The Big Thread For the USA 2016 Presidential Candidates [Poll updated!]

Started by Blythe, July 31, 2015, 04:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cycle

Ah, this is beautiful.  Trump is welding 3.0 and 2.0 together at the hip.

Keep going, 3.0.  Keeping talking about how your brother "kept us safe."  That's the image you want everyone to associate with your campaign:  9/11, the Iraq War, the failure to bring Bin Laden to justice, another Bush.

You get em, Trump!

Zillah

I hate Trump with the intensity of a thousand burning suns, and I thought this was awesome.

Mithlomwen

Watching the the way the GOP candidates are fighting with each other, I have to wonder if there will be anyone left to vote for by the time the primaries get here. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Mikem

I keep forgetting about VP. Sanders and Clinton running together is kind of an idea.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Zillah

Quote from: Mithlomwen on October 19, 2015, 05:12:12 PM
Watching the the way the GOP candidates are fighting with each other, I have to wonder if there will be anyone left to vote for by the time the primaries get here.

It's one (of many) reasons the Republican Party is in such disarray. The Democratic Party must be laughing themselves silly watching the Republicans snipe and bicker and fight and attack each other. Whoever survives/gets the nomination is mostly going to have to spend a hell of a lot of money/resources that would be better served in the general election, rather than wasting it in the primary process.

Oniya

Quote from: Zillah on October 19, 2015, 06:49:27 PM
The Democratic Party must be laughing themselves silly watching the Republicans snipe and bicker and fight and attack each other.

Pretty much, yeah.  Still watching to see who emerges from the combination clown car/shark tank.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cycle

Well, Jim Webb's thinking of going Independent.

Instead of doing that, maybe he should go all red and run for the Republican nomination.  He's a centrist, and that may be just what some Republicans are looking for.

Zillah

Quote from: Oniya on October 19, 2015, 06:51:07 PM
Pretty much, yeah.  Still watching to see who emerges from the combination clown car/shark tank.

It's how you can tell the Republicans are - at their core - a fractured mess.

It's going to be an uphill battle for them to win back the White House in the first place. If they were smart and organized, they'd already be backing a single candidate and building up a political war chest for the general election.

Not that I have any particular love for the Democrats, either, but wow do the Republicans look like a hot shitshow mess in comparison.

gaggedLouise

I was thinking the tea party would break out and become their own camp, since it doesn't look like the main body of the Reps would nominate their favourite candidates.

But maybe that's gonna happen a few years down the line, in time for the 2020 elections?

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

If anything, I think the 'mainstream' Republicans need to break out.  The Tea Party has basically been riding the established group of voters by using the Republican name
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

TheGlyphstone

It's a pity that American politics is so entrenched into the two-party system, otherwise that might be a more viable expectation. The names of those two parties have changed over time, but running third-party (as opposed to independent) has basically been shorthand for 'cannot win national-level elections' for longer than anyone around today can remember. Both factions within the Republican party want/need to be the 'true Republican Party' to hold onto that legacy, in their most likely thinking.

Oniya

And, in what seems to be an epic bit of shark jumping, there's a Republican Congressman who wants to impeach President Clinton on her first day in office.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/mo-brooks-hillary-clinton-impeachment

I'm not going to get into the whole 'has she done anything worthy of impeachment' thing.  That just leads to people trying to determine what someone means by 'is', and it all breaks down.  *rimshot*  But seriously - this guy is talking about impeaching someone before they are even in an office to be impeached from!

TheGlyphstone

Heck, she hasn't even gotten into a position for anyone to vote for her yet.

auroraChloe

edit/ this is all actually DT speaking.  the dudes are just lip syncing.  hence the 'funny, but scary' /edit

a bit of comedic relief...  funny, but scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRly-0wwl_g

a/a 8/21/17

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Oniya on October 20, 2015, 12:24:56 AM
And, in what seems to be an epic bit of shark jumping, there's a Republican Congressman who wants to impeach President Clinton on her first day in office.

I'm not going to get into the whole 'has she done anything worthy of impeachment' thing.  That just leads to people trying to determine what someone means by 'is', and it all breaks down.  *rimshot*  But seriously - this guy is talking about impeaching someone before they are even in an office to be impeached from!

I....

I....just....

How in the hell do these people manage to get elected?! 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

eBadger

Quote from: Mithlomwen on October 20, 2015, 01:08:30 PM

Have you met your fellow voters? 

Honestly, though, this is still way better than Obama's birth certificate idiocy. 

Zillah

Quote from: Mithlomwen on October 20, 2015, 01:08:30 PM
I....

I....just....

Same people don't run anymore.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on October 20, 2015, 12:24:56 AM

:D

I remember seeing a photo taken in Washington sometime around early 1974 I guess, with a demonstration to get Nixon out of office. The participants were holding placards and signs spoofing the kind you'd see at a party convention, instead of "Arkansas says: Nixon Now!", they'd read "Arkansas says: Impeach Nixon!" and so on...  ;)

As far as I know, Hillary used a private e-mail account that wasn't the official one, likely as a subterfuge to avoid the attention of agents, hackers, spooks and journalists to some of her e-mails. Big deal, it actually looks like a rather smart idea to me. And yes, it happened long before she is even going to get close to being nominated to run for the office the guy wants to expel her from.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

There are a couple of Really Important Reasons (TM) that it wasn't a good idea, regarding record keeping, security, and such - but the Republicans have blown it way out of all reasonable proportion.  The public (outside of the mindless button-pushers) is getting tired of the same old routine of 'the Scandal Game' and wants to hear how the candidates plan on making things better.

eBadger

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 20, 2015, 07:30:14 PMAnd yes, it happened long before she is even going to get close to being nominated to run for the office the guy wants to expel her from.

To clarify that issue, at least, it's worth noting that an affirmative vote of impeachment doesn't just remove a person from their current office, it bars them from holding any public office for the remainder of their life. 

But yes; the email thing has gotten stupid.   

Devilyn Sydhe

As long as an ongoing.FBI investigation, which could easily disqualify Clinton from even running for President, exists, there is no reason to drop the e-mail situation.  Yes, politicians tend to overplay their hands against their opponents, but to think potential criminal activity should just be forgotten just because people are tired of hearing about it plays right into the Clinton playbook.  Hillary has no one to blame for this situation but herself as she remains about as transparent as a brick wall.  It is an effective strategy, judging from many of the comments, but I can't understand voting for someone who was such an incompetent Secretary of State with that glaring Clinton gene of dishonesty.

I also agree with the dislike of Bush 3.0 but Clinton 2.0 is absolutely no better.  America does not stand for dynasties, regardless of party affiliation.  The disarray in the Republican party is actually preferable to the lockstep, singlemindedness shown in the Democrat debate.  How were Webb, Chaffee, and O'Malley even on that stage?  The Democratic party is supposedly for the young and minorities yet all they have to offer are old white people.  At the very least, the Republican field is diverse with many conflicting ideas being hashed out and creating the 'mess' that actually has the chance for innovation.  It is obviously not pretty but this country was not built on the hivemind mentality some seem to want.  Conflict and true debate bring about the best answers and help keep us out of the rut of political ruling families that the Revolution was fought against.

eBadger

Quote from: KalebHyde on October 21, 2015, 09:55:31 AMto think potential criminal activity should just be forgotten

Sure.  What criminal activity?  Because so far, the worst thing they've come up with is "there might be more emails we haven't seen." 

Quote from: KalebHyde on October 21, 2015, 09:55:31 AMThe Democratic party is supposedly for the young and minorities yet all they have to offer are old white people.

Quote from: KalebHyde on October 21, 2015, 09:55:31 AMAt the very least, the Republican field is diverse with many conflicting ideas being hashed out and creating the 'mess' that actually has the chance for innovation.  It is obviously not pretty but this country was not built on the hivemind mentality some seem to want.

Ah yes, Conservatives, always the go-to group for innovation.  I'd be more impressed with the mess if it weren't spewing out a racist, hate-filled bigot.  I'm not thrilled with politics as usual, but the GOP seems eager to remind us there are worse things. 

Quote from: KalebHyde on October 21, 2015, 09:55:31 AMConflict and true debate bring about the best answers and help keep us out of the rut of political ruling families that the Revolution was fought against.