The Power (2nd Reboot)

Started by Yukina, April 11, 2018, 03:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yukina

OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285829.0
Character Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285848.0
IC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285928.0

Back when I was still new to Elliquiy, there was a wonderful reboot of a game called "The Power". I see no reason not to resurrect it again and thus I was looking for a better host than myself. :) However, I really want to play and it doesn't really require much gming, so I'll host it.

To quote the original thread of the early reboot for the rules:

Quote from: Sethala on January 20, 2014, 02:32:50 PM
The gist of the game is simple: one person has the power, and has to give dares to the other players to complete.  Whoever's brave enough to finish a dare gets the power next and can use it to change something (more on that later), and then gets to decide who gets dares.  This being Elliquiy, the dares can (and probably will) run much more towards the sexual side of things.

More details on the rules:

One player begins the game with the Power, but cannot use it for a special ability.  The other players must ask the player with the Power to get a dare, and the Power player must give everyone who asks a dare.  The dares can be the same, or each person can get their own dare, but everyone must get a dare.  Dares can include promises, but those promises are only binding until the Power passes again.  Once someone finishes a dare, all other dares are removed, although the new owner of the Power can give the same dares out.

Once you get the Power from finishing a dare, you can do one of three things: change the environment, change yourself, or make a special item.

Changing the environment: The game starts in a large, open warehouse, with a few ceiling lights but nothing else noteworthy.  Changing the environment can do just about anything you can think of, from just adding new furniture to the place, to completely changing the location (perhaps we'll end up on a beach, or in a cave...).  There are a few limits, however: first, there can't be anything alive or otherwise active aside from the players.  There won't be snakes in a jungle (though trees are fine), for instance.  Second, the technology level is mundane modern-world stuff.  You can have something from ancient times, but nothing futuristic; a laser gun will just make noises and have flashing lights, although the environment could end up like a sci-fi movie set.  Note that when you pick this option, you can change any details that were changed or added by a previous player, but you cannot use it to remove special items created by a player.

Change yourself: You can change any physical characteristics of your own character.  You can't develop any kind of superhuman abilities, but non-human changes (such as growing extra arms, turning into an elf or catgirl, and so on) are fine.

Create an item: You can create a single item or set of related items with special (potentially magical) abilities.  These can do almost anything you want, from candies that make someone shrink or grow, to glasses that let you see through walls, or whatever else you can think of.  However, there are a few rules.  First, it must be simple to describe; it shouldn't require someone playing out the item as if it were a separate character, and the entirety of what it does should be describable in 3-4 sentences.  It should function similarly on everyone, though differences based on the user's gender is allowed, as is differences for how it's used, so long as it can still be fully described in a few sentences.  Finally, if the item is supposed to be consumed or otherwise used up, it can only be used six times (so if you make shrinking candy, you only get six pieces of it to give out, and will have to get the Power again to get more).  The same applies if the item has permanent or long-lasting effects (such as a belt that permanently changes the wearer's gender, even after being removed).  Note that while you need to describe what the item does out of character, the other characters don't necessarily know what it does unless you tell them.

Character sheet: Note that all players begin the game as an ordinary human, with the option of changing by using the Power.

Name:

Appearance:
Personality:

Non-con (Never, Only if asked OOC, Ok, Ok if...):
Limits:

I'm considering adding these in as extra, optional rules, depending on what people want.

Blind dares: Normally, dares are entirely consensual; the person asking for a dare can decide whether or not to complete the dare, and there's no penalty (beyond not getting the Power) to declining a dare.  With this rule, players can ask for a blind dare instead.  When a blind dare is asked for, no more dares can be given out (although already-given dares can still be completed), and the person asking for a blind dare is required and compelled to complete the dare.  The dare should avoid anything the player listed as "offs" in the character sheet, but beyond that there's no need to ask the character what they're willing to do.  Blind dares have two main limits that normal dares don't have: the dare cannot specify how the player uses the Power once they get it and cannot specify how that player gives out dares, and it should be something that can be completed in about 10 minutes (in-character time) or less.  Blind dare promises are no more binding than normal dare promises; only until the power passes again.

No identical dares: Whenever the power passes, everyone's dare must be different from any other dare they received since they last had the Power, unless the player asks for a repeated dare from earlier.  As always, the player with the Power has final say on which dares are given out, but must still give a dare to each person that asks for one.  If the first dare is declined, they still have the option to issue more dares, but only the first dare is required to be different.

Destroying items: A fourth option for the Power is destroying special items made by other players.  I'm not sure what kind of limits would be on this power, likely only allowing two or three items to be destroyed, and not allowing you to destroy new items (something like, the last three items made with the power can't be destroyed).  This rule is mostly so that we don't end up with a completely crazy game once several items are made with the Power, but I'm still iffy about doing it this way.

Changing others: When using the power, instead of changing yourself, you can change another player.  Even if this rule is chosen, you MUST give OOC permission before anyone can use it on you.  IC permission isn't required, however.  Note that even if we don't have this rule, special items can be used to accomplish similar effects to whoever uses them.

subrob99

I remember playing in this long ago. Count me in if it takes off

Yukina

Glad to hear it, Subrob and Kathryn. :) Feel free to make your sheets in the meanwhile. I'll wait till tomorrow or Saturday to see if any others join and then I will start making the official threads. I'll just start with an OOC for now, but I'll make the Character thread upon seeing the first sheet and the IC after the upcoming deadline. They'll be in the Extreme section just to be safe, though extreme depths of kinks are not required.

OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285829.0

Sethala

Oh hey, this is becoming a thing again!  Nice!

Amusingly, the original version was one of my first games on E, as well, so it kind of has a special place in my heart.  So yeah, I'm definitely interested in playing again.

Hopefully my original rules weren't too confusing.  I don't think I've got the time to run as full GM, but I can certainly help explain my thought process behind things if there's any confusion.

Yukina

Welcome aboard, Sethala. Glad to have you here. :)

Peanuts

Hmm, this sounds interesting, but I think I'd like a bit more information... Like how did our characters end up in this strange game? is there some kind of win condition? what happens after it ends? or are we just going to be living together in this weird world of the power forever? Basically any additional information about why our characters might be doing this thing and the consequences of it :)
If I haven't posted in a day or two check here, maybe harrass me a bit if there isn't a post :p

Haven't got an On/Offs thread, so check my RP preferences instead.

Yukina

Quote from: Peanuts on April 15, 2018, 08:08:45 PM
Hmm, this sounds interesting, but I think I'd like a bit more information... Like how did our characters end up in this strange game? is there some kind of win condition? what happens after it ends? or are we just going to be living together in this weird world of the power forever? Basically any additional information about why our characters might be doing this thing and the consequences of it :)

Not a problem. :)

The players end upon stumbling into the game by random chance and are isolated with the group in what starts as a warehouse by the way of the next doorway they pass through suddenly being engulfed in a blinding light. Everyone is pretty much stuck there. Most of the characters are motivated by the capabilities they can possibly gain and their own desires.

Peanuts

So upon being transported to the warehouse they are given the rules and that's it? I feel like this would be a bit more interesting if there were some way to become the 'winner' as it were, something to give the whole thing more of a direction, some sort of prize perhaps? I mean changing yourself into whatever you want and gaining a bunch of magic items is cool, but at some point the novelty is going to wear off and you're just going to be stuck in this strange realm with a bunch of strangers with no way out.

I could see it either a dominance kind of thing (the winner is chosen by a unanimous vote of the players), or... something else :P But whatever the condition the winner gets the power permanently and gets more freedom of the changes they can make? Maybe they can then invite new players to join another round of the game where they get to act as a supervisor or something?

Just some thoughts anyway, I'll see about what kind of player I want. Do you have any preference for real or drawn picture references?
If I haven't posted in a day or two check here, maybe harrass me a bit if there isn't a post :p

Haven't got an On/Offs thread, so check my RP preferences instead.

Yukina

We could maybe discuss this in the ooc, but otherwise the game is very loose and casual.

As for pictures, we already have players using both types, so either is fine. :)

Kathyan

Quote from: Yugishogun on April 15, 2018, 08:33:32 PM
As for pictures, we already have players using both types, so either is fine. :)
Do we? so far everyone is using real pictures

Although I guess that's likely to change once transformations begin

Quote from: Peanuts on April 15, 2018, 08:27:12 PM
So upon being transported to the warehouse they are given the rules and that's it? I feel like this would be a bit more interesting if there were some way to become the 'winner' as it were, something to give the whole thing more of a direction, some sort of prize perhaps? I mean changing yourself into whatever you want and gaining a bunch of magic items is cool, but at some point the novelty is going to wear off and you're just going to be stuck in this strange realm with a bunch of strangers with no way out.

I could see it either a dominance kind of thing (the winner is chosen by a unanimous vote of the players), or... something else :P But whatever the condition the winner gets the power permanently and gets more freedom of the changes they can make? Maybe they can then invite new players to join another round of the game where they get to act as a supervisor or something?

Just some thoughts anyway, I'll see about what kind of player I want. Do you have any preference for real or drawn picture references?
But having this aim for an eventual winner seems like a good idea.

Quick thought: since this makes me remember gantz in some way maybe go for a 100 points, whoever reaches that is the winner. And how do we get points, I was thinking whoever wins a dare gets a point but then I thought since we can only choose one option when we win a dare why not earn two points for winning a dare, we could choose to store those 2 points or to choose up to two changes from the options given for winning, while the most usual thing would be to save 1 point and to choose one change some could choose to try to stay within the game and gain further power within it and other might want to try to get out by accumulating points still 50 dares sounds like a hard thing, maybe I'm rambling too much ^^ but how does all this sounds?

Yukina

Quote from: Kathyan on April 16, 2018, 12:07:44 AM
Quick thought: since this makes me remember gantz in some way maybe go for a 100 points, whoever reaches that is the winner. And how do we get points, I was thinking whoever wins a dare gets a point but then I thought since we can only choose one option when we win a dare why not earn two points for winning a dare, we could choose to store those 2 points or to choose up to two changes from the options given for winning, while the most usual thing would be to save 1 point and to choose one change some could choose to try to stay within the game and gain further power within it and other might want to try to get out by accumulating points still 50 dares sounds like a hard thing, maybe I'm rambling too much ^^ but how does all this sounds?

Sounds fine. But nonetheless, I would like planning to be kept to the OOC since this thread is primarily for recruitment.

jeflint

Transformative stuff is my sorta thing.

I actually had an idea for transform or dare.

If you need lab rats let me know. ❤️

Jan's General Info, The F-List , On’s & Offs, absenteeism & BB Color Codes

Yukina

Quote from: jeflint on May 01, 2018, 08:41:31 AM
Transformative stuff is my sorta thing.

I actually had an idea for transform or dare.

If you need lab rats let me know. ❤️

Feel free to make a sheet then. The design of the game allows easily for people to pop in. :)