The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

It doesn't seem to be hurting the TV shows and movies avoiding stuff like that (the ones being produced intelligently, anyway).
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

The tv show Legion on FOX has revealed who is playing Legion. Dan Stevens from Downtown Abbey will be playing Legion, the troubled son of Professor X.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 03, 2016, 08:26:22 PM
The tv show Legion on FOX has revealed who is playing Legion. Dan Stevens from Downtown Abbey will be playing Legion, the troubled son of Professor X.

I thought he was Proteus, not Legion? Or is there more than one son of Xavier? Or did he have multiple names at different times?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Proteus was the son of Moira MacTaggert, the doctor who aided the X-men throughout most of the comic series. She and Professor X did have a sort of relationship in the comic book series. Legion/David Haller was the only one who I believe was mentioned as the son of Professor X. Proteus was a different character who came way before Legion. Legion was introduced prior to the Age of Apocalypse story. He was responsible for the altered time by going back to try to kill Magneto but Professor X but himself before Magneto and was ultimately killed and kicked off the Age of Apocalypse story.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 04, 2016, 12:24:57 AM
Proteus was the son of Moira MacTaggert, the doctor who aided the X-men throughout most of the comic series. She and Professor X did have a sort of relationship in the comic book series. Legion/David Haller was the only one who I believe was mentioned as the son of Professor X. Proteus was a different character who came way before Legion. Legion was introduced prior to the Age of Apocalypse story. He was responsible for the altered time by going back to try to kill Magneto but Professor X but himself before Magneto and was ultimately killed and kicked off the Age of Apocalypse story.

Huh. So it sounds like when Moira mentioned she had a child in the movie, that was supposed to be Proteus, and I guess Legion will strictly on the show. So there'll be the potential for both, just on different mediums. They're not trying to make the universes in the same continuity the way the MCU is doing with their TV shows, are they?

greenknight

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 02, 2016, 06:25:51 PM
Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell
[useless comment]So, they got the Prison Break boys back together? Huh.[/uc] (No, I don't follow DC stuff)

As for Cap is Hydra, I can see it, based on what I've heard of the explanation. I think it would be far more interesting if he acknowledged the events that caused his membership (Hydra as community organization that helped the Rogers) while disavowing the unpleasant actions they conduct. It's all about evaluating the values your parents raised you with and deciding for yourself if they have merit.

But I'm sure no one here has any
experience with that. [/sarc]
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

TheGlyphstone

It's all been revealed already that it's fake though, Steve's memories have been tampered with.

greenknight

When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

TheGlyphstone

Okay, I get it now. And yeah, I definitely agree. It could have been so much more.

Mathim

On The Flash, is the Dominic Purcell character just a former partner of Wentworth Miller, or is he also a sibling like Goldie?

SapphireStar

It seems like they might be attempting to link the movies together with the new two new tv series. There is Legion and they are also doing Hellfire based on the Hellfire Club which might link into Massachusetts Academy that Emma Frost/White Queen ran as a rival school to Xavier's. She trained her own students, which eventually were all killed by Trask and the Sentinels and rendered the White Queen in a coma in the comics. In Legion they stated that the world doesn't know about mutants, and David Haller/Legion doesn't know he is a mutant but soon learns otherwise.

Dominic Purcell plays Mick Rory/Heatwave, who was a former partner of Snart's but they parted ways after Rory went a little overboard on a previous job. Snart brough Rory back in to take down the Flash in season 1. After they were captured, that was when they introduced Lisa Snart/Golden Glider.

Stephen Amell revealed at a panel that the wrestler Stardust will make an appearance on Arrow.

Rumor has it that in the upcoming Power Rangers movie, the Green Ranger will make an appearance.

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 04, 2016, 10:36:13 PM
Stephen Amell revealed at a panel that the wrestler Stardust will make an appearance on Arrow.
Well that's just a Wrestlemania re-match  :-)
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 04, 2016, 10:36:13 PM
It seems like they might be attempting to link the movies together with the new two new tv series. There is Legion and they are also doing Hellfire based on the Hellfire Club which might link into Massachusetts Academy that Emma Frost/White Queen ran as a rival school to Xavier's. She trained her own students, which eventually were all killed by Trask and the Sentinels and rendered the White Queen in a coma in the comics. In Legion they stated that the world doesn't know about mutants, and David Haller/Legion doesn't know he is a mutant but soon learns otherwise.

Dominic Purcell plays Mick Rory/Heatwave, who was a former partner of Snart's but they parted ways after Rory went a little overboard on a previous job. Snart brough Rory back in to take down the Flash in season 1. After they were captured, that was when they introduced Lisa Snart/Golden Glider.

Rumor has it that in the upcoming Power Rangers movie, the Green Ranger will make an appearance.

So if it's supposed to be a reboot of the original series, that would be neat, although a tad early (unless they mean it'll be out-of-costume). I mean, it's after getting her ass handed to her so many times that Rita figures out the best strategy is to employ her own evil Ranger. If it's an origin story again, that would be a rush job.

SapphireStar

It seems like the new Power Rangers movie is basically a reboot, so it is likely that they might have the Green Ranger appear in the movie. They seem to have Rita engaging more in the actual fights then before where she just threw the wand to make the monsters grow. Though it seems more of a rumor at the moment. They apparently are planning at least seven Power Rangers films.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 05, 2016, 10:27:00 PM
It seems like the new Power Rangers movie is basically a reboot, so it is likely that they might have the Green Ranger appear in the movie. They seem to have Rita engaging more in the actual fights then before where she just threw the wand to make the monsters grow. Though it seems more of a rumor at the moment. They apparently are planning at least seven Power Rangers films.

See, that would make for a good movie. I think Ivan Ooze actually was slightly more like that (although I haven't seen the movie in about 20 years, unless you count the Nostalgia Critic review of the first Power Ranger movie) because they engaged him directly in the end. Of course if they defeat her directly, it'll mean they have to find another prime villain for the batshit crazy number of sequels planned. And how is the TV stuff supposed to connect to that, if they change up the formula in that way?

SapphireStar

The first two movies, still had the cast from the tv series but sort of respun a few things. They introduced Delphina who trained the Rangers to fight Ivan Ooze. But there was no mention of her in the tv series. Unless the new movies will be their own seperate, alternate universe from the tv shows. Though with the shows, things have hopscotched around continuity wise. Makes me wonder if the other movies will reboot the other series like Turbo, Zeo, Ninja, Lost in Space, etc. Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be Goldar or any of the other minions set to appear in the new Power Rangers movie?

CaptainNexus616

The original Mighty Morphin Power Ranger Movie was not connected to the TV Franchise. Its considered a separate universe.

While the Turbo Movie however is in fact canon to the TV Franchise.

BTW those who saw Civil War will get a kick out of this.

https://youtu.be/fvLw021rVN0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on July 06, 2016, 09:15:03 PM
BTW those who saw Civil War will get a kick out of this.

I think that's probably the best HISHE I've seen so far, and I've seen all of them, and there are dozens.

SapphireStar

I happened upon an article, Zach Synder has added another actor to the growing cast for Justice League. Colin Farrell has joined the cast in a unknown role.

greenknight

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 06, 2016, 11:44:50 PM
I happened upon an article, Zach Synder has added another actor to the growing cast for Justice League. Colin Farrell has joined the cast in a unknown role.
Bullseye, right ;)

Mathim

I heard about that on the imdb board. Apparently it's thought it will be
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Steppenwolf, the main villain.

SapphireStar

I thought that role had already been cast and it went to someone else? They could be casting Farrell in a role of maybe one of the New Gods like Orion who is the son of Darkcide but was given to High Father to raise while Kalibak was raised by Darkcide.

mia h

Steppenwolf already appeared in BvS. Well in a deleted scene but it'll be included in some extended special directors cut ultimate edition, and I doubt they get Farrell in just do a voice over for this guy :

If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 07, 2016, 03:31:45 PM
I thought that role had already been cast and it went to someone else? They could be casting Farrell in a role of maybe one of the New Gods like Orion who is the son of Darkcide but was given to High Father to raise while Kalibak was raised by Darkcide.

Not according to the article I quoted a few posts ago, where he was one of the few roles not yet confirmed to be cast, unlike the one that went to Willem Dafoe.

SapphireStar

I saw another article which states that there are at least three other actors along side Colin Farrell making an appearance in Justice League. All of their characters are being kept under wraps. One speculated that Colin Farrell might be playing John Constantine as it seemed to be being hinted and he was at one linked to play the character in Guillermo Del Toro's Justice League Dark.  The other actors joining the cast are:

Charles Dance
Julian Lewis Stone
Michiel Huisman (Game of Thrones)