The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Started by Inkidu, January 11, 2011, 09:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

I'm having a blast with this playthrough. While some of the thrill of discovery is gone, I'm overall a lot happier with my character, and more conscious of my choices. Mainly, I've been holding back on blacksmithing, while getting enchanting high-ish. Playing on a higher difficulty setting also makes combat more exciting overall. I'm glad I have a shield. Also, the slow motion block perk and power bash are an awesome combination. Intentionally so, obviously, but still. I had the slow motion perk on my last character, who used a two-hander. It was useful for dancing away from power attacks, but bashing them in the teeth with a shield is so much more rewarding.

Tsenta

They'll probably patch minor graphical issues like that after they work on stability and gamebreaking issues.

My new daedric set is beastly. 1,400 armor, fortify archery 49% on four pieces, resist magic 23% on a ring and amulet....fortify health regen 30% and +70 health on the chest/armor.   I'm going to put fortify archery + fortify carry weight on my gloves, helmet has fortify archery and waterbreathing, on my boots I'm going Muffle and fortify carry weight.  I'm having a friggen hard time finding Muffle though.  My bow will be paralyze and soul trap.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Cold Heritage

There is one skeleton dragon you fight during the College of Winterhold questline. It's kinda like that.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Tsenta

I'd love to face off against more of those in tombs and burial grounds. Or even a few raised while trying to ping down a necromancer. Needless to say, I'm excited to see what the DLCs will hold.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Cold Heritage

Tsenta

Hah, that's become a big meme online.  I can't browse video game boards without someone making a reference.  I'm almost tempted to start using it RL but I doubt anyone would get the reference.   

"I used to be a store clerk like you until I took an arrow to the knee..."

Slywyn

Quote from: Tsenta on December 12, 2011, 06:20:47 PM
Hah, that's become a big meme online.  I can't browse video game boards without someone making a reference.  I'm almost tempted to start using it RL but I doubt anyone would get the reference.   

"I used to be a store clerk like you until I took an arrow to the knee..."

I do it at work all the time.

"I used to stock as fast as you, then I took an arrow to the knee..."

The funniest part is that I actually have knee problems, and I get people who go "IS THAT WHAT HAPPENED!?"
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Tsenta

ROFL, yeah sadly I'd only be able to do it to random people in public. I think EVERYONE needs to be a gamer, just so the memes can go off without a hitch.  >(

Hemingway

I used to be the Dragonborn, then I took an arrow in the knee.

That kinda sucked for everyone. Dragons ended up enslaving everyone. Yeah, so ... the moral of the story?

But aside from that bit of cleverness, it's getting kinda old.

consortium11

Quote from: Hemingway on December 11, 2011, 03:59:43 PM
For my new character, I turned up the difficulty, too. Fighting dragons is more challenging now, but ... am I the only person who thinks dragon fights were the most disappointing part of the game? You expect this epic duel where you have to time your attacks as the dragon swoops down and .. dodging its claws and whatnot. What you get instead is waiting for it to land then hacking at its head. Real interesting.

Absolutely.

Dragon's are the new Oblivion gates with the exception that you can't just run round them. The first few are exciting and every so often you have something cool happen but far too often it's a case of "yawn, killed another dragon today..."

Quote from: Shjade on December 09, 2011, 08:23:27 AM
You mean other than "Invisibility?"

It's either Adept or Expert-level Illusion. I forget which.

Chameleon (or at least the 100% Chameleon suit) was a ludicrously cheap version of invisibility in that it never wore off and could never be effected... you hit someone and you're still invisible, hit them again and you're still invisible, kill them and their friends will bump into you but run on by. The only things that could detect you were traps... notably the turrets in Oblivion but otherwise it was essentially god mode...

Samael

Quote from: Tsenta on December 12, 2011, 09:24:14 AM
I have the official guide, some 600+ pages and no mention of ghost dragons.  Though...that'd be kind of badass to fight dragon spirits before Alduin sticks them in corpses. Especially in like very old dragon nests or dungeons. Hell, I wouldn't mind fighting dragon zombies or raised dragon skeletons either! LET THE PETITION BEGIN!!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
You'll see one, and it's a badass moment.

Oh, and this is straight out beautiful: (and the girl's really cute)
‪The Dragonborn Comes - Skyrim Bard Song and Main Theme Female Cover‬
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Nadir

Shjade

Quote from: Cold Heritage on December 12, 2011, 06:18:26 PM
http://soundcloud.com/ramesesb/rameses-b-skyrim-in-the-knee

Forget where I found this, but I had to share it.
Granted I'm not a fan of dubstep, but I've heard good dubstep, or at least some that I thought was good.

This...doesn't qualify. Sounds like random sounds thrown together with Skyrim music and dialogue. Pretty low score even by "meh" standards.

Quote from: consortium11 on December 12, 2011, 08:17:37 PM
Chameleon (or at least the 100% Chameleon suit) was a ludicrously cheap version of invisibility in that it never wore off and could never be effected... you hit someone and you're still invisible, hit them again and you're still invisible, kill them and their friends will bump into you but run on by. The only things that could detect you were traps... notably the turrets in Oblivion but otherwise it was essentially god mode...
Sounds...fun? I guess? If you like NoTarget mode?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Hemingway

Quote from: consortium11 on December 12, 2011, 08:17:37 PM
Absolutely.

Dragon's are the new Oblivion gates with the exception that you can't just run round them. The first few are exciting and every so often you have something cool happen but far too often it's a case of "yawn, killed another dragon today..."

I wouldn't go so far as to say they're like the Oblivion gates. I mean, for one thing, you were basically forced to go through a lot of Oblivion gates. It's only mandatory to kill, what, three dragons? Dragons are also far shorter encounters than Oblivion gates, so even if it's repetetive, it doesn't drag on for ever like some of the Oblivion gates. Also, I still get a shiver of excitement when I come up on a dragon roost and the music kicks in. It's an epic moment, even if the combat itself sucks.

consortium11

Quote from: Shjade on December 13, 2011, 03:08:08 AM
Sounds...fun? I guess? If you like NoTarget mode?

It was fun for cheap laughs but because of the limited AI in Oblivion even those weren't great.

Quote from: Hemingway on December 13, 2011, 08:20:18 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say they're like the Oblivion gates. I mean, for one thing, you were basically forced to go through a lot of Oblivion gates. It's only mandatory to kill, what, three dragons? Dragons are also far shorter encounters than Oblivion gates, so even if it's repetetive, it doesn't drag on for ever like some of the Oblivion gates. Also, I still get a shiver of excitement when I come up on a dragon roost and the music kicks in. It's an epic moment, even if the combat itself sucks.

There were only what... two or three mandatory Oblivion gates weren't there (you didn't have to gather all those allies for Bruma)? Likewise, by the end each gate only took about five minutes to do as you learnt the layouts.

The issue is that both are simply too common. In Oblivion you'd stroll through the country side, find a gate, close it and 30 minutes later be forced to do the same thing. In Skyrim you stroll through the mountains, find a dragon, kill it and 30 minutes later be forced to do the same thing. Eventually it gets to the stage where things that should have been real "set pieces" become a chore. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Samael on December 12, 2011, 08:40:20 PM
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
You'll see one, and it's a badass moment.

Oh, and this is straight out beautiful: (and the girl's really cute)
‪The Dragonborn Comes - Skyrim Bard Song and Main Theme Female Cover‬
Jesus guys, I just posted that very same video LAST PAGE!  What the hell??

:P
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Shjade

Quote from: consortium11 on December 13, 2011, 09:47:17 AM
The issue is that both are simply too common. In Oblivion you'd stroll through the country side, find a gate, close it and 30 minutes later be forced to do the same thing. In Skyrim you stroll through the mountains, find a dragon, kill it and 30 minutes later be forced to do the same thing. Eventually it gets to the stage where things that should have been real "set pieces" become a chore. Familiarity breeds contempt.
Really? I rarely see dragons, myself. Maybe one every few hours.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Braioch

Quote from: Shjade on December 13, 2011, 12:58:18 PM
Really? I rarely see dragons, myself. Maybe one every few hours.

Yeah the past two days, having had nothing to do, I've played for like...12 hours...nah closer to 14 really (judge me not!) and I didn't run into one. Played for an hour earlier and ran into three, two of which were in Dawnstar at different times.

-shrug-
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Slywyn

Quote from: Braioch on December 13, 2011, 01:51:35 PM
Yeah the past two days, having had nothing to do, I've played for like...12 hours...nah closer to 14 really (judge me not!) and I didn't run into one. Played for an hour earlier and ran into three, two of which were in Dawnstar at different times.

-shrug-

Almost every time I fast travel to Dawnstar one spawns just outside.

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Cold Heritage

A lot of the times when I see a dragon they are just off in the distance circling and I have to go over there and start some shit and then me and the dragon are in a fight.

Braioch

Until I invested in some Destruction magic I usually was stuck standing on the ground watching them circle, yelling insults about their heritage in the hopes it brought them down.
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Slywyn

That's why Dragonrend is teh ossim.

Braioch

Yes well....

When you're not doing the main questline right away, you're resorted to 'yo momma' jokes to lure them down.

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Slywyn

Yo momma was so ugly, they didn't even make a purse outta her! They just threw that shit away!

Braioch

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]