News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup

Started by Nico, June 07, 2010, 01:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arhys

Nico

It was a great game. But there was way too less offensive play from the Germans.

Spain won - and they deserved it. Damn, they're good. I hope they'll make it.

Oniya

http://gawker.com/5582463/psychic-octopus-unfazed-by-death-threats

QuotePaul has been Germany's soccer oracle since 2008. Now, with a perfect World Cup prediction record, Paul's fame is growing—but so, too, are the death threats.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Shoshana

Down with death threats to Paul the octopus! Don't blame the messenger, people! (Glad to see he's unfazed and protected.  :-))
The door's open but the ride it ain't free.

~Bruce Springsteen

Remiel

I'll be cheering for Spain (and Germany in the 3rd place match) but I miiiight be persuaded to change my allegiance, and my avatar, to something Dutch if I can get a kiss from Imogen.  ;)

Lithos

I will be cheering for Spain - both for the impressive feat of beating current German team - but also for the fact that this is their _first_ world cup final I believe despite how good they are at soccer.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Kitsunetsuki

Ah well, I'm all about the Spaniards ;)

Go Spain! ;D
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Imogen

QuoteI'll be cheering for Spain (and Germany in the 3rd place match) but I miiiight be persuaded to change my allegiance, and my avatar, to something Dutch if I can get a kiss from Imogen.  ;)

-smooch- Anything for you, Remiel ;-)

and also:

Beesies: Hup Holland Hup

Hup Holland hup
Laat de leeuw niet in z'n hempie staan
Hup Holland hup
Trek het beestje geen pantoffels aan
Hup Holland hup
Laat je uit 't veld niet slaan
Want de leeuw op voetbalschoenen
Durft de hele wereld aan

I hope we'll win but I am thrilled the Netherlands made it the finals anyway! Bert van Marwijk and his team did an awsome job!! I am so proud that after years of playing beautiful soccer and not getting anywhere they have found a working compromise. I still would love to see more of their skillful play, but I'm happy we're back on par with the top soccer nations.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Nyarly

So Germany has lost. Too late. Much too late...

Ridcully

The Octopus - it's name is Paul, btw  - has chosen the winners of the last two matches today. There had even been "live feeds" on German media. Ah, civilisation...

Saturday: Urugay - Germany
Winner: Germany

Sunday: Netherlands - Spain
Winner: Spain

Remiel

Quotesmooch- Anything for you, Remiel ;-)

A deal's a deal.

HUP HUP HOLLAND!

Nico

Ridcully

Meh.

Germanys plays tonight, and I feel no excitement at all.

Matches for the 3rd place are usually totally uninteresting and senseless. In 2006, it was way important for the team - it was the emotional, very very emotional goodbye from the team to the crowds and vice versa in the home World Cup, and it was Kahn's last appearance on the national team.

But this time, a few thousand miles away in South Africa, after the disappointment against Spain? I feel nothing. I'd be happy for Klose to mark his two goals to get the record, but otherwise...*shrugs*

Plus, Paul already told us we'd win. So, the excitement is really gone.

Shoshana

QuotePlus, Paul already told us we'd win. So, the excitement is really gone.

I respect Paul's prediction, but I'm hoping he was wrong this time. I'm still rooting for Uruguay, even if it's only for third place. :P

~Bruce Springsteen

Arhys

I was in Stuttgart in 2006 for their closing match (not at the game) and it was just amazing.  Everyone was chanting "Stuttgart ist viel schoener als Berlin" and the streets were a madhouse.  My friends and I got to see the team entering their hotel, we had chosen a shortcut past all of the crowd in front and lucked out, so that was pretty neat.

I'm looking forward to tonight, they did really well and for such a young team I think we can be quite proud of them.  Not to mention 4-0 against Argentina is a legendary accomplishment, especially with what you posted about Mueller and Maradona.  I'm just waiting closer to game time for the Hefe, and then plan on enjoying it.

~Ed.  Ack, the flu hit the German team, half the team (tv's words)  will be out.  Klose, Podolski, Lahm.  http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/0,1518,705774,00.html  German only sorry

Phobetor

Mer. I'm indecisive when it comes to Uruguay and Germany. Whoever wins, wins.

Now Spain vs Netherlands...OMG!! I DON'T KNOW WHO TO GO FOR!!!! @_@

Villa vs Sneijder
*rips hair*
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

Ramster

These ladies agree with me:

HUP HOLLAND HUP! AANVALLUUUUH!
Leave not a piss untaken, nor a Michael unappropriated.
A/As!!!
Knight of the Order of the Pizza

Nulla gratuitas sine anchoa

Phobetor

BTW:
...The goal that Forlan just did made me O. Seriously.  :-[

I feel bad for Suarez. =/ He keeps getting boo'ed.
Taking a break from E.

Shoshana

Quote from: GrapeTootsiePop on July 10, 2010, 02:40:55 PM

I'm cheering for him here from home! I still think that was the best handball I've ever seen, and he took his lumps for it. Heck, I think I'm going to get me a Suarez jersey.  8-)

~Bruce Springsteen

Stan'

Quote from: GrapeTootsiePop on July 10, 2010, 02:40:55 PM

You shouldn't.  He's made it perfectly clear he has no regrets about conning Ghana out of the semi-finals.

Imogen

He shouldn't have regrets, imho, but that's old news ;-) I think Uruguay played well as did Germany, occasionally very nice combination play, and incredible fighting spirit. I had a better time watching that than I thought I'd have :-)
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Imogen

Oh..and this one is old.. but hey, still good..In Dutch, unfortunately. I think German speakers can understand what's being said though :-P

Luis Suarez in komische commercial Beter Horen
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Remiel

Paul really is psychic! =O

I love the way Uruguay always keeps fighting until the very last minute, the very last second, even in a 3rd place match. Love it.  I wish the USA had that much passion and tenacity.  Diego Forlan, Luis Suarez...those two are world-class calibre. 

And, really, everybody who's still complaining about Suarez needs to stop.  Really.  It happened, it's done, let's move on.  Like the announcers said: if Gyan had made the penalty kick, all of this controversy would have been a moot point.  Ghana needs to get over itself.

But the Germans...even without Klose, Podalski, and Lahm, they played some very impressive football indeed.  Their defense was impeccable.  I foresee great things for Ozil. 

But I am happy.  I finally got to see Jogi Loew in a scarf. :)

Imogen

Off-topic: Orange becomes you, Remiel ;-)
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Phobetor

Quote from: Stan' on July 10, 2010, 03:35:39 PM
You shouldn't.  He's made it perfectly clear he has no regrets about conning Ghana out of the semi-finals.

He shouldn't have any regrets. You do what you do for your team. He did it, he took his punishment. Done deal. People are still going to be bitter, people are still going to say he cheated. Whatevs. If you were in his shoes and you had .5 seconds to think about saving your teams shot at the World Cup, you'd do whatever was necessary. And I still feel bad for him, because no matter what getting boo'ed while you're in the field sucks.

Anyway.

I think I'm going to go for Netherlands. Just to go against Paul. *shakes fist at the damn octopus*
Taking a break from E.