What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Playing some of my back-log of game, but mostly just playing Skyrim.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Capone

The GBA Ambassador games came out for the 3DS, and I've been playing Metroid Fusion again. When I was in high school it was a major disappointment, as I had been wanting a glorified remake of Super Metroid. I didn't like a lot of the new design choices or the story to it. Approximately 10 years later, I'm able to meet the game on its own level and see why the designers made the choices they did.

Basically, I'm enjoying it more than I did back then.

Though I'll tell you what, realizing just how old this game is makes me feel, well, old.

Inkidu

Quote from: Capone on December 19, 2011, 07:44:44 PM
The GBA Ambassador games came out for the 3DS, and I've been playing Metroid Fusion again. When I was in high school it was a major disappointment, as I had been wanting a glorified remake of Super Metroid. I didn't like a lot of the new design choices or the story to it. Approximately 10 years later, I'm able to meet the game on its own level and see why the designers made the choices they did.

Basically, I'm enjoying it more than I did back then.

Though I'll tell you what, realizing just how old this game is makes me feel, well, old.
Tell me about it. I was playing Final Fantasy on my iPod touch waiting for my mom to get out of the doctor. Some kid was playing Angry Birds on his iPhone and asked if that was what I was playing. Okay, no prob. I said I was playing Final Fantasy, no explanations needed, right?

"Oh..." he says, "What's that."
How does someone even explain that?!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Capone

Part of me feels good, as I haven't actually enjoyed Final Fantasy since 7 (okay, more accurate to say I haven't loved it since 7, with 9 and 10 being moderately enjoyable). But at the same time, Final Fantasy 1, 4, 6 and 7 are such excellent experiences with such great memories.

The thing is, how do you introduce a kid to those games now? FF1 in particular. I think FF4 might be a decent starting point for an 8 or 9 year old, but it's so different from a lot of games they'll grow up with.

Oniya

Well, for FF1, I'd make sure to tell them not to make their first party all White Mages.  Maybe later, as a challenge, but not for the first playthrough.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

meikle

Quote from: Akiko on December 16, 2011, 10:54:26 PM
Holy god the queue to get onto my shard in TOR!

Someone was an Ultima Online player!
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Inkidu

Quote from: Capone on December 19, 2011, 08:00:05 PM
Part of me feels good, as I haven't actually enjoyed Final Fantasy since 7 (okay, more accurate to say I haven't loved it since 7, with 9 and 10 being moderately enjoyable). But at the same time, Final Fantasy 1, 4, 6 and 7 are such excellent experiences with such great memories.

The thing is, how do you introduce a kid to those games now? FF1 in particular. I think FF4 might be a decent starting point for an 8 or 9 year old, but it's so different from a lot of games they'll grow up with.
Pfft. Kids these days. I remember paying IV (II for me) at the age of five or six, but I never played VI or VII until I played VIII.

Oniya

* Oniya is still somewhere in the middle of Disk 1 of VII.  :-[
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Bayushi

Quote from: Inkidu on December 20, 2011, 05:56:54 PMPfft. Kids these days. I remember paying IV (II for me) at the age of five or six, but I never played VI or VII until I played VIII.
Pfft... you kids and your fancy Nintendos!

At the age of five or six, we were lucky if the family had an Atari 2600 or ColecoVision.

Or even a TRS 80.

Khanken

I remember the unboxing of the family's first Super Nintendo Entertainment System. My father didn't really understand video games, so he bought a variety of games. Super Mario RPG and Harvest Moon interest me, and I've decided to pick those up again lately since the PS3 is often occupied by a roommate. Skyrim is fun, but the Super Nintendo is still awesome like it was in the 90's.

Oniya

Quote from: Akiko on December 21, 2011, 04:53:36 AM
Pfft... you kids and your fancy Nintendos!

At the age of five or six, we were lucky if the family had an Atari 2600 or ColecoVision.

Or even a TRS 80.

No love for Pong?

Inkidu

Capone

I have vague memories of being 3 years old and having a CalecoVision. It died. Then we got an NES for my brother's birthday, which came with Super Mario/Duck Hunt, and he got the first Ninja Turtles NES game and a game called Star Voyager.

The Super Nintendo was also awesome, as a Christmas gift for all the kiddies.

I also remember playing Final Fantasy II U.S. for the first time, but it was after we already had the original Final Fantasy for a few years. We were expecting a game with hardly any direction, lots of leveling up and choosing your own character classes without personality. That opening scene of the Red Wings of Baron...

Yeah, that was pretty much when video games became more than just games for me.

dready

Bayushi

Quote from: Capone on December 21, 2011, 10:10:43 PMI have vague memories of being 3 years old and having a CalecoVision. It died. Then we got an NES for my brother's birthday, which came with Super Mario/Duck Hunt, and he got the first Ninja Turtles NES game and a game called Star Voyager.
Yeah, my family didn't get a NES until we were already in the late SNES/Genesis days. Didn't see a SNES or Genesis until the PSX had been around for about a year.

My father had no problems with playing video games. He had issues with his children playing video games. >.<
Quote from: Capone on December 21, 2011, 10:10:43 PMI also remember playing Final Fantasy II U.S. for the first time, but it was after we already had the original Final Fantasy for a few years. We were expecting a game with hardly any direction, lots of leveling up and choosing your own character classes without personality. That opening scene of the Red Wings of Baron...
I loved Final Fantasy IV (was renamed Final Fantasy II for the western market). It was my first Final Fantasy experience.

It had, and still has my favorite quote from any and all video games, "YOU SPOONY BARD!"

Khanken

dready

Quote from: Khanken on December 22, 2011, 02:59:09 AM
That game defines epic.
First playthrough in so long and guess what? I forgot about the tow-line. YES THE TOW LINE. *tableflip* I already miss Curly. ; A ;

Capone

I'm considering grabbing Cave Story 3D for the 3DS, but I'll wait on it first.

Inkidu

Quote from: Akiko on December 22, 2011, 02:48:52 AM
My father had no problems with playing video games. He had issues with his children playing video games. >.<I loved Final Fantasy IV (was renamed Final Fantasy II for the western market). It was my first Final Fantasy experience.

It had, and still has my favorite quote from any and all video games, "YOU SPOONY BARD!"
You too (well actually I remembered Final Fantasy, but the sudden breaks to the battle screen would often terrify me into quitting) to this day it remains my all time favorite Final Fantasy. It didn't have the best battle system, or leveling system, but it did so many other things right.

The next Final Fantasy game I would play would be VIII, and seem to be the only person on the planet that appreciates the merits of that game.

Capone

No, there's a million and one people that love 8. Hell, my best friends in high school were obsessed with it.

I am completely convinced it is a truly shit game, though, whose design is total crap. But I lost it when it turned out they all came from the same orphanage and the summon monsters just gave them amnesia. That was my flip the table "Fuck this shit!" moment.

Then I later found out about the Moon-Monster-Laser and nearly flipped my shit again.

AribethAmkiir

Inkidu

Quote from: Capone on December 23, 2011, 04:33:43 PM
No, there's a million and one people that love 8. Hell, my best friends in high school were obsessed with it.

I am completely convinced it is a truly shit game, though, whose design is total crap. But I lost it when it turned out they all came from the same orphanage and the summon monsters just gave them amnesia. That was my flip the table "Fuck this shit!" moment.

Then I later found out about the Moon-Monster-Laser and nearly flipped my shit again.
Surprisingly enough all that stuff is still not as ludicrous as what they put in VII.

Bayushi

Quote from: Inkidu on December 24, 2011, 12:00:28 PMSurprisingly enough all that stuff is still not as ludicrous as what they put in VII.
Or VI.

As for VIII, it is my favorite Final Fantasy thus far. Though I can't really judge XII much, as I didn't get to play it much. Nor did I play anything after XII.

Inkidu

Quote from: Akiko on December 24, 2011, 12:03:34 PM
Or VI.

As for VIII, it is my favorite Final Fantasy thus far. Though I can't really judge XII much, as I didn't get to play it much. Nor did I play anything after XII.
I think my dislike of XII is well known, but if I get past the disillusioned fanboy who just hurt by a bad game in a beloved franchise I can say this about XII. It was just poor workmanship on the part of Square. They took a bunch of ideas and shoehorned them into a game to try and make it seem new, and it didn't work out for me at least.

Bayushi

Quote from: Inkidu on December 24, 2011, 04:43:30 PMI think my dislike of XII is well known, but if I get past the disillusioned fanboy who just hurt by a bad game in a beloved franchise I can say this about XII. It was just poor workmanship on the part of Square. They took a bunch of ideas and shoehorned them into a game to try and make it seem new, and it didn't work out for me at least.
From what I did play of it, I remember thinking that they should leave the Kingdom Hearts playstyle in Kingdom Hearts.

Anyways, new addition today.

Best friend of mine gifted me with Portal 2 via Steam. I've played a couple levels already, and it's fun.