Tweets from Sochi

Started by Torch, February 05, 2014, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torch

Now granted, this was from the New York Post website, so take them with a grain of salt. But the general sentiment seems to be these Olympic Games are a clusterfuck in the making.

Sochi hotel conditions not exactly five star

It’s like they’re back in the U.S.S.R. — athletes and fans staying in Sochi for the Winter Olympics say hotels are so shabby and bare-bones, they could pass for shanties from the Stalin era.

Hotel sinks spit toxic yellow water, toilets barely flush and half-built hotel lobbies have lured mangy packs of stray dogs, say visitors frustrated by cold and cramped conditions.           

“My hotel has no water. If restored, the front desk says, “do not use on your face because it contains something very dangerous,” tweeted visitor Stacy St. Clair, along with a photo of the eerie glowing liquid.

“Went to buy water … got accosted by 3-legged dog,” another visitor griped.

Three out of nine hotels in Sochi’s “mountain complex,” where many media members are staying , are only partly built — some dirty with shoddy electricity and no heat, the sports blog Deadspin.com reports.

Players on Canada’s hockey team were even forced to sleep, shoulder to shoulder, on hotel beds so narrow they could pass for a prison inmate’s.

Vladimir Putin spent seven years and $51 billion to prepare for the world renowned winter games — but many of the hotels were scrambling to get their acts together just three days before the games begin, visitors said.

In some cases, tired construction workers were spotted sleeping on-site at half-built hotels — and even the plumbing wasn’t up to par, visitors griped.

“Please do not flush toilet paper… Put it in the bin provided,” bathroom signs proclaim.

Guests, including reporters covering the games, took to Twitter to gripe about third-world accommodations.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Callie Del Noire

Sounds like the Russians will be taking it on the chin.

I wonder how many oligarchs skimmed the building profits?

Shjade

"half-built hotel lobbies have lured mangy packs of stray dogs"

...wow.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

consortium11

Just to pick up on one point:

Quote“Please do not flush toilet paper… Put it in the bin provided,” bathroom signs proclaim.

This isn't entirely unusual; off the top of my head parts of Greece (Corfu for example) tend to have similar issues.

Not to say that the entire thing isn't a shambles...

Neysha

I wonder if they could flush toilets in an Athens hotel around the summer of 2004 or so.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Oniya

It's not that you can't flush the toilets - it's that the sewer/septic system isn't built to handle the paper.  (Or the TP isn't the type to break down as quickly as even the industrial-grade stuff in school bathrooms here.)  It's like you can't flush wet-wipes or paper towels in the States without risking a clog.

That said, the running water and the sleeping accommodations should have been up to some degree of 'taken care of', considering that the Sochi Olympics have been in the works for how many years now? That's one of the reasons that the locations are picked so far in advance, isn't it?  To give the hosting country time to get the infrastructure ready to handle all the visiting athletes, dignitaries, and media.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

kylie

Yeah, much of the world doesn't put toilet paper down the toilet pipes actually.  There are some funny assumptions going around, when "Third World conditions" seem to cover very many places apart from the US.  (And I'm not sure about Canada, hee.)

I'm thinking environmental and building (both plumbing and more extra comforts to aesthetic) standards are also something more specific to the US.  Granted I have generally been either a student or a budget traveler.  But my general understanding is that many parts of the world put the emphasis on keeping people somewhat "neat," and buildings merely (more or less) functional background. 

Even among "mid-range" hotels, it's somewhat common to have buildings with a fancier "face" and less in the way of what Americans consider normal infrastructure:  The lobby is nicer and maybe you get some nicer looking old furniture in the room (in more expensive places)...  If you're lucky, they have soft bedding and some serious pillows.  Yet things like truly hot, power showers are more of a luxury.  By now I'm more surprised if you get a great shower, and I don't mind as much if the bed is old, small or lumpy.  (In some countries, often eating meat is a luxury for half the population, sooo yeah you get a short bed big deal...)

Even some US cities are not really that great for tap water...   But you have to watch that a little more in oil towns around Asia, I'm finding.

Neysha

I demand more outrage from you people.

How are the athletes supposed to have an Olympic level orgy like in Vancouver without first class accommodations as are typically provided.
My Request Thread
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Kythia

Eh, I find that sub par accommodation really adds to the ambience of an orgy.  It's all very well licking some stranger in a penthouse suite but you never feely really degraded unless you're on a cheap stained mattress with damp on the walls.

Or at least that's what I read somewhere.

Shjade

Undrinkable glowing water might be a step too far toward that authentic grunge feel though, Kythia. ;p
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Driskoll

After reading this thread I stumbled upon a news story that kind of relates. It really has more to do with the corruption surrounding Sochi than the shabby hotels, but I thought some here may find it interesting. I apologize in advance if it's too off topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_MBOeqSYVk

kylie

Quote from: Shjade on February 06, 2014, 06:26:42 PM
Undrinkable glowing water might be a step too far toward that authentic grunge feel though, Kythia. ;p

Glowing?  Or perhaps I should ask what goggles you're wearing to view the glow...  I know a fine, otherwise very fashionable little city where on some scattered days after pipe work, the bathroom sink "spurts" back on in little blasts.  And what comes out for the first few minutes is quite seriously as much oil as water.  I mean splashes of black and bubbly, viscous ooze.  If it's glowing, I can't make it out with the naked eye.  Not beyond some reflection off the inky bubbles on my sink, anyway. 

And then?  We clean it up for a few minutes.  Many now have separate pipes for kitchen versus bathroom.  A good few people whose building layouts were amenable, had half their pipes redone at considerable expense to route in water from a safer source.  Some use the pricey Western hotel gym showers instead...  But mostly, life goes on.  Though I doubt many people would think about drinking from those taps, unless that's their particular fetish.   :P

Oniya

Quote from: Torch on February 05, 2014, 12:11:45 PM
“My hotel has no water. If restored, the front desk says, “do not use on your face because it contains something very dangerous,” tweeted visitor Stacy St. Clair, along with a photo of the eerie glowing liquid.

Apparently, nothing more sophisticated than an ordinary camera lens.

The ability to drink from the bathroom tap may be one thing, but I kind of expect to be able to wash my face in the bathroom.  It's difficult to wash one's hair while keeping one's face completely dry as well.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Yeah but given the fact that Putin pretty much has bought and paid for his position, short of a massive architectural disaster (like that skill jump sliding down the hill in mid completion) I don't see anything coming of it in Russia.

Of course the NEXT time they try to do an Olympics...I'm sure the comitte will be reminded ENDLESSLY about it.

Zakharra

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on February 07, 2014, 01:58:26 PM
Yeah but given the fact that Putin pretty much has bought and paid for his position, short of a massive architectural disaster (like that skill jump sliding down the hill in mid completion) I don't see anything coming of it in Russia.

Of course the NEXT time they try to do an Olympics...I'm sure the comitte will be reminded ENDLESSLY about it.

I just had a mental image of how the history will be written that the Russian Winter Olympics of 2014 will be remembered (in the official history books in Russia) as one of the best since the Soviet days;

Journalist: "Well, the games are over and thank God it's over! The accommodations were bad and the infrastructure in bad shape. Aside from the athletic events, I'll say this has been one of the worst Oylim-" the journalist is interrupted by a group of tall broad men in sunglasses and wearing winter greatcoats.

Goon 1: "You giving report on Olympics, yes? It was good. One of the best on record. So says Russian government."

Journalist: "Uum.. no. it was pretty bad in a lot of areas. I felt like I was living in a gulag."

Goon 1: "No. You are mistaken. This was one of the best Olympics ever."

Journalist: "No. It wasn't.." His voice trails off as several men move to stand very close behind him.

Goon 1: "It was one of best on record, yes?"

Journalist: "Aaaahh." Shifts nervously. "No. It wa-" Two large hands settle on his shoulders and two objects poke him in the back, pistol barrels.

Goon 1: "Repeat after me. 'The Olympics was one of the best on record.' This is the word of the Russian government. It was good. There were no problems at Sochi. Everything went fine as good caviar."

Journalist: swallowing hard, he repeats it.

Goon 1: "Good. Now repeat it again."

Journalist:  "But it's a lie! It was not one of the better ones."

Goon 1:  gestures with a finger and the two goons behind the journalist thumb back the hammers with a noticeable click. "'The Olympics was one of the best on record.' This is the word of the Russian government. It was good. There were no problems at Sochi. Everything went fine as good caviar." The man's eyes narrow slightly. "This is the truth as we say it is. Those who do not believe will be made to believe." Lifts a hard ham like fist under the reporter's nose.

Journalist: swallows hard and nods. "OK. Ok."

No offense to anyone, that's just the first thing that popped into my mind when I say Callie's post.

Blythe

Not being able to flush one's toilet paper down the toilet, to me, is not really a very pressing matter. There's a bin to put it in, so that's not really a problem. But being unable to use the tap water on one's face/skin? That's.....pretty rough to contemplate, particularly when the money spent to prepare Russia for the Olympics has topped $51 billion. Basic necessities like water and fully-constructed accommodations should have been a major priority.  :-\

Mistyy

I watched the opening ceremony and it was hands down one of the best I have ever seen.  I really loved how it began with the cyrillic alphabets and portraying the achievements of the nation. The timeline approach was really well done, even the part telling about the bolshevik revolution and the soviet union was well thought. These kind of things have always appealed to me and this one was really breathtaking. Honestly I am glad that Russia got these games, the history of the country is very interesting and gave a good base for the show.

Iniquitous

I'll say the opening ceremonies were nice. I'm still saying Russia effed up though since 51 billion has been spent over the past seven years and hotels were not completed, roads were either pot hole runs or muddy trenches, some hotels have no lobbies, no heat, rooms not ready, unable to use the water from the faucets, shoddy electric.

All the screw ups will be remembered and I'll bet Russia has a hell of a hard time ever getting another Olympics hosted there.

Meanwhile...this cracked me up.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Neysha

This cracks me up:

Well at least you can't get locked out of your bathroom.
My Request Thread

Nico

Quote from: Neysha on February 08, 2014, 11:12:46 AM
This cracks me up:

Well at least you can't get locked out of your bathroom.
Wasn't this from a US athlete that got locked in the bathroom? I think I read that earlier.

Neysha

Quote from: Nicholas on February 08, 2014, 11:46:27 AM
Wasn't this from a US athlete that got locked in the bathroom? I think I read that earlier.

A bobsledder.

Of course with bobsledders, everything is like cardboard to them. :p
My Request Thread

TheGlyphstone

I was amused by this, but I guess the rest of the opening ceremony was okay?

Iniquitous

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 09, 2014, 06:52:26 PM
I was amused by this, but I guess the rest of the opening ceremony was okay?

Apparently someone fell when they came out but other than that it appeared to go off nicely. Of course the tweets over the circle not coming up with the rest has been tweeted about relentlessly with many many jokes about it being to afraid to "come out". And it was made into a tee shirt before the opening ceremonies were even done.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

JackWhite

Lots of posts mentioned that it was the American ring that wasn't opening too.