Started by Zeitgeist, November 15, 2011, 07:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beguile's Mistress

Again no scat.
What do you tell the cat?
This thread is a hoot.
Okay.  Gotta scoot.

Story Tale

*snickers* I wish my English teacher had made these sort of non requests.

Oniya

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on November 18, 2011, 09:10:31 PM
Again no scat.
What do you tell the cat?
This thread is a hoot.
Okay.  Gotta scoot.

And in clerihew, no less.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

*laughs*  I learned about it in high school but wasn't thinking (consciously) of the form when I wrote it.  Thanks for noticing.

Izzie Aditi

Language question for you from a non-native speaker. I keep hearing Americans say *whole entire* like "whole entire time/body etc". If I did that in my native tongue, it would be a tautology (I sure as hell hope I translated that correctly). Is whole entire (the same in my book) an exception of some kind or merely used together to stress and emphasize the "wholeness"? Or are the people saying that (I hear it all the time on tv) just failing dramatically?
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Caeli

It's just slang. I'd guess that it's to emphasize "entire" rather than whole, though.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

GothicFires

*whole entire* is redundant, repeating the same thing twice. It's an example of bad grammar that one gets used to as they grow up and find it difficult to change. I've never used the words 'whole entire' in my whole entire life (oops) but I say things like 'i'm going to fix dinner' well dinner was never broken as it didn't exist to be broken. It should be 'I'm going to make dinner' but I never say it correctly even though I cringe when the word fix comes out of my mouth.  :-[
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Story Tale

In New Orleans they have some very cute grammatical errors, one of my favorites might be that they say when someone is going to the grocery store to buy groceries, they are going to "go make groceries." Don't ask me how you make groceries but in New Orleans, that's what you do.

Zeitgeist

Quote from: GothicFires on November 19, 2011, 06:50:58 AM
*whole entire* is redundant, repeating the same thing twice. It's an example of bad grammar that one gets used to as they grow up and find it difficult to change. I've never used the words 'whole entire' in my whole entire life (oops) but I say things like 'i'm going to fix dinner' well dinner was never broken as it didn't exist to be broken. It should be 'I'm going to make dinner' but I never say it correctly even though I cringe when the word fix comes out of my mouth.  :-[

That's the problem with learning a language. You don't truly learn it until you've been immersed into it for a suitable period of time.

Haibane

Shouldn't it be "personified by his worshippers..."? Since it is the worshippers who are doing the personification.

Also, must dash, I can feel another great vowel shift coming on...!

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Haibane on November 19, 2011, 09:13:32 AM
Shouldn't it be "personified by his worshippers..."? Since it is the worshippers who are doing the personification.

Also, must dash, I can feel another great vowel shift coming on...!

You're probably right. Could perhaps go either way. Incidentally worshipers can be spelled with one 'p' or two, either is correct.

I decided to dispense with 'personified' altogether in favor of a more straight forward sentence.

The priestess let slip the raiment from her shoulders and laid bare her breasts before the light of the moon. Nanna, he was know as, with his many faces and the one man she would submit to.

Ty

To reference the earlier subject of the thread, for some reason I like the idea of a lady 'disclosing' her breast, if the moon or it's light are being anthropomorphized.

Haibane

It would seem that "worshipped" is the English spelling but "worshiped" is the U.S. English spelling. They're not interchangable (like colour and color). Another American spelling I wasn't aware of. New thing learned for today!

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Haibane on November 19, 2011, 10:41:36 AM
It would seem that "worshipped" is the English spelling but "worshiped" is the U.S. English spelling. They're not interchangable (like colour and color). Another American spelling I wasn't aware of. New thing learned for today!

How is it they are not interchangeable? The certainly mean the same thing. One would only want to be consistent of course.

Haibane

I meant if you're a United States national, writing a piece to be published in America, its one 'p'. If you're British and writing a piece to be published in Britain you use two.

In the same way that being British and writing the Queen's English, 'color' is a wrong spelling, while in the USA it's correct.

Oreo

I find myself using both variations of English, American and British. The colour comes in handy when I want a more formal sounding character.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin