The DC Universe Online Thread

Started by AllieCat, January 12, 2011, 11:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shjade

Quote from: Hemingway on January 23, 2011, 08:57:00 PM
Also, your argument doesn't make sense, because the game does have gun-toting enemies, and bullets aren't fatal by any stretch of the imagination. No, I don't expect them to be, either, but I would like it better if I felt like my power level was consistent. That's all I'm saying.
It is consistent (with the exception of the robot durability, maybe): mooks aren't known for being marksmen. You can get winged quite a few times without it slowing you down much.

But yeah, ultimately it's just a game mechanics thing. Lyell puts it in story terms pretty well.

Also, I'm not sure why you'd find upping the damage while keeping health levels the same an improvement. That means you'd get KO'd by mooks faster, too. How would that be any different from struggling with them the way you do now, in terms of your heroism?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Arandrocles

I am just getting to play on a friends account but I have had a blast in the character creation so far. So much so I have not actually created a character. Sure, I have imagined plenty of things that are not options (15ft prehensile hair blades) but it still has been a lot of fun. We create a character and my bud and I make up their story. Then start all over again! lol Anyone else having that much fun with char creation?

Yorubi

Not much of a gamer but... admitting... I loved the character customization in Champions online... an inner geek that I have that really I don't even go about pleasing that much haha. Either way It did look interesting but I've heard its lack luster. Its not likely I would pay for it seeing how I don't play any pay to play games really myself (well honestly very few to begin with but thats another story). The biggest sell I have is the joker is in it (I don't know why I like crazy characters but I do ^^;; ) otherwise I don't really know about it. I probably would just wait for champions to go free then to maybe waste some of my Christmas money on this for a month and possibly not play it again.  I'm a sucker for customization and I just probably wouldn't be to happy with it to be worth spending $ on it.

Hemingway

Quote from: Shjade on January 24, 2011, 03:48:51 PM
Also, I'm not sure why you'd find upping the damage while keeping health levels the same an improvement. That means you'd get KO'd by mooks faster, too. How would that be any different from struggling with them the way you do now, in terms of your heroism?

It would be different, because I'm not "struggling", I'm finding it tedious. I think a faster pace would improve it a lot.

That said, at least my newest character, who goes around swinging a big ass hammer, can pretty consistently kill enemies using just one combo. Which is really slow, but at least it feels genuinely powerful.

Cold Heritage

This is free to play now. I've been doing so since Saturday-ish and I had a good time with it. It's pretty simplistic, and I'm kind of let down by only four power types, but eh. The thing though is that it's getting a lot of traffic from free to play, so earlier in the day I was ~5500 in queue to login. Then a couple times I had to leave the game because the game borked itself, so I had to queue again, and then, I got stuck on the post-queue loading screen.

But in-game it was pretty fun wailing on baddies. It's neat going from ALWAYS BRIGHT, ALWAYS SHINY Metropolis to ALWAYS GRIMDARK Gotham.

Flight also seems like the only way to move. I haven't tried super-speed yet, but acrobatics is kind of not enthusing me.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Sabby

There's more then four powers o.o I haven't tried flying yet, because there's a two character limit and I really don't wanna delete one of mine to make a new one...

This is my psychotic flaming whirlwind of growling death, Cutcut =3

And here he is, sporting a pair of axes... and not sure if he's completely digging Chop Chop, judging by his expression.

But then, he finds something he really likes! Cheeta.

After a long night of growling into her bum...

Awww yeah... now to head back and... w-wait... is that... Tali?

>__> ...she's next...

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Zaer Darkwail

Oh, nice! But question; if you made lots of chars during the free month period and had one them reach max level, what happens if you apply F2P to it? Or can it apply at all for it?

RubySlippers

How bad is the download I wanted to try Age of Conana for free and it was a HUGE download, Champions Online took 18 hours doing it on and off so this has me concerned with the far richer graphics and the like. Is it worth it to buy the retail box set I suspect its alot cheaper now to play this for free?

HairyHeretic

No idea, but I expect there are FAQs on the site would tell you.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Sabby

It was 14 gigabytes for me, which isn't that bad. It was done overnight.

Zaer Darkwail

Ahaa, FAQs said those who were on monthly subscrition (or bought the box really) are automatically on premium account rest of their lives.

Capone

I gave it a try free-to-play, but there were some difficulties. Considering the sudden flux of new players, I'm considering waiting until Skyrim comes out, or the 15th (also known as the day every gamer became homeless because they spent money on games instead of bills).

I have a friend that's inexperienced in MMO's, so he's been quite biased in favor of the game. I tend to shy away from the genre, with the exception of Planetside. I think the games industry is desperate to make me change, because with DC Universe being free to play, Planetside 2 free to play and the new MechWarrior free to play, well, crap.

According to my pal, as you progress through the game you can find new outfits that permanently add to your customization options. He claims that the item is then available for any character you create later. So if one character finds the Mask of Never-ending Awesome, you can customize its appearance to another starting character. I cannot confirm this, though I do know I wasn't satisfied with my first character creation.

I have a second in mind, but I'm not sure if I'm going to try and queue in today.

I think something worth noting is this game's primary development platform was definitely PS3. I don't want to get into a PC vs. Console argument (partly because I'm Console side, and thus I tend to feel like I'm indirectly called an idiot whenever such arguments arise), but many of the flaws in the PC version may be a result of the development team giving it a secondary priority. That's my guess, at least.

Zaer Darkwail

I agree the game suits more console as I got PC and had severe problem to initiate normal chat mode when I needed it most (and no, I was not cyphering, just asking for team up for missions and such).

Also yes, you can discover outfit pieces which become permament part of char's gallery but I never got outfits to new chars I created as I do indeed need collect all of them from scrap. But considering the mentors you get different outfit earn routes and lower level missions so replay value is there (and also experiment with powers).

SinXAzgard21

I downloaded the full DCUO in about 2-3 hours.  I like the game, it is a nice break from WoW and I find it really entertaining.  Main issue is logging on, the sever is always filled up or the pop is always high so you run a big chance of being d'ced.  Other than that I like it so I'm probably going to subscribe to it so I can have the extra shit along with being able to get the expansions.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Shjade

Decided to try out DCUO mostly to see how its character creation holds up. Answer: ehh, not so well. Not terrible, but not as flexible as I'd like.

And then the world servers all crashed before I even finished trying to set colors. -.-
◕/◕'s

Sabby

Yeah, you see your own options, and then you get in the game and see people whose bodies are made of SPACE with robotic laser wings and massive horned helmets. Don't worry, ya didn't miss anything, when you get new loot, and put it on, you always get the stats and bonuses that come with it, but you can choose whether or not to have it show on your body, which is frankly a Godsend, when you consider a super heroes friggen identity is their costume. It takes the worry out of getting new items, and your appearance will only change when you want it to.

Capone

Yeah, I created a new sort of character, though I had to do a bit of a compromise. If you want a more lanky character, you HAVE to choose the "Spark" build...which always looks like some sort of baby-faced child.

That's okay. That's what the gas mask is meant to cover up.

I was disappointed that color customization still relied on a three-color palette. I wanted to have more options, but, well, DCUO isn't having any of that.

And then the servers required maintenance.

Yep, I'll be waiting a while before I finally get around to playing this game.

Shjade

Quote from: Sabby on November 07, 2011, 05:37:44 PM
Yeah, you see your own options, and then you get in the game and see people whose bodies are made of SPACE with robotic laser wings and massive horned helmets.
Made of space with robotic laser wings that are still one of three colors determined by a limited palate on a body with proportions you cannot change at all.

I know you get more costume parts later. The costume parts weren't what felt limited to me.

Already uninstalled when my second created character couldn't enter the game because it just stayed on the loading screen forever.
◕/◕'s

fancyfictions

I've been wanting to play the game but haven't been able to connect to the server since it cut me off in the middle of character creation. I'm thinking I might need to do a reinstall of the software or something to fit that little glitch.
Fancy's Fancies|

“Fiction is life with the dull bits left out”- Clive James

Capone

It might not be a glitch. It happened to me once when I first had it, using the PS3. It was right before servers went down for maintenance, and they're down for maintenance again today.

Basically, Sony didn't realize how many people were going to be jumping on board once it went free.

fancyfictions

Thank you Capone. Maybe I just keep trying when they have their maintenance periods. I'll just try again another time. I play City of Villains currently but wanted to try this one because I have friends who played it on PS3 and told me they really liked it.
Fancy's Fancies|

“Fiction is life with the dull bits left out”- Clive James

Cold Heritage

It's pretty common for people to get cut off in character generation or to get stuck in a loading screen.

Quote from: Sabby on November 07, 2011, 03:18:43 AM
There's more then four powers

There's fire, ice, magic, and gadgets, right? Or did I forget one?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Zaer Darkwail

There is Nature (which is kind of jack of all trades type) and Mentalist (lots nice tricks like turn to look like a NPC to backstab people).

Sabby

Fire, Ice, Nature, Sorcery, Mental, and Gadgets, each with two fields.