The Heathens - a post-apocalyptic LGBTQ freeform badassery interest check

Started by Ouroboros, November 08, 2015, 12:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnivalOfTheGoat

I'd also thrown out the question of whether mutants were set apart from the population in which the player characters start out, or if they were a part of it.

This is the sort of thing that can play in a variety of ways. "Outsider" mutants present instant bogeymen, with the suggestion of "corruption," mutants who are a part of the population but discriminated against as 'lower status' presents a social challenge in terms of inequality and relative status between characters and NPCs, while mutants as a part of the population where there is no discrimination or preference towards 'pure huamns' creates a rather diverse and accepting feeling to the setting.

Thoughts?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Wolfling72

prods thread...

Sent
Marcus
along....

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on November 13, 2015, 03:09:24 PM
I'd also thrown out the question of whether mutants were set apart from the population in which the player characters start out, or if they were a part of it.

This is the sort of thing that can play in a variety of ways. "Outsider" mutants present instant bogeymen, with the suggestion of "corruption," mutants who are a part of the population but discriminated against as 'lower status' presents a social challenge in terms of inequality and relative status between characters and NPCs, while mutants as a part of the population where there is no discrimination or preference towards 'pure huamns' creates a rather diverse and accepting feeling to the setting.

Thoughts?

I would prefer either a mixture with no inherent discrimination OR the Outsider concept. But obviously the GM would have final say. Reasons are two fold~

As noted: the Outsider concept gives an automatic almost human "villain" thus adding drama whenever the "safe" haven is left behind. It also allows a chance to color the environment through the eyes of the Outsider as well as through the enclave's vision, expanding the world view considerably.

Conversely~

If the mutant phenotype is considered par for the course, it gives those of us with odd character concepts something else to work into our build. Since the mutations do not have to be visible, it adds a level of depth to the creation process, depending upon what mutations would be viable for the world as is.

Just my opinion, YMMV.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Vael the Destroyer

Cold Heritage

If mutants are allowed, could I play someone who is along the lines of an Apocalypse World Brainer?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Wolfling72

O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Cold Heritage on November 14, 2015, 07:31:30 PM
If mutants are allowed, could I play someone who is along the lines of an Apocalypse World Brainer?

Fine by me, but I'm not running the show. Are they going to be Apocalypse World level creepy?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Lockepick

Perhaps I'm reading into things -- but can we explain what we mean by mutations? With the theme posted, I pictured mutants to be more 'The Hills Have Eyes' (or perhaps 'Chernobyl Diaries' is more astute) when it was originally suggested. Now I'm getting a vibe that people are thinking more X-Men mutants.

I will say that I'm not saying either side is wrong or unappealing -- just two drastically different themes. This can also just be answered in that initial write up (which again, no rush on).
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: lockepick on November 14, 2015, 10:24:03 PM
Perhaps I'm reading into things -- but can we explain what we mean by mutations? With the theme posted, I pictured mutants to be more 'The Hills Have Eyes' (or perhaps 'Chernobyl Diaries' is more astute) when it was originally suggested. Now I'm getting a vibe that people are thinking more X-Men mutants.

I will say that I'm not saying either side is wrong or unappealing -- just two drastically different themes. This can also just be answered in that initial write up (which again, no rush on).

I was thinking what you're thinking. Physical manifestations. I'm familiar enough with AW though, that I'm not inclined to stand in front of someone wanting to do something like a psycher who has the drawbacks a Brainer does.

On the other hand, AW is almost inherently PvP. The party usually ends up taking itself apart spectacularly.

My voice is only one. I think this is something more people should chime in on?

Mutants (Y/N)?
Psychic mutants (Y/N)?

I can take or leave psychics. I'm sort of juggling a few ideas, one of which includes a mutant who is effectively a post-apocalyptic satyr/minotaur, myself. I have alternative character ideas I'm twiddling with if mutants aren't the direction people want to take.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Vael the Destroyer

CarnivalOfTheGoat

If others will weigh in with their thoughts on the outstanding questions, those people who have character ideas which might be affected one way or another will be able to move forward more easily.

Just saying. ;D

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

BAMF

I'm still on the fence on joining, but I've never really been a huge fan of psychics myself.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Vael the Destroyer

I have no preference as to whether or not mutants are allowed. Either mutants with physical manifestations or psychic mutants are totally okay in my book, just as long as there is some form of balance. Not everyone in the settlement can be a mutant.

Wolfling72

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on November 15, 2015, 12:16:04 AM
I was thinking what you're thinking. Physical manifestations. I'm familiar enough with AW though, that I'm not inclined to stand in front of someone wanting to do something like a psycher who has the drawbacks a Brainer does.

On the other hand, AW is almost inherently PvP. The party usually ends up taking itself apart spectacularly.

My voice is only one. I think this is something more people should chime in on?

Mutants (Y/N)?
Psychic mutants (Y/N)?

I can take or leave psychics. I'm sort of juggling a few ideas, one of which includes a mutant who is effectively a post-apocalyptic satyr/minotaur, myself. I have alternative character ideas I'm twiddling with if mutants aren't the direction people want to take.

Personally, in a Post Apocalyptic world, I would be more comfortable with the idea of physical mutations...(Especially since those with Psy abilities aren't inherently good or bad AND they would be hard as heck to write/RP effectively in a way that makes sense for the build as is.)

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 15, 2015, 12:26:39 AM
Good. The best kind of good. >:)

;D  I am saving Alex, you know that, but that model  was so yummy that I figured you'd like to look at dark chocolate sweets.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: Wolfling72 on November 15, 2015, 06:29:19 AM
;D  I am saving Alex, you know that, but that model  was so yummy that I figured you'd like to look at dark chocolate sweets.

Dark chocolate sweets are my favorite sweets, Wolf-darling. ;) I could have swore I told you that. <3

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 15, 2015, 12:58:31 AM
I have no preference as to whether or not mutants are allowed. Either mutants with physical manifestations or psychic mutants are totally okay in my book, just as long as there is some form of balance. Not everyone in the settlement can be a mutant.

Balance is definitely something to consider. Nobody should be left on the sidelines. I think it might be a good idea to stick to 'mutants, but effectively human in terms of what they can accomplish.'

Which, would seem to mandate against psychics unless you believe in Uri Geller.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Wolfling72

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 15, 2015, 10:02:10 AM
Dark chocolate sweets are my favorite sweets, Wolf-darling. ;) I could have swore I told you that. <3

Course you did, snuggle bug and I remembered!

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on November 15, 2015, 10:22:23 AM
Balance is definitely something to consider. Nobody should be left on the sidelines. I think it might be a good idea to stick to 'mutants, but effectively human in terms of what they can accomplish.'

Which, would seem to mandate against psychics unless you believe in Uri Geller.

Nods.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: Wolfling72 on November 15, 2015, 10:25:51 AM
Course you did, snuggle bug and I remembered!

D'aww! -squishes-

So, humanoid mutants. Maybe they could just have enhanced physical attributes? I really hope I'm not repeating someone with this, but like enhanced endurance, agility, strength, speed, that sort of thing.

Addition: If this idea is approved by Ouro, I might just have to change it to where Chimera is a mutant and has a heightened sense of sight, making him a lot like Bullseye from Marvel Comics. I like playing boys who never miss. ;)

Wolfling72

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 15, 2015, 10:29:05 AM
D'aww! -squishes-

So, humanoid mutants. Maybe they could just have enhanced physical attributes? I really hope I'm not repeating someone with this, but like enhanced endurance, agility, strength, speed, that sort of thing.

Addition: If this idea is approved by Ouro, I might just have to change it to where Chimera is a mutant and has a heightened sense of sight, making him a lot like Bullseye from Marvel Comics. I like playing boys who never miss. ;)

*dies giggling*
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Ouroboros

Hey all!

Haven't had time to sit down and write anything yet but...

- I hadn't really been considering psychic abilities once we went the alien visit/nuclear warhead apocalypse route. Physical, sure - maybe with a drawback of some sort that's semi-obvious (weird feature(s), dietary needs?).
- Most of the mutants were going to be in the twisted, weird, and antagonistic NPC category. Doesn't mean characters can't be, but the majority were going to be more than a little strange.
- If people must have supernatural powers that aren't physical in nature, there's weird alien tech that can be dealt with. It won't work perfectly and it can backfire spectacularly but it can also do some crazy stuff. (Nothing defined as yet - was going to address that case-by-case.)
Semi-Relevant Information
wants and needs | apologies and absences  | ons and offs

Wolfling72

Quote from: Ouroboros on November 15, 2015, 11:51:25 AM
Hey all!

Haven't had time to sit down and write anything yet but...

- I hadn't really been considering psychic abilities once we went the alien visit/nuclear warhead apocalypse route. Physical, sure - maybe with a drawback of some sort that's semi-obvious (weird feature(s), dietary needs?).
- Most of the mutants were going to be in the twisted, weird, and antagonistic NPC category. Doesn't mean characters can't be, but the majority were going to be more than a little strange.
- If people must have supernatural powers that aren't physical in nature, there's weird alien tech that can be dealt with. It won't work perfectly and it can backfire spectacularly but it can also do some crazy stuff. (Nothing defined as yet - was going to address that case-by-case.)

I am cool without all the supernatural stuff. Alien tech could more than make up for that stuff anyway.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Faustus

Hey guys - Just letting you know that I won't be able to join you on this rag-tag adventure. :c Once aliens dropped in the mix as even a passing mention. . . I had to step back. Absolutely unnatural, ridiculous fear of them, you see. While they may never actually be shown or interacted with in the game, I still. . . *shudder*

ANYWAY. Kick ass with this, my friends!

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: Faustus on November 15, 2015, 04:05:29 PM
Hey guys - Just letting you know that I won't be able to join you on this rag-tag adventure. :c Once aliens dropped in the mix as even a passing mention. . . I had to step back. Absolutely unnatural, ridiculous fear of them, you see. While they may never actually be shown or interacted with in the game, I still. . . *shudder*

You're adorable. And it's totally understandable. -pets hair-

Faustus

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 15, 2015, 04:06:07 PM
You're adorable. And it's totally understandable. -pets hair-

They're scary! Except the one's from the Alien film series. Those are cute and cuddly, which probably says everything about my phobic states.

Let me know if I can be of any help to the game, though!

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Ouroboros

But the aliens are not even present! :(

I totally understand though. I have my phobias as well. Pass the word if you think anyone you know would be interested though!
Semi-Relevant Information
wants and needs | apologies and absences  | ons and offs

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Faustus on November 15, 2015, 04:05:29 PM

Sorry to hear! Enjoy what you enjoy!

As to your ideas, Ouroboros, I have to say that I'm much more comfortable with inexplicable and unpredictable alien tech being on the table than psionic characters. I was figuring that mutants would probably vary in their capabilities within the normal human range. You can find exceptionally strong humans and exceptionally weak ones, but none of them can tear steel with their bare hands.

I think it will be far easier to relate to characters who are more-or-less "human-scale."

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek: