Independence Day Dilemma

Started by Paradox, July 04, 2008, 11:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

I'll try to make this short.

A year or so ago, my girlfriend gave me a pair of boxers. For all intents and purposes, they're basically an American flag warped into the shape of boxer shorts. Our forefathers had strict rules when it came to how the flag was supposed to be treated. There are rules on how to dispose of an old frayed flag. There is an important rule stating that the flag must never touch the ground. We're supposed to treat the symbol of our country with the utmost patriotic respect, so I feel weird wearing a flag around my nether regions.

Now, keep in mind, this isn't an American flag that someone cut up and made into a pair of underwear. Its just a store-bought pair of boxer shorts decorated with the stars and stripes. I've always found it trashy when people wear the flag. Kid Rock wearing it as a cape, other people having it made into various other items of clothing...not very classy. I know they're only doing it out of pride, but I think I can find other ways to show my pride than to clad my crotch in Old Glory; besides, I kind of prefer boxer-briefs.

Because of this, I hardly ever wear the pair of boxers in question; however, I am wearing them because today is the 4th of July. My front yard is full of miniature flags; my porch has a full-sized flag flying from it; my car has a flag on it; so I figured why not wear a flag on my ---censored--- as well. They're awfully comfortable, I must admit...yet I feel ethically uncomfortable.

My decision to wear them today may also have something to do with the fact that my girlfriend would probably be a little upset if I didn't wear them.

My question to the world of Elliquiy at large is as follows:

How do you feel about people wearing the flag?

What about flag underwear?

Lastly, is it wrong for me to be wearing these boxers?

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Sherona

Very hard to answer. If I answer honestly and say that i don't really think it matters much if one wears a flag over their crotch or on their backs...then people might scream at me and decry me unpatriotic..*grins*

To me the flag is just another symbol..to be honest, the Bald Eagle is our nations bird, but people still wear them on underwear, helmets, just about everywhere with no sense of ethical wrong...I don't see anything wrng wtih it myself.

Then again I don't see anything wrong with burning books or burning flags in protest either...so..yeah I am probably not a good one to judge if its ethical or not ;)

Jefepato

The flag's just a symbol.  Respecting the symbol is silly and meaningless; if you actually respect what the symbol stands for, it doesn't matter what you do to the flag itself.

Paradox

I see your point, but I come from a family--and geographical area-- with deep military ties. I disagree about "it doesn't matter what you do to the flag itself"...if you respect what it stands for, then you need to respect the flag too. That's like a Christian wiping his ass with a crucifix and saying "I love Jesus and what he stands for, so it doesn't matter what I do to his symbols."

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Jefepato

Not really.  First of all, unlike flag boxers or a flag cape, I can't think of a compelling reason why a Christian (or anyone else) would want to wipe his ass with a crucifix.

And secondly, one of the biggest things the flag stands for is freedom of expression.  If you want to express yourself by doing something awful to the flag, you're still exercising the freedoms it stands for.  And if you want to express your love of America by wearing flag boxers, your motives are surely beyond reproach, so why worry?

Paradox

Technically, you're expressing the freedom it stands for; but at the same time, you're abusing it.

Letting people burn the flag and do other awful things to it would allow people to disrespect and insult this country more than they already do.

But you're right about the second part. Wearing flag boxers isn't really "awful", I suppose.

Sherona

I do take acception to the implications that those who do support the freedom of expression in burning flags, or wearing flags in whatever form they want, means that they do not support the military.

I support our military, I do not support the decisions the president and congress have allowed to be made such as the war on Iraq but I support the men and women who don a uniform and do risk life and limb for us, even if it means that they sometimes are forced to follow orders that come from bogus information.

I have gone so far as to invite  military people from the base located near us to my house for thanksgiving, those who are stationed far from their own families. ANyone who knows me, knows that is HUGE deal for me as I dislike meeting new people to the point of obsession. I donate supplies for military families whos husbands are off to war, such as cell phones and the like. I donate my time in helping my daughters class write letters to soldiers stationed abroad.

I support my troops. I support my country even when I don't agree with the decisions those running it make. I support the freedoms we have, also. *shrugs* Just wanted to say that just because someone supports freedom to burn or wear flags does not mean we do not support our troops or country.