The War Tower at Belleron (D&D Social Game)

Started by PhantomPistoleer, December 04, 2013, 02:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

She could certainly work. ^^ You wouldn't even have to change her backstory if you didn't want to.  You could just say that she was born on some alternate material plane and wound up in Eberron somehow.  Though, if you want to have a decent number of levels in Divine Oracle at ECL 10, I'd recommend picking one of the two arcane caster choices for your racial casting, and put the levels in Cleric and Divine Oracle together on the other side of the gestalt progression.

Kimera

*nods*

I was thinking of going sorcerer for the driders casting, since her charisma in her old version is her second best stat.

With the gestalt, she would have 10HD, does this affect her sorcerous spellcasting progression?

Kunoichi

Hmm.  Under normal circumstances, I would say that that would probably be a little too overpowered to allow to see play...  However, this isn't a normal game.  Phantom's already said to not worry about whether or not something is overpowered, so I say go for it. ^^

In fact, in that case, you could probably just use your innate casting for Cleric spellcasting anyway, and take an arcane class for your other side.  You could take levels as a Wizard and use the Spontaneous Divination ACF from Complete Champion to get access to any divination spell in the game through your Wizard spell slots, for example, which would be great for an oracle like Arachne.  Plus, you'd still be able to qualify for Divine Oracle like that, since five levels of Wizard could easily satisfy the necessary skill requirements. ;D And Divine Oracle can be used to progress Wizard casting, too, so you won't lose out on spell levels on either side.

And since the fifth level of Divine Oracle doesn't have much in the way of class features, you could take some other arcane casting prestige class for that last level to get some other nice abilities, too.

Edit: For example, Arcane Devotee from the Player's Guide to Faerun would both fit your character concept and give you a really nice ability, and it would be very easy to work into your build.

Kimera

Well I'll see what Phantom has to say about that.

If allowed though, the arcane devotee would be a nice addition. Divine disciple might also work as a lvl 1 dip for an extra bonus domain

Kunoichi

That would certainly work if you used Cleric for your class levels. ^^ In that case, you'd probably be better off taking Sorcerer for your innate casting, since you won't be getting any other class features to go along with it.

Wizards do have some pretty good alternate class features spread around various books, though.  You could specialize as a Diviner, for example, ban Evocation, and trade in your familiar for a nice class feature that adds several small benefits all at once, including Sense Motive as a class skill.  Or there are other benefits you could get from specializing in alternate schools of magic, as well.

Though, alternately, levels in Cleric would get you Rebuke Undead, and thus access to Divine Metamagic...  Either way, I think you'd be able to get your character to a point where you'd be really happy with how she worked mechanically. ;D

Kimera

I think so too :)

Edit: How do you calculate the saves between the two classes in gestalt (best of the two at the end of the 10 levels)

Edit2: Too bad this isn't lvl 12 gestalt, a succubus//sorcerer would be so mean

Kunoichi

Your Drider hit dice are Aberration hit dice, which only have good Will saves.  Clerics, Wizards, and the various prestige classes you'll be taking will all have good Will saves and potentially other good saves, as well, so I'd say you can just calculate your saves normally and ignore the Drider half of your progression. ^^

Personally, one Eberron game I'd love to play in would be a level 20 gestalt game based around being high-ranking members of the Lords of Dust.  That seems like it could be a really fun campaign. ;D

Kimera

Thanks

And indeed, a Lords of Dust game would be awesome

Kunoichi

...So, Phantom, got an official answer to Kimera's question? ^^; It's the one he asked in his first post on this page.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Kimera on December 12, 2013, 02:27:29 AM
*nods*

I was thinking of going sorcerer for the driders casting, since her charisma in her old version is her second best stat.

With the gestalt, she would have 10HD, does this affect her sorcerous spellcasting progression?

I am not really sure.  I am not familiar with the race. 

My answer would be... Depends.  If she has sorcerer levels on the opposite side of the gestalt, yes.  If the sorcerer levels are wholly dependent on the race, then the level wholly depends on one -- and only one -- side of the gestalt.  That being the race.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Kimera

I'll just go with the simple version and stick with 6th lvl sorcerer casting from drider and 10th lvl divine from cleric/prestige class

EroticFantasyAuthor

What's the final verdict on the system being used? 3.5 or Pathfinder?

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on December 12, 2013, 08:21:09 PM
What's the final verdict on the system being used? 3.5 or Pathfinder?

I think that we are going to use 3.5.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Kunoichi

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on December 12, 2013, 03:41:50 PM
I am not really sure.  I am not familiar with the race. 

My answer would be... Depends.  If she has sorcerer levels on the opposite side of the gestalt, yes.  If the sorcerer levels are wholly dependent on the race, then the level wholly depends on one -- and only one -- side of the gestalt.  That being the race.

The basic Drider race gets six levels of racial spellcasting from the player's choice of either Wizard, Sorcerer, or Cleric casting.  What Kimera was asking about, however, was the Savage Species monster class for the Drider, which specifically states that 'The Drider casts spells as a character of its Hit Dice'.

The basic intent is pretty clear, since the Drider monster class gets six hit dice and regular Driders have those six levels of casting, but the actual wording is vague enough to allow other interpretations.  I kind of took advantage of similar vague wording while building Kulzu, mostly for the purpose of determining the save DCs on her poison sting. ^^;

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 12, 2013, 08:49:28 PM
The basic Drider race gets six levels of racial spellcasting from the player's choice of either Wizard, Sorcerer, or Cleric casting.  What Kimera was asking about, however, was the Savage Species monster class for the Drider, which specifically states that 'The Drider casts spells as a character of its Hit Dice'.

The basic intent is pretty clear, since the Drider monster class gets six hit dice and regular Driders have those six levels of casting, but the actual wording is vague enough to allow other interpretations.  I kind of took advantage of similar vague wording while building Kulzu, mostly for the purpose of determining the save DCs on her poison sting. ^^;

Ha ha ha ha.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Kunoichi

...I am willing to change my character sheet if that wasn't okay. >>;

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 12, 2013, 09:03:23 PM
...I am willing to change my character sheet if that wasn't okay. >>;

It makes very little difference, actually.  ::eyes sternly::
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Kunoichi

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 12, 2013, 09:19:20 PM
So does that mean I'm in trouble? :-\

Yes, and I look forward to punishing you!  ;)
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Kunoichi

Alright, but that punishment will probably have to take place over PMs, given the rules on E. :P

EroticFantasyAuthor

Oh and what exactly is the Book of Carnal Desires mentioned in the character generation info?

Also, even though we are using 3.5, would it be possible to take some things from Pathfinder? Such as feats every other level and most importantly, the consolidated skill list.

Kunoichi

Hmm.  I wouldn't mind either of those, myself, if Phantom wanted to implement them.  Everybody loves extra feats, and I could do some amazing things with a Pathfinder-style consolidated skill list...

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 13, 2013, 01:17:04 AM
Hmm.  I wouldn't mind either of those, myself, if Phantom wanted to implement them.  Everybody loves extra feats, and I could do some amazing things with a Pathfinder-style consolidated skill list...

A feat every other level?  Okay.

Consolidated skill set?  Okay.  But retain the 3.5 rules for it.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

EroticFantasyAuthor

Thank you!  ;D

As for the skill list it's just combined skills, Hide and Move Silently become Stealth, while Listen, Search and Spot become Perception, etc.

Edit: Oh and for easy of use with character sheet like Mythweavers and such, just put the same skill ranks into both Hide and Move Silently as if they were one for example, or would you prefer that we edit the skill list?

Kunoichi

Hide and Move Silently become Stealth, Listen, Search and Spot are Perception, Speak Language, Decipher Script and Forgery are folded together into Linguistics, Diplomacy has Gather Information incorporated into it, Disable Device gets Open Lock added on...

I think that's about it, as far as which skills are consolidated together.  There were also a few other skills that got folded into other mechanics in the Pathfinder system, but we can just keep them as regular skills for this game, and it shouldn't be too much trouble. ^^

Incidentally, Kulzu is now a master forger who speaks every language listed under the Speak Language skill in the 3.5 SRD. :P