Poll: Govt regulation of the economy

Started by Skynet, November 10, 2012, 03:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Love And Submission

Quote from: Elias on November 11, 2012, 10:40:23 PM
What you need is an educated populace and no government in the economy at all. Private watchdog groups have already proven to be more effective then government agencies because their passion exists on a personal level the government agency are just bureaucrats, unreliable. We do not need unions anymore because their existence only mattered when the working populace couldn't read or write the population were made to be stupid.

We are in the age of social media, we do not need to rely on any of the major television networks which can be bought and sold, we do not need to rely on anyone because information is at our fingertips in seconds and if anyone is fooled its really their own fault because everything is there good and bad, and every level of belief system from Jihadist to Green party, Libertarian to communist.

The only necessary job of a federal government is Foreign policy (Trade, military matters, etc) and maintaining a national police force to handle cross state border issues.

All social issues should be left up to communities or state government, healthcare as well, I will concede that perhaps a federal umbrella could be provided for catastrophic care.

Business is not the enemy of the people they will do whatever it takes for the bottom line and while many see that as evil I see it as opposite, a poor America doesn't buy their products, a business that doesn't look after its workers will have their most talented taken away by another company or the average citizen will turn its back on them and they will go out of business. We don't need government regulation, we don't need government control.

Yeah I completely disagree with that and am simply amazed people still fell that way.
I understand  that's it's been a while but Martin Luther King Jr. really proved that leaving Business to their own devices without government interference is a terrible idea that will only demean and subjugate certain members of the populace.

I realize you could try to fight against evil people like with word of mouth but again pretty sure MLK JR. showed that wouldn't work and that you do need government interference to keep America good and kind.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

TheGlyphstone

What does MLK have to do with business regulation? Slavery may have been ultimately rooted in economics, but by the time of the Civil Rights movement, racism was 100% socially motivated, economics had nothing to do with it. In fact, it would have been firmly in the interest of those businesses to be pro-civil-rights, because it would vastly increase their market+customer base, but they made economically infeasible decisions due to social factors.

Skynet

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 05, 2012, 12:24:25 PM
What does MLK have to do with business regulation? Slavery may have been ultimately rooted in economics, but by the time of the Civil Rights movement, racism was 100% socially motivated, economics had nothing to do with it. In fact, it would have been firmly in the interest of those businesses to be pro-civil-rights, because it would vastly increase their market+customer base, but they made economically infeasible decisions due to social factors.

Well, this is a long explanation: the 1964 Civil Rights Act prevents private businesses from refusing to sell and serve people of a certain race.  Same for refusing to hire them.  Many Libertarians and Republicans believe that this is violating the business owner's right to hire who he wants.  They believe that the free market would take care of things by giving the business owner bad publicity.  They opposed (and some still continue to oppose) this, viewing it as the federal government violating state sovereignty.

This doesn't match up with reality.  If a business chose to serve whites and blacks in the 60s Jim Crow South, their establishment would get dynamited by the Klan.  African-Americans were pretty much barred from using all vital public facilities, and the governments did not spend tax dollars on the "colored" facilities; restrooms and building rooms reserved for black people were decrepit and in serious disrepair.  They were restricted to jobs of backbreaking, menial labor such as cotton picking, not making enough money to survive.  Many black people had to live off the land, so to speak, since they couldn't pay to regularly upkeep their homes.  And African-Americans still had to pay taxes to the State Government, governments which neither protected them nor cared about their rights.

Racism exerted itself as both social and economic oppression.

I'd recommend reading Walking With the Wind: A Memoir of the Movement.  It is written by John Lewis, a member of the civil rights group SNCC (Student Non-Violence Coordinating Committee).  His autobiography does a great job of laying out what it was like to grow up in the Deep South, examined the multiple facets and factions of the Civil Rights Movement, the political climate at the time, and shows us how much progress we have made since those troubled times.

TheGlyphstone

It was definitely economic oppression, I was only questioning the notion that it was economically motivated. The economic effects were a side effect of the social oppression.

RubySlippers

I believe is a strong government hand in major industries, more than we have now but leaving alone small enterprises not vital to the national interest.