News:

Main Menu

Mortal Kombat: Legacy

Started by Sabby, August 16, 2011, 01:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Okay, you've probably seen the 7 minute trailer that came out a little while ago. It was just to try and grab investor attention for a new Mortal Kombat movie and tried to present a 'dark, gritty, realistic reboot'. I found it cool at first, and still do, but there were problems with the concept I couldn't get past. Scorpion being the protagonist, for one, and the realism didn't always work for me. This is Mortal Kombat. Trying to make it look like CSI was always guna be a problem.

I doubt it's a coincidence that Mortal Kombat: Legacy came out afterwards. I'm not sure if it was developed by the same people or was just inspired, but it's a series of short episodes that just finished it's first season, and once again, it's a 'dark gritty reboot', but I think it's balanced it's realism much better then the trailer. Sure, Mortal Kombat being 'realistic' will never completely work for me, but I liked some of this a lot.

Mortal Kombat: Legacy - Ep. 1: Jax, Sonya and Kano (Part 1)

Mileena and Baraka are the lowest point, I think, and Scorpion and Sub Zero could have used some work, but the opening episode is pretty strong, and I loved Raiden's episode, even if Elder God's being made of Blueberry Gatorade had me scratching my head...

Wyrd

"Dark, gritty, realistic reboot"? Oh god... more of this BS
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

Yeah, ever since Ironman, everything must look plausible! xD I enjoyed it though.

Wyrd

But ever reboot now needs that "Dark and gritty" sticker just to get anywhere. Like what they want to do with a new Green Lantern. It's the same with video games in the last two years, Dark and gritty is cool. Casting the clever illusion that Dragon Age and the Witcher are good... But i did like Iron man. lol!
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

Okay, while I was posting this, I was just booting up the last episode, about Cyrax and Sektor. Half way through, and my god, this is good. Someone must have gave these guys a CGI machine for the afternoon, because the robot brawling looks better then most of the other episodes by far.

The fight direction in this episode is really smooth and doesn't overdo the bullet time like some others have, and I'm loving how it tries to cut to a 2D perspective for most shots. If your not up to watching the whole season, 9 episodes, and just want to see the best one, I'd recommend these two.

Mortal Kombat: Legacy - Ep. 9: Cyrax & Sektor

Mortal Kombat: Legacy - Ep. 6: Raiden