What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

Quote from: AmberStarfire on June 11, 2016, 06:02:36 AM
This is very sad. :( A man walked up to Christina Grimmie after a show when she was signing autographs and shot her. She died from her injuries.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/the-voice-singer-christina-grimmie-shot-while-signing-autographs-after-concert/news-story/ea4c39a16e6658f433a016288c860318

hmmm *crazy fan vibes* I feel like this guy was imitating John Lennon's killer.

Lustful Bride

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Azrael

Non-binary, sometimes femme-ish, fae tiger.

Lustful Bride

Shooter has been ID'd as Omar Mateen.

It appears he targeted them specifically because they were homosexual. According to the FBI he had made threats before.

*sighs* Why is it that so many of these acts have early signs that no one seems to take seriously?

Azrael

because politicians don't want anything to be done, they would rather receive NRA donations.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Azrael on June 12, 2016, 10:47:23 AM
because politicians don't want anything to be done, they would rather receive NRA donations.

Because the NRA totally wants these shootings to happen and the public to get riled up against guns and gun owners. :/

I think its more accurate to say Politicians don't actually give a shit, and the feds seem to be too busy busting Marijuana rings instead of hunting down and investigating real threats.

Edit: Okay, I'm not being fair. The Feds work hard and have stopped multiple terror acts before. They are just spread thin and have to pick and choose what to investigate.

Azrael

the NRA no doubt do want it to happen, because every time there is a shooting, gun sales go through the roof.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 12, 2016, 10:51:14 AM
Because the NRA totally wants these shootings to happen and the public to get riled up against guns and gun owners. :/

Well given that gun sales tend to go up after major shooting incidents like this, and no credible legislation tends to come from such incident, yes in a purely numbers basis with no regard for human life, the NRA does benefit from these incidents. Publicity, higher gun sales so more profit for the gun industry, and yes there's some negative publicity, but that's temporary.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Azrael on June 12, 2016, 10:53:29 AM
the NRA no doubt do want it to happen, because every time there is a shooting, gun sales go through the roof.

So does the outcry for harsher gun laws and outright demands for bans. There's no NRA or Gun owner conspiracy to make these things happen, the real villains here are the ones perpetrating the acts.

The other groups (Politicians and gun makers included) just both work to take advantage of the moment for their own goals.

I will grant you that the NRA is corrupt and cares more about the bottom line than about the honest folks who care about home defense, but to say they want his to happen is somewhat of a stretch.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 12, 2016, 10:55:57 AM
So does the outcry for harsher gun laws and outright demands for bans.

Yes, outcry, which is temporary, and no actual laws to follow through. So they get real benefits along with the threat of disadvantages that never manifest.

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 12, 2016, 10:55:57 AMI will grant you that the NRA is corrupt and cares more about the bottom line than about the honest folks who care about home defense, but to say they want his to happen is somewhat of a stretch.

Maybe not. I'm sure some of the top members still have a soul. But it is certainly true that the NRA benefits from these incidents.

Cycle

Suggestion?  How about the NRA/gun control discussion be moved to here?

Lustful Bride

I'm just gonna back out now :/  No point in shouting back and forth the same stuff over and over again that happens when this stuff happens.

No one gets anywhere and we all just end up hating eachother.

Azrael

the fact there is even a discussion about it shows exactly why the US is utterly fucked.

Oniya

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on June 12, 2016, 11:05:18 AM
  Yes, outcry, which is temporary, and no actual laws to follow through. So they get real benefits along with the threat of disadvantages that never manifest.

Maybe not. I'm sure some of the top members still have a soul. But it is certainly true that the NRA benefits from these incidents.

Somewhere around 1975 things started going sideways in the NRA.  Before that, they had supported regulations against 'gangster weapons' (this was in the 30s, and included sawed-off shotguns, machine guns, and suppressors, aka silencers), and the parts of the Gun Control Act of 1968 that prohibited sale of firearms to convicted criminals and the mentally ill.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

consortium11

Quote from: Cycle on June 12, 2016, 01:38:12 PM
Apparently the shooter pledged loyalty to ISIS.

And the shooter's father previously expressed support for the Afghan Taliban.

He'd also previously been investigated by the FBI twice (and interviewed three times over the course of those investigations), once for comments he'd made at work and once because of his contact with American suicide bomber Moner Mohammad Abu-Salha. The Islamic State have already taken credit for the attack and it's worth noting that when the Islamic State put out one of their unfortunately predictive "kill list" a few days ago it featured a large number of targets based in Florida.

Mister Ugly

The weather is bright and sunny with a few clouds in the sky. The temperature is 89 with a nice breeze blowing. We had shopped yesterday for steak and chicken for the grill and planned on having friends over for swimming in the pool and just being normal 50+ years of age. Yet barely 3 miles from where I live 50 people lay dead. I know exactly where 'Pulse' is at. I have gotten food from the Wendy's right across the street for way to many years. I stop at the 7-11 at the corner of Kaley and Orange barely a 100 yards from Pulse and you can see the sign from the parking lot. This is the main drag to down town Orlando. Three Hospitals are with blocks of the shooting. One of them has the most modern trauma center in the region.

Already the Orlando/Orange county ME has asked for help in storing the dead bodies and they are still bring them out from the building. More then 12 hours after the first were killed and there are still many many bodies left in the building. It is almost 90 degrees out and the door and windows to the place have been kicked down. I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be like in there. They are being shown wearing HAZMAT suits going in.

DAMN DAMN what the hell are these loonies thinking anyway.

All the local TV stations are showing nothing but this... There are long lines at the local blood banks. The police that arrived first kept the EMT's out since the shooter was still in the building and those police on site pulled injured out as fast as they could. The shooter was spotted by an off duty cop in the parking lot of the club where the first shots were exchanged... he forced his way into the Club... full of young people taking their last sips of whatever they were drinking and began shooting. A bartender in the club said she at first thought the first shots were part of the loud music playing, then she saw people falling. The worst of humanity and the best all being blasted across Central Florida, the nation and the world.

The Shooter [I refuse to give this piece of garbage a name] had a gun license sense 2011 and was a vented Security guard that worked at Indian River Court House. He had been investigated by the FBI twice over the past 3 years and each time there appeared to be nothing there and each case was closed. He was born in the USA and was a citizen so there was no reason for him not to have a gun. Yet even with all this social media can twist a person's mind and ideals.

I set here still half stunned and growing more aware that maybe the only way to deal with these extremists is to kill them all...and those thoughts make me ill and anyone that knows me knows that I am a moderate that tries to see and understand view of others. This I cannot understand.

So no offense to those here blaming the NRA or the politicians but getting guns anywhere in the world is simple. You want someone to Blame...Try ISIS or the Taliban or any number of other groups that think the only way to think is how they tell you.

Right now for me. I have said a prayer for the ones still in surgery and yes there are those still in surgery 14 hours after the shooting. Tomorrow I will go give blood. Today I am staying in and just trying to wrap my head around these thoughts in me that want to see all Muslims dead...yes I know the majority are good people but there are 50 dead no more then 3 miles from me ....and they are saying that number will climb...53 were wounded...

<MU

My statement above that has been crossed out was made barely 12 hours after the attack and bodies were still in the building. I knew one of the young men that was missing at the time, He mowed my yard when he was younger. He was among the dead. I do not believe in ethic cleansing nor in 'wanting' all Muslims dead. Please expect my apology for the heated comment.
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein

What makes the ugly feel pretty ...

Mister Ugly

More*
Now they are saying the piece of garbage called 911 before the shooting and spoke of ISIS and while in the building he again spoke with 911 and the police and dedicated what he was doing to Allah while he shot someone... I so wish I had 5 minutes with the piece of shit...just 5 minutes...I know that Muslims and Islam are not evil but there are 50+ bodies nearby and now I find out I may know one of them a son of a neighbor who used to mow our grass...still unconfirmed...

I so wish I was 30 years younger or wealthier or smarter ...something I could do to unleash on ISIS the same that has been done here.

<MU
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert Einstein

TheGlyphstone

You know how to fight the Islamaphobic urges you're feeling? Give the criminal a name.

Omar Mateen. It's the name of an evil man, like Adolph Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Ze-Dong, Pol Pot, Timothy McVeigh, Osama Bin Laden, and many, many others. Specific men, evil men. Acknowledge that this was an evil, awful crime done by a specific evil, awful person, and you can direct the deserved hate you're feeling at him and the people like him, without letting it splash onto innocents who just happen to share his ethnicity/religion.

Mister Ugly

http://www.wftv.com/news

59 now dead. 6 have been identified.
I am linking local TV 9 home page so anyone that wants can see what we are seeing here

Glyphstone, you are probably right in giving the garbage a name...maybe I can tomorrow...now his image and name makes me want to puke ...or shoot someone...

<MU

Albert Einstein

Mister Ugly

http://www.clickorlando.com/

http://www.mynews13.com/

These are the other main networks here in central florida...13 being the main news network

<MU
Albert Einstein

Becca

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 12, 2016, 04:20:44 PM
You know how to fight the Islamaphobic urges you're feeling? Give the criminal a name.

Omar Mateen. It's the name of an evil man, like Adolph Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Ze-Dong, Pol Pot, Timothy McVeigh, Osama Bin Laden, and many, many others. Specific men, evil men. Acknowledge that this was an evil, awful crime done by a specific evil, awful person, and you can direct the deserved hate you're feeling at him and the people like him, without letting it splash onto innocents who just happen to share his ethnicity/religion.

I absolutely agree. Horrible tragedy, at the hands of a horrible man.

Aethereal

If I'm not mistaken, then he's also dead (I've been working, so not much time to check sources). And, among other things, he does not deserve the post-mortem "fame". The more his name gets thrown around, the more likely it is that there will be imitators. Let him be forgotten and buried. 
        If you need something specific to target your anger at, let it be Daesh. They're still out and about, and an actual problem.