Converting files for Kindle - Software suggestions

Started by Wistful Dream, February 18, 2012, 08:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wistful Dream

Hello :)

I have a few PDF and TXT file ebooks on my computer that I want to load onto my kindle and I've goggled a mobi converter but there are so many different ones so I was wondering if there were any suggestions lovely people on E could provide to use. Thanks!

Rinzler

Calibre Ebook management - it's free, and a list of supported and convertable formats can be found here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#what-formats-does-app-support-conversion-to-from

And this is where you can get Calibre from:http://calibre-ebook.com/about

Caeli

If you just want to do a quick-convert, you can actually email the file(s) as an attachment to your free Kindle email address and type CONVERT in the subject field. You will then receive the file via Whispernet on your Kindle in AZW format.

If you absolutely want MOBI, then I agree that Calibre is probably one of the most all-encompassing. It's the only one I've used, and it's fine for most simple PDFs, HTML files, and text files.

If you're converting some really complex PDFs (such as academic research articles), I would hesitate on converting them, as the formatting for footnotes and endnotes, etc. might be ruined. If you're just asking for simple PDFs, though, Calibre's conversion feature or Amazon's conversion feature should work fine.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Wistful Dream

At the moment its just novels so Calibre sounds wonderful :) Whispernet seems to charge each time you use it.

Thank you both!

Caeli

Whispernet doesn't charge when you use the free email address. Emphasis on free. I've probably emailed myself 100+ articles, papers, texts, and things through my free Kindle email. Never got charged a dime.

If you're worried about it, you can disable the charge option or lower your minimum to $0.00.

It should be _____@free.kindle.com.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Nadir

When you use the free email, your kindle has to be connected to wifi for it to start downloading, just so you know.

Lilias

There are also free online converters, like this or this. The PDF formatting will be broken, but the files will still be readable.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI