World of Warcraft Blast from the Past

Started by Rhapsody, May 03, 2012, 04:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhapsody

I don't know why I thought of it today -- probably farming Karazhan for Violet Eye rep + Midnight on my druid -- but I had to go find this video again after hubby and I cleared Aran. When Kara was still progression for me, we had to end up playing this over Vent at least once a night.

Anyone got any memories of their own?
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Chris Brady

Unfortunately for me, Blizz killed each and every fun instance I ever enjoyed with Cata.  VC?  Changed.  ZG?  Butchered.  And I actually solo'ed to 60 so I never got to do any of the end game raids in Vanilla.  No one ever wanted an Arms Warrior (Which was better than Fury at the time, mind you.)   Kara is the only one I loved that hasn't been changed.  But no one runs it any more.

But I do remember that song.  Although this is the version I remember:

Shade Of Aran Chant
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Saerrael

>.>

<.<

We always bugged him out. (Send pet in ; stay outside, close doors.)
At least, when KZ was still progression.

Oh, and..;
Hard Like Heroic

Callie Del Noire

Ah Kara. Where I first tanked my Pali. Walked up the steps for the pull. Threw my shield. Pulled Curator from five floors away due to an instance server glitch. Good times.

Saerrael

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 03, 2012, 06:04:31 PM
Ah Kara. Where I first tanked my Pali. Walked up the steps for the pull. Threw my shield. Pulled Curator from five floors away due to an instance server glitch. Good times.

*laughs!* Oh god... I can recall bugs like that..
Also, pulling on those stairs? Not fun for your healers.

Engineering bomb in Scholo.. FUN to see all those mobs jump me from all directions.
(Was soloing, yup, and cleaning up before Darkmaster Gandling.)

And on 'not so wise soloing pulls';
SM Cathedral is linked ::)
*recalls seeing a lvl 70 biting the dust for a boost run*

Chris Brady

So back in Vanilla, In Molten Core I think it was Geddon who used to put a Bomb on you, and your pets.  Now a trick that you used to do, was if the Pet got you'd just desummon it, and then pull out another.  Unfortunately, this fellow did on his Voidwalker.  And apparently, forgot it.  Now this was early Vanilla, so they hadn't quite fixed all the Raid issues.

So he walks into Ironforge, into the Auction House and summons his 'Walker.  Apparently, not knowing that it still had the Bomb.

Boom.

All of the Auction House DIES.  Including the Auctioneers and this poor little level 12 Night Elf Warrior who wanted to see if there was a new sword to choose from.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Shjade

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 03, 2012, 05:16:25 PM
Unfortunately for me, Blizz killed each and every fun instance I ever enjoyed with Cata.  VC?  Changed.  ZG?  Butchered.  And I actually solo'ed to 60 so I never got to do any of the end game raids in Vanilla.
I'm confused: ZG was one of the fun instances you enjoyed, but you never got to do it? O.o

Also, people used to do things like that with Geddon's bomb and (more famously, perhaps) the blood plague from ZG on purpose, too. It's why they made that change. ;p

As for memories...I remember the huge breakthrough moment in raiding that happened when they introduced the Sunwell in BC. Not because of the new raid/instance content - that would be later - but because of the new gear vendors they added for massive upgrades off of heroic tokens. Overnight I went from a middle-of-the-pack affliction warlock to a decked-out 0/21/40 boomlock as I'd had a disgusting surplus of heroics done and could afford to get literally everything worth getting in one shot.

The best part? No one else in my (newly-joined - I'd been with them maybe two weeks before this) raid team understood the ramifications of the new gear being available, nor did they know until our next raid night that I'd completely changed spec and gear.

After the first boss in SSC exploded and raid lead checked the meter to see that I was something like 20% of the raid's entire damage dealt by myself, there was a hearty round of wtf. And thus, a legacy was begun.

Good times.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Saerrael

Seeing a tank generate 0 to a six digits number worth of threat in under 10 seconds and hear him go on Vent 'You may now DPS the fuck out of this boss.'
This would have been when tankadins were completely overpowered in quick agro gen, true, but he genned a lot more than would have been possible even then.
All the DPS that had Omen (and, back then, you had to have it, or you were toast after a few spells) were basically gasping.
I was on my hunter alt that time and put growl up to see the numbers.. *laughs*
Suffice to say I watched Omen a lot more than the dps chart that fight.

Chris Brady

Sorry, forgot that ZG, the original, was just before BC came.  ZG was he first Raid I ever got to do.  I even have the original Zin'Rohk that it used to drop.  I miss it and Kara.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Saerra on May 03, 2012, 06:16:08 PM
*laughs!* Oh god... I can recall bugs like that..
Also, pulling on those stairs? Not fun for your healers.

Engineering bomb in Scholo.. FUN to see all those mobs jump me from all directions.
(Was soloing, yup, and cleaning up before Darkmaster Gandling.)

And on 'not so wise soloing pulls';
SM Cathedral is linked ::)
*recalls seeing a lvl 70 biting the dust for a boost run*

Yeah.. just imagine how it felt.. your FIRST pull in the raid setting.. you hit the dancers..they come up.. then you HEAR the Curator say something..then STEPS through the wall with half his floor behind him.

Saerrael

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 04, 2012, 02:27:56 AM
Yeah.. just imagine how it felt.. your FIRST pull in the raid setting.. you hit the dancers..they come up.. then you HEAR the Curator say something..then STEPS through the wall with half his floor behind him.

*giggles*
I recall getting Moro there, too.. and all his little friends. God that place was so bugged..!

Aiden

ZG when it was a 20 man raid, a hunter dismissing his pet after it was infected with the Bloodlord's plague then unleashing it in IF's Ah and spreading the plague to ALL.

People dropping left and right was the funniest thing I ever saw!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Aiden on May 07, 2012, 09:54:52 AM
ZG when it was a 20 man raid, a hunter dismissing his pet after it was infected with the Bloodlord's plague then unleashing it in IF's Ah and spreading the plague to ALL.

People dropping left and right was the funniest thing I ever saw!

Not so much when you're a victim.  I was on deployment in Scily and logged on in IF for the first time in two months and died. And died. And died. Then rezzed from the graveyard to find out that a trio of asshats had cost me the only free weekend with my friends I'd have for eight months. 

Shjade

Yeah. Amusing as it is in theory, in practice it's pretty much large-scale griefing. Thus why Blizzard (eventually) fixed it.
◕/◕'s

TheGlyphstone

I didn't even have to click on the video - as soon as I saw 'Shade of Aran', the Flamewreath Mantra starting playing in my head. :D

Karazhan was probably the best raid Blizzard ever made, its only competition would be Ulduar.

Chris Brady

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 07, 2012, 01:29:48 PM
I didn't even have to click on the video - as soon as I saw 'Shade of Aran', the Flamewreath Mantra starting playing in my head. :D

Karazhan was probably the best raid Blizzard ever made, its only competition would be Ulduar.

Agreed.

For just basic instances I'd have to say that most of BC's nailed it.  They were challenging, but they were fun, and they didn't favor ranged characters.  Looking at you Tol'Vir...  Hell most of the Uldum instances pretty much suck.

Shjade

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 08, 2012, 03:03:23 AM
Agreed.

For just basic instances I'd have to say that most of BC's nailed it.

Yeah. There are always people who say "X was the best of Y game, everything after that was downhill," but when it comes to WoW, I have to say BC was probably my favorite period, at least in terms of instances and raids. After that, eh...

The worst part is that I actually liked how they changed the WORLD stuff in later expansions. BC's outland zones were just...wtf. Giant shrooms? Flying manta ray bosses? War of the Worlds pseudo-crustacean things out of nowhere? What? It was all over the place and never really gelled for me. LK's winter wasteland felt more atmospherically apropos by contrast...but the dungeons were worse. It was a problematic trade. :|

Semi-related, I was saddened when they lowered all the older content raids' gold drops. I liked farming out Karazhan solo and getting a tidy profit from the venture as a bonus. It's not like the couple hundred gold I'd make on a run there compared to the thousands of gold some people made every day on the auction house. Razzumfrazzum hmph.
◕/◕'s

Chris Brady

Would have been nice to keep the challenge and fun of BCs instances, with the lore and dare I say story of LK.  Bridenbrad still brings a tear to the eye.