WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norwegian One

Quote from: Numerion on April 06, 2021, 03:45:18 PM
Aww, but at this point I have quite a bit of experience :D Yours are at least complete!
Love the white on the other models for sure!

Thanks, I worked a lot on the white to get it smooth enough :)

Quote from: Beorning on April 06, 2021, 04:47:46 PM
No worries! Thank you for posting these!

BTW. You gave your individual Daemonettes names?

Yeah, I only did a test group of ten Daemonettes :P Tyranids was always my one true army, but I had a few periods of "new army syndrome", so I have single squads from many different armies. Daemonettes, some Ungors, some Guardsmen, some Averland state troops, five Commando Orks, some Grey Knight Terminators, a unit of Tomb Kings cavalry... :P

I had just started working on my Sons of Malice renegade Marines when I finished University and moved to a new city, and I haven't really played or painted anything since :(
Ons and Offs - Picture plots - Cravings - Activity and general chat - Bookmark for activity log and updates on my posting speed
Currently not available for new RPs, random PMs still encouraged! Also, feel free to check out my threads. Feedback is always welcome! - Current response time:  Within 1 week.

Beorning

Quote from: Ollumhammersong on April 06, 2021, 10:40:57 PM
that is true, but entropy cannons are S8 and D3+3 damage. using them on any infantry short of custodians is a waste of a turn. you're aiming those at vehicles and big targets. They're basically lascannons, but arguably better stats.

As for rothail vs stubber. ya. Again it depends on who you're fighting and how close you expect them to get. The S5 stubber will wound almost any infantry on a 3+. only custodians and other deathguard are going to be tougher.

But using it as a gatecrasher may not be a bad idea, at least to try in a couple games. Charging into combat with two heavy flamers as six S6 -1 shots.... not too shabby. That can fuck up a large squad of something. And any GEQ are just going to melt in front of it.

Good points...

Alright, I thought really hard on how I might want to use this thing and I decided I'll go with plaguespitters + heavy stubber. Seems the most flexible... Anyway, thank for your input :)

Quote from: Norwegian One on April 07, 2021, 12:18:31 AM
Yeah, I only did a test group of ten Daemonettes :P Tyranids was always my one true army, but I had a few periods of "new army syndrome", so I have single squads from many different armies. Daemonettes, some Ungors, some Guardsmen, some Averland state troops, five Commando Orks, some Grey Knight Terminators, a unit of Tomb Kings cavalry... :P

Tell me about it. I have DG and some "generic" CSM for WH40K, along with Sisters and Space Marines. For AoS, I have Stormcast Eternals, Daughters of Khaine, Skaven, Slaves to Darkness and Hedonites... At this stage, three of these armies are fieldable. But I'm assembling like crazy :)

I had just started working on my Sons of Malice renegade Marines when I finished University and moved to a new city, and I haven't really played or painted anything since :(

Hey, help me work out the way to play WH40K on the forums and I'll scratch that itch ;)

Norwegian One

Quote from: Beorning on April 07, 2021, 01:48:43 AM
Tell me about it. I have DG and some "generic" CSM for WH40K, along with Sisters and Space Marines. For AoS, I have Stormcast Eternals, Daughters of Khaine, Skaven, Slaves to Darkness and Hedonites... At this stage, three of these armies are fieldable. But I'm assembling like crazy :)

Hey, help me work out the way to play WH40K on the forums and I'll scratch that itch ;)

That's a lot of armies, for sure :P I think I have roughly 3000pts of Tyranids (or at least I did, back in 4th/5th ed), and about 750 points of Sons of Malice. I remember I got into 40k just as the 4th Edition Codex released for the 'Nids. Before that, I used to play the LotR miniature game.

Hehe, that would be nice. To be honest, I haven't played for.... about 7-8 years, I think. I think my hiatus started around the time 6th edition rolled around? So a lot of the newer elements like Overwatch, command points, etc. are quite new to me, though I tend to watch Battle Reports on Youtube from time to time.

Just out of curiosity, how viable and flexible are Tyranids now? I remember they were quite powerful in 4th Ed., with Zilla and Swarm lists being strong lists, and they could put up a good shooting list as well. Then 5th Edition rolled around and buffed transports, which kinda nerfed Swarm lists that I loved playing :P

Also, I really like the look of the Genestealer cults. Do they combine well with the regular Tyranids?
Ons and Offs - Picture plots - Cravings - Activity and general chat - Bookmark for activity log and updates on my posting speed
Currently not available for new RPs, random PMs still encouraged! Also, feel free to check out my threads. Feedback is always welcome! - Current response time:  Within 1 week.

Beorning

Quote from: Norwegian One on April 07, 2021, 02:23:24 AM
That's a lot of armies, for sure :P I think I have roughly 3000pts of Tyranids (or at least I did, back in 4th/5th ed), and about 750 points of Sons of Malice. I remember I got into 40k just as the 4th Edition Codex released for the 'Nids. Before that, I used to play the LotR miniature game.

To be honest, I should count Sisters and Space Marines as one big army, because I plan on fielding them together... But yeah, I'm kind of ambitious (overambitious?). And I'm still being tempted with Drukhari and Lumineth (AoS). Lumineth are pure beauty...

And why do I want to field Sisters and SM together? Because that would be plain cool, like last year's cinematic trailer proved:

Hehe, that would be nice. To be honest, I haven't played for.... about 7-8 years, I think. I think my hiatus started around the time 6th edition rolled around? So a lot of the newer elements like Overwatch, command points, etc. are quite new to me, though I tend to watch Battle Reports on Youtube from time to time.

Hey, I'm still starting to learn the game myself! So, we can (re)learn the game together... as long as we find a way to play here...

Also, I really like the look of the Genestealer cults. Do they combine well with the regular Tyranids?

... I know they have a cool trailer, too ;)

Norwegian One

Quote from: Beorning on April 07, 2021, 10:41:20 AM
To be honest, I should count Sisters and Space Marines as one big army, because I plan on fielding them together... But yeah, I'm kind of ambitious (overambitious?). And I'm still being tempted with Drukhari and Lumineth (AoS). Lumineth are pure beauty...

And why do I want to field Sisters and SM together? Because that would be plain cool, like last year's cinematic trailer proved:

Hey, I'm still starting to learn the game myself! So, we can (re)learn the game together... as long as we find a way to play here...

... I know they have a cool trailer, too ;)

I love that trailer for 9th Edition. I have probably watched it two dozen times by now :P So I can definitely understand you wanting to put them together ;D

And I haven't seen that Cult trailer before! That is so awesome! I have seen them played in a few Battle reports, and they seem very much a hit-and-run army, so I was wondering if you could use them as allies for the Tyranids, and how well they potentially synergise? ;D

MiaKage

Funny thing about Sisters and Space marines, is the Adepta Sororitas actually dislikes them, as many do not follow the Imperial Creed, and due to genetic engineering, are no better than mutants.
On/Off
A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back because the scorpion cannot swim. The frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion says, "Because if I do, I will die too."
The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown, but has just enough time to gasp "Why?"
The scorpion replies: "But, little frog, I can swim."

Beorning

Quote from: Norwegian One on April 07, 2021, 11:14:13 AM
I love that trailer for 9th Edition. I have probably watched it two dozen times by now :P So I can definitely understand you wanting to put them together ;D

Speaking of awesome trailers, here's the Death Guard one...

QuoteAnd I haven't seen that Cult trailer before! That is so awesome! I have seen them played in a few Battle reports, and they seem very much a hit-and-run army, so I was wondering if you could use them as allies for the Tyranids, and how well they potentially synergise? ;D

I wish I knew that... I've been wondering whether they have rules for playing alongside Tyrannids myself.

Quote from: MiaKage on April 07, 2021, 12:45:10 PM
Funny thing about Sisters and Space marines, is the Adepta Sororitas actually dislikes them, as many do not follow the Imperial Creed, and due to genetic engineering, are no better than mutants.

Ha! That made me worried, but I looked online and it seems that it all actually depends on the specific chapter / order / local situation...

Beorning

Hey guys, question re: WH40K fiction.

There's a new Humble Bundle available currently with 26 WH40K books available. Any of these good?

(not sure if it's okay to post a link, so I won't do that)

AngelsSonata

Just purchased it, and while I've read a fair few of them the price is worth it. There are some great reads.

HairyHeretic

The ones of it I've read are pretty decent. It would have been better if they'd put in the first Night Lords book rather than the second in the series, but its still an enjoyable read.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Beorning

Thanks for the info!

BTW. It seems that Slaanesh has children now... At least in the AoS-verse. I wonder if they will be available for WH40K...

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on April 19, 2021, 10:43:01 AM
Thanks for the info!

BTW. It seems that Slaanesh has children now... At least in the AoS-verse. I wonder if they will be available for WH40K...

Huh? I found something vague about Slaanesh being reborn as a baby somehow...

TheLaughingOne

Legion of the damned Leviathan dreadnought.

Many pants were soiled on that day.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

AngelsSonata

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 19, 2021, 10:47:25 AM

To cut a long story short, in the Age of Sigmar universe, Slaanesh was captured after gorging on Elven souls. He was forced to relinquesh them so the Elves could rebuild their race. Cut to current events, one Elf believed she was a goddess and used Slaanesh's power to enact a ritual that does that. She succeeds and is now a goddess. A small sliver of power escaped which took the form of a brother and sister, children of Slaanesh in every sense of the word. This is their new form.

And Beorning, to answer your question I am fairly certain that there will be rules for the 40K universe. So far every daemon unit released has had rules for both AoS and 40K.

TheLaughingOne

isnt there now like, some weird "Deep ones" species of elves that are soul eaters or something like darkelves, though not crazy psychosadistic/masochists...? they came from part of the thing with slaanesh (the souls that were just eaten, and by that "damaged" in the act)
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

AngelsSonata

The Idoneth Deepkin, yeah. Sort of like Frankenstein, they were a race of Elves that were created but shunned by their creator. He tried to destroy them but they fled to the seas and created their own kingdom beneath the waves. They steal souls from the slain so they can survive, as they were created incomplete.

TheLaughingOne

Theere we go. thought was something like that. thankly!
My Ons and Offs!

TheGlyphstone

Is that where the flying shark cavalry Beorning linked earlier come from?

AngelsSonata

Not sure, I'll have to find the link.

Ollumhammersong

Yes the shark cavalry are an idoneth unit. it's called the Akellian Allopex. What little there is written about the Idoneth so far is actually really cool. They are 'incomplete elves' I suppose that's not totally inaccurate. Some idoneth are born with souls, but only a small percentage. most are born 'namarti' soulless and souls are harvested for this soulless cast who live drastically shorter lifespans, and harvested for future generations to try and prevent as many as possible from being born Namarti.
Hi i'm a polymorphic alien who has taken the form of this signiature to have sex with your pupils, and by the smile on your face I can tell your enjoying it.

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 19, 2021, 10:47:25 AM

To elaborate on what AngelsSonata wrote...

As Slaanesh has consumed most of the aelven souls during WFB's End Times, there weren't that many aelves during the first era of the AoS world, Age of Myth. Trying to rebuilt their race, the aelven patheon (Teclis, Tyrion, Malerion and not-quite-divine-yet Morathi) lured Slaanesh into the hidden sub-realm named Uhl-Gysh (located between Realm of Light and Realm of Shadow, Hysh and Ulgu) and bound him there. Then, gradually, the four leaders started extracting the aelven souls from Slaanesh and creating new aelven races. That resulted in the creation of the Idoneth (Teclis' first, failed attempt), the Lumineth (Teclis' later attempt, much more refined), Morathi's weirdo faction that includes snake ladies, harpies and gorgons and the not-yet-defined Malerion's people. This also had the interesting result of Slaanesh being "the absent god" for most of the AoS-verse's history, only being able to act through subtle influence. And his followers being quite confused, with some of them trying to decipher the mystery of their god's disappearance - and some of them trying to ascend and take over Slaanesh's throne.

Anyway - this was the state of things until recently. Turns out, Slaanesh wasn't idle in captivity and, gradually, managed to break some of the mystical chains that were binding him. That's the reason why the Slaanesh faction was growing more powerful lately... And then, there came Morathi's blunder.

Basically, in her quest to finally attain godhood, Morathi enacted a ritual when she ripped the most powerful aelven souls that were still trapped within Slaanesh, consumed them and became a goddess, Morathi-Khaine. However, during the ritual, Slaanesh managed to sneak a portion of itself out of Uhl-Gysh. That portion first remained half-formed, being known only as "the Newborn" - but, apparently, it now coalesced into two children: Dexcessa, the Talon of Slaanesh and Synessa, the Voice of Slaanesh. That's how they look like:

So... that's the story!

Oh, and BTW.: the other possible side effect of Morathi's action is that Aenerion might be back, too...

Quote from: AngelsSonata on April 19, 2021, 11:24:31 AM
And Beorning, to answer your question I am fairly certain that there will be rules for the 40K universe. So far every daemon unit released has had rules for both AoS and 40K.

That's my suspicion, too. Although they'd have to change their backstory a little...

Quote from: Ollumhammersong on April 19, 2021, 04:22:21 PM
Yes the shark cavalry are an idoneth unit. it's called the Akellian Allopex. What little there is written about the Idoneth so far is actually really cool. They are 'incomplete elves' I suppose that's not totally inaccurate. Some idoneth are born with souls, but only a small percentage. most are born 'namarti' soulless and souls are harvested for this soulless cast who live drastically shorter lifespans, and harvested for future generations to try and prevent as many as possible from being born Namarti.

Point of interest regarding Namarti: they are blind. Even more, they are literally eyeless...

And speaking of cool aelves, I'll say that the Lumineth are pretty cool, too :)

AngelsSonata

Makes me believe that when they release the new Slaanesh models, there'll be a new Codex Chaos Daemons released for 40K, it'll be interesting to read how the pair fit into the 40K universe. Maybe something to do with the Eldar, possibly the Ynnari faction.

And the Realm Lords are really cool models. In fact I've just started an army of them as my return to Age of Sigmar.

Beorning

The Lumineth *rock*. If I didn't have too much stuff to assemble, I'd absolutely try making an army of them...

On the WH40K side of things, I finally received my Piety & Pain box. And now I'm wondering...

... how the heck do you paint that stained glass piece on the Immolator so that remains transluscent???

BTW. Out of curiosity: I see that the Drukhari Venom is, more or less, Rhino-sized. Do you guys happen to know the dimensions of the other Drukhari ships? They seem... big.

CountessJess

Stained glass - use contrast paints. The official Warhammer youtube has a surprisingly good tutorial on it.

The Raider/Ravager is about double as long and high as the Venom. Having painted both a Venom and Raider now I can safely say that painting in subassemblies is mandatory. That being said for models that look as big or bigger than the Sororitas Rhino they took me about the same amount of time to paint as that.

Ollumhammersong

Drukhari vehicles aren't actually that big, just spikey. It makes them look bigger than they are.

Alot of pokey bits jutting out at all angles so you need to be careful when packing them away for transport.
Hi i'm a polymorphic alien who has taken the form of this signiature to have sex with your pupils, and by the smile on your face I can tell your enjoying it.