List of Topics to Cover in Intro Post for any Group Game

Started by Moraline, January 29, 2013, 10:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moraline

What are some things to cover in the opening Recruitment post of a group game? (Looking for Group)

Disclaimer: These are NOT Elliquiy rules. It is a list of things for a potential GM/group game organizer to think about when creating their initial recruitment threads. It was designed to help you get the types of players that you would like in your game and to aid the players in seeing what your game will be like when they consider joining it.

*Updated May 20th, 2013 / See bottom for a brief version in checklist form and a selectable code version of it*

Main Outline (Story, Character, General, & Mechanics etc..):

• Section the Game will be placed in and whether it is a system game or not.
    Be sure to note this in the title and/or at the top of the post.  eg: Non-Con, Extreme, Exotic, Human, etc...
    Note: Just because it's a game based on a system does not mean it will be a system game, so note that in the post.
  • Who is the RP open to? (Placed near the top to help players get clear expectations immediately)
    Is the RP is open to all? Is it mono-gender, will it accept cross-gender players and will it accept trans-gender characters? Etc...   
  • Short Summary of Player Roles and General Story/Plot.
    This is a precursor before the details so the players can get the concept in a nutshell without wasting time reading lengthy posts.
  • Setting. (Also see section on World Building(click me) if needed)
    Environment, Season, History, Technology level, Culture, Etc... (Much of this may be covered already if a system game.)
    How much does the player know of the world around them?
    *Additionally the tone the game is going for. Is it going to be dark, gritty, realistic, suspenseful, etc? 
  • Plot Outline.
    (Sandbox/Open or Meta-Plot if any. To what degree will it be structured or sandbox? Player goals/challenges if any?)   
  • Character creation info/guidelines if any.
    How many characters may a player have?
    Expected character power levels or ability comparisons to the average/common person (If applicable)
    Roles (Housewives, Professionals, Victims, Heroes, System Game type classes, etc...)   
  • Required Resources (If any) (If a system game - What books(ver.) or links to information needed such as an online guide or wiki?) 
  • Game Pacing. (See additional notes below for Participation Expectations)   
  • How much sexual activity is likely to occur or expected, if any? (Important to note this separately from Game Pacing as this is often an important factor in a players decision to join a game or not.)
  • Whether tagging will be used or not. Provide an example for players to use.
  •    

Game Master Info / GM(s) Participation Level (If/where applicable)

• Will there be a Co-GM?
  • How guided will the play be(sandbox, directed etc)?
  • What extent will players be allowed to create/use environment or setting details? 
  • How NPC's will be handled. (If any) - (By GM and/or players, and what expectations)
  • How active will the GM be?   
  • Will there be an OOC thread? (expectations of thread usage) 
  • How to contact/approach GM with questions? (use OOC thread, direct PM, etc...)
  • How will decisions be resolved?   
  • Will PvP be allowed (if applicable)? 
  •  

Additional Notes/Reminders Etc, :

• "The Oath of the Drake" (click me)
    Or perhaps some other form of a reminder to players of their obligations and responsibilities when joining a group game.
  • A note to Respect other players' Offs.
    (If Applicable) Any Non-consensual scenes must be negotiated with another player before hand. Respect their wishes if they don't want to be a part of the scene. 
  • Player Participation Expectations.
    Methods for reporting a possible absence.
    Amount/Number of posts per week expected.
    Possibly the method used to remove drop-outs from the game (write out, kill off, or ignored) and under what circumstances a player will be removed? (Ex: Absent for what period of time causes removal? - days, 2 weeks, a month? How many times will the GM PM them, etc...) 
  • Possibly discuss how new players will be brought into the game? 
  • What Writing style/POV. (Third person, first person, past, present, omniscient, etc...) 
  •  
Checklist (Summary)

Game:

• Section the Game will be placed in and whether it is a system game or not.
  • Who is the RP open to? (Gender, Sexuality, etc..?)   
  • Short Summary of Player Roles and General Story/Plot.   
  • Setting.   
  • Plot Outline.       
  • Character creation info/guidelines if any.   
  • Required Resources (If any) (If a system game - What books(ver.) or links to information needed such as an online guide or wiki?)     
  • Game Pacing.     
  • How much sexual activity is likely to occur or expected, if any?   
  • Whether tagging will be used or not.   
Game Master Info / GM(s) Participation Level (If/where applicable)

• Will there be a Co-GM?
  • How guided will the play be(sandbox, directed etc)?
  • What extent will players be allowed to create/use environment or setting details?
  • How NPC's will be handled. (If any) - (By GM and/or players, and what expectations)
  • How active will the GM be?   
  • Will there be an OOC thread? (expectations of thread usage)
  • How to contact/approach GM with questions? (use OOC thread, direct PM, etc...)
  • How will decisions be resolved?   
  • Will PvP be allowed (if applicable)? 
Additional:

• Player Oath "Oath of the Drake" or some other reminder of player responsibilities in a group game.   
  • A note to Respect Other players (Offs etc..)   
  • Player Participation Expectations. (Posts/week expected. Methods for reporting a possible absence/The method used to remove drop-outs from the game.)   
  • Discuss how new players will be brought into the game (if the game is already running.)   
  • What Writing style/POV. (Third person, first person, past, present, omniscient, etc...)     
Selectable Code Version of the Summary Checklist Below:
[b]Game:[/b]
[list type=decimal]
[li]Section the Game will be placed in and whether it is a system game or not. [/li]
[li]Who is the RP open to? (Gender, Sexuality, etc..?)  [/li]
[li]Short Summary of Player Roles and General Story/Plot.    [/li]
[li]Setting.    [/li]
[li]Plot Outline.        [/li]
[li]Character creation info/guidelines if any.    [/li]
[li]Required Resources (If any) (If a system game - What books(ver.) or links to information needed such as an online guide or wiki?)     [/li]
[li]Game Pacing.     [/li]
[li]How much sexual activity is likely to occur or expected, if any?    [/li]
[li]Whether tagging will be used or not.    [/li]
[/list]
[b]Game Master Info / GM(s) Participation Level (If/where applicable)[/b]
[list type=decimal]
[li]Will there be a Co-GM?[/li]
[li]How guided will the play be(sandbox, directed etc)?[/li]
[li]What extent will players be allowed to create/use environment or setting details? [/li]
[li]How NPC's will be handled. (If any) - (By GM and/or players, and what expectations)[/li]
[li]How active will the GM be?   [/li]
[li]Will there be an OOC thread? (expectations of thread usage) [/li]
[li]How to contact/approach GM with questions? (use OOC thread, direct PM, etc...)[/li]
[li]How will decisions be resolved?   [/li]
[li]Will PvP be allowed (if applicable)?  [/li]
[/list]
[b]Additional:[/b]
[list type=decimal]
[li]Player Oath "Oath of the Drake" or some other reminder of player responsibilities in a group game.    [/li]
[li]A note to Respect Other players (Offs etc..)    [/li]
[li]Player Participation Expectations. (Posts/week expected. Methods for reporting a possible absence/The method used to remove drop-outs from the game.)    [/li]
[li]Discuss how new players will be brought into the game (if the game is already running.)    [/li]
[li]What Writing style/POV. (Third person, first person, past, present, omniscient, etc...)      [/li]
[/list]

Thufir Hawat

I suspect you might want to include a note whether sexual activity is driving the plot or following from it.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Moraline

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Moraline on January 29, 2013, 04:06:33 PM
Added to the list.  Thank you.
You're welcome.
A note whether the players are expected to post attempting an action, or can decide the results, might also help IMO. I've seen both in freeform, and it might help to know which one is going to be used.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Moraline

I would assume that most everyone would realize that was godmodding? Does that happen so often around here that it needs to be said? In my experience it doesn't... but my experiences are not yours. Thoughts?

Aiden

I would recommend linking

"The Oath of the Drake"

Lot's of good rules for players to live by when joining a group game.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Moraline on January 30, 2013, 02:04:51 PM
I would assume that most everyone would realize that was godmodding? Does that happen so often around here that it needs to be said? In my experience it doesn't... but my experiences are not yours. Thoughts?
Actually, that's not godmodding, depending on some groups. To some freeform players, that's the default.
For that matter, it's the default in Wushu, too ;D!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Moraline

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on January 31, 2013, 12:18:30 PM
Actually, that's not godmodding, depending on some groups. To some freeform players, that's the default.
For that matter, it's the default in Wushu, too ;D!

I think I misunderstood you. I thought you meant, taking actions to another player but I'm now thinking that you meant like in general or to NPC's.

.... and I have no idea what the hell Wushu is.

Moraline

Quote from: Aiden on January 31, 2013, 10:48:06 AM
I would recommend linking

"The Oath of the Drake"

Lot's of good rules for players to live by when joining a group game.

That's a good idea. I never much saw the point in it myself. I've seen it around many time. It seems like a no brainer to me.. but I can see how it might be a good idea to put it on the list to remind some players.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Moraline on January 31, 2013, 04:53:46 PM
I think I misunderstood you. I thought you meant, taking actions to another player but I'm now thinking that you meant like in general or to NPC's.

.... and I have no idea what the hell Wushu is.

Wushu is a lightweight, narrative-based system that's currently free. It's known for the Principle of narrative truth, meaning whatever you say, happens, barring some other player or GM imposing Veto.
The dice rolls measure your progress to resolving the scene's conflict, and individual actions are just part of it.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Moraline

Added,

Character creation information or source to be used if any.

Also, whether tags will be used or not.

Tag Sample

Street Name: Capri
Metatype: Elf
Role: Street Samurai (Sniper)
Nuyen 5,402¥
Street Cred: 0
Location: Tacoma, Mean streets, blackened alley and all sorts of places I shouldn't be...     
Time/Date: Feb 10th Evening   
Tagged: Thugs in an alley, open   

Moraline

Added:

"Expected character power levels or ability comparisons to the average/common person (If applicable) "

kckolbe

I also like to see what kind of tone the game is going for.  Is it going to be dark, gritty, realistic, suspenseful, etc? 

To give an example, let's say we are running a strip club game, and I want to create a dancer.  Based on the tone, she could be a beautiful, spoiled rich girl that got into it to be adventurous or an abused former drug addict trying to start over doing one of the only legal jobs she can get.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Moraline

Quote from: kckolbe on February 05, 2013, 07:41:35 PM
I also like to see what kind of tone the game is going for.  Is it going to be dark, gritty, realistic, suspenseful, etc? 

To give an example, let's say we are running a strip club game, and I want to create a dancer.  Based on the tone, she could be a beautiful, spoiled rich girl that got into it to be adventurous or an abused former drug addict trying to start over doing one of the only legal jobs she can get.

Added that to the list.

I usually consider it as part of the "setting." However, I can see where making a point to note it could be important. Thank you for the addition.

Chrystal

I usually like to put in something about respecting other players' Ons & Offs (and especially the Offs).

Yes, it should go without saying, it should be implicit and no-one should ever need a reminder, but we all know that "should" and "does" are two totally different things.

I have (and I am sure others have) come across players who seemed to assume that "Non-consent" means they have free rain to have their character do whatever they like to another character regardless of the player's wishes. In a "light" game it probably isn't necessary, but in NC or EX games, I think it is.

Also, possibly more helpful, what method are you using to remove drop-outs from the game, (killed off, or just ignored) and under what circumstances a player will be considered to have left - (two weeks with no contact, a month, how many times you will PM them, etc...)

On the flip side, is there a special procedure for getting new players into the game?

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Moraline

Added new inclusions, updated, and restructured the original post.

Additions?
Thoughts?
Suggestions?

Chrystal

You have "Setting" as a single entry.

Depending on the setting, that might be sufficient, but it can easily be expanded and broken down into a vast number of different elements, such as:

• History: What has gone before, both in terms of getting the player characters to where they all are at the start, and in creating the world they are in. DFor example, any wars, any changes to "Real life" history, any technological advances, any changes to society. Each of these could have it's own sub-sub heading.
  • Technology: What level of technology nis the world at? Medieval, futuristic, is there magic, is there electricity...?
  • The environment: Where are the characters? Are they on an island, in a dessert, on a ship, on a space ship, in a castle, etc...
A couple of other things that might be included in headings you already have:

RP type: Is it sand box, story based, a McGuffin hunt, an escape, or what?
NPCs: What is your policy on NPCs. Actually this is important. First, are there any NPCs? In a small closed environment game, you may just want the player characters only. In an entire world sandbox, that is unrealistic. So, do you want players to create the characters "on the fly", use them as required and discard them when no longer required, or do you as GM want to control all NPCs, in which case, what is your preferred method for a player asking you to create one?

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Kuroneko

I would add if the GM expects a certain type of writing style, i.e. should all posts be third person voice, past tense, or are other voices and tenses allowed. 
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Moraline

*updated Original post again*

Quote from: Chrystal on February 10, 2013, 09:19:25 AM
You have "Setting" as a single entry.
Yes, I didn't want to get into too much detail as this is meant as more of a checklist then actual details.

Also, not everyone likes all those details in an intro post. That said, I did add in a couple of more notes with reference to those subjects. Some of them had been covered already and others would be covered automatically in the course of someone creating their post (through the choice of game, description of how the poster wants their setting to be / if it's a system game etc, etc...)

Good thoughts in all. I added the core points where applicable.

Quote from: Kuroneko on February 10, 2013, 09:27:02 AM
I would add if the GM expects a certain type of writing style, i.e. should all posts be third person voice, past tense, or are other voices and tenses allowed. 
Thank you for reminding me. I had thought of it earlier and it totally slipped my mind.

Dhi

One of the issues I've run into as a lesbian writer, when running an adult group game, is what kind of sexual content I am actually interested in writing. I'm not really interested in straight or M/M sex.

So for me, I would either need to come up with some blanket in-game justification (it takes place in a weird alternate earth, it's a remote all-girl academy or women's prison) or I would need to disclose, from the start, that none of my NPCs would be available for those kind of encounters.

Chrystal

Quote from: Dhi on February 10, 2013, 01:43:43 PM
One of the issues I've run into as a lesbian writer, when running an adult group game, is what kind of sexual content I am actually interested in writing. I'm not really interested in straight or M/M sex.

So for me, I would either need to come up with some blanket in-game justification (it takes place in a weird alternate earth, it's a remote all-girl academy or women's prison) or I would need to disclose, from the start, that none of my NPCs would be available for those kind of encounters.

I have the same issue, but it's one I'm working hard to overcome.

Hmmm.... I just typed the following paragraph and it's come across a bit hard, but i can't think of a better way to word it! So please forgive me in advance? I'm not meaning to criticise, but to offer up an example and possibly a solution to a problem.

I think part of the problem, though, is that the GM should be taking pleasure from running the game, rather than participating in it? I think the idea that all the NPCs are lesbians or are not available for sex is a bit like saying, "I don't like having my characters die, so none of the NPCs can be killed".

Obviously, in an action based RP, the purpose of the NPCs is to take the hits and die in place of the PCs. In fact a lot of NPCs are created on the fly as they get killed! And the way we, as GMs, deal with it is we don't get attached to them.

The same applies to NPCs used for sex. So it doesn't entertain me? That's beside the point. As long as I'm getting my jollies elsewhere in the game, what Mack does to my NPC should be irrelevant, and what is more he should be allowed to god-mode the NPC to his heart's content. And if what Mack does actually offends me, then perhaps i need to reconsider where I am running the game?

Does bring up another point though....

Assuming this is the opening post in the OOC thread we are talking about, then it's not really relevant, but if we are talking about a recruitment thread, it is worth specifying if the RP is open to all, if it is mono-gender, if you will accept cross-gender players, and if you will accept trans-gender characters!

Moraline

Quote from: Chrystal on February 10, 2013, 02:02:04 PM
...if we are talking about a recruitment thread, it is worth specifying if the RP is open to all, if it is mono-gender, if you will accept cross-gender players, and if you will accept trans-gender characters!

Extremely excellent point! Adding it to the List!

Veluux

This is pretty helpful Moraline. I think Ill be going back and revamping my recruitment thread for Marvel A New Fate with a few of the missed details.

I am watching you [you]...
From the darkest of shadows...

Moraline

Quote from: Veluux on February 21, 2013, 05:45:35 AM
This is pretty helpful Moraline. I think Ill be going back and revamping my recruitment thread for Marvel A New Fate with a few of the missed details.
Thanks, it was the work of a few of us here. I hope it helps you and others as well.

Moraline

In light of a discussion in the GM Lounge I added "Amount/Number of posts per week expected." under Player Participation Expectations to clarify it.