L5R: The Jade Empress

Started by KunoichiRogue5, December 28, 2009, 09:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KunoichiRogue5

For those that don't know how to play I'll post up the info to make a character later. For now this is just an interest check to see what people would be up for whatever.

For those that don't know Legend of the Five Rings(L5R) is a tabletop RPG that takes place in a world similar to Feudal Japan, with other mideval asian countries mixed in. There are politicians, samurai, shugenja(spell casters/healers) and such.

The Great Clans:

Crab
Crane
Dragon
Lion
Mantis
Phoenix
Scorpion
Spider/Shadowlands
Unicorn

I'm just looking for people who know how to play it, in my own storyline. I look forward to seeing what you're all up for. For people that don't know how to play I'll explain the rules later.
"You will obey the darkness, and aid your new master."
-Daigotsu

O/Os

Kolbrandr

Any idea on what sort of campaign you'd like to run? Wandering starting samurai fresh from gempukku? High scale political intrigue? War? Mystical supernatural themed?

I really like L5R (well, the current direction of the plot hasn't thrilled me), entirely familliar with the system. I'm interested at the chance to play, as far as it goes.

KunoichiRogue5

Well the thought is mostly based on the plot itself. I hope to have high scale war battles, one on one duels, wandering samurai, and so on. I would prefer that everyone start right after their Gempukku(adulthood) Ceremony. They are slowly drawn into an interwoven story that forces them against one another, then unites them. Or rather something like that. I have many details already worked out and others that change depending on what's available.

But I welcome all forms of characters, Bushi, Shugenja, Courtiers, Monks, etc. Hell I'll even allow Gaijin to be used. Gaijin=people from the western kingdoms.
-Daigotsu

O/Os

Anathanasia

Colour me interested, at least in learning more. It's been ages, and I've no idea about current storyline, but I've got a core rulebook hidden around here somewhere...I do love the setting, and there's just so much potential for an erotic game in L5R. Please, tell me more!

What are we talking content wise, as in, what board are you aiming to put it on, Kun? My preference is always for NC-Ex, but so long as it stays in the NC I'm pretty good.

I know, I know, straight to 'what kinda sex is it gonna have?', but it's that, and I'm sure most would agree, it's a dealbreaker. I'm just not interested in a vanilla game, y'know? Besides, what's a medieval Japan inspired setting gonna do on Elli if it's not gonna have a heavy hentai influence? ;)

Aside from that, what are you expecting the players to be? Generally speaking, very generally, good guys or bad guys? Or are we just going to be more complicated than that?
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

HairyHeretic

You should be able to get some decent interest. Muse has an L5R game running at the moment, and I ran the Night of a Thousand Screams a while back, as a prelude to the City of Lies campaign.

I would have to say that L5R and hentai definitely wouldn't mix, unless you were running a half parody game.

Where in the timeline would you be setting this?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

KunoichiRogue5

The timeline itself is actually an alternate reality. At one point history changed, and the entire empire was changed for it. Nearly anyone who's played are aware of the Day of Thunder. If I had to compare it to anything it would be the 1000 years of darkness campaign setting. The Thunders(Champions from each clan) failed and Fu Leng's influence spread across the empire. Most of the great clans are in ruins, though the Crane, Lion, and Phoenix are still intact. Just corrupted serving the current emperor, Daigotsu.

Now don't get me wrong this isn't the entire story for it. I have a lot of things that will be revealed to the players as the game goes. And I'm still altering a few things and so on.

Now onto the sex question. I was thinking Exotic. Because while I respect those that only want vanilla situations, which I will happily allow, I want people to live out fantasies. I have ideas for literally ranging from tentacle rape, to rape by undead, to mind control through Taint, to other things. I wont demand that people get involved with something. When it comes to sexual things in games I run, I want people to get exactly what they desire out of it.

As for what the players are to be. I literally leave that up to the players. I am even willing to allow players to play oni if they choose to. Note the Spider/Shadowlands clan option. Depending on what people want I may or may not change the main idea for the plot that I have. I want to build a plot based, mostly around what we have. We may end up just doing the 1000 years of darkness. But we might end up doing something else.

If we have a team of all Samurai, while that will make it difficult in some situations when diplomacy is the thing required, but then again Samurai can be capable diplomats.  A team of all monks would make other things difficult. It's all going to depend on what YOU, the players, want to be!
-Daigotsu

O/Os

Kolbrandr

Ah, damn, no monkey clan then eh? I'm sort of partial to them. You're prefering a pick from one of the great clans, or a ronin?

KunoichiRogue5

You can be any clan you want. Any at all. I just didn't list the minor ones. I have to find my book to do that.
-Daigotsu

O/Os

Kolbrandr

Well, if the day of thunder crapped out, certain clans that formed in the aftermath in the main timeline wouldn't likely exist, and certain clans that dissolved in the aftermath probably still would, is what I'm saying. (The Wasp would probably not be absorbed into the Mantis, the Monkey would have never formed, etc.)

Which, that's fine, just needed to clarify what was going on.

rancorius

this looks fun(i have never played L5R but I have the book for and always wanted to do it)

KunoichiRogue5

Not quite true about the clans. Just because they wont come to be the way they DID come to be, doesn't mean they wont exist.
-Daigotsu

O/Os

Kolbrandr

Ah, sure. Maybe some more setting details then?

Drivestort

OMGOMGOMG! I wanna play! I even have an already made Scorpion Shugenja, if that helps any.

Paladin

Quote from: KunoichiRogue5 on December 28, 2009, 10:33:41 PM
Well the thought is mostly based on the plot itself. I hope to have high scale war battles, one on one duels, wandering samurai, and so on. I would prefer that everyone start right after their Gempukku(adulthood) Ceremony. They are slowly drawn into an interwoven story that forces them against one another, then unites them. Or rather something like that. I have many details already worked out and others that change depending on what's available.

But I welcome all forms of characters, Bushi, Shugenja, Courtiers, Monks, etc. Hell I'll even allow Gaijin to be used. Gaijin=people from the western kingdoms.

Dangit, you allow Giajin. I have Burning Sands back at my apartment. They are the Gijin's everyone talks about. I'd love to play one of them but I may just do my usual Dragon. not sure yet if I will play though.

Phaia

This idea sounds very interesting, I do not have of the books but know the world of L5R , from both the card game [an ex boyfriend taught me] and from the first rpg.

I can a couple of ideas and even a image in mind

Phaia

KunoichiRogue5

I welcome all to the fall of Rokugan. Come before me and stop me if you can. But I doubt any of my plans will be stopped by you all. Anyone wanting to play the character sheet

(Image if you want)
Name:    Player:
School:   Honor:
Glory:     Status
EXP/CP:

TN to be hit: Ref(x5) + Armor + other bonuses

Earth: 2                 Water: 2              Fire: 2             Air: 2               Void: 2
Sta: 2 | Will: 2     Str: 2 | Per: 2   Agi: 2 | Int: 2    Ref: 2 | Awa: 2

Increasing Rings: Characters may improve traints beyond the bonuses received from family and school bonuses. Increasing a trait reuires X points. X= 4xthe current number. Example: To increase your Stamina from 2 to 3 costs 12 points. 12= 4x3. From 3 to for is another 16 points. 16= 4x4, and so on. Void works just like the others except it is the only ring you increase directly. Any given trait may only be increased by 2 levels(Family and school bonuses do not count toward this.

Advantages/Disadvantages:
If you need these PM me and I'll get you a list.

Skills:
Skills can be increased by character points. They cost 1 point to buy(free if you get them from your school). To increase a skill a rank you must pay the next rank in points. To purchase a skill at level 3 you must pay 6 points. 1 point to get the skill, 2 points to pay for rank 2, and another 3 points to increase to level 3.

Skills may be increased by 2 ranks beyond starting rank durring the character creation. if you don't get it through your school you cannot go higher than level 3. The only exception is if you take the same skill multiple times through your school. Example: If you have Ettiquete and an extra High Skill from your school you can use your extra high skill to purchase an additional rank in Ettiquet bringing it to rank 2 then buy rank 3 and then 4.

If you need these PM me and I'll get you a list.

Kata/Spells/Techniques;

Weapon(s):

Armor:

Items:

Background:

Everyone has 45 points to start. Disadvantages will give up to 10 points as per the book. Ronin can get up to a total of 70 points, without a school.

Anyone wanting special details for something just ask and I'll explain it to you.

Story: rather than the 1k years of Darkness...

The current Emperor: Mitarashi Zaraki

It has been a time of peace in the empire. Mitarashi Zaraki took it upon himself to settle disputes between the clans themselves, not giving room for anyone to wage war upon one another. His daughter Mitarashi Tsuruko has been taken. Among those taking the princess the emblems of Lion, Crane, and Dragon were seen on the attackers. Representatives of both Lion, Crane, and Dragon have all denied anything. The emperor has offered rewards to any that bring his daughter to him regardless of their current station.

This is the opening of our game here. For now we will leave history unaltered and go 100 years into the future.
-Daigotsu

O/Os

Phaia

Darn now i have to rethink a character idea...had for for a darkness story

I am trying to gain access to the books hopefully by first of the week i can borrow some copys

Phaia

KunoichiRogue5

Who said darkness didn't exist? Spider Clan DOES exist in this time. And of course, is the shadowlands hand in the empire.
-Daigotsu

O/Os

Kolbrandr

Could you explain the nature of various of how these clans exist and in what manner they do so then?

HairyHeretic

If it might be of use to anyone, the revised 3rd ed rulebook is on rpgnow.com at the moment for $10. I'm not sure how long that's going to stay at that price, but it might be useful to people.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Paladin

Since I don't have all my books here I will just sit this game out. sorry to have bothered you.

KunoichiRogue5

Quote from: Kolbrandr on January 01, 2010, 04:33:52 PM
Could you explain the nature of various of how these clans exist and in what manner they do so then?

The Spider clan?

They are a hidden hand of Jigoku and the Shadowlands in the empire. The Lost. They came into existance in the same way they did before. Through the empire many villages were attacked by bandits, hired by the Lost. Shortly after the attacks, men in black kimonos carrying the banner of the Spider Clan came forth and slaughtered the bandits. Time and again this happened. Eventually the emperor took notice of their actions and called the mercenary leader forth. There they were clan status and the family name Tsugaido(For anyone not noticing this is a reworking of Daigotsu). Their shere numbers let them rise to the ranks of the great clans.

All the Shadowlands family/orders are usable by the Spider.

Spider follow all the rules of the Shadowlands when it comes to school/family bonues.
-Daigotsu

O/Os

KunoichiRogue5

Well now, it seems we already have our first character! A Scorpion Shugenja!
-Daigotsu

O/Os

Drivestort

Kolbrandr

Quote from: KunoichiRogue5 on January 01, 2010, 09:00:31 PM
The Spider clan?

They are a hidden hand of Jigoku and the Shadowlands in the empire. The Lost. They came into existance in the same way they did before. Through the empire many villages were attacked by bandits, hired by the Lost. Shortly after the attacks, men in black kimonos carrying the banner of the Spider Clan came forth and slaughtered the bandits. Time and again this happened. Eventually the emperor took notice of their actions and called the mercenary leader forth. There they were clan status and the family name Tsugaido(For anyone not noticing this is a reworking of Daigotsu). Their shere numbers let them rise to the ranks of the great clans.

All the Shadowlands family/orders are usable by the Spider.

Spider follow all the rules of the Shadowlands when it comes to school/family bonues.

Okay, to put it differently.. what is the timeline on this setting like?

the Thunders lose the second day of Thunder, Fu Leng wins, and what is inbetween there to who currently sits on the throne and this princess bit?