Interest Check: The Murders in Teedle Town (Adult Game)

Started by LookingGlass, April 24, 2015, 10:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LookingGlass

As a long time off and on user of E, I've decided that I want to take a step towards setting down some creative roots and try to make my first group game! When I began thinking of, "The Murders in Teedle Town," the idea of a murder mystery took hold of my imagination and ran around my thoughts until I finally put the idea to paper. While I'm nervous about putting this idea out there for everyone to consider, I'm far more excited about the possibilities that the idea presents. Not only do I want to keep players/writers on their toes, but I want to encourage them to explore their creativity in a modern fantasy setting where the boundaries are set by the limits of your want to explore them. "The Murders in Teedle Town" will be bizarre, fantastical, curious, visceral and suspenseful (hopefully). I hope to create a murder mystery that everyone is not only engaged and interested in, but also feels invested in.

Now, as this is an adult game, sex will play part and (for some) be quite important to the plot and development of their character. While I know it probably isn't done often, I want to bridge light, Bondage, S&M and Non-Con into one game. I feel that with different people in a town setting, it's impossible to exclude one kind of want from another; everyone wants something different after all. I am open to suggestions as to how to properly manage this aspect of the game. 

Thank you for reading this far and if you think, "The Murders in Teedle Town," might have a little something for you, please keep reading! After you're done, if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me or post them here!

~Introduction: Welcome to Teedle Town~

"Why hello there, stranger. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mr. Walsh and I'll be your guide to our lovely home, Teedle Town.

In a world so wide, there is no place quite so curious as Teedle Town. Neither too big or too small, Teedle Town is the home of many peoples and personalities; charming some might say. Sure it's neither Here or There, but it is home. You might be wondering, "What's so special about a town hidden away between Here and There?" A wonderful question to be sure! Teedle Town isn't punctuated by any landmarks of note, no famous artist has ever been born to or taken up residence and nothing of historical significance has ever seen the town's name written in books. So what's left? What has kept Teedle Town from being consumed by the ho-hum doldrums of time? The people of course. Or perhaps more truthfully, the relationship between the people and Wont. For you see, there are few secrets in Teedle Town which a Wont won't make perfectly evident if not tended to. If not properly satisfied.

What is a Wont? Now isn't that a question. Your Wont is the part of you which pulls you from the warmth of your bed every morning. It compels and motivates you whether you like it or not. Simply put, it's the part of you without which, there would be no you Practically speaking, there are few secrets of self that manage to stay hidden here. In Teedle Town, a person is never without their Wont and must always take steps to satisfy it, otherwise it can become quite unmanageable; growing louder, more pronounced and demanding as time goes on. Mrs' Landry for example, the old gal has always had a thing for sweets: you could say she's insatiable. Not long ago, the local bakery was closed for renovations and Mrs. Landry couldn't get her daily cake. At first the poor thing tried to hide the fact that her Wont, the cutest little dog you've ever seen, had suddenly taken to be as tall as her waist. She had to beg the Mr. Franklin, the baker, to start baking out of his own home. She even paid double.

There is no shame in satisfaction, only in denial and the trouble caused by doing so. It is based upon this understanding that the people of Teedle Town live alongside and learn to accept one another. But don't worry, there is more than one way to satisfy an itch. So don't be shy, lord knows we aren't."

LookingGlass

~Plot~

Two weeks ago, something unthinkable has happened in Teedle Town: one of its residents was found dead on the steps of his home. Both body and Wont had been battered beyond recognition. There were no clues left at the scene, even the carnage was strangely contained to the steps and immediately surrounding the body. Nothing seemed out of order otherwise. Then again, just last night, another body was discovered: this time it was a woman. Just like the victim before her, the violence visited upon her was strangely contained; it's the only thing tying them together. Without any leads to follow up on, Investigators have been left to clamor for answers in a town where secrets are the hardest thing to keep.

Who or what is committing these ghastly murders? Is it possible that the murderer is someone born and raised in Teedle Town? Could it be a tourist? Who will be next?

LookingGlass

~Characters and Roles~

At last, the fun part! A Murder in Teedle Town is a Mystery game set in a modern fantasy world with magic realism, as such, I'm going to allow a certain degree of creative freedom in regards to your character. You can play as and be whomever you want to be within reason. You don't all have to be human, but I'd prefer that you air on the side of humanoid and nothing overtly or unnecessarily powerful (we aren't trying to beat one another up). As your Wont is an extension of your character, you can go a bit more crazy with that. Keep in mind that everyone can see it though, so be careful with what you choose.

In terms of roles, you can fill any position that would fit in with a town or city sort of setting. Choose something that interests you and will allow you most freedom to explore your character and his or her Wont. The only role that is off the table as of now, is the murderer. I'll be handling that for now.

Character sheets are mostly for reference. Feel free to use the template below or make your own.

Name:
Wont: (Pictures or description)
Satisfying your Wont:
Background (optional):

LookingGlass

~Rules, Regulations, Mechanics and Expectations~

These rules aren't set completely in stone, I'm still trying to work things out and welcome any and all suggestions.

1) This is a Mystery game, so your goal is to survive and figure out who the murderer is. If you have hunches or wish to investigate something, I will let you know how much you will find out. I will also provide hints and clues as time goes on. While it is possible for your character to be targeted by the murderer, it will not happen out of the blue. Ample hints will be provided and you will be given a chance to escape your fate.

2)Since character death is possible, you are allowed to pick up more than one character.

3) As has been mentioned, this is a modern fantasy with magic realism. Magic realism does not mean magic in the sense of fireballs or animate skeletons. Use it to have fun with surroundings, objects or things. Everything in moderation!

4) This is an adult game and will feature sexual content. As the setting and plot allows for a variety of fantasies (consensual, non-consensual and otherwise) please keep your fellow writers in mind and detail your exploits accordingly. If you have the want or need to go into heavy detail and want to keep things going for a while, take the bulk of the scene to PMs and have at.

5) Satisfying a Wont should happen regularly. This can happen by performing a certain task or through sexual encounter. Failing to do so will result in your Wont steadily becoming unmanageable and will make for a burden on your character (mentally and physically).

6) Please be sure to read the profiles of players and characters who you'd like to interact with. If you have any questions, concerns or propositions, be sure to ask that person. If you have some sort of fantasy or scene that you'd like to play out, it is imperative that you clear it with your potential partner first. This is particularly important if you want to deal with your Wont with sex. 

7) Please do your best to post two or three times a week. If you can't do more, please let me and anyone you might be interacting with, know ahead of time.

8)Power playing is not allowed (all powerful, all knowing, invulnerable characters etc).

LookingGlass

~Notes~
I'm still developing various ideas for this game, so there are still a few things that have yet to be set in stone. If you have any suggestions, please let me know and I'll take them into consideration. I love feedback!

Magic Realism: Not to be confused with escapism or surrealism, magic realism takes magical, fantastical or otherwise "unreal" elements and fuses them into the reality of a plot, setting and characters of a story. As far as every character knows, things have been and always will be the way that they are: nothing that the reader thinks of as magical is unusual to the character. This is their reality, it informs how they think, how they act and what they do. 

Wont: This is a physical manifestation of something that your character feels the need to do every day. As you may have noticed, I'm taking this idea from the root word: wont, which means a habit or something you are predisposed to doing. In doing so, I've taken that concept and brought it to the extreme logical conclusion and made it something that boarders on OCD. If a character does not fulfill the Wont, the creature, object or whatever you have it as, will grow bigger, irritable and difficult to manage. As you can imagine, this will make the character's life difficult and cause a good bit of mental and physical strain.

~List of Interested Players~

~List of Current Players~

LookingGlass

LookingGlass

LookingGlass

LookingGlass

Cassandra LeMay

Could you perhaps go a bit more into what you call "magic realism"? Some examples from lierature or cinema might be useful.

Investigating murders is normaly the domain of law enforcement officers, coroners, and the like. Does Teedle Town have a police force in the sense our modern world has? If so, will everyone have the same opportunities to get involved in the story, even civilians?
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

LookingGlass

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on April 25, 2015, 08:57:38 AM
Could you perhaps go a bit more into what you call "magic realism"? Some examples from lierature or cinema might be useful.

Investigating murders is normaly the domain of law enforcement officers, coroners, and the like. Does Teedle Town have a police force in the sense our modern world has? If so, will everyone have the same opportunities to get involved in the story, even civilians?

Ah yeah, I'll put as clear an explanation that I can manage in the Notes section for you and others to refer to. Generally speaking, magic realism attempts to present a reality in which the "magic" is very much part of the character's every day lives and informs how they do things and the way they think about things. So an example of magic realism in this story is the existence of Wont. Everyone's got one and everyone has to attend to it as a factor of life.

As for investigating the murders, there is law enforcement in Teedle Town but that doesn't mean that civilians cannot take things into their own hands. Not going to say that the police would encourage such activity, but people get curious.

LookingGlass

to the back burners with this one I guess.

la dame en noir

Don't give up so quickly! Just let it mule for a while, day time doesn't seem to be the busiest anyway.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Ceralilly

DOn't give up! Give it time to get noticed! I saw it! That means others will too. I will ask around and see about interest. I am all full right now or I would ABSOLUTELY jump in. If you get stuck, feel free to PM me and we can brainstorm. I find that helps a lot.
I am the Mistress of Hearts, the Consort of Broken Ones, the Lover of Lost Souls, and the Queen of Goodbyes

Lux12

I've never really done anything with magical realism before. I've also been dying to play something of a mystery style story. I think it might be a good idea to explain the concept of a wont a bit more.

LookingGlass

Alrighty, I'll hold the fort. Thanks for those who gave me a bit of a morale boost. I've given a bit more explanation of Wont in the Notes. I hope that helps.

Ceralilly

Glad to hear you are keeping on with it!

So to clarify:

My Best Interpretation LOL
The young woman knocked away furiously at the locked shop's door, as the creature next her continued to yowl and grunt.It was a mere 4 AM, and Edgar the spider monkey, was entering the more frantic stage of his baleful demise. It had been three whole days since she had indulged in a decent shopping trip, only pausing here and there to tide her poor boy over with the occasional trinket. Edgar had had enough, and as was his nature he grew; becoming less and less controllable by the second. The Wont was now triple his normal size, now looking more like a medium sized ape than the spider monkey he once was, she new it wouldn't be long before,

BANG! BANG! BANG! He broke the glass to the large display window and stormed through the shattering and crunching mess.

"Damn. it."

After she had taken his fill, stuffing clothing and shoes into large and small Prada bags of her favorite variety, she grabbed a Inkvine quill from her purse and from the smooth, dark sap scrawled her sordid apology to the elderly shop owner, Mr. Winters. She knew he would be ok with this...everyone was always so understanding, which is why it was so hard to do such things....but her Wont...Edgar lay curled into an exhausted little ball, snoring peacefully, and kicking in his dream...

Well he what got what he wanted.

SO I guess where I was going with the magical element is that it isn't so much a cast and spell type of theme, but more of a fantastical environment with tools and everyday items that WE would consider "Magical".

Also Sorry about the lack of editing quality, but I am just beat LOL
I am the Mistress of Hearts, the Consort of Broken Ones, the Lover of Lost Souls, and the Queen of Goodbyes

LookingGlass

Quote from: Ceralilly on April 27, 2015, 06:34:23 PM
Glad to hear you are keeping on with it!

So to clarify:

My Best Interpretation LOL
The young woman knocked away furiously at the locked shop's door, as the creature next her continued to yowl and grunt.It was a mere 4 AM, and Edgar the spider monkey, was entering the more frantic stage of his baleful demise. It had been three whole days since she had indulged in a decent shopping trip, only pausing here and there to tide her poor boy over with the occasional trinket. Edgar had had enough, and as was his nature he grew; becoming less and less controllable by the second. The Wont was now triple his normal size, now looking more like a medium sized ape than the spider monkey he once was, she new it wouldn't be long before,

BANG! BANG! BANG! He broke the glass to the large display window and stormed through the shattering and crunching mess.

"Damn. it."

After she had taken his fill, stuffing clothing and shoes into large and small Prada bags of her favorite variety, she grabbed a Inkvine quill from her purse and from the smooth, dark sap scrawled her sordid apology to the elderly shop owner, Mr. Winters. She knew he would be ok with this...everyone was always so understanding, which is why it was so hard to do such things....but her Wont...Edgar lay curled into an exhausted little ball, snoring peacefully, and kicking in his dream...

Well he what got what he wanted.

SO I guess where I was going with the magical element is that it isn't so much a cast and spell type of theme, but more of a fantastical environment with tools and everyday items that WE would consider "Magical".

Also Sorry about the lack of editing quality, but I am just beat LOL

Yup, you've got part of the idea. The important thing to take away is that anything and everything "magical", is just part of the day to day and nothing out of the ordinary. You've got a good idea of how a Wont could turn to act out if not attended to properly. Thanks for taking the time to write that up :)

LookingGlass

Ixy

I'm certainly interested as well. I am going to work on a concept today.

Updated:

Name: Claire

Appearance: Claire's a striking, petite young woman with strawberry-blonde hair and dark, flashing blue eyes that always seem dialated, even in full light.  She dresses comfortably most days, mixing antique print-dresses, thigh-high socks, tasteful scarves and silver jewelry.  Under her dress, cardigan, coat, or whatnot, she is svelt, youthful, and pale.

Wont: "Madame Noir"
... an inky shadow, Madame Noir is thrilled by sordid tales, dark histories, and exotic new things.  When she travels, it's in Claire's own shadows.  She lingers under the shade of a long-brimmed hat, clings to the dripping pools of dark from a long skirt, winks brightly from glittering sequins on a saturnine dress. 

When she does slink out, it can be as a two-dimensional form to watch and caress others' skin, or-- if she's particularly hungry-- she may appear as a young woman in any matter of old-fashioned dress and style... but always the height of some era's fashion, all in greys and blacks and smoke-trailing eyes.  The hungrier she is, the more cruel-- and the more sadistic her demands.

Satisfying your Wont: She demands solitude-- not to be made a spectacle except in small settings-- and she demands constant turnover.  This makes an interesting predicament to appease her... it's a small town, after all, so Claire has to be on constant lookout for things that prick at Madame Noir's fancy. 

Appeasing her is more of a pursuit than a simple routine. Her appetites are far more complex than most Wonts, and more gradual in their increase, but there is no way to simply "prepare" to sate her... like sneaking a treat, jilling off, or starting a fire.  It might be to acquire an antique, to engage in a performance, to seduce a person of standing.

Most times, she seeks relics - items tied to great emotion, crimes of passion, indiscretions, or personal vices.  She can connect with the past through items connected to highly emotional or passionate moments-- dark and light.  These things grow stale, though, so just being around antiques is not enough; she needs exotic things, if not valuable in material then rich in history.  And, as simple recall can be meager or weak, sometimes she requires such acts to be performed live.

Background: Claire inherited her shop-- "Relics of the Road"-- from her mother, who transfered titles and adequate finances to her hands on her eighteenth birthday.  Claire suspects that Madame Noir is tied to the shop, and that it's her duty to, one day, pass along the same duty to another daughter.  She still lives upstairs and occupies herself with simple business, seeking stock from antique dealers and historians, listening to records, reading books, and entertaining Madame.