The Realms Beyond [Open Recruitment] Sandbox - LGBTQIA+ & ENM Included

Started by Wistful Dream, February 26, 2024, 06:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wistful Dream

As the year 2023 unfolds across the Realms, the Dreaming of all darkens with the unknown poised on the edge of darkness. The Voidborn have grown increasingly bold since they rampaged through Flameheart, now stalking humans and fae alike in places they had previously never been seen. Tensions increase as the new Summer King remains in seclusion to heal from his wounds, as fragile new bonds are created between Shimmer and Atlantis in winter, as the Spring Queen is distracted with her new Prince consort, and Autumn seeks the answers scholarship might supply.

Things are shifting, changing, the Voidborn behaving in new, horrific ways. And rumors have begun of a cult, dedicated to the Aberrations and seeking to destroy fae strongholds in the mortal realm.

Dreams may darken, but there is still light...

Welcome to the Realms!

The Realms Beyond is a modern fantasy sand box group game full of fantastical stories, both light and dark. We've been going for nearing two years now and still have so much more story to tell and room for more voices in the story. Our core group of writers is diverse, accepting and supportive, crafting beautiful stories together that span thousands of years (got to love history threads).

Our approach to story telling is very much what you make it.

~ Want to jump into a social scene and mingle with people, there's seasonal events that change up regularly.
~ Looking for more action? We have small group scenes focused on plot heavy events, run by both players and GMs.
~ Just want to write solos in a modern fantasy world, that's okay too!

There's room for everyone in the Realms, as we've intentionally built this space to be very accommodating and adaptable to players needs and preferences. The game is set in the time period of seasons (Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter), and each season has a four month period to write in, plus a 'limbo' month where either the next season can be written or scenes from the prior can be wrapped up.

Culturally the fae are very progressive about orientations, gender identities, ethical non monogamy. For them a driving thrust of all the Courts is the importance of consent, so even though the game is set in Extreme to cover for violence, some extreme kinks and magic, rape is not permitted on screen and is viciously punished if it occurs off screen. All sexualities are welcomed, and there's established ethical non-monogamy(ENM)/polyamory. See our World Info thread for a deeper break down on the Guidelines of Play.

For those curious about the run of the game thus far in plot arcs the Tome is fantastic reading.

What vibe is Realms?

The game is noble bright for the most part, but that doesn't mean all the characters need to follow that. It's a canvas to tell any number of stories, and there's a wealth of lore to dive into for those who enjoy a good bit of world building. For those who want to approach it more casually just read up on the World Info thread cultural notes or reference the codex to look up specific things as they come up.

The faerie Realms themselves are high fantasy, full of stunning landscapes and impossible sights. The mortal world is similar to what you might see in a lot of paranormal shows, like Charmed, Lost Girl, etc, fae are hidden from humans but magic can sometimes be glimpsed. 

Have additional questions? Check here first!
Is there an age limit on characters?

Not a hard one, fae are treated as young for longer than mortals are, and have long plateaus of emotional development. So age would be tied to what you want the character to do, though we will be more selective on approvals for ancient characters.

How does IC time pass?

For this game it's divided up into seasons, and you can play the whole season out in the span of four months Out of Character, and then we have a month given over to a Conjunction Period to permit writers to either wrap up prior season scenes or start new season scenes.

I have an idea that doesn't fit exactly with one of the races outlined, what can I do?

Several of the categories give plenty of wiggle room, so please try to think of way they might. I limited the game to twelve options because it is easier to balance that way. If you have something you are really wanting to accomplish please reach out to the me with your idea.

As a note, gods in this game would be ancient powerful fae, there are no actual gods, no angels or demons, though there are certainly fae that humans labeled as such in the past.

With rare fae, how does that work?

One rare fae per player, per five characters. If a writer choses to make a dragon, that is their rare slot filled. The rare races have an extra magic boost permitted, so think on what sort of magic you are wanting to play before selecting. You can split your rare up, either into even halves or spread out in smaller bloodline lineages. 

How long does the approval process take?

Once you submit your character to all Regents, by PM, a post in this thread or however you get it to us we will aim to respond to you within 24 hours if it is your first character submission. All subsequent submissions for additional characters are subject to 7 days potential timeframe. We also will typically only be approving new player characters on weekends. 

What happens to beings in the Realms that die? Do the dead ever return?

In this setting, once a being has slipped beyond the veil of life, they are considered beyond reach by all but the most dramatic and potent of magics. The faerie protect the realms and value life so fiercely, in part, because once it is gone it cannot be retrieved. To recall a lost life would take the concentrated desire of the regents in unison, and even then come at a cost to them - such actions are rarely deemed feasible. Undead character concepts do not fit in this game.

I really want to play a special role! How do I get it?

For new players, I encourage looking at starting with a more basic role to settle into the world setting and ensure you fully understand it prior to applying for an important role. Sometimes I will approach players to offer specific roles I think a character might fit well for. Other times the Regents will consider applications for a special role, though approval is dependent on the leader of that Court of course.

In regards to leadership roles of any kind (the generals of the Sunburst, leader of a major faction, etc), we are looking for highly engaged players. That means -

✦ Active in the Discord or Out of Character thread (this is key to help that player plan with the others in that faction and work with Regents)
✦ Versed in the lore - able to answer questions about what is already out there and expand on it in a chat with the Regents
✦ Open to feedback, as these roles will require more close work with Regents
✦ Participated in at least one group scene, either informal or GM run

When can I get a specific location thread?

Home threads are given to players who have made at least 25 IC posts, you just have to contact the GMs requesting it by either PM or the private chat channels on the Discord.

For a location thread, like a cafe, store, club, etc, the location must have 50 posts in order to be given it's own thread. Once it had reached 50 posts in a general thread (say Winter General, or the Bay Area, tagging that location) reach out to the GMs and we will split the previous posts into the new location.

For a playable character you may create the following -

✦ A full blooded faerie, from the list of species listed out below.
✦ A mixed faerie, of two courts/species.
✦ A half faerie, or half blood, this only for fae/human mixed.

✦ A human, utterly unaware of the fae.
✦ A seer who can view the fae but lives in the mortal realms (they may have a poor opinion of the fae).
✦ One of the humans who live within the faerie. They may have been brought there within their lifetime or have been born there to human parents sheltered by the fae.

If playing a character that has largely existed within the fae realms please keep in mind that they have very few taboos around gender, sex, or relationships. Polyamory is common. Gender being fluid is common. Being attracted to any gender is common. Nudity is common depending on Court, and not always sexual. If you are aiming to play a character that is not open to those things your best bet is a human, but we will not be accepting any characters who display intense bigotry. Distrust of the fae or unease is one thing, but a Neo Nazi is not welcome.

Character Sheet Format

CHARACTER NAME
COURT AFFILIATION

Age | Age Appears:
Birthday:
Gender Identity:
Sexual Orientation:
BDSM Identity: Top/Switch/Bottom - can put N/A
Species: If not listed in Species please confirm with GMs

Faceclaim: (human form)
Hair & Eye Color:
Height:
Body Build: (lean, curvy, muscled, etc)
Special Features: (tattoos, piercings, horns, wings, etc)

Personality: List at least seven defining traits. example: Bright | Playful | Curious | Passionate | Loyal | Stubborn | Vain

History: At least three paragraphs.

DISLIKES

TALENTS

INEPTITUDES

DELETE THIS SECTION IF NO POWERS

Abilities:
✦ ABILITY - (Bloodline) - (description here)
✦ ABILITY - (Court) - (description here)
✦ ABILITY - (Lived Experience) - (description here)

Environment Boost: (cold, heat, forest, water, etc)

Environment Weakness:

Please note (R) for receiving, (G) for giving, (B) for both. Delete this line prior to submitting profile.

Ons

To Explore

Offs

[float=right][img height=300 padding=20]https://i.imgur.com/CmmuUkZ.png[/img]
[center][img height=100 padding=5]https://i.imgur.com/CmmuUkZ.png[/img][img height=100 padding=5]https://i.imgur.com/CmmuUkZ.png[/img][img height=100 padding=5]https://i.imgur.com/CmmuUkZ.png[/img][/center][/float][center][font=times new roman][size=18pt]CHARACTER NAME[/size]
[size=14pt]COURT AFFILIATION[/size][/font][/center]

[font=times new roman][size=10pt][b]Age | Age Appears:[/b]
[b]Birthday:[/b]
[b]Gender Identity:[/b]
[b]Sexual Orientation:[/b]
[b]BDSM Identity:[/b] [i]Top/Switch/Bottom[/i] - can put N/A
[b]Species:[/b] [i]If not listed in Species please confirm with GMs[/i]
[b]Occupation:[/b]

[b]Faceclaim:[/b] (human form)
[b]Hair & Eye Color:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Body Build:[/b] (lean, curvy, muscled, etc)
[b]Special Features:[/b] (tattoos, piercings, horns, wings, etc)

[/size][/font]

[hr]

[font=times new roman][size=10pt][b]Personality:[/b] List at least seven defining traits. [i]example: Bright | Playful | Curious | Passionate | Loyal | Stubborn | Vain[/i]

[b]History:[/b] At least three paragraphs.

[/size][/font]

[center][table][tr][td][/td]

[td]  [/td]

[td]  [/td]

[td]  [/td]

[td][center][font=times new roman][size=14pt][i][b]LIKES[/b][/i][/size][/font][/center]
[hr]
[font=times new roman][size=10pt]

[/size][/font]
[/td]

[td]        [/td]

[td]        [/td]
[td][center][font=times new roman][size=14pt][i][b]DISLIKES[/b][/i][/size][/font][/center]
[hr]

[/size][/font][/td]

[td]            [/td]

[td]            [/td]

[td][center][font=times new roman][size=14pt][i][b]TALENTS[/b][/i][/size][/font][/center]
[hr]

[/size][/font]
[/td]

[td]            [/td]

[td]            [/td]

[td][center][font=times new roman][size=14pt][i][b]INEPTITUDES[/b][/i][/size][/font][/center]
[hr]

[/size][/font]
[/td][/tr][/table][/center]
[hr]

[center][font=times new roman][size=14pt][b]DELETE THIS SECTION IF NO POWERS[/b][/size][/font][/center]

[font=times new roman][size=10pt][b]Abilities:[/b]
✦ ABILITY - (Bloodline) - (description here)
✦ ABILITY - (Court) - (description here)
✦ ABILITY - (Lived Experience) - (description here)

[b]Environment Boost:[/b] (cold, heat, forest, water, etc)

[b]Environment Weakness:[/b]
[/size][/font]

[hr]

[center][font=times new roman][size=12pt][i]Please note (R) for receiving, (G) for giving, (B) for both. Delete this line prior to submitting profile.[/i][/size][/font][/center]

[center][table][tr][td][/td]

[td]  [/td]

[td]  [/td]

[td]  [/td]

[td][center][font=times new roman][size=14pt][i][b]Ons[/b][/i][/size][/font][/center]
[hr]

[/size][/font]
[/td]

[td]        [/td]

[td]        [/td]
[td][center][font=times new roman][size=14pt][i][b]To Explore[/b][/i][/size][/font][/center]
[hr]

[/size][/font][/td]

[td]            [/td]

[td]            [/td]

[td][center][font=times new roman][size=14pt][i][b]Offs[/b][/i][/size][/font][/center]
[hr]

[/size][/font]
[/td][/tr][/table][/center]

*Please click the name of each race to be taken to the World Anvil article about them; this will include inherent abilities and cultural notes.

Common Fae - All Courts
TYPE        DETAILS        AFFLIATION        TYPE        DETAILS        AFFLIATION   

Nature Fae

Including but not limited to water, air, earth and fire nymphs; dryads bound to their trees and nereids to their waves; satyr’s & fauns who are a blend of nature and beast, etc. This would also cover minotaurs, centaurs and other blended beast and human types.

These are often fae attached to an aspect of nature, a grove of trees, a lake, a field of flowers, or those that guard the more vulnerable types of spirits. They can be any gender, there can be female satyr's, and male dryads. 
        Any, often chosen for what aspect of nature they are bound to.         Merrow/Merfolk

Not to be confused with Sirens, these are fae who often live in the water themselves, though they take many forms from the sleek mermaids of popular culture, to selkies and roans, and every other blend of aquatic and humanoid imaginable. Their voices are not enchanted, another distinction from sirens.         Any       

Goblins

A catch all term often used to describe the more physically different forms of fae, for this includes brownies, orcs, spider fae, red caps, giants, snake fae, oni, cyclops, and so much more. The distinction here is that 'goblin' type fae are typically far more physically powerful than magically, and they don't tend to wield magic, but rather simply are part of the magic of the fae.        Any        Shapeshifters

Humans have many names they use for these animal tied fae, kistune, tanku, yokai, werewolf, pouka, are just common examples.

Like with the Nature Fae, Shapeshifters are scattered through all the Courts, choosing their alignments. A kitsune would be more likely to choose Autumn, while a werewolf might favor Summer.
        Any       

Common Fae - Specific Courts
TYPE        DETAILS        AFFLIATION        TYPE        DETAILS        AFFLIATION   

Demifae

The majority of demifae are creatures closely tied to life magic and creation. Many of them are small creatures, pixies, the faeries of Victorian picture books, are the most common of this species of fae. There is some variation, and while most range from four inches to a foot tall there are full sized ones (typically from mating with a larger fae) and even a rare few who can change their size. They are skilled with plant husbandry, healing and wild life.        Spring Court        Daimons

Humans have many names for these type of fae, vampire, succubus, incubus, and more. They are not demons, as there is no Heaven or Hell the way that humans think of it. Rather they are beings that feed off quintessence; some do this by drinking blood, others by feeding off energy or inspiration. They do not typically kill those they feed from, and they are some of the most alluring of all the fae, and the most comfortable in mortal places.

They also make superb warriors, not limited by sun or weakened by faith, as they typically have the ability to read the energy of opponents and use the awareness of the body in their fights.
        Summer Court   

Valkyrie

Air and storm fae, they are able to control the weather around them, often charged with cooling the earth from summer's heat towards winter's frost. They are fierce warriors, often part of the Royal Guard for Autumn. Valkyrie can be either gender, it is only that the females often caught human poet's attention in the past, and they follow a matriarchal clan style of rule.        Autumn Court        Sirens

Siren's are fae who can mesmerize with their voice and will, bound to water. There have been countless legends of them in every culture, creatures that might lure the unwary to the depths. The depths are not merely those of water, but also of the soul, of dreams, and the reason they can lure people so well is their innate connection with dreams. How they tempt is with what people yearn for most.         Winter Court       

Rare Fae - All Courts

Daoine Sidhe

Also called the High Fae. They are the most powerful of the fae, and were worshiped as gods in ancient times by humans, the majority of myths around pantheons were actually of this species attempting to safeguard humans from their own greed and the influence they have on wild magic, unknown to mortals.

Additional magic perk - Healing magic.
        Any        Phoenix

The original masters of transformation magic, they are a race known for always rising from the ashes, either literal or metaphorical. They are not only bound to fire, though that is the most common impression of them. There have been Phoenix's of all the elements, and they tend to appear when change is needed.

Additional magic perk - Transformation magic.
        Any   

Dragons

One of the most ancient types of fae, rumors say that they were made in the first breath of the world formed by the Creators, in time with Unicorns. The most powerful of dragons are able to shift into a human form, rather than rely on glamour, though many do not see a point. They are proud, fierce creatures, each born with white scales to mark they have yet to choose their element or path. Once they make the choice of alignment their bodies transform to reflect it.

Additional magic perk - Destructive magic.
        Any        Unicorns

Rumored to be made in the first breath of the world by the Creators, as were Dragons. They, like dragons, have a few among their number able to shift into human form, rather than relying on glamour. While it is rare for dragons to do so, these gentle hearted creatures often make the choice to better aid others. They too choose the elements they feel best aligns with their own hearts.

Additional magic perk - Creation magic.
        Any       

Details
All fae have certain basic powers.

✦ Glamour is one of the first, though this can range from merely being able to make oneself invisible to mortal eyes, invisible to all eyes (very rare and difficult). Additionally some can hide certain parts of their bodies, or assume a human twist of themselves. And others, particularly skilled are able to weave the glamour illusion so well they appear something else entirely. If a fae is using glamour and touches a human it normally isn’t registered.
✦ Heightened senses, though certain species of fae have different blessings all of them have more than human, and can often read or feel magic as well. This includes smell, touch, sight and hearing.
✦ Increased speed and strength, again, it can vary depending on species but all are a bit more than human.
✦ Accelerated healing is also a part of all fae, though healing is best done surrounded by natural things, and it is possible to kill a fae with certain weapons or in specific situations. Most fae never get sick, outside of allergies to man made things, pollution or cold iron.

Beyond this most fae have three types of magic.

✦ One that is defined by the people they come from.
✦ One that is defined by the Court they belong to.
✦ And one that has come to them by the life they have lived.

For example, a werewolf has the ability to scent magical essence (one power), tied to the Summer Court they could have the ability to not be burned by fire, and then to have developed another power based on practice/study, perhaps Psychometry to read the past of an object by touch and scent due to being an investigator.

On mixed fae -

If a fae is the child of a mixed race/Court pairing they may inherit their parents powers, but they will be slightly less than the full gift. This means that a firebird and mermaid could have a child who could wield both water and fire magic, rather than having an intolerance to one or the other. They will not however have the same strength of fire magic as their parent.

On part fae -

If a human and fae create a child they will have a magical ability, but it is typically reduced by half of the parent's strength. If the human has fae blood in their background that might change, but it is rare. Typically the half bloods get the standard powers of the Fae, and then one or two minor gifts beyond that. Half bloods are where the legends of witches, warlocks and such came from.

Details
Sometimes the character that sparks in your mind is a human, or perhaps a half fae, or a witch, seer or any other kind of human based character, someone who was born in the mortal realm and is unaware of all that lays in the realms beyond. We totally understand this, and want you to weave whatever story excites you most. There are a few things to keep in mind though, if you make a human sided character.

✦ Fae are hidden in this setting. Intentionally so, as humans have always responded well to them - think witch trials for one.
✦ Fae safeguard humanity to try and keep their dreams bright, to varying degrees of success, but they do not trust humans instantly. One part of the faerie code is even that without express permission they can not reveal faerie to those unaware.

These are In Character/Lore things though, and Out of Character the GMs aim to facilitate you playing the stories you are excited about. As such, we have created this overview to layout some key points for how to get your character into the faerie side of things.

If your character (human, witch/seer, half or full fae) is not currently bound to a Court, and was raised in the human realm - they must first gain permission from a Regent to be brought into the faerie. Regardless of their level of awareness about fae and magic this remains true. To gain permission seek out a Regent (GM) OOC [ideally we encourage this to be the ruler of the Court they are going to be tied to, but it's not strictly necessary] to confirm how this might happen prior to proceeding.

How long it takes for permission to be obtained in an IC sense will depend on what you and the GM flesh out; as stated above, we want to help you write the stories you are desiring, while staying within cannon lore.

Often new to faerie characters have other player characters as sponsors. We highly encourage this as it's a fun thing to write out. The sponsor character's player can be the one who reaches out to GM's to secure permission. Two characters can meet and decide to explore, but at least one full day should pass between meeting and entering faerie, to permit time for a Regent to grant approval (and to run a background check of course, no reporters or witch hunters are wanted after all). The granting of permission can be handwaved and does not need to be written out, but the IC time period of at least a day should be part of the narrative. If you want it to be an NPC that sponsor's your character just reach out to the GM that handles the Court you want to have your character discover.

Other options for exposure to the faerie for a human sided character include:
✦  Discovering powers by chance and having a faerie character assist with guidance. (The new fae/powered human would still need permission to go into the Realms, but they can talk about magic freely)
✦  Your character stumbles through a portal, most likely a wild one somewhere in nature or hidden in an old building or a park.
✦  Your character is drawn to one of the Court's mortal places of power, and is sensitive to the magic there.
✦  Your character is under threat and is taken through a portal into faerie to save them.
✦  and so much more!

Just run the narrative you want past the GM's in the private chats we have set up for each player, or PM all of us, so we can help you build the story you want within the IC rules of the setting.

Wistful Dream

Looking for some role ideas? There is a list below of what's still open. Roles for each Court that are particularly wanted are in RED

*For additional information on each court click the image header and you will be directed to a detailed write up.

Court Roles
High Healer of the Cradle of Dawn   
Head of Prism Academy   
Court Dreamweaver
Obsidian Blades - 2
Province Rulers

Standard Roles
Guards (Thorns)   
Creative Types -
dancers, actors, directors, singers, painters, Etc
Greenskeepers (Gardeners)   
Wildmages (animal tamers & keepers)

Mortal Realm
Workers for the Blossoming Heart   
Mortal Realm Guards

Court Roles
Advisers & Ministers   
Generals of the Sunburst Guard
(Army, Engineers, Logistics)
Province Rulers

Standard Roles
Warriors
Sunburst Guard, Training Masters, Etc
Embers
Balm Leadership
Healer from Spring, Training Master from Summer,
Illusionist from Autumn, Dreamweaver from Winter

Staff for the Coliseum of Heroes

Mortal Realm
Paradise Club Staff
Waitress/Waiters, Bouncers, DJs, Etc   
Mortal Realm Guards

Court Roles
Advisers & Ministers
Commander of the Gale
Obsidian Blades - 3
Province Rulers
Guild Leaders

Standard Roles
Professors at the University
Students at the University
Gale Warriors   
Ravens   
General Librarians & Scholars.
Inn Keeper of the Plentiful Horn

Mortal Realm
The Story Keeper Staff
Reports To Kostas.   
Well placed intel experts.   
Mortal Realm Guards

Court Roles
Advisers & Ministers 
High Priestess of Dreamweaving
Obsidian Blades - 2
Province Rulers

Standard Roles
Makers & Builders
Sculptors, Wood Carvers, Carpenters,
Weavers, Seamstresses, Etc

Guards & Warriors
Captain Of The Guard For The Midnight Palace,
Guards, Soldiers In The Frost Army

Nightmares
Festival Coordinators
Keeper of the Healing Pools

Mortal World
Staff of the Sakura Onsen.   
Mortal Realm Guards

Wistful Dream

From the Court of Joy to the Court of Passion, the power of Dreams has moved...

The radiance of Spring was honored well this season, perhaps in response to how dark things seemed at the cusp of Winter. What blossomed to life in the Dawn Court was the heart of joy itself as Springborn fae celebrated the new year in delight so outlandish it seemed perhaps defiance in the face of loss and doubt caused by the attack on Flameheart in early Winter. The season began with the Rites of Dawn, witnessed this year to some surprise when Lord Raum of the Blackwood joined his betrothed, the Queen of Spring to act as consort to her power in welcoming their season. Their love was on full display, and set poets and bards to composing, as well as a rush to seamstresses and tailors across the Realms to attend the Dance hosted mid season.

Work continued in Winter to repair that which had been lost, with Atlantis welcoming visitors for the first time in ages, and the Matriarch herself finding unexpected family in Eirwen, a child of Spring and Winter, Demifae and Dragon. What this connection might lead to few can truly speculate, little is known of the young fae, and Nasryn is infamously private. The Winter Court Healer, Finn, has taken up the study to attempt to heal the chaos magic infection, particularly the kraken, and rumor hints that he might be drawn to the Matriarch of Atlantis.

Summer continued to suffer attacks by the Voidborn, spread out to remote locations and intensifying the need for the Sunburst Guard's presence. In the absence of Horus as he heals from grievous wounds others among Summer vie for power in the Court, though Orius, one of the oldest of the advisers on the Council, has curtailed the worst abuses of potential power. He can't seem to foil entirely Xandain, a nephew to the now deceased Bellicus who uses charm and wit to bend others to his will.

The Dance of Blossoms was hosted in Lady's Blessing, with a larger crowd than has been in attendance for thousands of years to witness the newly Bonded Queen and her Prince Consort. Their joy is called the stuff of legend, performers and artisans of all kinds spinning stories of the unlikely romance between a daughter of joy and a lord of darkness. Many connections were made that night, and others broken, as so often happens at the great gatherings of the fae.

Vighneshvari has been noted to be distracted of late for those who visit the Blossoming Heart, though just why might have something to do with the trip she took to Winter Court in the company of a young Greenskeeper. For any potential distraction she also worked closely with several others, including the Queen herself, Morgyn and Noel of the Greenskeepers, and Sugarplum of Winter Court to move the deadly Bloodsbane to a remote mountain location where they could exist without threatening others, though they all still work to locate the flowers in the wild before they can harm others.

As Spring continued, rushing towards the heat of Summer, a disparate group of scholars, warriors and inventors dared a remote part of Summer's jungle to attempt to capture a Voidborn for study. The results were staggering, though many lives were lost in the battle pitched on that rain soaked night. A living Aberration now remains captive in the Pleasure Palace, on guard at all times in a room ringed with the brightest lights to ensure that even if the creature escapes it's cage and dares to move beyond the shadows it can not truly get free. How long they can keep the deadly beast no one truly knows, though it's capture is not widely known at this time.

Most troubling as preparations begin for the Great Challenge are the warnings of dreamlessness from the Dreamweavers, and reports among those in the mortal realm of Voidborn seemingly showing up more. But it is not only the Void that stalks the nights of humans, for a Cult of the Void has risen among humans, and these mortals intend to feed the 'dark' power with the aim to elevate themselves above the fae. Just how they can work with the Void without being instantly destroyed is yet to be known....

CHALLENGESThe heat of Summer has arrived at last, but with an injured, isolated King the Court of Passion now faces new challenges of leadership. The Sunburst Guard is hard pressed under all four armies to match the threat of the Voidborn who are progressively intensifying their attacks, particularly on more remote locations, no where more than in the Shifting Sands of the ruined mainland for the Summer Realm. They have little care for the political aspects, but others see opportunity for their own ambitions.

One such, a cousin of Bellicus, has put himself forward as a Lord Advisor to the Crown, carrying Horus' orders while the King recovers. Only, are these the King's commands, or the words of a man seeking to serve himself? In the Court of War and Flame it is a dangerous thing to play so sharp a game. Especially as the eyes of all fae turn towards them with the hosting of the Great Challenge.

Scenes focused on Summer's upheaval do not need to be brought to GM's unless you are wanting to take part of official Court activity in the palace. Options include:

♦ Low level officials tied to the new Lord Adviser manipulating things in their favor, this can be seen in shop keepers, Sunburst and more. (if you want a direct tie to the cunning Lord reach out to the mods/Swash)
♦ A Void attack anywhere in Summer realm, though they would favor thick isolated jungle or the ruined sands of the mainland, at night.

OBSERVATIONAs time turns Kieran spends more and more time in the mortal realm, hunting down elusive whispers of nightmares come to life and people vanishing. Fae have gone missing as well, though they could simply be wanting some time alone. Her Ravens flock to the Queen, carrying information while the scholars mull over the information gathered from the hard won capture of a Voidborn during the Spring.

Time spins on, and the only guarantee is change...

Autumn's focus is on handling information and piecing together seemingly random rumors, events and research to map out what to expect. Some focuses for Autumnborn fae could be:

♦ Overhearing rumors about people going missing and researching it. Outcomes could be varied, but if the Void was behind it reach out to the mods for more details.
♦ Ravens will notice a sharp untick in anxiety, paranoia and sleeplessness in those they observe.
♦ Responses to the Queen being less present.

DREAMLESSAs the power of the Dreaming rests in their opposite Court Winter fae are at their least powerful this season, yet their young King is striving to keep them unified and moving towards a brighter future. His focus on rebuilding the importance of Dreamweaving and hope for his people will mean it is startlingly obvious when the dreamweavers and seers start to have less sight, less dreams. Even the most skilled will have slumber or meditation devoid of glimpses past the present.

What it could mean is murmured about, providing new challenges to the King's rule that he must face. Some key scene notes could include:

♦ A dreamweaver or seer character could try to push past the null space, to see more, how do they deal with not being able to see the future, or sooth those who come to them worried about their lack of dreams?
♦ Human dreams have become progressively darker, but also disjointed, not nightmares, but not the soft dreams of magic either.

NUTUREThe Dreaming has passed from Spring, but it was used well while they held it, seeds of joy and love planted deep by their Queen and her court. Newly bonded, Darina seeks to pull others together, and is sending her people to other courts in order to support them. Healers to Summer and Winter, to support the dreamweavers and warriors, creative thinkers and joy bringers to Autumn to assist however they can, and Greenskeepers to all realms, even the mortal, Spring seeks to share their bounty.

Spring seeks to inspire and sooth, giving deeply however they can for the other Realms. Springborn are traveling to the other courts more than ever, though why is highly individual. Some potential Springborn plot notes might be:

♦ Greenskeepers or Wildmages going into places damaged by conflict or pollution to heal and stablize.
♦ Responses to the dangers the fae currently face, how they try to remain hopeful and upbeat regardless.   

PASSION

Summer is the time of fierce Passion, burning resolve and righteousness, a purity of intent that can burn lesser things to ash.

As the time moves into Summer fae are encouraged to explore the passions that drive them, how that gives them purpose that can help them move beyond challenges laid in front of them. Things seem more intense now, sharper, more dangerous, in a way they haven't for thousands of years.

If you have a particular danger in mind please feel free to brainstorm with the GMs.

MORTAL REALMS

Voidborn have started breaking through into the mortal realm, particularly in San Francisco, stalking vivid dreamers among humans in an attempt to sway the balance of dreams to nightmares it seems.

Any human character can have a scene facing the deadly risk with discussing with GMs to confirm the outcome of the encounter ahead of time.

Fae can, and are encouraged, to serve as protectors and rescuers for humans, either plotting with other player characters or NPC humans.

PLOT THEMES

♦ Tempers burning hot
♦ Ambition driving choices
♦ Uncertain times
♦ Rebuilding

SPECIAL EVENTS

The Great Challenge

Day of Light

shengami

I'll be reading. Tentative flag. I do not know if I have mental space for this. But... reasons draw me in.
Am I on the hunt for a story? - Not especially...
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

Wistful Dream

Quote from: shengami on February 26, 2024, 08:04:33 PMI'll be reading. Tentative flag. I do not know if I have mental space for this. But... reasons draw me in.

You would be very welcome. <3 No pressure at all of course.

Swashbuckler

Quote from: shengami on February 26, 2024, 08:04:33 PMI'll be reading. Tentative flag. I do not know if I have mental space for this. But... reasons draw me in.
Indeed! We are a very welcoming bunch, and can certainly help with taking it all in in bite-sized pieces

Andronica

Posting mostly because I cannot see Astarion without commending the excellent choice of avatar, @Swashbuckler 

But now that I'm out of my writing hiatus and I see the winter court's high priestess spot in red... I may ruminate on bringing Auris back in, if she's needed.

Wistful Dream

Wistful Dream

April starts our 'conjunction period' where the old season (Spring) is winding down and the new season (Summer) can start being written. More details are in this post of our Tome, which also provides a great snapshot of the big plot arcs in the game so far.

Wistful Dream

Next week we transition fully into the Summer season for Realms, making it the perfect time to dive in! This marks a full year written In Character by our amazing cast. The Realms have seen challenges in that time, with the Voidborn breaking through in new ways, but there's also been beautiful moments of joy, like a rush of a phoenix and valkyrie tangling with a storm dragon. 

We've updated and expanded our New Player Guide to make it a one stop resource for those just starting out. Special thanks to Deamonbane and Sofia Grace for providing feedback as they joined us.

For those curious about the passage of IC time the best resource will be our Tome which provides highlights of each season completed and key notes of the upcoming one.

We've also updated our Discord lobby with players now able to chat with applicants while they are working on profiles, this should make forming connections much easier for those coming in. If you would like to jump in and chat with our lovely community just click here.