News:

Main Menu

Robert Jordan dead

Started by HairyHeretic, September 17, 2007, 10:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

I expect there's a few other Wheel of Time readers around here who, like myself, hadn't heard this. The notice was on the guy's official blog, that he passed away yesterday.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Simon

Damn... sorry to hear it... but again... DAMN!

Swedish Steel

Did he ever finish the Wheel of Time?
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

HairyHeretic

I don't know. I've seen someone post elsewhere that there was a manuscript with the publisher, another place that his wife might finish it off.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Cherri Tart

oh! that's terribley sad! i really enjoyed his books...
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Zakharra

I've never read any of his books. Something about trying to read a paperback that is 3" thick just turns me off.

Jeramiahh

I loved his books; the first series I picked up after finishing Tolkein, my second fantasy series. While it dragged in some of the later books, he definitely went back to the quick pace the early books in Knife of Dreams. He will be sorely missed.

On a lighter note, though, if rumors are true, a few days ago, when he knew he was dying, he took his wife, who is also his chief editor, and told her everything she needed to make sure the last book was finished. I know if I were a famous author, especially one that close to the end of the series, I'd want to make sure it ended right.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

National Acrobat

If sources are to be believed, not only was she his chief editor, and has an outline and specific notes to finish the series in hand, she also ghost wrote a fair portion of his books. I imagine that the series will be finished as planned by his wife.

OldSchoolGamer

I loved the first two books in the WoT series.  I liked the third and fourth.  After that...well, the pace just seemed to bog down. 

His death really is unfortunate...I think he was a great writer.  I was really looking forward to his next series.

Sherona

I loved his WoT and no he never finished them.

Nell

WHAT!??  I can't believe it...he was one of my favorite authors. I really wish the two WoT series could have been finished, but I suppose that's not really something readers should care about when an author dies, even though they do...it's just sad

AmberMK

I hadn't heard this, but somehow, I was starting to wonder if he wasn't dead or something.  I was just thinking about it yesterday...  Now that's kinda creepy.  Anyway, it's a shame...

Vekseid

I never started reading him.  Apparently he gave his wife everything needed for the twelfth book, though.  As long as KJA doesn't get to touch it.

Nell

Yeah, he's given his wife all the notes and outlines to get the twelfth book done...it's just another author's style is irreplaceable and unique enough to not be copyable. I mean, sure, you can get close enough to how they write so that it's hard to distinguish between it and their real work, but it's virtually impossible to recreate exactly what the author had in mind even with notes. I'm stating something that might be obvious, but this, in and of itself, speaks volumes about the nature of our individuality.

Ixy

May I note, at the risk of seeming disrespectful, that there is no way between here and hell that a 12th book will POSSIBLY tie up all the wandering plot devices he has cast out there?  Unless, you know, that book comes in three separate volumes at 1000+ pages each, and each volume *actually* leads into a new series by (insert ghost-writer name here) that opens some Shiny, New*! aspect of the Wheel of Time world, each marketable to a particular cross-section of the fantasy-book-readership-pool?

Simon

All I know is that was Robert Jordan had decided to do even if (as he said a few time); "The book is to be finished even if it would end up more then 1500 pages long forcing the company to develop a new publishing method in binding it."

But I agree in what you say... HOW??? If he doesn't cheat of course and just... ends it, leaving many people just dead or unknown endings.

Jester

This is a real shame. I have read the series about six times.

I fancy doing a game in the Wheel of Time world but i suppose thats not appropriate now.

Simon

Quote from: comedyjester on October 03, 2007, 07:28:26 AM
I fancy doing a game in the Wheel of Time world but i suppose thats not appropriate now.

Sure it is, I can't imagine Robert Jordan wouldn't want people to stop enjoying his work just because of this.

Zaer Darkwail

I heard this news on Rpol from my WoT group :(. I had not readed for while his newer books (stopped at Path of Daggers or whatever in english the title is) but planned pick up somepoint. But so far had liked the books altough they are bit long winded :P. But many fun and sad scenes in the books none the less if plot moved like snail speed.

I suspect Jordan gived details how end the series so wife can write the all endings in form one hell big book to three books.