Bwa hahahahha

Started by Thesunmaid, July 13, 2013, 11:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kythia

Think we're talking at cross purposes.  Making no truth claims about bible, simply saying its not a theory that leads inexorably to solipsism.

We're having two wildly different conversations.

Kythia

Incidentally, don't know the film you're referring to, either.

Rogue

Quote from: Kythia on July 19, 2013, 04:08:45 PM
Think we're talking at cross purposes.  Making no truth claims about bible, simply saying its not a theory that leads inexorably to solipsism.

We're having two wildly different conversations.

Ah... I see that I'm the lost one here. I saw the "Why Religious Arguments Don't Fail" spoiler and went "no no no no no...." And my head exploded.

Quote from: Kythia on July 19, 2013, 04:15:17 PM
Incidentally, don't know the film you're referring to, either.

The film is actually not that great so I'm not surprised. It's called Idiocracy. I just like using that argument to show people why circular logic is so very much made of fail.

Kythia

No worries, happens to best of us (as best of us, can say that with certainty).  Probably never gonna watch idiocracy, quick Wikipedia suggests its not about a privileged white girl who meets a street black youth and they learn about dance from each other.  Therefore, probably won't enjoy it.

Would question that the protestant reformation was the turning point you claim, but a) on my phone and b) can't be bothered.

Rogue

Quote from: Kythia on July 19, 2013, 04:25:10 PM
No worries, happens to best of us (as best of us, can say that with certainty).  Probably never gonna watch idiocracy, quick Wikipedia suggests its not about a privileged white girl who meets a street black youth and they learn about dance from each other.  Therefore, probably won't enjoy it.

Would question that the protestant reformation was the turning point you claim, but a) on my phone and b) can't be bothered.

Eh... I believe it, just from memory from a little over 4 years ago with a slight refresher about three, based on the kinda handing of the bible to more common people, in the common language, and encouraging them to read and interpret it as well.

Scientists have been coming from the church for forever, (Punnet Squares anyone?) but if I recall most were either sanctioned by the church or sanctioned by an authority sanctioned by the church. Scary RC power back then, but that is neither here nor there and completely off topic.

Also, idiocracy is not Save the Last Dance.... though now I have a slight urge to watch it...

Kythia

Don't forget that latin was the language of everyone who could read at time of vulgate - fourth century.  Common language translation, commissioned by church.  Aldhem (I think) translated bible to old English in seventh century.  Long tradition of bible in the common language.  Key point is printing press, not language per se. 

Ephiral

Quote from: Shjade on July 19, 2013, 01:51:05 PM
I'd like you to re-read my last post and point out where it includes the words "proven" or "proofs."

Then I'd like you to reflect on the humor of the statement "such a thing does not exist" given the current context.
...then perhaps it's "conclusive" I'm misunderstanding. Either way, I get the impression that this is irritating you, so I'll simply apologise for misunderstanding and misrepresenting your position and bow out of this conversation.

Rogue

According to what I found via Google, you are quite correct, but at the same time, we are looking at how expected it was for people of that time period to be educated. Another point, a common misconception that may have still been around when I was last paying decent attention, was that it was first translated in 1380s. But that may have been also because he was the first to translate it in it's entirety (or more likely compile others translations all into one book into a modern English.

I do agree with the fact that the printing press did serve a major role in the ability of the Protestant reformation to take hold, I disagree in that the RC vastly discouraged free learning outside of it's boarders, so: advent of printing press, allows more people more books, RC can't keep hold of learning anymore since they no longer write most the books....

Perhaps should adjust that point to Until the printing press not Until the protestant reformation....

Kythia

Yeah, wont argue that point.  Also fall of Constantinople led to whole load of Muslim learning coming to Europe.  Interesting time, hard for Catholic censors to keep up.