News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireStar

Didn't they recently do something in the comics? Killed Bruce Wayne or something and a new Batman who works for the Gotham Police took over?

CaptainNexus616

Yep just found out myself its actually Gordon inside a giant mecha suit.

Its kinda funny, the people who wrote the comic knew what the initial reaction to many Batman fans would be and decided to voice it through Gordon.

Now he just needs to swing by Detroit and recruit Robocop for the new Dynamic Duo.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 15, 2015, 05:18:57 PM
The only issue which has arisen was over the Suicide Squad movie concerning Deadshot being "exclusive" to the movies.
Might be difficult as there's already a Deadshot running around in around and given the set up it's difficult to imagine the character not returning next season.

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 15, 2015, 08:47:16 PM
Didn't they recently do something in the comics? Killed Bruce Wayne or something.
It's more the or something. As Bruce is alive and well and working for a charity.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

SapphireStar

The way things ended with the last Suicide Squad episode, Deadshot appeared to have died in an explosion. True, he might return, but that depends on the Suicide Squad movie. There was an article reporting on the issue over the character and it appears the movie won due to the way the episode ended.

Unless he developed amnesia, I don't see him giving up the batsuit any time soon. Or, they are doing a sort of dreamstate thing like they did in the animated series where the MadHatter had captured him and put him in the dream machine. In that state, Bruce's parents were alive, and he was engaged to Selina Kyle. I just wish they would go back to the original universe. This new 52 is getting off track with the stories and characters.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 16, 2015, 07:51:23 AM
The way things ended with the last Suicide Squad episode, Deadshot appeared to have died in an explosion. True, he might return, but that depends on the Suicide Squad movie. There was an article reporting on the issue over the character and it appears the movie won due to the way the episode ended.

Unless he developed amnesia, I don't see him giving up the batsuit any time soon. Or, they are doing a sort of dreamstate thing like they did in the animated series where the MadHatter had captured him and put him in the dream machine. In that state, Bruce's parents were alive, and he was engaged to Selina Kyle. I just wish they would go back to the original universe. This new 52 is getting off track with the stories and characters.

Doesn't that kind of thing happen a lot, not just in DC but in Marvel and other companies' comics?

I know Batgirl was mentioned to be appearing in the DCCU, so it wouldn't be surprising if any number of different Robins and whatnot were to appear at some point. I just hope the costumes are better than in the Batman Forever/Batman and Robin movies. If you're going to wear a mask it needs to cover more of your face, and hair, or you might as well not even wear one. Huntress on Arrow had one where it was like that, too minimal to conceal her identity from anyone. At least Batman had the sense to wear a cowl even if he leaves the lower part of his face and chin exposed.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

The way things ended with the last Suicide Squad episode, Deadshot appeared to have died in an explosion. True, he might return, but that depends on the Suicide Squad movie.
I know but that episode was also Deadshot's origin story and he's tied into the HIVE story that's going to be season 4's main arc, so having him not turn up would be odd

Unless he developed amnesia.
That's sort of what happened, Bruce has no memory of being Batman which includes all the skills etc that he learnt becoming Batman.

This new 52 is getting off track with the stories and characters.
The New 52 branding disappeared earlier this year

SapphireStar

He told Diggle about H.I.V.E. as they had hired him to kill Diggle's brother. Deadshot might know more then he is saying about the group, as they will be prominent during this coming season. The writers can work around Deadshot without having him appear. It has been done. Like in season 6 of Castle, the 3XK killer, Jerry Tyson was believed dead from the previous one, but events lead Castle to believe otherwise as Tyson had an accomplish, Dr. Neiman a plastic surgeon. Tyson was never shown, but implied he was alive. Deadshot doesn't necessarily have to appear during the H.I.V.E. arc which is more about Diggle's quest to finding those responsible for his brother's death.

Someone will eventually recognize him, like Barbara Gordon. Batman is supposed to have an indomitable will. Eventually he'll be back in the cape and cowl once his memory comes back. Having a Batman title without Bruce Wayne as Batman doesn't make it feel like a Batman story.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 16, 2015, 05:26:17 PM
He told Diggle about H.I.V.E. as they had hired him to kill Diggle's brother. Deadshot might know more then he is saying about the group, as they will be prominent during this coming season. The writers can work around Deadshot without having him appear. It has been done. Like in season 6 of Castle, the 3XK killer, Jerry Tyson was believed dead from the previous one, but events lead Castle to believe otherwise as Tyson had an accomplish, Dr. Neiman a plastic surgeon. Tyson was never shown, but implied he was alive. Deadshot doesn't necessarily have to appear during the H.I.V.E. arc which is more about Diggle's quest to finding those responsible for his brother's death.

Someone will eventually recognize him, like Barbara Gordon. Batman is supposed to have an indomitable will. Eventually he'll be back in the cape and cowl once his memory comes back. Having a Batman title without Bruce Wayne as Batman doesn't make it feel like a Batman story.

Whereas I've lost count of how many different Robins there have been. Bruce Wayne is definitely my favorite version of Batman but I'm okay with some of the others.

I read that Benedict Cumberbatch is doing the bulk-up thing for the role of Doctor Strange. Isn't that a bit much? Strange isn't exactly known for his physical prowess, so why is it important he go all out like the other big-name characters' actors (Thor, Cap, Wolverine, Bane, etc.) just so he can have a stereotypical superhero body? He's NOT a stereotypical superhero. He shouldn't have to go through all that. Anyone agree/disagree?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

He's probably just putting on some muscle at the request of the studio so he'll be appealing to the ladies when they squeeze a no shirt scene in for the girls.  I'm sure his already established fan girls from things like Sherlock will squeal over it.

So out of curiosity...why is Sharon Carter even a thing in the MCU? I was watching Winter Soldier again last night and I really felt her whole presence was just irrelevant. I am really wondering how she will play into things in the Civil War movie if she is still with the CIA other than out hunting heroes. 
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

In the comics, Sharon Carter was married to Captain America for a while before they divorced. If I remember right, she was the granddaughter of Peggy Carter in the comics? She played a role in the "death" of Captain America during Civil War. Though, if I remember right, she had been brainwashed by Crossbones into helping him.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on August 16, 2015, 09:48:47 PM
He's probably just putting on some muscle at the request of the studio so he'll be appealing to the ladies when they squeeze a no shirt scene in for the girls.  I'm sure his already established fan girls from things like Sherlock will squeal over it.

So out of curiosity...why is Sharon Carter even a thing in the MCU? I was watching Winter Soldier again last night and I really felt her whole presence was just irrelevant. I am really wondering how she will play into things in the Civil War movie if she is still with the CIA other than out hunting heroes.

You're not wrong, she was completely wasted as a character like Ellen Brandt and Dr. Chen Lu in Iron Man 3, only not quite as insultingly. She really needn't have even played any part at all that couldn't have been filled in by Maria Hill or Black Widow. And then she up and joins the CIA, so there being any lingering connection that keeps her around just makes no sense. Really botched opportunity. No idea how they plan to rectify it. Or if they intend for there to be any connection between her and Peggy.

And the CIA only operates outside the U.S. which is kind of Cap's territory, so unless he's spending a majority of the movie traipsing around the rest of the world, she can't really do much to interact with him. But we'll see.

SapphireStar

They probably intended for her to become a love interest for Cap in the next movie. Fury had placed her at Cap's place sort of to keep an eye on him. At the end of Winter Soldier, S.H.I.E.L.D. was pretty much disbanded due to the infiltration of Hydra agents. The ones who were not Hydra scattered to become agents elsewhere. Maria Hill went to work for Tony Stark. In Civil War, we'll probably see a new S.H.I.E.L.D. having been rebuilt with Tony at the helm.

CaptainNexus616

No I don't think that will be likely. I haven't kept up with Agents of Shield that well but I am aware of Coulson has been basically doing that. Its not the big organization it was but that's where a certain vehicle came from in Age of Ultron. Phil had it tucked away in case of a rainy day.

So unless for some random reason they just give it to Tony for the sake of plot (Which I swear if they do I will put a Deadpool hit out on him/her)

@Mathim

I would gladly take more screen time of Maria Hill or Scarlet Johanson any day lol.

SapphireStar

Part of season 2 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Coulson's team was going up against another S.H.I.E.L.D. group led by Gonzalez (Edward James Olmos) whose mission was to round up and contain those with powers, like Skye. Gonzalez viewed those with powers as a threat and he wasn't working under Fury's orders like Coulson. Coulson was on a mission to rebuild S.H.I.E.L.D. to be better. They did mention that Secret Warriors will factor in this season on the show. Another team created by Fury led by Daisy aka Skye on the show. The team features others with powers.

Tony probably lobbies the idea of rebuilding a new version of the organization perhaps out of a way to sort of redeem himself for the destruction superpowered beings wrought on the world, him included. The one base in the first season of S.H.I.E.L.D. was taken over by Talbot's team. So, they did have access to alot of weaponry and vehicles stationed there. Plus, there are the other S.H.I.E.L.D. bases too which had been compromised.

Mathim

I had been under the impression Tony was trying to re-brand the whole SHIELD ideal by slapping the Avengers logo on it and, while it failed amazingly, would have used Ultron as a means of enforcement. Now that the idea has to be scrapped and he can no longer be relied upon to head anything, Cap's the one likely to allow SHIELD to come back into play with HYDRA all but expunged, especially after Cap's reaction to Fury returning with a Helicarrier, on a mission that represents what, according to Cap, SHIELD should be all about.

I had heard Coulson is no longer going to be appearing on the big screen but that feels so wrong what with Civil War coming up and the increasing significance of the rebuilt SHIELD recruiting Inhumans and others. Can't have a war without armies and there's only a handful of possible soldiers for each side if we only take the ones that were in the movies.

SHIELD will never be more than a fraction of what it once was, but I'm intrigued enough by everything that's happened toward the end of season 2 and I'm really hoping that if they can't play ball with the big boys, then at least Coulson and company will start interacting with our Netflix pals like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Punisher, Elektra, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and even more like Blade, Ghost Rider and more.

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on August 16, 2015, 09:34:52 PM
Whereas I've lost count of how many different Robins there have been.
5 Robin's and there have been at least that many Batmen.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on August 17, 2015, 01:49:37 AM
5 Robin's and there have been at least that many Batmen.

Only 5? I thought there were more. Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, a blond girl I never saw more than once in the Teen Titans comics, and I just figured there were even more after that.

CaptainNexus616

Other than Damien Wayne that is basically it for the Robin roster. Even in alternate universes its usually only one of those five.

I've always wondered why they skipped Jason in the animated show. Im sure they didn't want to show Joker beating a kid with a crowbar before killing him but they could have worked around it like say Joker pushing him off a cliff.

Batman Beyond showed how far they were willing to go with torturing Tim Drake into Joker Jr. And that was a kids show as well so I don't get it

mia h

The blonde girl was Stephanie Brown, daughter of minor Bat-villain Cluemaster. She was Tim Drake's girlfriend and took over as Robin when he quit, only to be killed\murdered not long after; although not really. After the New 52 reboot all her Robin\Batgirl related adventures don't exist anymore.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on August 17, 2015, 09:36:00 AM
Other than Damien Wayne that is basically it for the Robin roster. Even in alternate universes its usually only one of those five.

I've always wondered why they skipped Jason in the animated show. Im sure they didn't want to show Joker beating a kid with a crowbar before killing him but they could have worked around it like say Joker pushing him off a cliff.

Batman Beyond showed how far they were willing to go with torturing Tim Drake into Joker Jr. And that was a kids show as well so I don't get it

Well Return of the Joker wasn't part of the show, it was a continuation movie (like the ultra-violent Mask of the Phantasm), with a PG-13 rated version so they were able to get away with more in that than in the rest of the TV stuff. Not that there wasn't a lot of stuff that came somewhat close in the overall DC Animated Universe, it was way more violent than most other stuff on kids' TV shows and the Joker did some heinous shit to a lot of people in the name of making everyone into a psychotic smiling basket case.

Also, had forgotten to mention until now, is anyone else who saw Ant-Man a little disappointed that they didn't have a scene where the song 'Short People' was playing? I mean, if Michael Pena can whistle "It's a Small World", wouldn't that other one have been spot-on too?

mia h

The Agents of Shield spin off that got cancelled before it even started seems to be back on and it even has a name this time Marvel's Most Wanted, with Bobbi and Hunter heading up the story.

CaptainNexus616

So what will this be like? A bounty hunting story or something?

mia h

The only news is the show title and leads, so it could be anything

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on August 21, 2015, 01:39:50 PM
The only news is the show title and leads, so it could be anything

I thought she got fucked up so badly she was talking about retiring? Now she and Hunter are back, but no longer affiliated with the new SHIELD? I mean, I know this is a universe with superheroes but don't normal people recover from otherwise debilitating injuries a bit too quickly and completely, without this being explicitly addressed as the norm for their universe?

CaptainNexus616

Well in the Age of Ultron movie, Hawkeye was able to get patched up quickly thanks to a machine that basically repaired skin tissue.

I'm guessing since the Avengers movie they really broke away from that universe being the same as ours on a technological level. After all everyone was collecting alien scrap and would love to do some reverse engineering.