since I've played some Fallout (which is my inspiration for said snippet of idea), the only idea I can think of is that war, threat of nuclear fallout, people put in vaults for their safety, government decides to screw with people to socially experiment with vault populations, get an entirely LGBTQA vault, government experiment thinks its an easy way to herd off/get rid of LGBTQA folks, plan hilariously backfires when the LGBTQA vault is one of the only ones that makes it through unscathed and not only that, thrives, because they were just so damn used to adversity in the first place that adjustment wasn't as hard for them.

You know, that would address my as-yet unspoken concerns about people who might be hesitant to play a trans character if they didn't have access to hormones and so on. Maybe not an entirely LGBTQA vault, but I could see the government profiling people and shunting the "undesirables" into Vaults they didn't expect to last in the name of operational harmony or something. Red vaults and blue vaults, yeah? Assuming of course that this is even in the US. I kind of was because guns, but it doesn't have to be.
Semi-Relevant Information
wants and needs | apologies and absences  | ons and offs

Blythe

I'm totally open to a non-USA setting.  ;D

And I see what you mean about not-entirely LGBTQA vaults--that makes sense. I'd love to see trans* characters and wouldn't want people to feel hesitant about playing such a character. ^^

BAMF

»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Vael the Destroyer

Switzerland has super lenient gun laws, so pretty much everyone over there has a gun.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

This is just my opinion, but both nuclear and zombie apocalypses are somewhat...Common.

I fastened on two words in the original post: Roadside Picnic.

For those unfamiliar with it, this is the Russian novel on which the Stalker movie was based. The idea is that the aliens came and left...And didn't bother making first contact. Instead, they contaminated vast areas of the earth which now are called 'Zones.' In the Zones, the laws of physics may not always apply. Alien technology is so strange that an awful lot of it makes no sense whatsoever...Imagine a stone-age man trying to fix a car with a bad sparkplug. Even if you explained what part was wrong, and tried to explain how it worked, the best he could probably do is try to whittle something out of wood which fit into that space. The worst might be misunderstanding how 'spark' was applied and setting the car on fire, possibly with catastrophic results. The Zones had strange effects on the children of those near them... And sometimes on the dead, as well, if you must have zombies.

So how would others feel about a situation in which there was a total breakdown of society, a massive population reduction not due to fear of plague, but due to fear of what one's own children might become, strange and monstrous beings, bizarre technologies, most of which were not understood at all (in the books, humans were able to work out that certain things could be used as batteries, and others were effectively sonic grenades, but that's probably not what the original owners used them for).

The title of the book comes from one scientist's hypothesis about why the aliens didn't make contact, and why they left all this stuff behind them contaminating the world: if you stopped by the side of the road for a picnic, left your trash lying around, and moved on, you wouldn't bother to inform the ants, would you?

Note that this could be mixed in with the nuclear, plague, and zombie apocalypses. All it takes is a few major nations trying to cleanse the zones with hydrogen bombs, a few alien diseases added to the ecosystem (there were hints of these in the books) and the walking dead are already a part of the setting.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I'll also note that one interesting and different post-apocalyptic group misfit-and-outcast idea would be a small travelling "gypsy" (using the word to describe a paradigm, not meant as a slur) carnival/freak show (see previous). These things were all the rage during most of recorded civilization, and it's only in recent years that they started being large enough to require trains to carry them around or large enough to have permanent bases of operation. During most of history, they rolled into town, tried to swindle and scam goods and funds out of the locals, then rolled out again before they ended up in jail.

Well, before MOST of them ended up in jail.

Just an idea. I'm not married to either of these ideas (my husband is too snuggly), but I thought they'd be interesting to chuck out there.

And, as an aside, the classic distinction between a heathen and a heretic: they're both externally-imposed ideas -- the heathen may be forgiven his ignorance of the righteous ways, but the heretic knows the truth and tries to deny/fight against it. In the classic Inquisitional sense, it's the difference between an idolator (too many of them, why waste our time) and a Satanist (you know who the Enemy is, and still you choose to follow him!).

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Vael the Destroyer

Hmm. It is a very interesting idea. I am intrigued as to how that would play out, especially if strange and monstrous beings were included. The animals in the 'zones' becoming mutated beasts with human-level intelligence and strength to boot. Could be very frightening.

BAMF

...I'm thinking about Animorphs now. Because the alien they ran around with who was "like a combination between a deer and a scorpion and a human." Or the other one that was like "a giant centipede," or the other one that was like, "has blades for arms."

*still whining at the thread*
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Wolfling72

*uses one finger and beckons the BAMF*

Shattered forced me to laze around here...and then the Sherlock made it worse...come in...

It's niiiiice.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

BAMF

THE ONLY REASON I'M HERE IS SHERLOCK HAD TO MENTION IT ON MUMBLE LAST NIGHT.

*SIIIIGH* this is all his fault.

Color me tentatively interested, dammit.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: BAMF on November 08, 2015, 02:02:27 PM
...I'm thinking about Animorphs now. Because the alien they ran around with who was "like a combination between a deer and a scorpion and a human." Or the other one that was like "a giant centipede," or the other one that was like, "has blades for arms."

Well, pretty much any of the various apocalyptica allow for weird mutations (assuming suspension of disbelief in regards to real mutations (usually pre-natal and frequently fatal) and Hollywood/Atomic Fiction mutations (instantaneous on exposure to substances (oh look, it's a superhero trope!) and frequently freaky but non-fatal), whether it's due to bizarre biohazards, radiation, or what-have-you. Even some of the zombie ones would allow for it, although in such a setting it'd be tricky to keep your comrades from killing you off as 'potentially infected,' I imagine.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Vael the Destroyer

I can see where things could definitely get messy if zombies were a thing. Though pairing alien stuff with nuclear stuff would be interesting. What if the governments ordered bombs be dropped on the 'zones' to keep people from reproducing and making scary children?

So many possibilities.

Quote from: Wolfling72 on November 08, 2015, 02:04:18 PM
*uses one finger and beckons the BAMF*

Shattered forced me to laze around here...and then the Sherlock made it worse...come in...

It's niiiiice.

*le gasp* I did not force you... okay, maybe I did force you with cuddles because I'm a cuddle whore

VioletPanda

Quote from: BAMF on November 08, 2015, 02:02:27 PM

OMG I love Animorphs so much! There should totally be an Animorphs rp somewhere!
Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Ouroboros

I am about to head out for a few hours, but I just wanted to drop in and say that I am digging the Roadside Picnic direction. (I mean I did mention it in the initial post, but...) I'll be back later for enticement and GMing purposes.

VioletPanda

I like the Picnic idea, but I really don't like the zombie idea. It's been so overdone. Like, so overdone I don't even know how to put it into words.  :-(
Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Vael the Destroyer

BAMF

Yeah. I like the mutants angle, not the zombie-mutants angle. Because oh my god I'm so tired of zombies. >.<
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Vael the Destroyer

Ouroboros

OK, so check me on this. Based on what I've been hearing so far, things are starting to take shape in my head to a certain degree. I just wanted to make sure what I'm thinking lines up with what you're interested in. All thoughts are vague and open to change.

What happened: Alien visitation + panic nukes. Details to be hammered out or not, personally I'd be more interested in leaving things vague, weird, and unknowable so the changes and threats can be brought in as thematically and dramatically appropriate. Back in The Past, aliens dropped by and made things interesting, and after they left various world governments started bombing things with... odd results.

Now: There is home base. It's a thriving queer enclave, potentially related to a bomb shelter or maybe it's just someplace people don't want to go due to proximity to an alien site - too close for comfort, but not entirely dangerous. Given the environment elsewhere, it may or may not be safe to be queer and out. Occasionally groups go out scouting and bring back supplies and new members; this allows for different leaders, as well as home base politics and a way to bring new people in as they are interested and able to join.

On the right track?

Also, hello to everyone who has stopped in and expressed interest since I last posted! I'm really happy to see so much interest, even if you are ultimately unable to join. I'm 110% OK with lurkers. :D

Vael the Destroyer

The environment = crazy, evil religious zealots who believe that the aliens were messengers from god to cripple mankind due to it's descent into heathenry?

Lockepick

Been quiet, but still interested! Just no real sway either way.

As a side note, when I saw this again in the 'Unread Posts' section, I thought it was 'The Heathers'. Which... I mean, I guess in same ways it is...
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: lockepick on November 08, 2015, 08:25:15 PM
Been quiet, but still interested! Just no real sway either way.

As a side note, when I saw this again in the 'Unread Posts' section, I thought it was 'The Heathers'. Which... I mean, I guess in same ways it is...

Now I'm wondering if I'm the only person who found that movie insanely weird yet enjoyed it.

Wolfling72

Quote from: Ouroboros on November 08, 2015, 07:00:45 PM
*snippage*
What happened: Alien visitation + panic nukes. Details to be hammered out or not, personally I'd be more interested in leaving things vague, weird, and unknowable so the changes and threats can be brought in as thematically and dramatically appropriate. Back in The Past, aliens dropped by and made things interesting, and after they left various world governments started bombing things with... odd results.

Now: There is home base. It's a thriving queer enclave, potentially related to a bomb shelter or maybe it's just someplace people don't want to go due to proximity to an alien site - too close for comfort, but not entirely dangerous. Given the environment elsewhere, it may or may not be safe to be queer and out. Occasionally groups go out scouting and bring back supplies and new members; this allows for different leaders, as well as home base politics and a way to bring new people in as they are interested and able to join.

OK I REALLY like this idea, this version of the landscape. *nods* This makes me want to play here MORE, not Less.

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 08, 2015, 07:03:22 PM
The environment = crazy, evil religious zealots who believe that the aliens were messengers from god to cripple mankind due to it's descent into heathenry?

Yes?!
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's