[Pathfinder] 2 High Fantasy Game Ideas

Started by Wintercat, June 17, 2013, 10:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EroticFantasyAuthor

Actually, now that you mention it, I believe Greyhawkian deities were those listed?

Foxfyr

Tavah Sunderfist, kinsman of the Naglashii tribe.
Level 5 Human Barbarian Fighter

Appearance:
Tavah's olive skinned frame almost looks slender due to his height when contrasted to his muscular physique that favors functionality over bulk.  His hair, dark brown locks that almost looks black, is usually so tousled by the wind that it naturally assumed a wildly spiked style.  These darker features only serve to accent his deep emerald green eyes.

It is easy to see that Tavah wasn't raised in a civilized society simply by looking at his garments.  A tan hide tunic, leggings, and leather wrapped boots are all generously trimmed with the same golden-brown fur that makes up his cape; which is probably what one would expect of a barbarian and he sees no reason to reject his attire simply because it follows a stereotype.  Though, this is probably less eye-catching than the large sword that is nearly as tall as him, substantially wider than any typical sword, and seemingly too unwieldy for practical use for just about anybody.  This weapon is Tavah's most prized possession, having been the symbol of his family's status among his tribe as elite warriors and titan slayers for generations. 

Personality:
While he may not be intelligent by civilized society standards, he certainly isn't daft.  Tavah's knowledge stems from living in the most harsh and unforgiving mountaintops the land has to offer where common sense and insight is much more essential than what one can study from a book.  In general, his interactions with people tend to be rather binary with only a few degrees between lighthearted playfulness with those he is fond of and overt loathing to those he is not.  The quickest way to fall into the former group is a tankard of alcohol, a vice of his that he often partakes of so long as there is no reason not to.

History:
From a young age Tavah was raised by his aunt and uncle after his parents had fallen victim to an avalanche while hunting.  Such a thing was hardly unheard of among the dangerous mountains in which his tribe resided and was simply one of the many perils he and his kinsmen must endure for the sake of survival.  Still, the Sunderfist clan was a prosperous one and Tavah was never short of family members who sought to raise him, but it was his half-elf aunt and uncle who took primary custody of the infant.  It was through this barbaric community that he learned how to provide for himself as well as the group along with the means to protect it.

The Sunderfist clan is unique in that its totem weapon is in the form of over-sized weapons that are designed to fell even the largest of creatures that resided in those mountains in a single blow.  Training with these weapons require great strength and endurance to use them with any measure of efficiency, but through implacable determination Tavah was able to become skilled with this signature blade.

Then came Tavah's 25th birthday.  A milestone among every adult within his clan in which they set forth and venture into the world beyond their mountaintop homeland to see what wonders and glory they can attain for both their clan and their tribe.  This was also the day that his uncle gifted him with his father's sword that had been passed down to the eldest male of his family for countless generations.  Despite its old age and very regular use, the sword remains as pristine as the day it was first forged and it is fabled that its edge is sharp enough to cut the gods themselves.  With treasured weapon slung over his back and what few items he had managed to gather over his lifetime, Tavah set out to see the vast world that awaited him and see what sort of name he could make for himself before returning to his village.

Wintercat

Looking good, I think we've got a fair share of characters at ready here, curious to see the rest. Again, its not a first-come, first-served here, but I am looking through what is shown.

On the question about deities, I'll try and add some material on that later tonight or tomorrow at latest. It is a homebrew setting, most stuff is as the books say, but the Deities are non-standard.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Callie Del Noire

Went with this one.. both the other pictures just had.. waaaay too much tail. Wintercat, which site do you prefer the characters on? (Don't really use either.. so I figured I'd ask)

Elise 'Twiceborn' Ellingcourt
Female Tiefling Bard (Detective) 1 Fighter (Archer) 1 Rogue (Sniper) 3
CG Medium Outsider (native)

Background: Elise was born to privilege, that much is clear with her courtly accent and bearing. She is a skilled dancer and singer, trained in a classic bardic manner, her training in the bow and rapier speaks of a martial training as a family tradition. Her skill as a gutter snipe, sneak and lock picker is all due to her own fight for survival. Very few noble families admit to having tainted blood and it is quite clear from her name that she was disowned and possibly left for dead in a gutter after her 'heritage' came to the fore. 
She is a gifted archer who is often called upon to be the forward scout and/or sniper for hit and run teams of thieves. Her skill in using and crafting her own bows and arrows, as well as the knack to keep up with most burglars, has earned her a reputation in the shadows as a keen shot that can provide covering fire for retreating thieves. Her keen eye, alert mind and bardic training makes her an effective spy and leader.
She keeps her family name, Ellincourt, to herself.

Personality: Normally calm and reserved, there is a clear desire to prove something in her bearing. She carries a variety of arrows for the purpose of taking the right sort of shot at the right of time. Blunt arrows for hitting a man unawares that she didn't want to kill, smoke arrows for distraction, whistling arrows for signals and special materials for specific 'surprises' on a job. She's always looking for another arrow to put to the task at hand.
On the job she tends to be direct and to the point, directing her allies as best she can to help them be more alert, ready to do what is needed to get job done. She has on occasion turned to her 'heritage' to be the exotic dancer, or schooled allies on how to behave in a courtly setting so they could better blend in.
She has an abiding code of 'rules' she lives by, often citing them in passing. One of merit is 'Rule 7', 'Stay bought', another is #8 'Return Betrayal in turn'. When hired for a job, she will do what she is hired to within her code of rules. Mayhem and murder are to be kept to a minimum, though it is of note that she hates slavery in all forms.

Character Sheet
Init +4; Senses Perception +10
Elise Twiceborn
Female Tiefling Bard (Detective) 1 Fighter (Archer) 1 Rogue (Sniper) 3
CG Medium Outsider (native)
Init +4; Senses Perception +10
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 21, touch 15, flat-footed 16 (+5 armor, +1 shield, +4 Dex, +1 dodge)
hp 35 (1d10+4d8+5)
Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +4
Defensive Abilities evasion; Resist cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Claw x2 (Maw or Claw (Claws)) +2 x2 (1d4/x2) and
. . Masterwork Dagger +8 (1d4+1/19-20/x2) and
. . Masterwork Rapier +8 (1d6+1/18-20/x2) and
. . Sap +7 (1d6+1/x2)
Ranged +1 Composite longbow (Str +1) +8 (1d8+2/x3)
Special Attacks accuracy, bardic performance (standard action) (5 rounds/day, bardic performance: countersong, bardic performance: distraction, bardic performance: fascinate (1 targets) (dc 11), deadly range (40 ft), sneak attack +2d6
Bard (Detective) Spells Known (CL 1):
1 (2/day) Unseen Servant, Feather Fall (DC 12)
0 (at will) Open/Close (DC 11), Read Magic, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation (DC 11)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 12, Dex 18, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 12
Base Atk +3; CMB +4; CMD 19
Feats Dodge, Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Finesse
Skills Acrobatics +12, Bluff +7, Climb +8, Craft (alchemy) +8, Craft (bows) +8, Diplomacy +1 (+2 to gather information), Disable Device +13, Disguise +6, Escape Artist +9, Knowledge (arcana) +9, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +8, Knowledge (local) +10, Knowledge (nobility) +9, Knowledge (religion) +8, Linguistics +9, Perception +10, Perform (dance) +8, Perform (oratory) +6, Perform (sing) +6, Sense Motive +6, Sleight of Hand +9, Stealth +14, Use Magic Device +8; Racial Modifiers +2 Bluff, +2 Stealth
Languages Abyssal, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Goblin, Infernal, Orc
SQ bardic performance: careful teamwork +1, eye for detail, rogue talents (finesse rogue)
Combat Gear Potion of cure light wounds (4), Potion of magic fang (2), Potion of protection from evil (2), Alchemist's fire (5), Alchemist's kindness (5), Alkali flask (5), Ghast retch flask (5), Holy water (5), Shard gel (5), Tangleburn bag (2), Tanglefoot bag (5), Thistle arrows (5); Other Gear +1 Mithral Chain shirt, Mithral Buckler, +1 Composite longbow (Str +1), Arrow, durable (20), Blunt arrows (10), Cold Iron Arrow, durable (5), Masterwork Dagger, Masterwork Rapier, Sap, Silver Arrow, durable (5), Smoke arrows (5), Thistle arrows (5), Whistling arrow (5), Efficient quiver (46 @ 8.75 lbs), Handy haversack (50 @ 127.5 lbs), Alchemist's lab, Bandolier (4 @ 0 lbs), Bandolier (empty), Bedroll, Belt pouch (1 @ 0 lbs), Belt pouch (1 @ 2 lbs), Blanket, winter, Blue book (????), Flint and steel, Glass cutter, Glue paper (5), Grappling arrow, Hammer, Ink, black (2), Mug/tankard, Piton (10), Second-story harness, Silk rope, Tent, small, Thieves' tools, masterwork, 106 GP, 8 SP, 8 CP
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Accuracy (Ex) Halve all range increment penalties with a bow or crossbow.
Bardic Performance (standard action) (5 rounds/day) Your performances can create magical effects.
Bardic Performance: Careful Teamwork +1 (Su) Bonuses to initiative, perception, disable device and against traps or while flat-footed.
Bardic Performance: Countersong (Su) Counter magical effects that depend on sound.
Bardic Performance: Distraction (Su) Counter magical effects that depend on sight.
Bardic Performance: Fascinate (1 targets) (DC 11) (Su) One or more creatures becomes fascinated with you.
Damage Resistance, Cold (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Cold attacks.
Damage Resistance, Electricity (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Electricity attacks.
Damage Resistance, Fire (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Fire attacks.
Deadly Range (40 ft) (Ex) Ranged sneak attacks may be made within 40 ft.
Evasion (Ex) If you succeed at a Reflex save for half damage, you take none instead.
Eye for Detail +1 (Ex) You add half your bard level to Knowledge (local), Perception, Sense Motive, and Diplomacy(Gather Information) checks.
Mobility +4 to AC against some attacks of opportunity.
Point Blank Shot +1 to attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at up to 30 feet.
Precise Shot You don't get -4 to hit when shooting or throwing into melee.
Sneak Attack +2d6 +2d6 damage if you flank your target or your target is flat-footed.
--------------------

EroticFantasyAuthor

At this point I'm not sure on a concept, thinking perhaps a dwarven cleric or Moradin/Torag/Etc.

Inash

I don't really feel like I can finish my character (mostly set a personality and description) without some details about the deity he worships.   :-(

Wintercat

In the Realms, religion is split down to two paths, though some fall on neither path as it were. On that note, -alignment- requirements for worship only exist in that Good characters cant worship Darkness, and Evil characters cannot worship Light. Either can still worship Unaligned.

Gods of Light are worshipped as 'Good' deities, and have their share of temples and worshippers.

Gods of Darkness are worshipped as 'Evil' deities, they have secret temples and cults ordained in their service.

Unaligned deities are a collection of old deities that take no stance with or against the Realm. They have some shrines, but they are treated as neutral deities for most part, and have the occasional shrine or even a temple in some old towns.

Gods of Light
* Alos, Major God of Radiance, (Domains: Glory, Nobility, Protection, Strength)
* Jeal, Goddess of Wisdom (Domains: Knowledge, Healing, Magic)
* Amathos, Goddess of War (Domains: Destruction, Strength, War)
* Gaun, God of Hearth (Domains: Artifice, Community, Good)
* Shaon, Goddess of Commerce (Domains: Artifice, Charm, Travel)

Gods of Darkness
* Shylla, Major Goddess of Prophecy (Domains: Darkness, Glory, Knowledge, Trickery)
* Atho, God of Corruption (Domains: Chaos, Evil, Madness)
* Ruin, Goddess of Endings (Domains: Death, Destruction, Strength)

Unaligned
* Than, Major God of Death (Domains: Darkness, Death, Repose, Void)
* Myst, Major God of Elements (Domains: Air, Earth, Fire, Water)
* Lady, Major Goddess of Nature (Domains: Animal, Plant, Sun, Weather)
* Dia, God(dess?) of Luck (Domain: Chaos, Luck, Trickery)

That's not a complete deity list, but its the deities people would know.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Inash

Thank you.  I'll have an update within a couple of hours.

Is there a corresponding list of favored weapons?

Inash

Ebirc Aldonat
M NG Human Cleric, Level 5, Init +0, HP 39/39, Speed 30
AC 10, Touch 10, Flat-footed 10, Fort +6, Ref +1, Will +9, Base Attack Bonus 3   

Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 20, Cha 14
Condition None
Domains:  Healing, Magic

Personality: Completely dedicated to healing, which has left him excessively serious.  Prone to getting upset about risky behaviors and thoughtless injuries.
Description: Slightly tall and slightly thin, though not too much either way with red hair and brown eyes.  He usually has a very ernest, concerned expression.

Question Mark

Heads up, I'm going to Haiti tomorrow, and I won't be back until July 6.  I'll try to get my character done tonight, but no promises, since I'm busy packing/preparing.  I'm looking forward to this game, so will you allow me to finish Ada on July 6 without being disqualified?

EroticFantasyAuthor

How would a cleric come into the academy?

Also, which deity is favored most by the dwarves? Thinking either Amathos or Guan

Just formulating character ideas, still don't have a definite concept, but right now lawful good dwarven cleric seems likely.

Wintercat

Busy weekend once more, back and seeing what is going on. I've dropped in occasionally but for most part been thinking and laying down plots.

I've generally viewed Favored Weapon in a rather open fashion, allowing a player to request one. In a sense, I don't believe any 1 weapon would stand above others, only that the particular weapon has been 'blessed' in a temple of the deity, and such a blessing can only apply to 1 weapon type for any 1 person.

I'm willing to consider a late addition during the weekend, but I hope there wont be more of them, because if I want to get the game going on 8th it would be a disadvantage to have a fair share of sudden arrivals at the very end of things.

As for Cleric entering the Academy, they would sign up like any other classes: They could arrive as volunteers, regardless of whether they have selfless motivations like serving a greater good or a selfish one like gathering wealth and fame for themselves, there may well be some that are pressed into service to pay for their debts and as punishment for their crimes, but such people usually wouldn't end up in highly important missions, more likely they'd be held to work on projects that could be overseen by more trusted individuals. Of course, one or two such people in a group could be just watched over by the rest, story-wise.

Dwarves have no particular 'chief deity' in this world, neither do any of the other races. Amathos and Gaun both seem good picks for a dwarf I think. Its more of what they value than the particular deity itself.

I'm considering starting an OOC thread to gather the ready sheets to it, and need to ask now, if there ends up being more than 6 people at the end with ready characters eager to jump into the adventure, would those who didn't get into the game at the start still be willing to join into the game later on with the adventures already in progress if someone who got into the game has to, for one reason or another, to drop out or falls silent for an extended period of time?
A&A

EroticFantasyAuthor

Volunteers? I think I may have missed something, I thought the group would be gathered from the Academy's students that showed promise.

But if the Academy put out a call for aid, I can certainly work with that.

Wintercat

The characters have already been through a fair bit of training, likely some minor tasks as well. I simply sought to answer a question which I took as how a character would have originally perhaps ended up at the Academy. They're not putting out a call of aid as such, they're calling up people they know and trust.
A&A

Callie Del Noire

Finished my gameday weekend.. bleh.. hopefully I can get the character done soon. Any site preference?

EroticFantasyAuthor

Quote from: Wintercat on July 01, 2013, 06:03:21 AM
The characters have already been through a fair bit of training, likely some minor tasks as well. I simply sought to answer a question which I took as how a character would have originally perhaps ended up at the Academy. They're not putting out a call of aid as such, they're calling up people they know and trust.

Aye, so not completely sure how a dwarven cleric would find his way to the academy, unless the academy has connections with his church and thus they sent him to assist.

Wintercat

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on July 01, 2013, 06:56:57 PM
Aye, so not completely sure how a dwarven cleric would find his way to the academy, unless the academy has connections with his church and thus they sent him to assist.

The different races of the realm have come to work together in the past too, for the simple goal of staying alive. Mortanius' victory would not probably have left many of them alive, and none of them free. So I'd imagine the chance to be enrolled in the academy would be an easy choice, and even if the character was relatively new they would be stressed on that their task is of the utmost priority given that if Mortanius has returned, it could end up very badly for everyone.

Still, if you feel its hard to imagine it happening, then I understand and wish you well on any of the other games coming to life on the boards.
A&A

spooky

So, can I use my starting gold to add spells to my spell book and how should I apply the cost? Mark is a student of the academy, but I wouldn't know if they would give the students access to archived spells or anything so I'm curious.
I have taken The Oath of Drake.

Muse

I updated Analise with more about her history and appearance.  :)  Hope I get in. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

EroticFantasyAuthor

Quote from: Wintercat on July 02, 2013, 09:21:46 AM
The different races of the realm have come to work together in the past too, for the simple goal of staying alive. Mortanius' victory would not probably have left many of them alive, and none of them free. So I'd imagine the chance to be enrolled in the academy would be an easy choice, and even if the character was relatively new they would be stressed on that their task is of the utmost priority given that if Mortanius has returned, it could end up very badly for everyone.

Still, if you feel its hard to imagine it happening, then I understand and wish you well on any of the other games coming to life on the boards.

I'm still very much interested, and will continue with the dwarven cleric concept. What are the dwarves like the the campaign world? I can easily see a well trained cleric being assigned to assist the Academy, that is what I was checking, if that would work and wouldn't go against the campaign world.

Wintercat

Spells can be added to the spellbook at the standard price of scrolls. Wizards aren't exactly eager to share their knowledge, mentors teach perhaps enough to get the spells acquired from level-up, but beyond that it costs a scroll's worth to get to copy new spells.

Earlier mentioned, the sum that was given can be used to buy equipment at the listed prices, even with crafting skills and necessary feats to make your own there are no cost-cuts at the start, though such feats & skills can be put to use later in the game. Just not at the start. Characters have been training, preparing, all that, not having free time to craft things.

I was asked to wait till tomorrow for one last character, I hope to start the coming monday.

On the question about what kind of dwarves there are, the dwarves have their old fortresses above ground in mountainous regions, but a fair share also live alongside people in the mixed cities. Humans are the most numerous race but dwarves and elves aren't rare either. Clans matter to dwarves, but ever since the war with Mortanius before there's not been any larger conflicts between dwarves at least, its been far more important to stay strong and ready to repel any threats to the Realm. Especially since dwarves have a fair bit of influence in the Realm, they have many of the best smiths and warriors in their numbers, and the power of dwarven plate-mail soldiers is not questioned.
A&A

spooky

scroll price aye. All I needed to know.

EroticFantasyAuthor

I'll try to get going on my character ASAP. Glad to hear that the dwarves and humans a good allies, makes things alot easier. My character will probably be sent by his Commander/High Priest to assist the Academy.

Wintercat

So far, I've been considering the team construction, and I've made some early estimates what could be good set of characters, but I'm not decided yet, I'm going to look everyone through happily, but I figured I'd mention a bit of this for now. I will make my decisions tomorrow evening my time, and the game is set to start on the 8th, the coming Monday.

----

Arcane Caster:  Ada Stonewrought (Question Mark), well thought out sorcerer, though a bit troubling that the writing includes mentions to Chelaxians and Varisians, as well as Desna. Seems pretty much like a character made for Pathfinder's basic world, which is a bit jarring to me as this is set in a custom world. Still, I see the effort put into the character, and thus am considering this character for the caster role, though that is not yet set. The player did inform they would return this weekend to finish the character so I am looking forward to seeing this at the ready state.

Battle-Mage:  Mark Macy (spooky), a combat-ready Magus that would combine firepower with fiery blade-use. I am seeing the character build up and I am still waiting to see how this will shape together, but I think that a magus isn't a bad option for a team that might face a fair share of trouble in time. Again, I am considering this still, waiting to see how this will shape up. Activity on the forum hasn't hurt either, quite curious on what we'll see.

----

Champion of Light:  Analise (Muse), a Paladin ready to step into the battlefield. I find the character concept very suitable for this tale, and a bit of healing power doesn't hurt alongside the ready ability to engage in battle. I am going to consider this one a character that I want to accept into the story, final decisions will wait but I like what I see here.

Dangerous Warrior:  Tavah Sunderfist (Loki Aesir), a barbarian fighter of intimidating presence, I find this a well thought together character. While wildmen may be viewed with some wariness (due to fact that the great enemy recruited many to his forces) this character's skill has undoubtedly already been proven, and I like the bit of conflict there might be from that, too. Two warriors together before the threat seems like a good way to go, so I'm inclined to want this character along for the tale as well. Decisions still pending.

----

Twiceborn Sniper:  Elise Ellincourt (Callie del Noire), a multiclassed sniper that should be able to provide support in combat as well as a fair share of useful skills, I think that Elise would make for an interesting companion to have in the tale, and one I am looking to accept as I believe the tale written is a good one, and the character would bring a lot to the story.

Escaped Rogue:  Tha'ael (Ixy), is a talented rogue that knows what to do and how. Given this character was sent in a private message rather than on the board here I can just give my own impression here, until her character sheet is shown to others as well. I think a pure rogue can aid in some situations, and the character's backstory is again one that has me curious. I believe she could work out well in the role of the team's skill-bringer, but I also think she and Elise could work side by side in several situations. So, preliminarily accepted here as well.

----

Human Healer:  Ebirc Aldonat (Inash), a cleric with dedication. Having a healer along is always a good idea, and from what I've seen this character is also someone that could stand side by side with the warriors to hold the line. Character seems to still be under work though, waiting for some information to be added, at least weapons section was left completely blank last I checked. Still, a healer should be brought along so considering this at the time.

Dwarven Healer:  (EroticFantasyAuthor), the character has been mentioned and is apparently under work, but there's been little more that I know so far. Looking forward to seeing what is planned though, and as said a healer would help out the team so waiting to see what his work is like before final decisions.

----

Even if someone's character isn't unfortunately taken along from the start, I am going to keep an eye on things and if someone drops out of sight I will reach out to offer them a chance to join along at that point if they are still interested of course.
A&A

spooky

I've completed the character and added a personality as well as a background to the post I made before.