News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Does anyone know?

Started by Autumn52, March 19, 2012, 05:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autumn52

I have a question it isn't really computer related but I was wondering if there is some way to block someone from texting or calling you on your cell phone. My friend keeps getting this guy that text her all the time, day and night. She has told him that he has the wrong number but he doesn't believe her I guess. Anyway if it continues is there anyway to file harassment charges against him? I mean it is ridiculous. Thanks everyone.

Hugs
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

jouzinka

I believe you can file stalking with the authorities, she should certainly keep the messages this person is sending.

Not sure if you can block a certain phone number via the phone itself, but I'd try a call to my service provider and see if -they- could block it. There may be ways how to redirect him to her voicemail in the phone, but that would require her making a group of all her contacts, save for the one she wants to block, then set her phone to only alert her to calls from that group... depends on how tech savvy is your friend.

Best of luck for her, though. :-\ *hugs*
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Autumn52

Thank you so much. Today at lunch he texted her 6 times and she was trying to politely tell him he has the wrong number and he got kinda rude with her. She finally just turned her phone off. I felt bad for her. I will let her know about calling her provider, she probably hasn't thought of that. Thank you again.

Hugs,
Xandi
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

jouzinka

When I had my stalker, I tended to just hand the phone to someone else and let them have a bit of a mean fun (stalking is not a crime here, so no use of me reporting him), anything but letting the person hear my voice. I had his name in my contact list under "wrong number" and wouldn't pick it up at all.

Likewise, I wouldn't pick up unknown numbers.

I really hope it doesn't come down to that for your friend. *hugs*

Autumn52

Me too. She is so sweet and things like that really bother her. He had some lady call her one day and tell her all sorts of stuff about her dead husband, then at the end of the call the guy got on the phone and just laughed. My friend was trying to comfort this woman while telling her she had the wrong number and then he just laughed. I got pissed off and grabbed the phone and told him to stop harassing her or I was going to tell the cops. He hung up but by that time she was in tears.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the stalker person. That is horrible. Yeah I told her to mark his number in her phone as stalker do not answer but she hasn't yet. She thinks the best of everyone and thinks he must just keep dialing the wrong number.

Hugs

jouzinka

Wow... that sounds really sick. >.< She should report him. I mean... even if he has the wrong number, this sounds like he's trying to mess with someone pretty bad.

And yeah, well... my stalker. Long story, but thankfully from the past. :-)

Autumn Sativus

If she calls her cell phone provider and requests they block the number due to harassment, they are obligated to do so. They are capable and it's a privacy issue so they will. You'd just have to convince her to actually make the call. It only takes a moment on the phone. :-)
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Autumn52

Thanks Saffron I will tell her. She is so sweet but I think she is at the end of her rope really. Thanks you for the information.

Cecilia

I'd have her text back with "I don't know who you are, you have the wrong number, and NOW, I am calling the authorities."  Then she should call the authorities, (and you could probably hold her hand while she does it.)

Timeless

I actually had this problem once before, where a certain person kept calling my number despite me telling him that he has the wrong number. I would voice out the same like the others had done which would be to try calling the service provider. I know some mobile phones can block calls from a certain number as well, but sadly, that does not apply to the iPhone for some reason.

I truly understand how your friend feels though, and hope she would know that she has friends and people who would support her when it comes to this situation. :/ It's just disturbing and can be so nerve-wrecking; especially when the phone keeps ringing like almost every time. Fortunately, the person stopped after I ignore the calls and I actually did sent a threatening text that if he did not stop, I would call the authorities.

Autumn52

Yeah I told her and she said she was going to. I don't want to push her and it is ultimately her decision, but at least she knows she has options now. The funny thing is that he texted her something and she texted back 'you have the wrong number, I am not the friend you think you are texting.' He texted back 'that's funny cause he is standing right here' and she said 'then why are you texting and unless he has my same number please stop.' He just texted back 'HAHAHAHA.' I told her she should just get it over with and have him blocked, but she will make her own choice I guess.

Thanks everyone for your support and help. Hugs.

jouzinka

Well, blocking that number will only help as long as he is texting and calling from that number. If he gets a new one, it will start all anew.

Whatever the course of action, she should stop replying.

Haibane

Jouzinka is right. She MUST stop responding (because that is what he wants) and she should just walk into the nearest police station and report harassment; alternatively call her phone provider and do the same. She knows his number now, so just ignore it.