Interest Check -The Enchanted Forest, through the mirror darkly.

Started by SidheLady, February 04, 2017, 09:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kythia

Can I put together a Jasmine dependent on Aladdin being absent with the understanding it'll be changed if anyone claims him?

BlueEyedBard

Quote from: SidheLady on February 08, 2017, 06:04:22 PM
*gives Hades the stamp of approval* Okay! Next!
Huzzah! And if anyone wanted a preexisting history with Hades I am open to any discussion!
"The ultimate in paranoia is not when everyone is against you but when everything is against you." P.K. Dick
Ad astra - but per hominum
On/Off

SidheLady

Quote from: Kythia on February 08, 2017, 06:11:16 PM
Can I put together a Jasmine dependent on Aladdin being absent with the understanding it'll be changed if anyone claims him?

Of course you can. But, would you explain -why- he's not here at the moment, which can change later if and when?
"Dream, not of what you are, but what you want to be" - Lotus (aka spacemom!), warframe

I have Discord, ask to contact me!

My Games including Sassy Space Vixens and the Gentry https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=253546.0

My general Ons and Offs (will be updated soonish whenever I remember and get around to it)
https://www.f-list.net/c/sidhelady/

Kythia

Quote from: SidheLady on February 08, 2017, 06:13:27 PM
Of course you can. But, would you explain -why- he's not here at the moment, which can change later if and when?

Yeah, that's part of the concept.  I'll write her up now so you have something concrete to decide about.  2 mins.

Urbanzorro

In that regard I'm more than willing to adapt my character's story/history to help out our prospective Tink. Just let me know what's needed.
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Kythia

Name: Sultana Jasmine
Tale:
I view this very much as "Jasmine's side of the story" rather than as an objective retelling of facts

It all started off so well.  Jafar was gone, Aladdin was her husband, her father approved.  Perfect.  Eventually, of course, he passed away and while that was sad, it wasn't unexpected.  In the traditionally minded Baghdad it was clear Aladdin would be the ruler, but that didn't matter.  She ruled by his side and they were in love.  At first.

Growing up on the streets - illiterate, innumerate, uneducated, did not make for a great ruler.  The land started to suffer as Aladdin made bad decision after bad decision and the delightful rough and tumble ways she had loved so much began to grow old as she constantly found herself making apologies for his poor table manners or lack of culture.  She was more intelligent, more able as a ruler, actually possessed royal blood - just more suitable all round, but he ruled and drove the land to famine and war through ineptitude.  Maybe he grew to hate her, she certainly grew to hate him.

No one is certain, or at least no one is saying, whether it was her who started administering the various liquids she found in Jafar's long deserted tower to him.  Maybe it was her, maybe one of her string of lovers.  Killing him would provoke a crisis but keeping him feeble, docile and asleep meant she could rule as she had been born to do.  Of course, there were things she had to do to regain and retain Baghdad's superiority.  The army had to be expanded to guard against the threats her imbecile husband had created and occasionally neighbours needed to be...pacified.  Her sorcerers and alchemists needed to experiment with dosages to make sure her husband was unwell but not dead, and sure some of the prisoners they practiced on died as a result.  His idiotic reforms had led to the commoners becoming uppity and so the guard needed to be strengthened.  But this was all necessary for the strength and security of the sultanate.  And there were rumours about her, of course there were:  she was close to her tiger and why shouldn't she be?  But not close in that way.

The fucking genie came back.  To visit his old friend.  That pathetic blue beast and her whining husband couldn't scrape together enough testicles to have her executed but she found herself banished from Baghdad.  HER Baghdad.  Well.  Now she seeks to gain the Queen's favour enough to raise an army and retake her home.

Looks:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

3 Main descriptors: Vengeful, Proud, Superior
Preferred weapon: Poison, Scimitar
Magic: Flying Carpet

SidheLady

"Dream, not of what you are, but what you want to be" - Lotus (aka spacemom!), warframe

My Games including Sassy Space Vixens and the Gentry https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=253546.0

My general Ons and Offs (will be updated soonish whenever I remember and get around to it)

BlueEyedBard

"The ultimate in paranoia is not when everyone is against you but when everything is against you." P.K. Dick
On/Off

TheGlyphstone

Indeed. Alright, let's do this.

Name: Jack "Giantsbane" Davies
Tale: Just a little more to the left...

In a slightly different world, Jack's story could have ended happily ever after. But that world would exist only in his dreams, for when he hewed away the beanstalk and caused that pursuing giant to plummet to its death, the brute's body landed square on top of his cottage and his beloved mother, wiping them both away in an instant. He was left only with his axe, the harp, the hen, and his fury at the whims of fate.

Without a home, Jack set out across the land to make a living with the one skill he had unquestionably mastered. He hunted and killed more giants. He hunted and killed other monsters. And when the pay was right, he hunted and killed men. The harp was lost, used as bait to distract a manticore. The hen and its eggs kept him fed until it died of old age, then gave him one last stringy chicken dinner. Even his fury eventually faded, as the years passed and he gradually came to realize that in slaying so many monsters, he had become a monster in himself, and he did not care. What he wanted now, was a legacy. He had been a hired killer for others long enough, but he'd never found a home to replace the one he lost. He deserved more than he had, but one man, no matter how strong and tireless, could not simply take a kingdom by force. He would have to win another way, and only the Snow Queen had the power to give him what he wanted.

Looks:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

3 Main Descriptors: Blunt, Brutal, Relentless
Preferred Weapon: Axe
Magic: None.

Kythia

SidheLady

Ky, I did have a thought after thinking it about it. You might want "alchemical brews" or Jaffar's staff as a form of magic?

BlueEyedBard

On/Off

CharlieSariel

Sorry I'm late to the party, but work sucks  :P

Here's my submission:
Name: Tinkerbell
Tale: She's never been able to talk, so actually admitting her feelings for the one she fell for was impossible, beyond her postures and gestures.  Alas, being so tiny, she was ignored.  A lot.  Over and over, pushed aside, left to be little more than an Extra, Tink was forced to watch as the object of her love was wooed by another, right in front of her!  She tried.  Oh did she try, but the damned lecher kept getting in the way.  Then there was the fight, and the crocodile, and she had hoped, but to no avail.  When the curse finally came, it hit Tink.  She could do it now!  There were no more rules, and she was done being just a little sidekick.  Brave new world, and all of that.  Well, she arranged things, in her faerie way, and soon enough the bastard was gone!  Grown Up!  HAH!  That meant Wendy could be hers!  Finally!  Only she had grown up too...
Now, Tink hangs out in the Red Queen's castle, looking for a new pretty to claim as her own.  Surely there's bound to be someone... eventually.
Looks: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/d6/7c/90/d67c908572f9040ea01c8714f8b518df.jpg
3 Main descriptors (single words you'd use to describe your characters strengths): Unobtrusive  Adorable  Patient
Prefered weapon:  Magic, of course, but she does have this neat little needle that she made into a sword.
Magic (if any):  She's a faerie.  She has all kinds of faerie magic, but her expertise lies in changing gravity... and granting wishes of a sort.

Current Posting Rate - Approximately 1 to 2 posts per week

Kythia

Quote from: SidheLady on February 09, 2017, 11:04:37 AM
Ky, I did have a thought after thinking it about it. You might want "alchemical brews" or Jaffar's staff as a form of magic?

The staff is a good idea, if it's cool I'll take that.  The potions I acually considered but decided against for a couple of reasons - (1) she was banished and her request that "hey, do you mind if I just gather up my poisons before I go" probably wasn't met (I'm assuming the fact that the staff is magic isn't common knowledge) and (2) I figured not having them made character interaction easier.  Some rare plant leaves are being transported by sea, guess I need to cosy up to Hook.  I need some Giant's Blood for this potion, man if only I knew a Giant slayer.  Tears of a god are needed for this brew?  Hey, Hades, come watch Toy Story 3 with me.  Etc.

Quote from: BlueEyedBard on February 09, 2017, 12:09:52 PM
Also, I think Jasmine should count Raja as a weapon  ;D

I kind of was.  Actually meant to record "3 metre 300 kilo killing machine" there but forgot when I got to that stage.

TheGlyphstone

I briefly considered splicing in the myths of Jack The Giant-Killer, where he has a whole bunch of magic items like a cloak of invisibility, boots of speed, and a 'cap of knowledge' in addition to his sword and enchanted belt, but decided to stick strictly with the Beanstalk variant instead. Jack The Giant-Killer is a classical trickster archetype who defeats his enemies with guile. Jack Giantsbane is smarter than he lets on, but still very much a direct-solutions problem solver. Shouldn't be too hard for the wilier members of the court to manipulate him, once they can figure out the right buttons to push.

SidheLady

Quote from: Kythia on February 09, 2017, 12:58:14 PM
The staff is a good idea, if it's cool I'll take that.  The potions I acually considered but decided against for a couple of reasons - (1) she was banished and her request that "hey, do you mind if I just gather up my poisons before I go" probably wasn't met (I'm assuming the fact that the staff is magic isn't common knowledge) and (2) I figured not having them made character interaction easier.  Some rare plant leaves are being transported by sea, guess I need to cosy up to Hook.  I need some Giant's Blood for this potion, man if only I knew a Giant slayer.  Tears of a god are needed for this brew?  Hey, Hades, come watch Toy Story 3 with me.  Etc.

I kind of was.  Actually meant to record "3 metre 300 kilo killing machine" there but forgot when I got to that stage.

Yep, definatly. And toy story 3....wow, I'm sure snow could use that as a torture device, if she put it on a 24 hour loop....

Bes

The Place Where {In}Sanity Lives

NAME: Alice Liddell

TALE: She stood on the lawn, mere yards from the flaming house, watching the bright orange-yellow flames dance and lick up the wooden structure that used to be her home. Her hands hung lifeless at her sides, tiny fingers curled around the arm of a shaggy looking stuffed white rabbit. She didn’t cry. Just watched. She didn’t even react when the fire brigade came, one of them scooping her up and carrying her away to be examined.

Everything began to fade to black. The trees bent and swirled, birds that weren’t birds nose-diving into pools of grass. Hatters and sugar cubes, cakes and singing flowers, drinks and smoking catepillars.

”I seem to have lost my muchness.” The young woman shifted and sat up in her cot. Something was… different. The walls were abuzz with whispers of stolen hearts and power overthrown. She stood, smoothing out her apron before stepping up to the door of her room at Rutledge. With a gentle touch and push, the door swung open. A single sentence slipped past her lips as she turns to grab her stuffed friend before exiting, lifting the toy to her lips to whisper in its ear. ”It’s Snowing, Rabbit.”

LOOKS: For as delicate a flower as she may look, the 5 foot 9 brunette is anything but. Gaze into her crystal blue eyes, set into the most porcelain of complexions, for too long and you might find yourself questioning your own sanity, let alone hers. There is a fierceness behind them – a fire that sparkles – but they are also filled with darkness. Her long, raven hair hangs stick straight to the middle of her back. Full lips seemingly permanently pulled into a malicious smirk beneath a button nose.

Her fashion sense seems a bit like a watered down Gothic Lolita. A simple yet form-fitting blue baby doll dress – the skirt of which is protected with a white apron, plain save the black symbols embroidered on the two pockets – over black and white striped tights with matching arm warmers, all poured into black leather boots complete with a dozen buckles between the pair.

3 MAIN DESCRIPTORS (single words you’d use to describe your character’s thoughts): Unbalanced. Clever. Fearless.

PREFERED WEAPON: Kitchen knife.

MAGIC (IF ANY):Can open doors.

A/A: Brain hasn't been working well lately. If I owe you words, I haven't forgotten. Just... working on it.

VonDoom

I had a brief talk with SidheLady and was thinking of reviving my old Grand Vizier concept, but he's definitely not Disney-Jafar, so I'm not sure if it can be done without making problems for your Jasmine, Kythia.

But if you like the notion of having a Grand Vizier around and have any ideas how they might fit together, I'd be glad to make some adjustments -- I need to think of how to revise him for this game first, anyway. I left the old section of comments on other characters in there since it shows his personality a bit more, but feel free to skip that if you're having a look.

I'll understand if you'd rather not, but it'd be awesome to try the concept out again in some form.

The Grand Vizier, original writeup for a Fables game

Here we go. Sadly lost the style I intended to write it in at some point into the Bio. I somehow managed to find a real photo I don't mind, so that's there. The actual character image I intended is still WIP, because it needs an edit before I can put it to use.

Name: The Grand Vizier/Rashid
Many. Fables call him 'The Vizier', some call him Ja'far, others Imhotep. It is said only his two closest daughters, whom he holds dear, know his true name. His most often used identity in the Mundie World is Rashid Harun al-Hikma, in honor of his old friend Harun al-Rashid and the House of Wisdom he built.

He was once known in the Mundie World as the Mad Monk Rasputin, over a century ago, and may have posed or actually been other legendary historical figures.

Functions in Fable Society:
Legal Consultant and Representative
Mediator
Patron of the Arts
Provider of Magical Services

Functions in Mundane Society:
Business Counselor
Political and Legal Advisor

Fable: The Grand Vizier Jafar (1001 Nights Frame Story, advising role)
Unnamed sorcerer and his brother (Aladdin, antagonistic role)
Grand Vizier (Aladdin, antagonistic role)
Duban (The tale of the vizier and the sage Duban, protagonist role)
Ja'far ibn Yahya (The Three Apples, The Tale of Attaf; protagonist role)
Koschei the Deathless (The Death of Koschei the Deathless, antagonistic role)
Age: Ancient. Currently looks in his forties most of the time, but subtly ages his appearance when he acts as an advisor.
Height: 1,78m
Faceclaim: Khaled Nabawy

Sexual Orientation:
Bisexual (prefers feminine beauty, regardless of actual sex and/or gender). Polygamous.

Relationship Status:
Complicated. Currently unattached romantically, but married, divorced and widowed many times over.  Some famous Fables are of his descent. Most notably, Dunyazad and Scheherazade are his daughters.

Abilities:
Of the wise men in the court of the caliph Harun al-Rashid, praised be his name, Ja'far was the wisest, the most cunning and learned. He held many secrets and wonders. He was wise in the magics and sorceries of men, of djinn and of gods. His appearance changed as easily as the flow of a rivulet. He could be young and strong, he could be old and wrinkled, he could even be man or woman if he so desired. The spirits of the Earth heeded his call, for he knew their names, and even those of the elements. It is said he even possessed the secret of immortality and had tried to share it with his great friend, the caliph, but could not.

Archetypal Vizier: Rashid is the most prominent Fable-Advisor in existence, serving in that function in some manner for thousands of years since he was first named Imhotep. He is a polymath learned in many things, an architect (the first, according to some), engineer and physician. An alchemist, a priest, a politician, hero and villain (more so since his almost slanderous portrayal in Disney's Aladdin). Though his incarnation as Imhotep was eventually deified, he has no divinity to claim, but all that he was and is combined makes him close to becoming a fundamental archetype. It does leave him somewhat more vulnerable to fates, popular presentations and repeat patterns than others.

Sorcery: The Grand Vizier is a sorcerer of great skill and experience. His specialties are glamors, spirit magic and elemental sorcery, though his workings are not limited to such.

He has a particular facility with glamouring magic and may modify his own, which he maintains at all times despite it usually mirroring his true appearance, at a whim.

He can command lesser spirits and may speak to and implore greater ones to serve him in exchange for repayment. He can conjure flame, use earth magic to bolster himself and others, wind magic to travel in the air and water magic to heal and purify.

Immortality: Though a very popular Fable to begin with, he has gained actual immortality by locking his true heart into a secret chest, which he has hidden as described under Possessions and Resources. The process is dangerous and cannot be replicated except under very rare circumstances. He can be truly killed only by piercing that heart, though extensive damage to his body is still a great hindrance and being swallowed by the Nothing would still be his end.

He used to possess a magic ring that called a wish-granting djinn for him, but the spirit was lost to the Nothing when he called on it to vanquish the threat. The ring on his finger is now useless.

Important Possessions and Resources:
QuoteThe Golden Palace - Though he had no palace or castle to bring with him, the Grand Vizier used his quickly gained wealth and own sorcery to craft himself a large and beautiful palace where he and his servants as well as his sister-daughter Sharazad live, hidden behind the closet doors of his consulting office. Within it grows a branch that was taken from the Cypress of Keshmar before they were forced to flee the Homelands.

Deep within its labyrinthine dungeons lies a vast desert, within which lies a pyramid, within which lies an actual labyrinth protected by old spirits within which lies a puzzle box within which he has hidden his true heart.

A magic working woven through the Golden Palace allows Sharazad to more easily weave her stories into reality inside its halls, within the limited framework that they have defined so as to not disturb the main building structures and its protective spells -- It holds nearly as many of those and obfuscating ones as the Fabletown office itself -- and the secret pyramid center more even than that.

QuoteFaridah (NPC)

Age: Mid-Thirties, exists since the dawn of Fable-Baghdad
Sexual Orientation: Humanoids. Very focused on oral since it holds special dom/sub/trust significance for her due to her ghul-ish eating habits.
Relationship Status: Maintains casual intimacy with a number of lovers.

Bio:  Rashid's personal assistant, a female ghul. She is a lesser shapeshifting demon who used to terrorize the deserts and feast upon unsuspecting humans in the shape of a bestial hyena until she was captured and imprisoned. Being offered the opportunity to save herself from the Nothing if she would abandon her monstrous ways and take a civilized form, she accepted and has since served as a loyal retainer. She maintains the shape of a beautiful Arabic woman, but prefers to wear a suit while she works. She now satisfies her inhuman appetites with the occasional extra-bloody steak.

Abilities: As a demon, she can change her form to many terrifying or pleasing shapes and possesses supernatural physical attributes -- toughness, strength, speed and ferocity all well above your average Mundie. When in her true form, these increase with her size and she also gains a deadly poisonous bite.

As a PA, she can fulfill any and all duties a secretary would and also acts as a chauffeur, bodyguard and valet.

The Staff of Wadjet - A staff that can transform into an intelligent venomous cobra of variable size that understands human speech. It can serve as a guard, assassin or spy. The staff may also be used to put the weak-minded into a suggestive hypnotic state.

Shamshir-e Zomorrodnegar - A sword from Persian legend, it was specifically made to be the only thing that can hurt the demon Fulad-zereh. When worn it serves as a charm against magic and the wounds it inflicts do not heal easily. It is the Grand Vizier's preferred weapon.

The Ring of Wishes - Now useless, but worn as a reminder. Once allowed to summon a djinn servant, but the powerful spirit was consumed by the Nothing.

The Cup of Jamshid - A cup filled with an elixir of immortality , the surface of which reflects the whole world. It can be used as a tool of divination, similar to the Magic Mirror, but holds no thoughts or personality of its own.

The Sword Kladenets - The self-swinging sword from Russian legend. It will guide an unproficient wielder's movement and may leap to fight on its own on command.

The Bottled City - Stolen from a powerful dream-spirit, The Bottled City holds a preserved reflection of Baghdad in its Golden Age. If you look closely, you can almost see it moving.

Weakness:
Though wise, the Grand Vizier has an innate desire for more knowledge and power that sometimes blinds him and makes him act against his better knowledge. He can be dismissive and even aggressive towards those reaching beyond their station and strongly believes in an outdated caste system.

He still longs for what he considers the golden age and has become a more bitter and resentful man for it. If past transgressions against others were incidental or part of the societal system at best, he is now primarily out for his own gain -- his pride as a vizier does not allow him to advise others badly, but if he can profit as well, he will favor such options and approaches and may simply choose not to help those he would not profit from.

His heart, if discovered.

Reputation: Steadfast and unshakable as a truly faithful and wise advisor with those who knew him as Grand Vizier or Imhotep and still good with those he encountered in his early adventures. After Baghdad, he was more bitter and was experienced as a cunning and wise but troubled and often disagreeable man.

At current, his reputation is questionable -- if approached he can be relied upon to deliver, with pretty much anything, but his ways have become callous, selfish and the favors he asks in return may be more steep than any monetary payments.

Bio:

Accounts of Fable-Baghdad strongly inspired by Neil Gaiman's Ramadan. Praise of characters and location within not to be taken as self-aggrandizing, it's just how these things are told.

In Fables, time does not flow as it does in the Mundie World, but surely the tale of Imhotep is one of the oldest. Born a commoner, he rose to become the chief advisor -- the Vizier -- to the Pharaoh Netjerikhet and was also the head priest of Rah, the sun god. In those days, all priests were sorcerers after a fashion and so was he, calling the flames of the sun down onto the Earth. After his death, it is said that, like the great Pharao, he became a god.

But Imhotep did not die. The tomb he had constructed was in truth a ritual chamber  within which he invested himself with immortality and, thought dead, went on to journey to places that others dared not dream of.

Many adventures and wonders did he see -- tales of great love, magics great and powerful, heroes and villains and deeds so grand they would be persist forever -- but one age, one golden age and one perfect city, where the sun forever shone and the streets were full of adventure, mysteries and wonder, is where he truly was at home.

This city was the jewel, the perfect city that would forever be remembered even when it was but a pale shadow of its fabled splendor. It was Baghdad.

There, he was Ja'far ibn Yahya. He was chief advisor and trusted friend to the caliph, Harun al-Rashid, who was the greatest caliph who ever lived and with whom he had many adventures. Because the caliph was his friend, like he, Ja'far had many wives and beautiful young men to attend him and ease his worries, beautiful and gentle and beyond compare -- except when held against the harem of the caliph himself, whose wives and pretty male companions were doubly so.

He also had two daughters. Scheherazade and Dunyazad, both beautiful and beyond compare. Beautiful enough that Scheherazade became the wife of King Shaheryar, who was the king of kings and ruled all of Persia. But that is another story of stories, one in which Ja'far plays many parts and that would take a thousand and one nights to tell in full.

Far more important was the matter of a beggar, a thief and vagabond, whose name was Aladdin. The vizier in his wisdom knew of a cave that held within a wonderful oil lamp that would grant wishes. Though he himself possessed a ring of similar quality, he knew that there was great danger in such power in the wrong hands and that his hands, those of the Grand Vizier, were the best to wield it.

The cave was trapped and very dangerous. The vizier feared that even his spell of immortality might not protect him and thus he sought out someone to secure the lamp for him. Someone who would gladly risk his life in exchange for better station and wealth. He found Aladdin.

Aladdin, however, discovered the true power of the lamp -- Ja'far, cunning Ja'far, had accounted for the possibility and trapped him inside the cave rather than leave him free to roam with a wish-granting djinn at his disposal, but Aladdin used a wish to break free. He stole the daughter of Harun al-Rashid, who had been engaged to Ja'far's own son, with another and in one fell swoop named the Grand Vizier villain and betrayer.

The Golden Age of Baghdad was ended. The Vizier despaired of this and found little solace when he went to advise the kings who had married his daughters.

Thus he traveled again, alone and without his dear friend, for centuries and to the most distant parts of the world, even to a bleak place where there were no wonders or magic and where he was briefly known by the name Rasputin before he returned to more fantastic places.

The Nothing was a threat he had not, could not have, foreseen. His magic proved ineffective, his djinn was swallowed and only flight remained as an option. Though loathe to be forced into action, he assisted in the grand spell to open a portal into the Mundie World -- having been there once already, his assistance was critical, but once there he declared no desire to join in the Witches' circle. He had served others loyally for long enough, now bereft of all wonder in this dreary, grey world he would be his own master.

Skilled in matters of finance, ruling and (eventually, as modern laws were strange and often senseless) law, he was one of the few to immediately start working with mundies and started to build up an entirely new fortune. He offers perfectly servicable glamors as well as advice to Fables in need of them and, instead of payment like the Witches and government demand, asks for 'friendship' and favors in return.

His assistance was instrumental in setting down the laws of Fabletown, but as a result he is intimately familiar with them -- so far, any challenges to his glamour production, which by all accounts should be illegal, were swiftly argued away on account of adhering to all proper protocols and procedures (as in part defined by him).

His two favorite daughters, Harun al-Rashid, people intelligent and sensible, people aware of their station, Homeland artifacts and wonders from past ages, having reliable servants, polygamy

Dislikes:
Aladdin, foolishness, lawbreakers, being questioned, the Mundie World, the Witches (for they meddle with things without truly understanding them), being tricked

Relations:

Name Bigby Wolf
Played By: El Maligno
Character's Thoughts: "His human skin still fits ill after all these years. For now he is an instrument of justice and is due the appropriate respect, but -- as loathe as I am to quote this old cliché -- for all his well-hidden cunning and godly power, he remains an unwashed brute."
Possible Connection: Rashid was an instrumental part in creating the Compact, so law enforcement and law expert naturally have some connection -- depending on the instance, Rashid could very well serve as either accuser or defense in a court. If Bigby also does more shady spying and secret ops business to protect Fabletown as in the comics, Rashid could also be involved there -- as a sponsor, as 'off the books' arcane support or to provide planning, logistics and support. After all, they're both intent on Fabletown's continued safety and in some manner lawkeepers. There is also the matter of Bigby suspecting him, but as long as he does nothing against actual Fabletown law, Rashid sees no reason to fear the wolf.

Name Evil Queen/Alexandrai Grimhilde
Played By: CurvyKitten
Character's Thoughts: "Long ago, I might have condemned her wicked and sought to have her replaced with a more proper ruler -- but things are different now. She is an able sorceress and an intriguing woman. While I would not name her rival, she is a point of curiosity. Certain arrangements could be made to mutual benefit."
Possible Connection: Having connections, alchemic skill and a magical castle in which to grow herbs that mundane earth might not support, he may well be able to provide rare ingredients that she needs. As far as I can tell, she's not part of the 13th Floor, so an alliance (perhaps for the purpose of casting cloaking and protection spells to resist their efforts) might be sensible. As rich Fables, they might also have some financial interaction -- but they probably both have people for that.

Name Goldilocks
Played By: Lustful Bride
Character's Thoughts: "I recall she works in a certain bookstore I eventually intend to purchase, if only for the nostalgia of its name. Other than that, we haven't spoken."
Possible Connection: The nostalgic name has Rashid interesting in acquiring her shop, which means he could potentially become her employer.

Name Gretel
Played By: Timeless
Character's Thoughts: "An oddity -- her abilities are unusual and almost as outlandish as her brother's. But more importantly, she has interest in and some skill with witchcraft. While mercenaries are ever second choice to loyal agents, she should prove useful."
Possible Connection: As a patron -- while he seems to hold little respect for her brother, Gretel he is pleasant enough with and would be amendable to giving instruction on arcane matters if approached -- in exchange for future favors or services rendered, of course.

Name Hansel
Played By: TheBlackThrone
Character's Thoughts: "… is he truly Fable? He seems more in line with this modern 'super hero' mythology -- if it wasn't for the ridiculousness of it all. Potentially useful, but best dealt with through his sister."
Possible Connection: May also serve as a patron for Hansel's mercenary work, but prefers to deal with his sister.

Name Hunter
Played By: TheHangedMan
Character's Thoughts: "Hmm? Oh, yes, him. Skilled man, but it is rare that you need a hunter in Fabletown. He might make for a good agent to send after rogue Fables if necessary, but tradition dictates that these types shy away from murder -- as our good Miss Snow would know."
Possible Connection: As the most skilled hunter in Fabletown, Rashid may have had people (possibly Faridah) approach him about purchasing rare meats.

Name Lake/Lady of the Lake/Vivian
Played By: Caela
Character's Thoughts: "A powerful spirit -- or perhaps minor goddess. She seems content in her new role, but we shall see how long it takes until she needs must follow her nature and declare another true king. Her spa is pleasant enough."
Possible Connection: A chooser of kings and an advisor of kings, it's highly likely that, if she is older than Arthurian myth, they may have run into each other. He occasionally visits the spa.

Name Merlin
Played By: El Maligno
Character's Thoughts: "How far the mighty can fall. He served a function similar to my own in the Arthurian cycle, could perhaps have taken my mantle if I ever was to depart from this realm, but no more. Not hardened, but broken by the Nothing -- still, he may yet prove useful."
Possible Connection: Business associates, would buy up any magical trinkets Merlin is willing to sell. Might visit and sit with him to try and profit from his insights, but is reluctant to do so out of distaste for what he has become.

Name Nala
Played By: La Dame en Noir
Character's Thoughts: "A queen lioness? Interesting -- though she seems content with her current lot, I sense ambition. Perhaps it could be fostered."
Possible Connection: None in particular occur -- Rafiki is a distinct fable of his own and would be odd to include in the Grand Vizier, so he wouldn't have advised any of the Lion Kings relevant to her. He wouldn't frequent a bar, either -- but Faridah might. Especially if she also serves food. Between glamored lion and shapeshifted ghul , they might share a fondness for raw steak.

Name Nalayani the Loyal
Played By: Alixandre
Character's Thoughts: "Ah, Nalayani. One of her aspects -- do the others even realize, I wonder? Our paths have crossed at times, over the millennia. Now … well, now I can say I am glad that at least one person works in law enforcement who knows how to conduct herself professionally."
Possible Connection: They are both ancient and would have encountered each other before Rashid grew bitter -- since he respects her greatly, he will attempt to act more like his old self in her presence, when he can.

Name Oberon
Played By: Juggtacular
Character's Thoughts: "Time is of varying consequences to Fables -- and ever more so for the Fae and thus their king. I sought out Oberon's court in my earlier days, to study their ways, to study their magics. On a later visit I saw myself, young and beardless, still there and learning. Recent times have taken the wonder of us all and now time flows for him as it does in the mundane world. It must be a terrible burden to be so limited for such a creature. Still, though he can never replace my true king, I call him friend."
Possible Connection: Already discussed -- and mentioned above.

Name Rapunzel/Madeline Adams
Played By: Bekha Boo
Character's Thoughts: "Princesses are something we'll never be short of. Though gifted with some minor magic, she has so far failed to impress."
Possible Connection: They may have encountered each other when he pays visit to Merlin, but other than that I don't think any real connection would fit them. Maybe Faridah frequents the place more often and is a casual acquaintance?

Name Red Riding Hood/Rosalyn Harper
Played By: Mellific
Character's Thoughts: "An odd theme in Fabletown, that all bakers and candymakers are also warriors. Though her potential is limited, her interest in magics is notable and may make her a useful agent -- especially with that luring charm she possesses. It may be prudent to provide protection to my closer employees if I am to keep her near."
Possible Connection: If she seeks instruction and greater knowledge of magic, the Grand Vizier is pretty much the ideal tutor. His heart being locked away would not be widely known outside of a few Russian Fables who know he was Koschei (Baba Yaga would know, of course), but if there is some reasonable explanation for her to know, that's fine by me.  I'm confused about the legal thing you mentioned, though -- I thought she was running a bakery? Was there some update I missed? Or did you mean the divorce from Woody? He could have acted as a consultant, especially if she had shown interest in arcane instruction before and was thus on his radar.

Name Reynard Fox
Played By: Garuss Vakarian
Character's Thoughts: "A useful agent, if one remembers to treat him as he believes is his due. But only that."
Possible Connection: Somehow, Reynard was imprisoned despite the Amnesty -- while his past deeds might have warranted it, they cannot matter anymore. Rashid would speak for his freedom.

Name Scheherazade/Shahra
Played By: Amarlo
Character's Thoughts: "She has been my daughter for many years. It is … difficult to remember, sometimes, that she is not. Stories are a powerful thing, repeat them often enough and they become truth. None know that better than my Shahra."
Possible Connection: A father and his daughter. Or was it elder brother and sister? The details are fuzzy sometimes, as much as Rashid occasionally needs to remind himself where his true origins lie.  Still, he was ever the cerebral advisor, the builder and scientist, the magician -- and she the teller of stories, the sorceress and oracle, who thought up wonders where he would rather seek, analyze and catalogue. She has taught him much over the years upon years and so did he teach her in turn. His understanding of narrative, repetition and the power held within is owed to her as much as Oberon -- to whom of the two that makes a compliment remains a question that he has craftily avoided.

Name Snow White
Played By: Alixandre
Character's Thoughts: "A fine leader -- her proposition of Amnesty has impressed and she continues to run the administration as effectively as it can in our situation. Unexpected, given her early history, but she has truly come into herself. Far less tiresome than the King placed above her, for that matter."
Possible Connection: Rashid supported her Amnesty proposal and actively participated in forming the Compact. He gives a hefty yearly contribution to Fabletown and may have the occasional word of advice, if asked. He has hinted at thinking her a more suitable ruler than King Cole.

Name Tinkerbell
Played By: CurvyKitten
Character's Thoughts: "The thief? I'm surprised she hasn't been caught yet. Either she steals from Fables or is a continued exposure risk in stealing from the Mundane -- both of which are major crimes and one, treason. Still, I am not actual part of the government, so she is hardly my problem. For now. "
Possible Connection: Thieves make for excellent spies, do they not? And he is rather keen on acquiring magical trinkets -- for safekeeping purposes -- so he may well be one of her major employers.

Name Woody Garland
Played By: Garuss Vakarian
Character's Thoughts: "A weak man -- he could not follow his Queen's orders, nor could he resist the lure of the bottle. We shall see if his current efforts to do so will go anywhere."
Possible Connection: None beyond professional courtesy -- unless he wants to be on payroll to share office information or something.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

SidheLady

Okay, I am looking to begin this...monday or tuesday, waiting the last characters to be submitted.

JUst a heads up folks, it's almosy go time!

TheGlyphstone

Characters-to-date that I can see:

Complete:
Merida (LunaJinx)
Jasmine (Kythia)
Tinkerbell (CharlieSariel)

Captain Hook (Urbanzorro)
Hades (BlueEyedBard)
Jack Giantkiller (Glyphstone)

Proposed/In Progress:
Alice (Bes)
Grand Vizier? (VonDoom)

Larynx

I think I'd be up for it. It'd be my first chance after joining this forum to become involved in an RP. I'd just have to think of what character, or fairy tale to work with.

Kythia

Honestly, Von Doom, I don't see any particular problems here.  He's not my Grand Vizier, at least at game start, and the only real overlap seems to be with the title.    Which...whatevs.  In game maybe he'll become my advisor, maybe he won't but I either way I don't see it particularly inruding.  Cheers for checking, but so far as my permission is wanted/needed you totes have it.

VonDoom

I'm asking because ... well, he's a take on the character Disney's Jafar is based on that's trying to steer closer to 1001 Nights, so unless there's a separate 'Disney's Aladdin' world and a '1001 Nights' world, they would have to correspond to the respective part in each other's tale. That's my concern.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Kythia

Well, and I bow to SidheLady on this, I was assuming there had to be really.  Either that or time works weird in Fairy Tale land and people from different time periods could co-exist (so you were Grand Vizier to one of my ancestors or descendants).  Because otherwise if someone take Scherazade (sp?) or Ali Baba or Sinbad or something they'd overlap which doesn't make a whole load of sense when noone considers potential overlap between, say Sleeping Beauty and Robin Hood - both from a pseudo medieval Europe.  In essence, I think we're only worrying about that overlap because we're viewing western centred tales as the default.  But again, I'm not the GM.

SidheLady

Okay, my thought on this is easy. The Vizier character is from a seperate nation within the deserts. I mean, the disney version of aladdin is quite different from the original, and djinn are not rare in middle-eastern story and legend.

So, if that works, thats my ruling

Fair?