The Heathens - a post-apocalyptic LGBTQ freeform badassery interest check

Started by Ouroboros, November 08, 2015, 12:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ouroboros

The end of the world came and went. You're what crawled out of the ashes.

Inspired by properties such as Fallout, Roadside Picnic, Apocalypse World (and more specifically Dream Askew), Scruffians! and Mad Max, this is a story about the apocalypse. It's a love story. It's a travelogue. It's violent, it's gory, it's dark and hilarious and heartbreaking. It's queer as fuck.

Oh, that's right. Your character? They don't fit in even with the remnants of society. While everyone else is worried about repopulating the world, your character is a misfit and out of place because of who they love or how they choose to present themselves. And sometimes it's safer to band together, like calling to like, while searching for a place to call home. Doesn't matter if your character is gay, lesbian, or bi, if they're transgender, agender, asexual... if they fall under the queer umbrella, they're welcome.

After some discussion, this is what is going on...

Generations ago - nobody is really sure how many - something strange happened. An alien visitation perhaps, beings inscrutable and strange making no contact and leaving behind strange artifiacts that warped reality in their vicinity. Strangeness spread from these sites, and fear and panic led to attacks and, eventually, bombs of greater and greater strength until the nuclear option was taken in an attempt to remove the sources of the disturbances. The attempt was ill-advised, and something happening, scouring the earth. The only humans left were those who were far enough from the bomb sites and those who took shelter in old bunkers and shelters left over from days where the worst that could happen was nuclear annihilation.

That was then. This is now.

Humans crawled out of their safe niches and nooks when it became safe enough to do so. Gone were the cities, the infrastructure, the accomplishments of civilization. Superstition and fear run rampant, and those who can't or won't conform are often considered dangerous. With all sorts of hazards to deal with, from poor crops to inexplicable events and strange storms, to wandering too close to an Artifact zone, to the poor souls altered by life Outside? Who wants to deal with that?

The Heretics, perhaps. A group of misfits banded together out of necessity, they've made a home for themselves near an Artifact site in an old shelter, venturing forth to recruit new members and reclaim useful items. They do all right for themselves, but some see them as a threat too, as dangerous as anything that's come out of an Artifact zone.

Please note that admission is not first-come first-served; I'm looking for a complimentary group of players and concepts where everyone will be comfortable. If you are interested, please let me know, but hold off on too much regarding characters for now.

OOC Setting
OOC Chat
Accepted Characters

Additionally this is the format for final sheets. Those of you I have talked to about concepts, please reformat to fit with the below:

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Codename and/or Nickname(s):[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender & Preferred Pronouns:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b] Just a brief description of those things that are important to know - hair, eyes, skin, approximate body type and height, tats, scars, abnormalities.

[b]Personality:[/b] A general overview, nothing too in-depth

[b]History:[/b] Enough to give a feel for your character. Secrets can be held back as long as they are communicated to the GM.

[b]Skills and Talents:[/b] What your character is good at - if anything.

[b]Mutations[/b] If applicable. Minor beneficial mutations are accepted as long as they are discussed with the GM first and may require a drawback as well.

[b]Artifcats[/b] If applicable. One minor beneficial artifact can be accepted as long as it is discussed with the GM first.

[b]Fears:[/b] What your character fears most.
Semi-Relevant Information
wants and needs | apologies and absences  | ons and offs

Vael the Destroyer

-strolls in all sexy like-

Well hi there! I am the first, and definitely not the last.

Ouroboros

Sez you. I hope you're right. ;)

Please note that the name is also subject to change if someone comes up with a better one.

Lockepick

Bookmarking and posting interest -- though I admit, I'm a little worried this will focus mostly on the sad aspects of being an outsider instead of celebrating it.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Ouroboros

Oh, I would certainly hope not! This is totally player driven but I would love (love love) if it was more of a celebration, if that makes sense.

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: lockepick on November 08, 2015, 12:24:56 AM
Bookmarking and posting interest -- though I admit, I'm a little worried this will focus mostly on the sad aspects of being an outsider instead of celebrating it.

The character I have in mind to play is going to celebrate being an outsider, and if he were the leader (or one of the leaders) he would be pissed at anyone who would be upset to be an outcast. This is queer heaven, people! Where you can feel understood and celebrate who you are without having people look down upon you. Who cares if it's post-apoc and you have to fight to survive? This shit is amazing!

VioletPanda

I'm interested!

For a cause of the end of the world, just based on what I learned in classes, I caution against a pandemic. I mean, it would do the trick, but in the process of trying to treat the infected, many doctors and medical staff would die, which would be generally bad for the business of living assuming everyone wasn't already sick. The odds of fighting off a disease are very small. ;)

Some kind of natural disaster could do the trick- take a volcano erupting. The ash cloud could cover a large area and effect weather and crop failures for years to come.

Just a thought.

Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Vael the Destroyer

I'm really enjoying entertaining the thought of it being a paranormal apocalypse of some sort, just have no clue what it would actually be.

I do find your idea exquisite as well, Luka.

CShades

Fombies!

O wait, no fombies? Eh.  I like the outcast among outcasts idea. Not really the celebration kind, but can always get carried over.

"The next time I kill you, I promise you the labyrinth that consists of a single straight line that is both invisible and endless" ~Jorge Luis Borges.

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: CShades on November 08, 2015, 12:48:48 AM
Fombies!

O wait, no fombies? Eh.  I like the outcast among outcasts idea. Not really the celebration kind, but can always get carried over.

And now the party can really begin. >:)

VioletPanda

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 08, 2015, 12:42:15 AM
I'm really enjoying entertaining the thought of it being a paranormal apocalypse of some sort, just have no clue what it would actually be.

I do find your idea exquisite as well, Luka.

Thanks :)  In fact, it was one of those events that caused the Dark Ages, and another that caused the near decade of bad weather in Europe that inspired Mary Shelly to write her famous and now classic book. Don't ask me which eruption, because I'm terrible with years and the name of the place was hard to pronounce. :)

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Blythe

Very interested, like the idea of a nuclear apocalypse or paranormal one.

Thinking of a gay male character, very alpha male, who is proud of surviving, proud of helping others survive, and has a very gruff and quiet demeanor.

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: Sherlock on November 08, 2015, 01:24:47 AM
Very interested, like the idea of a nuclear apocalypse or paranormal one.

Thinking of a gay male character, very alpha male, who is proud of surviving, proud of helping others survive, and has a very gruff and quiet demeanor.

I very much enjoy the sound of this man. :D

Also: Welcome!

Ouroboros

I totally approve of this, Sherlock. :D

Also Symph has mentioned potentially shifting from "Heathens" to "Heretics." Thoughts?

Personally I had been leaning toward either a global warming event or nuclear apocalypse, mostly because I was having trouble coming up with a suitably awesome paranormal apocalypse. This is also occurring while I am drugged up and getting over an ear infection so my creativity has not exactly been off the charts. The closest I got in my head was sort of like the beginning of Shadowrun/Earthdawn where magic kind of "wakes up" after a long drought and wreaks havoc, but that's pretty messy and nebulous.

Vael the Destroyer

I'm sure we can all put our brains together to figure out something wonderfully tragic. <3

You really do need to stop getting sick though.

Ouroboros

Vael the Destroyer

Wolfling72

Touches this thread with one small finger because  yus...

For the record this would be another game that I would want to play but would not be able to build a good enough character for so would be bookmarking and reading ALL THE TIME.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: Wolfling72 on November 08, 2015, 09:23:05 AM
Touches this thread with one small finger because  yus...

For the record this would be another game that I would want to play but would not be able to build a good enough character for so would be bookmarking and reading ALL THE TIME.

-tacklehugs- YOU! I have missed you.

Wolfling72

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 08, 2015, 09:27:31 AM
-tacklehugs- YOU! I have missed you.

Smexy SS!! If you are here mayhap I should add my interest in the hopes that I could come up with something GOOD???

O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Ouroboros

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: Wolfling72 on November 08, 2015, 10:06:44 AM
Smexy SS!! If you are here mayhap I should add my interest in the hopes that I could come up with something GOOD???

Oh darling! I am definitely here. Ouro had me at post-apoc. XD

I know you have some wonderful ideas in that muse of yours. A handsome blonde of sorts. >:) On top of that you'll get all the cuddles, and cuddles are fucking great.

Just a reference for everyone, this is who I am going to be using. Right hurr!

Craving playing another Southern boy from a Christian family who kicks ass, takes names, and owns the fact that he's gay and his daddy taught him how to shoot despite him being the son his dad never wanted.

Faustus

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Ouroboros

one of us

For the record I anticipate a fairly relaxed posting schedule. You can totally do it. :D :D :D

Blythe

I'm thinking of this fella as a character image, potentially.

As far as a nuclear apolcaypse brainstorm, since I've played some Fallout (which is my inspiration for said snippet of idea), the only idea I can think of is that war, threat of nuclear fallout, people put in vaults for their safety, government decides to screw with people to socially experiment with vault populations, get an entirely LGBTQA vault, government experiment thinks its an easy way to herd off/get rid of LGBTQA folks, plan hilariously backfires when the LGBTQA vault is one of the only ones that makes it through unscathed and not only that, thrives, because they were just so damn used to adversity in the first place that adjustment wasn't as hard for them.

Not the best idea, but trying to contribute/brainstorm as best I can. ^^

Edit: Wolfling! <3

Also I like the "Heretics" as a name depending on what tone the game is going for. ^^

Wolfling72

Quote from: Ouroboros on November 08, 2015, 10:11:43 AM
Please do! :D

Ahhh da pressure...

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 08, 2015, 10:13:58 AM
Oh darling! I am definitely here. Ouro had me at post-apoc. XD

I know you have some wonderful ideas in that muse of yours. A handsome blonde of sorts. >:) On top of that you'll get all the cuddles, and cuddles are fucking great.

Just a reference for everyone, this is who I am going to be using. Right hurr!

Craving playing another Southern boy from a Christian family who kicks ass, takes names, and owns the fact that he's gay and his daddy taught him how to shoot despite him being the son his dad never wanted.

*makes da grabby hands at* Oh you are doing this on purpose!

Yus da handsome blonde...I even have a chocolate god (of sorts) up in this brain. I blame you for all of that.

*all da cuddles, all da cuddles*

Quote from: Sherlock on November 08, 2015, 11:11:21 AM

As far as a nuclear apolcaypse brainstorm, since I've played some Fallout (which is my inspiration for said snippet of idea), the only idea I can think of is that war, threat of nuclear fallout, people put in vaults for their safety, government decides to screw with people to socially experiment with vault populations, get an entirely LGBTQA vault, government experiment thinks its an easy way to herd off/get rid of LGBTQA folks, plan hilariously backfires when the LGBTQA vault is one of the only ones that makes it through unscathed and not only that, thrives, because they were just so damn used to adversity in the first place that adjustment wasn't as hard for them.

Not the best idea, but trying to contribute/brainstorm as best I can. ^^

Edit: Wolfling! <3

Also I like the "Heretics" as a name depending on what tone the game is going for. ^^

*loses all train of thought at the smexy face Sherlock is thinking on* *hugs da 'lock*

And I likes that idea...*nods muchly* Your brain is an amazement...
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Vael the Destroyer

Hnng. You're officially evil. I don't know you, but you're evil and I enjoy you.

Quote from: Wolfling72 on November 08, 2015, 11:18:51 AM
*makes da grabby hands at* Oh you are doing this on purpose!

Yus da handsome blonde...I even have a chocolate god (of sorts) up in this brain. I blame you for all of that.

*all da cuddles, all da cuddles*

Hnng. Chocolate gods. -drools puddles-

Quote from: Faustus on November 08, 2015, 10:51:21 AM
*whispers* Don't do this to me, you guys.

*wibble*

We're doing this to you, and you should do it, because you'd be such a wonderful addition and we all love you, because you're amazeballs.

Ouroboros

You know, that would address my as-yet unspoken concerns about people who might be hesitant to play a trans character if they didn't have access to hormones and so on. Maybe not an entirely LGBTQA vault, but I could see the government profiling people and shunting the "undesirables" into Vaults they didn't expect to last in the name of operational harmony or something. Red vaults and blue vaults, yeah? Assuming of course that this is even in the US. I kind of was because guns, but it doesn't have to be.

Blythe

I'm totally open to a non-USA setting.  ;D

And I see what you mean about not-entirely LGBTQA vaults--that makes sense. I'd love to see trans* characters and wouldn't want people to feel hesitant about playing such a character. ^^

BAMF

»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Vael the Destroyer

Switzerland has super lenient gun laws, so pretty much everyone over there has a gun.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

This is just my opinion, but both nuclear and zombie apocalypses are somewhat...Common.

I fastened on two words in the original post: Roadside Picnic.

For those unfamiliar with it, this is the Russian novel on which the Stalker movie was based. The idea is that the aliens came and left...And didn't bother making first contact. Instead, they contaminated vast areas of the earth which now are called 'Zones.' In the Zones, the laws of physics may not always apply. Alien technology is so strange that an awful lot of it makes no sense whatsoever...Imagine a stone-age man trying to fix a car with a bad sparkplug. Even if you explained what part was wrong, and tried to explain how it worked, the best he could probably do is try to whittle something out of wood which fit into that space. The worst might be misunderstanding how 'spark' was applied and setting the car on fire, possibly with catastrophic results. The Zones had strange effects on the children of those near them... And sometimes on the dead, as well, if you must have zombies.

So how would others feel about a situation in which there was a total breakdown of society, a massive population reduction not due to fear of plague, but due to fear of what one's own children might become, strange and monstrous beings, bizarre technologies, most of which were not understood at all (in the books, humans were able to work out that certain things could be used as batteries, and others were effectively sonic grenades, but that's probably not what the original owners used them for).

The title of the book comes from one scientist's hypothesis about why the aliens didn't make contact, and why they left all this stuff behind them contaminating the world: if you stopped by the side of the road for a picnic, left your trash lying around, and moved on, you wouldn't bother to inform the ants, would you?

Note that this could be mixed in with the nuclear, plague, and zombie apocalypses. All it takes is a few major nations trying to cleanse the zones with hydrogen bombs, a few alien diseases added to the ecosystem (there were hints of these in the books) and the walking dead are already a part of the setting.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I'll also note that one interesting and different post-apocalyptic group misfit-and-outcast idea would be a small travelling "gypsy" (using the word to describe a paradigm, not meant as a slur) carnival/freak show (see previous). These things were all the rage during most of recorded civilization, and it's only in recent years that they started being large enough to require trains to carry them around or large enough to have permanent bases of operation. During most of history, they rolled into town, tried to swindle and scam goods and funds out of the locals, then rolled out again before they ended up in jail.

Well, before MOST of them ended up in jail.

Just an idea. I'm not married to either of these ideas (my husband is too snuggly), but I thought they'd be interesting to chuck out there.

And, as an aside, the classic distinction between a heathen and a heretic: they're both externally-imposed ideas -- the heathen may be forgiven his ignorance of the righteous ways, but the heretic knows the truth and tries to deny/fight against it. In the classic Inquisitional sense, it's the difference between an idolator (too many of them, why waste our time) and a Satanist (you know who the Enemy is, and still you choose to follow him!).

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Vael the Destroyer

Hmm. It is a very interesting idea. I am intrigued as to how that would play out, especially if strange and monstrous beings were included. The animals in the 'zones' becoming mutated beasts with human-level intelligence and strength to boot. Could be very frightening.

BAMF

...I'm thinking about Animorphs now. Because the alien they ran around with who was "like a combination between a deer and a scorpion and a human." Or the other one that was like "a giant centipede," or the other one that was like, "has blades for arms."

*still whining at the thread*
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Wolfling72

*uses one finger and beckons the BAMF*

Shattered forced me to laze around here...and then the Sherlock made it worse...come in...

It's niiiiice.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

BAMF

THE ONLY REASON I'M HERE IS SHERLOCK HAD TO MENTION IT ON MUMBLE LAST NIGHT.

*SIIIIGH* this is all his fault.

Color me tentatively interested, dammit.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: BAMF on November 08, 2015, 02:02:27 PM
...I'm thinking about Animorphs now. Because the alien they ran around with who was "like a combination between a deer and a scorpion and a human." Or the other one that was like "a giant centipede," or the other one that was like, "has blades for arms."

Well, pretty much any of the various apocalyptica allow for weird mutations (assuming suspension of disbelief in regards to real mutations (usually pre-natal and frequently fatal) and Hollywood/Atomic Fiction mutations (instantaneous on exposure to substances (oh look, it's a superhero trope!) and frequently freaky but non-fatal), whether it's due to bizarre biohazards, radiation, or what-have-you. Even some of the zombie ones would allow for it, although in such a setting it'd be tricky to keep your comrades from killing you off as 'potentially infected,' I imagine.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Vael the Destroyer

I can see where things could definitely get messy if zombies were a thing. Though pairing alien stuff with nuclear stuff would be interesting. What if the governments ordered bombs be dropped on the 'zones' to keep people from reproducing and making scary children?

So many possibilities.

Quote from: Wolfling72 on November 08, 2015, 02:04:18 PM
*uses one finger and beckons the BAMF*

Shattered forced me to laze around here...and then the Sherlock made it worse...come in...

It's niiiiice.

*le gasp* I did not force you... okay, maybe I did force you with cuddles because I'm a cuddle whore

VioletPanda

OMG I love Animorphs so much! There should totally be an Animorphs rp somewhere!

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Ouroboros

I am about to head out for a few hours, but I just wanted to drop in and say that I am digging the Roadside Picnic direction. (I mean I did mention it in the initial post, but...) I'll be back later for enticement and GMing purposes.

VioletPanda

I like the Picnic idea, but I really don't like the zombie idea. It's been so overdone. Like, so overdone I don't even know how to put it into words.  :-(

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Vael the Destroyer

BAMF

Yeah. I like the mutants angle, not the zombie-mutants angle. Because oh my god I'm so tired of zombies. >.<
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Vael the Destroyer

Ouroboros

OK, so check me on this. Based on what I've been hearing so far, things are starting to take shape in my head to a certain degree. I just wanted to make sure what I'm thinking lines up with what you're interested in. All thoughts are vague and open to change.

What happened: Alien visitation + panic nukes. Details to be hammered out or not, personally I'd be more interested in leaving things vague, weird, and unknowable so the changes and threats can be brought in as thematically and dramatically appropriate. Back in The Past, aliens dropped by and made things interesting, and after they left various world governments started bombing things with... odd results.

Now: There is home base. It's a thriving queer enclave, potentially related to a bomb shelter or maybe it's just someplace people don't want to go due to proximity to an alien site - too close for comfort, but not entirely dangerous. Given the environment elsewhere, it may or may not be safe to be queer and out. Occasionally groups go out scouting and bring back supplies and new members; this allows for different leaders, as well as home base politics and a way to bring new people in as they are interested and able to join.

On the right track?

Also, hello to everyone who has stopped in and expressed interest since I last posted! I'm really happy to see so much interest, even if you are ultimately unable to join. I'm 110% OK with lurkers. :D

Vael the Destroyer

The environment = crazy, evil religious zealots who believe that the aliens were messengers from god to cripple mankind due to it's descent into heathenry?

Lockepick

Been quiet, but still interested! Just no real sway either way.

As a side note, when I saw this again in the 'Unread Posts' section, I thought it was 'The Heathers'. Which... I mean, I guess in same ways it is...

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: lockepick on November 08, 2015, 08:25:15 PM
Been quiet, but still interested! Just no real sway either way.

As a side note, when I saw this again in the 'Unread Posts' section, I thought it was 'The Heathers'. Which... I mean, I guess in same ways it is...

Now I'm wondering if I'm the only person who found that movie insanely weird yet enjoyed it.

Wolfling72

Quote from: Ouroboros on November 08, 2015, 07:00:45 PM
*snippage*
What happened: Alien visitation + panic nukes. Details to be hammered out or not, personally I'd be more interested in leaving things vague, weird, and unknowable so the changes and threats can be brought in as thematically and dramatically appropriate. Back in The Past, aliens dropped by and made things interesting, and after they left various world governments started bombing things with... odd results.

Now: There is home base. It's a thriving queer enclave, potentially related to a bomb shelter or maybe it's just someplace people don't want to go due to proximity to an alien site - too close for comfort, but not entirely dangerous. Given the environment elsewhere, it may or may not be safe to be queer and out. Occasionally groups go out scouting and bring back supplies and new members; this allows for different leaders, as well as home base politics and a way to bring new people in as they are interested and able to join.

OK I REALLY like this idea, this version of the landscape. *nods* This makes me want to play here MORE, not Less.

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 08, 2015, 07:03:22 PM
The environment = crazy, evil religious zealots who believe that the aliens were messengers from god to cripple mankind due to it's descent into heathenry?

Yes?!
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: BAMF on November 08, 2015, 06:19:46 PM
Yeah. I like the mutants angle, not the zombie-mutants angle. Because oh my god I'm so tired of zombies. >.<

Agreed. Next question that raises is, how does the local enclave feel about mutants? Are there mutant party members? Or are mutants outcasts/the enemy/what have you?

Quote from: Ouroboros on November 08, 2015, 07:00:45 PM

On the right track?

Well, you KNOW I'm going to like it; I suggested it. :)

One thing I loved about Roadside Picnic was how clearly it took Clarke's Law to a believable extreme, with faint hints of causality but rarely any certainty (silver spiderwebs that aren't quite there). Things just happened and people responded to them with a mix of science and superstition...And the latter was as likely to get you valid results as the former.

So, perhaps the average person at the time of the visitation/nuclear exchange hardly knew anything more than rumors and weird stories before the lights went out. How long ago was that? Are there survivors from that time? Are we survivors from that time? Or are we all descendants?

(I favor descendants, with the past as unknowable, strange and alien as the future)

Quote from: Ouroboros on November 08, 2015, 07:00:45 PMIt's a thriving queer enclave, potentially related to a bomb shelter or maybe it's just someplace people don't want to go due to proximity to an alien site - too close for comfort, but not entirely dangerous.

Why not both? It's a bomb shelter that was unfortunately close to one of the places the alien incursion spread. Borderlands and liminal zones have always been more interesting, long before there was a game by that name...

Any place like and unlike meet and don't quite blend in harmony, that's ripe pickings for story-bait, IMHO.

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 08, 2015, 07:03:22 PM

Aaaaaaaaaand I think we have a good potential candidate for our first set of villains. Some sort of post-apoc cleansing paladinate, perhaps?

Still definitely interested, still definitely intrigued, and still churning out ideas. :) I do that.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Cold Heritage

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on November 09, 2015, 01:36:56 AM
Aaaaaaaaaand I think we have a good potential candidate for our first set of villains. Some sort of post-apoc cleansing paladinate, perhaps?

The descendants of doomsday preppers, maybe?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Roen

Come and Write with Me! (O/Os and Ideas)
Even the oldest of sights has a moment of rebirth.
-Nathan Alterman.

Caehlim

I'm interested.

You mean Andalites, Taxxons and Hork-Bajir? *coughs and shuffles his feet* I really love those books.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

BAMF

Yes! Thank you Cae. I remembered Andalites after I posted, but I couldn't remember the others. Thank you!!
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Vael the Destroyer

VioletPanda

I  love that  series!  - might have all the books-

Omg now I want to do an Animorphs role play!

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Ouroboros

At this point I haven't heard any dissenting opinions, so I'm going to forge ahead with what we've discussed (and edit it into the first page of this thread).

That means it's time for what you've all been waiting for. Character creation!

I don't need much from you at present. You can feel free to mention your concepts in the thread, but what I would like is a brief description of the character you're envisioning, what they're good at, their flaws, their hopes and fears and all that good stuff. I don't need a novel; I'd rather the writing take place in the game itself, though I won't complain if you want to write a lengthy backstory.

PM concepts to me, preferably with a header indicating what it is. We'll talk about it. Talk to the other people about concepts too. I love pre-established connections and drama, though I'm not such a fan of endgame/OTP situations because life happens and you can't always assume your partner will be there the entire time.

I'll start up a proper OOC and character repository later tonight, and provide you with a format for your sheet so we have some uniformity once we reach final draft stage. Approved characters will go over to said repository.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be happy to answer them. :D

Blythe

Withdrawing my interest--don't think I'll be able to think of a good fleshed out concept for this. Sorry folks--but happy gaming. :)

Ouroboros

D'aww. If you do change your mind in the future we'll (hopefully) be around!

Wolfling72

Prods the thread. I shall be sending a character concept to you at some point within the next 24 hours, starting now.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Ouroboros

Vael the Destroyer

Oh yes, that reminds me. >:)

Captain Chimera
Name: Rhett Mackey
Nicknames/Codenames: Captain Chimera, Chi (prefers to go by nicknames)
Age & Birthdate: 25, May 4th
Height: 5’11”
Body Type: Slender and lanky, but toned and strong
Hair: Shoulder length, dark brown and wavy, always kept in a bun (except in the bedroom)
Eye Color: Hazel
Distinguishing Features: Man bun, pale skin, strong jaw, contagious smile and fierce scowl. Has quite a few scars on his back and shoulders from various battle wounds.

Personality: Calm under pressure, sassy, snarky, protective, immature at time, proud, feisty. Loves whiskey, smokes, chicken of any variety, hatchets, shotguns, revolvers, and big dicks

General History: Born and raised into a southern Christian family. Taught how to shoot from a young age. Never lived up to his father’s expectations. Middle son of seven children. Half Native-American, half caucasian.

Sexuality: Homosexual - Bottom (Dominant or Submissive)
Sexual On’s: Biting, scratching, hair pulling, rough fucking, slow passionate gushy sex, spanking, throat fucking - receiving, anal - receiving, fingering - receiving, orgasm control, breath control, marking, felching - receiving, rimming - receiving, bondage - receiving, forced plugging, nipple play, men physically stronger than himself
Sexual Off’s: Pedo, Necro, Beasteality, Excessive blood, Scat, Piss

Wolfling72

Dang it SS...you are killing me!!

All da grabby hands

Luckily for you, I can't find my original concept and so I must start over...

(still no Alex, I am saving him for uh other things)
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: Wolfling72 on November 12, 2015, 10:11:52 AM
Dang it SS...you are killing me!!

All da grabby hands

Luckily for you, I can't find my original concept and so I must start over...

(still no Alex, I am saving him for uh other things)

-slowly pushes chi your way-

Oh I know he's going to be wonderful, Wolf darling.

(pshaw, that's totally okay. Eliseo will be waiting for him in some dark alley to suck the blood of some innocent man before they have much coitus.)

BAMF

I'm sorta-kinda waiting to see what others will pitch before I maybe solidify on anything. I've got zero ideas right now.

Also, should note that there's a fairly decent-ish chance I might drop out 'cuz I'm busy with all my other stuff. I'm sure though, when I get caught up (god forbid) I'll be like, "Nah, I can totally do this game too." But we'll see how I'm feeling. :P Thankfully, you're okay with a slower pace!
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Ouroboros

Oh most definitely. Especially given the time of year - I expect things will get crazy for a lot of us in addition to the daily grind.

I will also say that since what I have seen most of thus far, character-wise, has been masculine identifying, I will probably bring in a few characters to flesh things out that lean more toward the feminine side. Just in case anyone was considering a concept but concerned about gynophobia in the collective or anything along those lines.

Lockepick

Not to be that guy, but is there going to be a more... official full write up on the setting? I don't really want to go off the sort of hearsay and the like. I think it'll be an easier setting in general for people to get into when things are more solidified.

Ouroboros

No, no, definitely be that guy. I'm very much in the very minimal/freewheeling mode so if people need more information that's definitely something that I can provide. What would be most helpful? I intend to eventually write up more, but I have visitors descending upon me this weekend and will prioritize what is most useful to y'all.

Lockepick

I guess a general write up of the setting. I do better in a more strict, established setting than anything too open. I've got a general idea from what's been discussed. I get the cause, and I get that the world is over, but I don't really understand the 'how' in the middle.

Some general questions: How long ago did this all happen (ie: was I alive BEFORE or was I born into this)? Is there any reason not to just avoid the 'pockets' at all costs? What the hell are these 'pockets' called (even colloquially)? Where are we, country/area/climate wise? On a scale from 1-10, where 8 is Mad Max, where is civilization?

No real rush, just it's hard for me to work on a character without having a setting to tie him to.

Ouroboros

No worries! I will try to get something more concrete up in the next couple of days, but we will see, especially given the whole visitor thing. >.<

Wolfling72

The only thing that will change for myself and my character concept depends upon the answer to a query asked by lockepick ie

How long ago did this all happen (ie: was I alive BEFORE or was I born into this)? Everything else is easy enough to fill in during play. *nods*
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Ouroboros

That I can answer easily enough - you were not born before everything happened. It has been at least a few generations, depending on how breeding-happy your area of origin was.

Wolfling72

Quote from: Ouroboros on November 13, 2015, 12:02:35 PM
That I can answer easily enough - you were not born before everything happened. It has been at least a few generations, depending on how breeding-happy your area of origin was.

*nods* Ok...then I I have one little change to implement...which you will see after work today (or whenever your company lets you breathe again)
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Ouroboros

CarnivalOfTheGoat

I'd also thrown out the question of whether mutants were set apart from the population in which the player characters start out, or if they were a part of it.

This is the sort of thing that can play in a variety of ways. "Outsider" mutants present instant bogeymen, with the suggestion of "corruption," mutants who are a part of the population but discriminated against as 'lower status' presents a social challenge in terms of inequality and relative status between characters and NPCs, while mutants as a part of the population where there is no discrimination or preference towards 'pure huamns' creates a rather diverse and accepting feeling to the setting.

Thoughts?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Wolfling72

prods thread...

Sent
Marcus
along....

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on November 13, 2015, 03:09:24 PM
I'd also thrown out the question of whether mutants were set apart from the population in which the player characters start out, or if they were a part of it.

This is the sort of thing that can play in a variety of ways. "Outsider" mutants present instant bogeymen, with the suggestion of "corruption," mutants who are a part of the population but discriminated against as 'lower status' presents a social challenge in terms of inequality and relative status between characters and NPCs, while mutants as a part of the population where there is no discrimination or preference towards 'pure huamns' creates a rather diverse and accepting feeling to the setting.

Thoughts?

I would prefer either a mixture with no inherent discrimination OR the Outsider concept. But obviously the GM would have final say. Reasons are two fold~

As noted: the Outsider concept gives an automatic almost human "villain" thus adding drama whenever the "safe" haven is left behind. It also allows a chance to color the environment through the eyes of the Outsider as well as through the enclave's vision, expanding the world view considerably.

Conversely~

If the mutant phenotype is considered par for the course, it gives those of us with odd character concepts something else to work into our build. Since the mutations do not have to be visible, it adds a level of depth to the creation process, depending upon what mutations would be viable for the world as is.

Just my opinion, YMMV.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Vael the Destroyer

Cold Heritage

If mutants are allowed, could I play someone who is along the lines of an Apocalypse World Brainer?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Wolfling72

O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Cold Heritage on November 14, 2015, 07:31:30 PM
If mutants are allowed, could I play someone who is along the lines of an Apocalypse World Brainer?

Fine by me, but I'm not running the show. Are they going to be Apocalypse World level creepy?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Lockepick

Perhaps I'm reading into things -- but can we explain what we mean by mutations? With the theme posted, I pictured mutants to be more 'The Hills Have Eyes' (or perhaps 'Chernobyl Diaries' is more astute) when it was originally suggested. Now I'm getting a vibe that people are thinking more X-Men mutants.

I will say that I'm not saying either side is wrong or unappealing -- just two drastically different themes. This can also just be answered in that initial write up (which again, no rush on).

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: lockepick on November 14, 2015, 10:24:03 PM
Perhaps I'm reading into things -- but can we explain what we mean by mutations? With the theme posted, I pictured mutants to be more 'The Hills Have Eyes' (or perhaps 'Chernobyl Diaries' is more astute) when it was originally suggested. Now I'm getting a vibe that people are thinking more X-Men mutants.

I will say that I'm not saying either side is wrong or unappealing -- just two drastically different themes. This can also just be answered in that initial write up (which again, no rush on).

I was thinking what you're thinking. Physical manifestations. I'm familiar enough with AW though, that I'm not inclined to stand in front of someone wanting to do something like a psycher who has the drawbacks a Brainer does.

On the other hand, AW is almost inherently PvP. The party usually ends up taking itself apart spectacularly.

My voice is only one. I think this is something more people should chime in on?

Mutants (Y/N)?
Psychic mutants (Y/N)?

I can take or leave psychics. I'm sort of juggling a few ideas, one of which includes a mutant who is effectively a post-apocalyptic satyr/minotaur, myself. I have alternative character ideas I'm twiddling with if mutants aren't the direction people want to take.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Vael the Destroyer

CarnivalOfTheGoat

If others will weigh in with their thoughts on the outstanding questions, those people who have character ideas which might be affected one way or another will be able to move forward more easily.

Just saying. ;D

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

BAMF

I'm still on the fence on joining, but I've never really been a huge fan of psychics myself.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Vael the Destroyer

I have no preference as to whether or not mutants are allowed. Either mutants with physical manifestations or psychic mutants are totally okay in my book, just as long as there is some form of balance. Not everyone in the settlement can be a mutant.

Wolfling72

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on November 15, 2015, 12:16:04 AM
I was thinking what you're thinking. Physical manifestations. I'm familiar enough with AW though, that I'm not inclined to stand in front of someone wanting to do something like a psycher who has the drawbacks a Brainer does.

On the other hand, AW is almost inherently PvP. The party usually ends up taking itself apart spectacularly.

My voice is only one. I think this is something more people should chime in on?

Mutants (Y/N)?
Psychic mutants (Y/N)?

I can take or leave psychics. I'm sort of juggling a few ideas, one of which includes a mutant who is effectively a post-apocalyptic satyr/minotaur, myself. I have alternative character ideas I'm twiddling with if mutants aren't the direction people want to take.

Personally, in a Post Apocalyptic world, I would be more comfortable with the idea of physical mutations...(Especially since those with Psy abilities aren't inherently good or bad AND they would be hard as heck to write/RP effectively in a way that makes sense for the build as is.)

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 15, 2015, 12:26:39 AM
Good. The best kind of good. >:)

;D  I am saving Alex, you know that, but that model  was so yummy that I figured you'd like to look at dark chocolate sweets.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: Wolfling72 on November 15, 2015, 06:29:19 AM
;D  I am saving Alex, you know that, but that model  was so yummy that I figured you'd like to look at dark chocolate sweets.

Dark chocolate sweets are my favorite sweets, Wolf-darling. ;) I could have swore I told you that. <3

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 15, 2015, 12:58:31 AM
I have no preference as to whether or not mutants are allowed. Either mutants with physical manifestations or psychic mutants are totally okay in my book, just as long as there is some form of balance. Not everyone in the settlement can be a mutant.

Balance is definitely something to consider. Nobody should be left on the sidelines. I think it might be a good idea to stick to 'mutants, but effectively human in terms of what they can accomplish.'

Which, would seem to mandate against psychics unless you believe in Uri Geller.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Wolfling72

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 15, 2015, 10:02:10 AM
Dark chocolate sweets are my favorite sweets, Wolf-darling. ;) I could have swore I told you that. <3

Course you did, snuggle bug and I remembered!

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on November 15, 2015, 10:22:23 AM
Balance is definitely something to consider. Nobody should be left on the sidelines. I think it might be a good idea to stick to 'mutants, but effectively human in terms of what they can accomplish.'

Which, would seem to mandate against psychics unless you believe in Uri Geller.

Nods.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: Wolfling72 on November 15, 2015, 10:25:51 AM
Course you did, snuggle bug and I remembered!

D'aww! -squishes-

So, humanoid mutants. Maybe they could just have enhanced physical attributes? I really hope I'm not repeating someone with this, but like enhanced endurance, agility, strength, speed, that sort of thing.

Addition: If this idea is approved by Ouro, I might just have to change it to where Chimera is a mutant and has a heightened sense of sight, making him a lot like Bullseye from Marvel Comics. I like playing boys who never miss. ;)

Wolfling72

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 15, 2015, 10:29:05 AM
D'aww! -squishes-

So, humanoid mutants. Maybe they could just have enhanced physical attributes? I really hope I'm not repeating someone with this, but like enhanced endurance, agility, strength, speed, that sort of thing.

Addition: If this idea is approved by Ouro, I might just have to change it to where Chimera is a mutant and has a heightened sense of sight, making him a lot like Bullseye from Marvel Comics. I like playing boys who never miss. ;)

*dies giggling*
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Ouroboros

Hey all!

Haven't had time to sit down and write anything yet but...

- I hadn't really been considering psychic abilities once we went the alien visit/nuclear warhead apocalypse route. Physical, sure - maybe with a drawback of some sort that's semi-obvious (weird feature(s), dietary needs?).
- Most of the mutants were going to be in the twisted, weird, and antagonistic NPC category. Doesn't mean characters can't be, but the majority were going to be more than a little strange.
- If people must have supernatural powers that aren't physical in nature, there's weird alien tech that can be dealt with. It won't work perfectly and it can backfire spectacularly but it can also do some crazy stuff. (Nothing defined as yet - was going to address that case-by-case.)

Wolfling72

Quote from: Ouroboros on November 15, 2015, 11:51:25 AM
Hey all!

Haven't had time to sit down and write anything yet but...

- I hadn't really been considering psychic abilities once we went the alien visit/nuclear warhead apocalypse route. Physical, sure - maybe with a drawback of some sort that's semi-obvious (weird feature(s), dietary needs?).
- Most of the mutants were going to be in the twisted, weird, and antagonistic NPC category. Doesn't mean characters can't be, but the majority were going to be more than a little strange.
- If people must have supernatural powers that aren't physical in nature, there's weird alien tech that can be dealt with. It won't work perfectly and it can backfire spectacularly but it can also do some crazy stuff. (Nothing defined as yet - was going to address that case-by-case.)

I am cool without all the supernatural stuff. Alien tech could more than make up for that stuff anyway.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Faustus

Hey guys - Just letting you know that I won't be able to join you on this rag-tag adventure. :c Once aliens dropped in the mix as even a passing mention. . . I had to step back. Absolutely unnatural, ridiculous fear of them, you see. While they may never actually be shown or interacted with in the game, I still. . . *shudder*

ANYWAY. Kick ass with this, my friends!

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: Faustus on November 15, 2015, 04:05:29 PM
Hey guys - Just letting you know that I won't be able to join you on this rag-tag adventure. :c Once aliens dropped in the mix as even a passing mention. . . I had to step back. Absolutely unnatural, ridiculous fear of them, you see. While they may never actually be shown or interacted with in the game, I still. . . *shudder*

You're adorable. And it's totally understandable. -pets hair-

Faustus

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 15, 2015, 04:06:07 PM
You're adorable. And it's totally understandable. -pets hair-

They're scary! Except the one's from the Alien film series. Those are cute and cuddly, which probably says everything about my phobic states.

Let me know if I can be of any help to the game, though!

Ouroboros

But the aliens are not even present! :(

I totally understand though. I have my phobias as well. Pass the word if you think anyone you know would be interested though!

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Faustus on November 15, 2015, 04:05:29 PM

Sorry to hear! Enjoy what you enjoy!

As to your ideas, Ouroboros, I have to say that I'm much more comfortable with inexplicable and unpredictable alien tech being on the table than psionic characters. I was figuring that mutants would probably vary in their capabilities within the normal human range. You can find exceptionally strong humans and exceptionally weak ones, but none of them can tear steel with their bare hands.

I think it will be far easier to relate to characters who are more-or-less "human-scale."

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Caehlim

Having some more specific details would be helpful, but I've made a few assumptions and built a character concept that can hopefully fit in. I've sent Sam in to see how he works out.

Sam
Name: Syaama Rouhani
Nicknames/Codenames: "Sam"
Age & Birthdate: 25, unknown.
Height: 6'0"
Body Type: Slender, Athletic.
Hair: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Features: Tattoos over his body, strange patterns which are superstitious wards against the strange energy of artifacts that make it safe to travel the wilds. Some say they do nothing, but Sam hasn't mutated yet, has he? They're mostly in places that are usually covered by clothes as many puritans frown on these as a form of pagan witchcraft.
Faceclaim: Hamid Fadaei

Personality: Sam is used to being on his own and has a tendency toward being quiet and speaking only rarely. He favours action over talk. However despite the appearance this gives him he isn't actually shy and can speak easily in front of a large group when necessary, although even then it tends to be short and to the point. He travels light and avoids owning anything he can't carry with him. He's curious, always wanting to know what's over the next horizon or in that strange cave. He's practical, not really one for hypotheticals or philosophy. He's brave, willing to face danger when necessary for himself and others. Going to someone's rescue is something he does without even thinking, it wouldn't ever cross his mind not to do it. As much as he is willing to use force defensively, he values life and would prefer not to have to harm anyone if there is an alternative.

General History: Sam grew up on the outskirts of a larger community, the only child of a couple who hunted and scavenged for a living. He was raised within the community but always felt like an outsider. His family had never fully settled down and were often going out into the wilds for weeks at a time. As soon as he was old enough Sam joined them, braving longer and more dangerous travels the older he got. He found it hard to connect with friends in the community though most of whom had little experience of the wider world beyond the walls and gates they'd grown up within. One day, when Sam was around sixteen, his parents didn't return from a journey they had judged too dangerous to bring Sam with them. He waited a few days, in case they were late and then went out looking for them.

He never found them but he never went back either. He started traveling the wilds, traveling between communities as a courier, trader or explorer. He was always an outsider wherever he went and remained quite isolated. A few months ago though he ran into a terrified young man near one of the communities, he'd been exiled, chased out of town and close to lynched for his sexuality. The young man had expected to die in the wilds, Sam helped him reached a place he'd heard rumours about. When Sam reached the Heathens he felt that he'd found his people. Even aside from being queer himself, he felt a kinship with fellow outsiders and liked being around a community where not fitting in could be understood. Although he still goes off into the wilds, he's remained close to the Heathens for the last few months coming closer and closer to settling down for good.

Skills: Sam is experienced with survival in the wilds and knows how to travel for long distances while remaining fairly safe. He's fit, usually hiking or running rather than relying upon vehicles. While he does know how to use a gun, he's much more practiced with the bow and arrow since it's less dependent upon ammunition. He knows how to hunt, slaughter, butcher and cook most wildlife and can prepare even mutated animals for fairly safe consumption. He can do enough carpentry and basic low-tech crafting to keep his gear repaired and maintained but knows nothing about more advanced science and technology. He can do basic first aid and knows a few plants with medical properties.

Sexuality: Asexual, biromantic.
Sensual On’s: Cuddles, kissing, intimate touching, hand-holding.
Sexual Off’s: Rushing into anything sexual or sex without a lot of intimacy.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Vael the Destroyer

Ouroboros

So!

This week has been crazy. I do apologize for the silence on my part - I have been playing host to parent and friends, and never should the twain meet again because they have nothing in common. To those of you who sent PMs, you are lovely people and I will get back to you soon. By Friday, definitely, if not tonight.

Wabbit

Super-duper interested in this! But I will lurk for a bit until I see a character sheet, and actually fill it out, myself, to make sure I have enough muse to commit.

I like reading everyone's thoughts, and the simple fact that I'm actually, finally, for the first time, have a setting where I'm able to play a gray-sexual character who won't be the odd-man out, or have their sexual identity blurred to heterosexual. I've my eye on this!

Ouroboros

Hello, and thank you for your interest! I hope to have some information up this weekend for people to work with. I think at this point I have Travel Crud from the various people who were visiting and while it's not bad it has killed my brain. xD

Blobbe

As a potential interested, what rating/section would this be in?

Thanls

Ouroboros

Hm. I hadn't quite gotten that far yet. Probably Extreme, but I don't really anticipate anything tremendously extreme occurring. It's just to give people the freedom to write without too much restriction. If others have feedback please feel free to chime in though!

Blobbe

Quote from: Ouroboros on November 21, 2015, 07:57:39 AM
Hm. I hadn't quite gotten that far yet. Probably Extreme, but I don't really anticipate anything tremendously extreme occurring. It's just to give people the freedom to write without too much restriction. If others have feedback please feel free to chime in though!

Fair enough. In that case, I might pass. Thank you and all the best then

Lockepick

For what it's worth, I think I've got a general idea/motivation for a character! Just idly mentioning that I'm still interested.

Ouroboros

Glad to hear it lockepick! And I do apologize for my lack of responsiveness. I really should have expected to 1). not have time to post while I had houseguests and 2). to get sick after because this is what always happens.

So. Currently I am unwell, but attempting to Get Things Done. This is on the list for (hopefully) later tonight. Those of you who have contacted me about characters, I like what I'm seeing and you have the greenlight/go ahead to keep working.

Lockepick

No rush! Take care of yourself and your guests first. No real rush!

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Ouroboros on November 21, 2015, 06:15:47 PM
Glad to hear it lockepick! And I do apologize for my lack of responsiveness. I really should have expected to 1). not have time to post while I had houseguests and 2). to get sick after because this is what always happens.

So. Currently I am unwell, but attempting to Get Things Done. This is on the list for (hopefully) later tonight. Those of you who have contacted me about characters, I like what I'm seeing and you have the greenlight/go ahead to keep working.

Also rather unwell, which is not conducive to character brainstorming. My apologies.

And goodness, Ouro, guests? RL guests certainly come first!

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Wolfling72

(Ouro...I lost my character concept...I know I PM'ed him to you...do you think you could send him back at some point so I can work on him some more...PWEEZE???)

Waves hello
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Wolfling72

Expanded upon it and made it prettier. I hope he fits...

Marcus profile
Name: Marcus "Markie" Loudin
Ethnicity: Jamaican
Height: 6'6"
Body Type: Large, well muscled, athletic

Distinguishing Features Various tattoos and a hoop through his bottom lip, carved from a piece of old polished bone. A scar in the shape of a bite on left calf, missing a small chunk there. He speaks the language of his forefathers as well as plain English, voice carries a trace of accent. Locs that come to the center of his back.

Personality: Does not trust easily and uses humor to keep others at an emotional distance. Polite and abrupt in equal measure depending upon circmstances and the people that surround him. He tries to avoid trouble by maintaining physical distance between himself and others. Though he is large; he is also very light on his feet. He does not laugh often but he wears a near constant grin, the better to hide his thoughts.

History: Raised in one of the nicer enclaves of "post modern civilization", he'd always known that he was different. He'd tried to hide it, tried to ignore it and worked really hard to fit in with the rest of the small community that had arisen from the ashes outside of a major metropolitan area. This particular community prized conformity and child rearing above all else but, as has been noted; he did not give two shits for any of that. He just wanted peace and a place where he could be himself.

A few years after he came to majority; he was caught in a compromising position with a MALE elder of this particular community. Since he did not have either the years or the clout of his "lover", the enclave decided to rid themselves of him. At first? They locked him up, did things to him. Kept him out of the population. When he did not change, would NOT change? He was put out, with only his few meager belongings and enough MRE's for a week's worth of travel.

He enjoyed it. There were a few accidents. A few scavengers of the feral human kind DIED and he ended up with a few more scars BUT none of that mattered. What mattered was freedom. What mattered was the fact that no one tried to turn him into something/someone that he wasn't. Solitary travel increased his proficiency with knives and with his fists. It also worsened his temper but being alone meant that no one was harmed by that aspect of his personality.

Eventually? He ended up with others like himself but he spends just as much time outside of the group as he does with them.

Skills: Hand and knife fighting, tracking, brick making and building (as that was his previous job at the former enclave). He is a dab hand at furniture making (when wood can be gathered or found with that intention) and is best at most solitary pursuits that involve strenth or silence.

Sexuality: Gay - Dominant/Top
On's: Anything covered by the phrase "A man who knows his place..."
Off's: Vore, toilet play, non-con/rape, anything tentacle-y, pedophilia or necrophilia
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

lore

Throwing in my gal for review

Kit

Name: Catherine Aldermore
Nicknames/Codenames: "Kit"
Age & Birthdate: 29, winter.
Height: 5'2"
Body Type: Athletic.
Hair: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Distinguishing Features: Kit has a distinctly androgynous profile and tomboyish frame, reinforced by her choice of loose fitting work attire. When reading or working, she wears a pair of large black framed glasses held together by tape and fixative.
Faceclaim: erika linder

Personality & History
: Smart, snarky intellectual pansexual – an advisor and longtime Heathen who sees to all things agricultural. She survived being raised by dirt farmers desperately trying to get something to grow from irradiated soil only to be very suddenly and unexpectedly betrothed to their landholder’s knuckle-dragging son. She was unknowingly walked into a marriage ceremony but managed to escape the night of their would-be honeymoon.

She ran because she was afraid of becoming a mother and a wife. She ran because she always wanted better. It was because of the books. They had corrupted her. A large shipping container, brimming with tomes from the world before had been delivered to her homestead, mislabeled as kindling for their plow machines. Most were burned, but many survived, squirreled away in an old drainage pipe to be studied by lantern light.

Kit comes off as assured, shamelessly acknowledging her belief in everyone’s right to do whatever with whomever they please, but has muddled through a life of uncertainty. She’s looking for something, hoping to find it – or better: build it – with the heathens. She’s been with them for years and has acquired a reputation for snapping at assistants and being an aloof and cluttered thinker. If you’ve been assigned to work under her as a greenhouse grunt, you’ve probably pissed someone off.

Skills: Kit is more valued for her brains than brawn. She can make damn near anything grow and has expanded her interests to water purification. She’s learned to cultivate the skills of others as well, attempting to bring all with technical knowhow into the fold of her logistical operations – if not drain them of a few good ideas.

Sexuality: Has tried a bit of everything and remains uncertain
Sensual On’s: Good men. Bad women. 
Sexual Off’s: Anything that violates her consent.

Bibliophilia

You have my interest.  But, then, you had that when you made a post-apocalyptic wonderland for LGBTQers.  -prances.-  I've never played one of my omnisexual, gender-fluid lovies in a post-apoc world before.

Wolfling72

Quote from: Bibliophilia on November 25, 2015, 12:58:45 AM
You have my interest.  But, then, you had that when you made a post-apocalyptic wonderland for LGBTQers.  -prances.-  I've never played one of my omnisexual, gender-fluid lovies in a post-apoc world before.

Do eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet....
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Bibliophilia

So, I can't resist.  I'm going with Erika Linder for my character, and making her a chef/gardener.

If we're set underground, or the surface is too dangerous for extended stays, then she'll have a hydroponic "farm" with grow-lights.  It'll have fruits, veggies, herbs and medicinal plants...including cannabis.  If the setting allows for a traditional greenhouse, though, she'll only grow some things hydroponically, unless the soil's been wrecked by the Events.

lore

Don't mind sharing, but heads up, I posted an erika linder character who is also a farmer (three posts above)

Edit

In fact, I'm open to them being related. Hit me up with a pm if you're interested :)

Bibliophilia

OH!  I totally didn't realize that was Erika.  -giggles.-  Wow, and you made yours a gardener!  Clearly great minds think alike.

-ponders.-  Actually....yeah, I could just stick to blond Erika, and they could be twins, or something.  Sending a PM!

la dame en noir

Hello! Just wanted to peek in and stare at the profiles. You have an interesting plot going on :3
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Bibliophilia

Quick question!  How long has it been since the apocalypse?  I read through the thread, but I could easily have missed this, if it was already posted somewhere.

lore

QuoteThat I can answer easily enough - you were not born before everything happened. It has been at least a few generations, depending on how breeding-happy your area of origin was.

Bibliophilia

Thank you!

-ponders.-  That helps a lot in dictating my character history.

Ouroboros

Welcome, everyone who has stopped in since last I peeked into the thread! I have a few more things to put together, but I don't do Thanksgiving and should have the time this weekend (finally!) to do something GMy.

And in the meantime please let me know if you have any questions.

Bibliophilia

I think, instead of Erika, I'm going to go with Ruby Rose.  I will stick with the chef angle, though, probably add in some survivor knowledge of edible wild plants and mushrooms.

Ouroboros

I am currently working on typing up various threads - it's about time I started getting things off the ground. Last call for objections to this game being located in the "Extreme" portion of the board; I am also toying with not requiring sexual ons and offs as part of the character sheet because ideally those wouldn't be the main focus anyway. Ideally.

Ouroboros

THINGS HAVE NOT GONE AS PLANNED THIS WEEKEND. Gah.

That said, I have finally gotten some OOC stuff up.

OOC Setting
OOC Chat
Accepted Characters (currently empty)

Additionally this is the format for final sheets. Those of you I have talked to about concepts, please reformat to fit with the below:

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Codename and/or Nickname(s):[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender & Preferred Pronouns:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b] Just a brief description of those things that are important to know - hair, eyes, skin, approximate body type and height, tats, scars, abnormalities.

[b]Personality:[/b] A general overview, nothing too in-depth

[b]History:[/b] Enough to give a feel for your character. Secrets can be held back as long as they are communicated to the GM.

[b]Skills and Talents:[/b] What your character is good at - if anything.

[b]Mutations[/b] If applicable. Minor beneficial mutations are accepted as long as they are discussed with the GM first and may require a drawback as well.

[b]Artifcats[/b] If applicable. One minor beneficial artifact can be accepted as long as it is discussed with the GM first.

[b]Fears:[/b] What your character fears most.

Ouroboros

And as I realized I was not as clear as I could have been - you do NOT need to have a mutation or artifact for your character. Those fields are optional.

Lockepick

Your OOC Chat link doesn't work! Takes you to the general board.

Ouroboros

whaaaaaa crap.

Thanks for pointing that out! Fixed in ~15 seconds from now.

Wolfling72

so...if you did not contact a person, does that mean the character is not wanted?
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Ouroboros

No, it means I overlooked saying something. However I believe I gave you the all clear for yours. If I didn't, I intended to but then was bombarded by chaos and houseguests.

Wolfling72

Quote from: Ouroboros on November 29, 2015, 08:08:12 PM
No, it means I overlooked saying something. However I believe I gave you the all clear for yours. If I didn't, I intended to but then was bombarded by chaos and houseguests.

Oh Good. *was worried* Then I shall fix him....
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Ouroboros

Hey all,

Just a reminder that if you're interested, I'm now actively accepting concepts and slouching toward beginning soon. In the meantime, I have some questions and answers from the game's OOC.

Quote from: lockepick
1) What is the world like between Artifact Zones and bunkers? Is this 'nature reclaimed the land'? Are there any villages/settlements outside of bunkers? Are there mutant zombies roaming the land murdering people?

Yes, at least where you are, yes, maybe.

Quote2) Where is the world in regards to technology? It's been a couple of generations -- how much has been rebuilt or can be recreated? Have people re-learned how to make anything? Do we have generators or power? Running water? Are all the batteries in the world dead at this point -- so even flashlights and walkie talkies are worthless? Is there any infrastructure?

It probably varies. Some places are anti-technology, others have repurposed alien tech for larger things, some are trying to work to restore previous levels of technology. I'd imagine that unless people created their own they would be out of luck. There's the ability to make batteries as needed, but it's hard and requires resources that may be hard to come by. The bunker does have its own power source, but once you're out of a place like that, good luck.

Quote3) Is there communication between Settlements? Is there any communication between settlements outside of happenstance meetings? Is trade a thing?

Yes, depending on the settlements. (Helpful, I know.) The settlements near the Heathens are neutral to hostile and don't have regular contact, but there is a neutral agrarian commune that will deal with the Heathens on an as-needed basis.

Quote4) What are eating? Is anybody reprocessing food? Are we still living off stuff from the previous world? Are we farming/growing/hunting our own food?

150 year old food would be kind of grody, just sayin'. Most of it has been farmed/hunted. It's hard to get up to large scale herds as they attract predators, but goats and chickens do tolerably well. Agriculture has seen a resurgence, though the soil doesn't seem particularly fertile and it's hard work. The bunker also has hydroponic equipment which is still operational, but uses a lot of water and energy that are only feasible due to its place in a working bunker.

Quote5) What is the Heathen Society like? I assume there is intentionally no answer here, but saying "No answer" is still an answer -- but what is our society like? Do we have a ruler, do we have set laws? Do we have any iron-clad stances on stuff like alien tech or mutations or anything?

This is what y'all need to decide for yourselves. There's probably a leader, and I would assume that alien tech (as long as it is proven safe and non-mutagenic) and mutations are OK. But beyond that it's something I'd rather have happen as a player consensus because you're the ones who will be playing in the world.

Ouroboros

Kicking off IC this weekend. You don't need to get your concept in before then or else, but it would be nice to have a couple more players to start. Let me know if you have any questions.