What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on June 25, 2012, 10:07:38 AM
Yeah, I've kind of lost all faith in Spider-Man games. It's so simple to get right, but everyone always does it wrong.
Is it, Inki? IS IT? @_@

Sabby

Eh, the Web Rush thing does look awesome, but it's sacrificing control for spectacle.

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on June 25, 2012, 10:10:03 AM
Is it, Inki? IS IT? @_@
It is, refine the Spider-Man 2/Ultimate web swinging , throw in an Arkham style/Shattered Dimensions combat mechanic and it doesn't matter if the rest of it sucks, people will play it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118074-Resident-Evil-Restaurant-Comig-Soon

Apparently there's going to be a Resident Evil Themed Restaurant opening soon in Japan.

I just..I have no words to describe how awesome this sounds.

Also, reading the article..apparently there is a Capcom Bar that serves themed food and deserts already, themed after Capcom characters.

Damn it, Japan! STOP BEING AWESOME!

Sabby

Honestly, what Spiderman needs in the combat department is to scratch this flashy beat 'em up style and try to emulate the look and feel of the films. They've perfectly nailed that in the web swinging here. Web Rush looks EXACTLY like the trailer bait scenes in the Spiderman movies. But when it comes to combat, it's still these ridiculous multi-hit combos with massive amounts of webbing flying everywhere and single enemies taking a dozen hits each.

It'd be much better off if it focused on quickly and effectively disabling criminals. Web yank a gun from someone's hand, trip him up, bat a guys knife attack away and web him to a wall, then kick the last guy to wrap around a fire escape and fall into a dumpster.

What we get now is this awkward combination of Arkham City, Streets of Rage and God of War. It just doesn't work.

And to Wolfy, is it really worth it? Starting and running an establishment just so you can hear people order a Jill Sandwich every day?

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on June 25, 2012, 11:50:13 AM
Honestly, what Spiderman needs in the combat department is to scratch this flashy beat 'em up style and try to emulate the look and feel of the films. They've perfectly nailed that in the web swinging here. Web Rush looks EXACTLY like the trailer bait scenes in the Spiderman movies. But when it comes to combat, it's still these ridiculous multi-hit combos with massive amounts of webbing flying everywhere and single enemies taking a dozen hits each.

It'd be much better off if it focused on quickly and effectively disabling criminals. Web yank a gun from someone's hand, trip him up, bat a guys knife attack away and web him to a wall, then kick the last guy to wrap around a fire escape and fall into a dumpster.

What we get now is this awkward combination of Arkham City, Streets of Rage and God of War. It just doesn't work.

And to Wolfy, is it really worth it? Starting and running an establishment just so you can hear people order a Jill Sandwich every day?
I think a tweaked Arkham system would work. A lot more focus on take downs and agility mixed with an unorthodox style of fighting. You wouldn't need as many gadgets but like quickfire stuff would work well.

Web yank, web blinding, web trip. That kind of stuff.

Oh, and I'm definitely keeping my eyes on foreign stories for the worker who goes nuts and chops the place up. "It was funny the first half a dozen times, but enough's enough! Banzai!"
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Quote from: Wolfy on June 25, 2012, 11:46:50 AM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118074-Resident-Evil-Restaurant-Comig-Soon

Apparently there's going to be a Resident Evil Themed Restaurant opening soon in Japan.

A restaurant, based off of a horror game that included infectious zombies.  Oh yes, I'll put that right on the top of my list of 'Good Eats'. *turns green*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Dovel

Quote from: Oniya on June 25, 2012, 02:56:56 PM
A restaurant, based off of a horror game that included infectious zombies.  Oh yes, I'll put that right on the top of my list of 'Good Eats'. *turns green*

-grins- Doesn't sound too appetizing does it?

For gaming, lately I have been playing SWTOR & DDO. A friend gave me a trial key for Diablo 3 and I had a beta key for last weekends The Secret World. Swtor & DDO have large RP communities so they are fun to play.
Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

Sabby

I take back what I said about Spidermans combat. It's actually pretty decent, once you shrug off the Arkham muscle memory. That was my problem, apparently, playing it like it was Arkham City. Really, your supposed to be a lot more mobile then that, and once you start getting in the bigger fights, with more enemy types, you're having to constantly freeze the game to pick out a target or escape danger. So yeah, Web Rush once again takes over, but it doesn't feel like it's tearing control from you hear, it's actually really helpful!

You're either going to feel like it's tactical or just ruins the pacing though, but I've managed to get around a 60x combo, unbroken, seamlessly going from ranged enemies up on scaffolds, to back onto the ground, to a multi-web, to a multi swing-a-guy-like-a-giant-mace-into-10-of-his-friends, and all while countering Batman style.

Sabby

Heaven Sent Blossom

I'll probably wait for news from review sources with more pedigree, however that sounds incredibly promising and is certainly a nice surprise if it's all true.

Brandon

Quote from: Sabby on June 26, 2012, 03:05:10 PM
Spec Ops: The Line Review - Lawrence Sonntag

o.o Wow... I am very surprised at this!

Sounds interesting. The closest I think a game ever touchd on Horrors of war themes was the WW2 themed Valkyrie chronicles. Although that game also had a lot of light hearted animesque antics with it so it could get scyzophrentic. If this takes a more real approach toward the truth of war and combat it may be the first modern military shooter story I can enjoy
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

SinXAzgard21

I just acquired new vegas and all its dlc so I'm playing that along with still dabbling in LoL.

I haven't touched D3, WoW, and SWtOR months.  Don't think I'm ever gonna touch them again.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Bayushi

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on June 27, 2012, 02:27:56 AMI haven't touched D3, WoW, ... months.  Don't think I'm ever gonna touch them again.
You'll be back.

Oh yes, you'll be back! They always come back!

Muahahahahahahaaaa!

Sabby

Welp, the extended cut for Mass Effect is out. Ya know how Shepherd was blatantly Space Jesus? And they even went as far as calling him "The Shepard" in future generations, like a real religious figure from history? Wellll.......

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
If you take the Extended Control ending, Shepherd doesn't become God. He creates God in his own image and then goes on to GUIDE that God for all eternity

I am not fucking kidding. This is... wow xD I don't know how to respond to something like this, but outright hate or approval just don't seem to do it! It's like Bioware looked at Goku, Superman, and every other fictional character that had been ascended to Saviour levels and said "PFFT! Step aside boys, this is how it's done"

Nadir

I'm playing MineZ, a DayZ mod for minecraft and it's effing epic

Brandon

Im not a big TF2 fan, in fact I quit playing it a long time ago (I think around the time Bad company 2 came out) but this still made me chuckle

Meet the Pyro

Also I finished Lonesome road in new vegas and Im not sure what i was expecting from Ulysses but it wasnt that. I know they made him out as cryptic and hard to understand which made getting what his problem was with the courier all the harder but I still dont feel like I understand his problem and why

he was willing to fire nuclear missiles on the entire Mojave all for what I inadvertantly did (also not of the players action). Its like one of those games where every cutscene starts a big fight and then it switches you over to playable mode like it expects you to get it out of trouble.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

I've been playing ... the Sims 3. Yes, yes. I know.

I didn't know how much fun this game could be. My current Sim is a bigshot author in ... Bridgeport? I think that's like the Sims version of LA. Celebrities all over, that sort of thing. But, of course, playing a perfect Sim in every way is no fun. This guy's life is one train wreck after another. Affairs, parties, fights... it's awesome!

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on June 28, 2012, 05:27:43 PM
I've been playing ... the Sims 3. Yes, yes. I know.

I didn't know how much fun this game could be. My current Sim is a bigshot author in ... Bridgeport? I think that's like the Sims version of LA. Celebrities all over, that sort of thing. But, of course, playing a perfect Sim in every way is no fun. This guy's life is one train wreck after another. Affairs, parties, fights... it's awesome!
Ah, Sims. The only game where you neglect work, food, bathrooms, pets, and relationships familial and romantic so you can work, feed, use the bathroom, care for pets, and have familial and romantic relationships... virtually!

I like the author thing too, I think it's all little weird it takes you so long to be able to write fantasy and sci-fi, but hey. Authoring is the easiest way to get tons of money. In my sims heyday he was bringing in 10K a week.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on June 29, 2012, 07:18:22 AM
Ah, Sims. The only game where you neglect work, food, bathrooms, pets, and relationships familial and romantic so you can work, feed, use the bathroom, care for pets, and have familial and romantic relationships... virtually!

I like the author thing too, I think it's all little weird it takes you so long to be able to write fantasy and sci-fi, but hey. Authoring is the easiest way to get tons of money. In my sims heyday he was bringing in 10K a week.

My most successful author was pulling in over 20k a week. ;D However, it's probably the most time-consuming profession, too. You don't have a set schedule, so it's easier to balance their other needs, but mine usually end up working well into the small hours.

Inkidu

Got Syndicate in my rentals today. It's not bad. I get that it's not a tactical RTS, but meh, as far as shooters go it mixes a good balance between fun and tactics. It rewards good shots with special abilities. Really slick. Too much bloom, but eh.

Sabby

Oh Skyrim... why do you play with me like this? >.<

A few months back, I started getting random CTDs (crash to desktop) I tried every solution out there, nothing helped. I put it away for a while. A week ago, I came back to it, and I went the whole 9 yards. I restored my PC to factory settings, I did a clean reinstall of Skyrim, I verified the files, I updated my drivers and my framework, I installed each mod one by one, checking each for issues. I was thorough as FUCK. I boot it up, and...

It crashes at the Bethesda logo. I look it up. Apparently, I was too thorough, and some of my mods were too up to date, with the updates being unstable. So I roll a few back, try again.

It crashes when I make a female character. I look it up. My hair mod is too recent and installed wrong. I roll it back and install right.

It runs perfectly for an hour. I get outside of Helgen. Wow this is great. It's so beautiful with ENG mod on! SkyrimRedone is so much more expanded and balanced then the old perks and skills! OMG! A TRICERATOPS! =D I'm in heaven!

I come back tomorrow, I'm getting framerates like a power point presentation. It's unplayable. I look it up.

I uninstall my Nvidia Drivers, use a driver sweeper tool to completely erase all the leftover files, then install the newest Driver first in Safe Mode.

It works! IT WORKS! YES! IT FINALLY WORKS! I CAN PLAY SKYRIM AGAIN!!! =D First thing I wanna do is go to-...

Crash...

To....

DESKTOP!!!! >:

MAW! Dx I just spent months of work in a fucking circle, right back to the CTD. FUCK FUCKER FUCK!

Brandon

Sabby rule 1 is you update the core game before you add any mods.

On a similar note, Im playing Skyrim. Specifically I started the dawnguard DLC with my Imperial (the one that I couldnt finish the civil war with). So far I have mixed feelings about it. Now Im not going to pretend that I know much about ES lore but this DLC makes vampirism seem like such a minor thing.

Ive been attacked by vampires in broad daylight, and my vampire companion can exist in broad daylight without penalty, apparantly vampires can hang out in areas for centuries without a need for blood, vampires can swim through running water (a river) fine. I just dont get it, so many vampire rules have been broken so far they dont seem like vampires. I mean the whole story revolves around

blocking out the sun so vampires dont have to suffer from its "tyranny" anymore

but as far as I can tell sunlight doesnt really do anything to them.

Although the coolest thing in the DLC thus far is crossbows. I really like them, so much so that I think Ill be remaking my Argonian archer and have him use crossbows full time

Wolfy

Quote from: Brandon on July 03, 2012, 02:43:31 AM
Sabby rule 1 is you update the core game before you add any mods.

On a similar note, Im playing Skyrim. Specifically I started the dawnguard DLC with my Imperial (the one that I couldnt finish the civil war with). So far I have mixed feelings about it. Now Im not going to pretend that I know much about ES lore but this DLC makes vampirism seem like such a minor thing.

Ive been attacked by vampires in broad daylight, and my vampire companion can exist in broad daylight without penalty, apparantly vampires can hang out in areas for centuries without a need for blood, vampires can swim through running water (a river) fine. I just dont get it, so many vampire rules have been broken so far they dont seem like vampires. I mean the whole story revolves around

blocking out the sun so vampires dont have to suffer from its "tyranny" anymore

but as far as I can tell sunlight doesnt really do anything to them.

Although the coolest thing in the DLC thus far is crossbows. I really like them, so much so that I think Ill be remaking my Argonian archer and have him use crossbows full time

Hey, it could be worse.

........They could sparkle.

Brandon

I dont know, maybe Im just to old fashioned. I look at Bram stokers Dracula and thats what I think for vampires. Thats what I expect for stories surrounding vampires. I can handle some deviation like Vampire the masquerade but when a story portrays vampires as godly predators with no weaknesses I just kind of roll my eyes. Thats how dawnguard is shaping up so far. Maybe it changes, maybe things get explained in a way that make sense, but so far Im pretty disappointed from a vampire centric story not seeming very vampirey