Trump

Started by Vekseid, February 01, 2017, 02:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHangedOne

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised. Actual treason like that should be punished with death (preferably by hanging), but at best, I expect he'll get a slap on the wrist, and told he's been a naughty boy, and that's it.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

RedEve

With all of the talk about voter fraud, perhaps there should be more attention to this kind of nonsense? That is Rep. Jim Jordan's extremely gerrymandered district.

I really don't understand how this idiocy is tolerated.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Regina Minx

Quote from: RedEve on August 01, 2020, 08:46:36 AM

With all of the talk about voter fraud, perhaps there should be more attention to this kind of nonsense? That is Rep. Jim Jordan's extremely gerrymandered district.

Because Republicans had a big electoral year in 2010, the year that district maps were last redrawn, and with control of the majority of state legislatures were able to gerrymander in the extreme.

gaggedLouise

Now I understand why some house members are able to sit for decades and are almost impossible to unseat: if their party is in control of their home state then they can have their districts "optimized" for them, several times over! :)

Of course this stuff shouldn't be in the hands of individual state senates.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

RedEve

From my outside perspective, all of this is crazy. Gerrymandering, the closing of polling stations so that the few remaining ones have waiting lines that stretch for hours, ...

It's hard to think of less democratic practices.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Callie Del Noire

Allow me to introduce you to the 4th, 12th and 13th districts of North Carolina, the 4th district literally wiggles a couple hundred yards from what my parents live (very white middle/middle upper and upper class) homes while following from Charlotte along the highway all the way to the lower class/lower middle class sections of Winston Salem.

And this isn’t the most egregious zoning I’ve seen.. When I lived in California (San Diego) while serving there was a district (not sure if is was SD, SF or LA-adjectent) but the district danced all the way down to a 200 yard length of beach property (A pier and 2 blocks of businesses) and then rippled back around a lower income area.

CrownedSun

Quote from: TheHangedMan on August 01, 2020, 07:36:36 AM
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised. Actual treason like that should be punished with death (preferably by hanging), but at best, I expect he'll get a slap on the wrist, and told he's been a naughty boy, and that's it.

I'll admit, this didn't even surprise me. We knew that the Trump Admin was diverting medical supplies to red state and ignoring the needs of blue states. Even the NEWS was covering that.

TheGlyphstone

So yeah, literally nothing will happen because of this. It'll cause outrage, then WH and GOP will deny it as Fake News, and by next week there will be a new scandalous reveal of something else.

Oniya

http://www.paaflcio.org/?p=9774

Let me introduce you to PA-7.  We had to have the State Supreme Court step in to do redistricting ahead of the 2018 elections.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Haibane

Quote from: Aiden on July 30, 2020, 01:40:31 PM
He don't want to go to jail after November.

I'm British as many of you know but find myself paying more attention to what Trump says and does than I do to Boris.

At first it was a joke but now its just awful. A tragedy of the most awful proportions. The man is unfit to run a decent sized company, let alone one of the most powerful nations on the planet. And what's most scary is that what he does not only affects Americans - a tragedy big enough - but his actions affect the planet, they affect me personally.

I can only hope that November consigns him to history and while I very rarely wish bad things on anyone I do relish the avalanche of lawsuits that will land on his door mat the day after he's no longer the president.

Beguile's Mistress

It's my hope that the horrible turn our country has taken and the ravages in healthcare, jobs, and the economy motivate voters to remove Trump, his family and their cronies from any sort of power in November.  Each we come closer to becoming the worst country on earth.``

Haibane

Quote from: Orval Wintermute on July 31, 2020, 11:11:28 AM
Yes because things I've seen happen are directly comparable with absolute nonsense you've made up about tacos.  ::)

There are two "problems" with the Asian communities, firstly they vote as a block. Which actually is a pretty good tactic for any minority wanting to gain influence but is also very divisive and corrupting as the party that gains the Asian vote is seen as being held hostage by them. The second problem is that there is still a very strong patriarchal side to that community, so if someone tells you how to vote but you can in private then what they say really doesn't matter it's still your choice. But if the ballot comes through the post and is held by the head of household and you are force to fill it out in front of them, what choice do you have? Or as has happened on several occasions where the police were able to bring criminal charges that factories had been set up to collect unsealed ballots to check that people were voting the right way.

Beyond that type of industrial level fraud, the same problem will apply to anyone with a controlling partner. It will be up to the controlling partner how votes are cast or if they are cast at all, and it would never show up as voter fraud because who's going to report it?

So don't say it doesn't happen because it does. You wouldn't believe some of the ballot papers I saw at the count that had obviously been altered but weren't discarded because the officials could prove how or when they'd been altered. Anyone who believes that all mail-in ballots are some kind of magic bullet is utterly clueless.
Surely this is not an issue with postal voting but an issue with some ethnic communities and their societal values and traditions. So the issue that needs to be tackled is to change that. Yes, I realise that is not at all easy but it is the problem rather than saying that postal voting is the problem.

Also:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53353404

Oniya

If anyone wishes to continue that topic, they can start a new thread.  I don't know that splitting off the posts would be an appropriate way to begin such a conversation.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

gaggedLouise

The news media won't be allowed in at the scaled-down GOP convention, where Trump is to be formally crowned as nominee.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53626546

Somehow I feel this isn't primarily for reasons of keeping up social distancing, but just as much in order to block any leaks and signs of disunity seeping out from the event...  ???

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

TheGlyphstone

They'll probably let Fox in anyways.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 02, 2020, 10:01:26 AM
They'll probably let Fox in anyways.

Or at least the chief propagandist Hannity

Oniya

So, apparently, this electoral flyer was sent out to Republican voters in PA:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EebRORBXoAAs3th?format=jpg&name=large

For those who don't want to click through, Trump was extolling the fact that Pennsylvania voters could vote in their own homes in the Republican Primary (which was June 2.)  Gee.  Guess he doesn't have a problem with mailing in your votes after all.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on August 02, 2020, 04:22:04 PM
So, apparently, this electoral flyer was sent out to Republican voters in PA:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EebRORBXoAAs3th?format=jpg&name=large

For those who don't want to click through, Trump was extolling the fact that Pennsylvania voters could vote in their own homes in the Republican Primary (which was June 2.)  Gee.  Guess he doesn't have a problem with mailing in your votes after all.

Why would you when you have no competition ?

TheHangedOne

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1289358246541553664 apparently, Trump thinks he was competing against Obama last time. I guess the stress of all that golfing is finally getting to him.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

CrownedSun

Quote from: TheHangedMan on August 02, 2020, 06:41:39 PM
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1289358246541553664 apparently, Trump thinks he was competing against Obama last time. I guess the stress of all that golfing is finally getting to him.

Remember, part of the Trump Doctrine is that Obama and his allies in the FBI were surveilling the Trump Campaign and trying to keep him from getting elected.

Despite the fact that he probably wouldn't have gotten elected if not for Comey.

Dice

Quote from: Oniya on August 02, 2020, 04:22:04 PM
He doesn't have an issue with mail voting now either. "Absentee" and "Mail in" are one and the same. His issue is needing a story to tell that doesn't end with "He lost because he is not a winner" and that's it.

I had a massive long talk with one of my play partners about Trump and she's really worried about the shit he will cause should he lose and refuse to leave. She's worried about war level shit. Me, I'm not bothered by what happens if he loses and refuses to leave, I am worried about what happens between the vote and the handover date.

That said, I myself wonder what would happen if he comes second... Sorry I meant "wins" again. I forgot you yanks give out participation trophies in the form of white houses to those who lose elections. Suits him that house, it's white. Anyhow, I debate in my own head if the damage he would do to the Republican Party is worth another 4 years of him. But I live in Australia, so I think this from afar. I'm sure if I was getting shot for taking photos in the street I would not be thinking this kind of thing.

Missy

It's really more like he's acid, and erodes everything he touches.

So yes, he would do a hell of a lot of damage to the Republican Party, but also America, more of the same we've been seeing with the economy and the public health crisis, our democratic institutions would be further eroded and we would see more of fascism we've been seeing in Portland, America's standing with the world would continue to decay and the global economy would suffer on account that it's exceedingly unlikely C19 will ever go away or come under control with Mr. Trump at the helm.

Basically reelecting Trump would be a death sentence for America and likely lots of other people would hurt too. Trumps is America's Nero.

Beguile's Mistress

Re-electing Trump would only give us four more years of fighting the devil in disguise to keep the integrity of our American values from falling into the gutter.  Trump is a loser as all the GOP who supports him by refusing to see his true nature.  The senators and congressman who would rather partner with him instead of the Democratic party will have to face their comeuppance some day and take their responsibility for the last four years.

It's time for all of us to vote whether we want to or not because the only way to get rid of him and his stranglehold on what is hurting this country and it's citizens is to get him of office and put this country on a more stable footing.

I've been reading the biography his niece has written and because of that and my own life history I'm beginning to understand where his evil has come from.  More of us need to tell him he is a loser so he hears that over everything else and never forgets it.