Previous topic - Next topic

daywalker926

daywalker926

WhiteyChan

I think.. that guy's a tool.

Also, that's kinda ridiculous.

Trieste

Serephino

This is like dodge ball getting banned when I was in school.  Some kid got a broken nose or something.  People are always overreacting.

The Emperor Zelos

this is done in america =/

Its hardly a suprise then

DannyCottonTail

If a school bans all physical contact, then how do kids play sports? I just hope the teachers don't have to stick to the same policy...

Oniya

Quote from: DannyCottonTail on February 12, 2010, 06:46:25 PM
If a school bans all physical contact, then how do kids play sports? I just hope the teachers don't have to stick to the same policy...

Yeah, I was about to say, playing football must be a real trick...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jude

The guy states a lot of "facts" without giving any statistical data to back up what he's saying.  I don't know if the incidence of fights has increased or decreased, but if the way he's presented the information is indicative of his thought process he has no idea what he's talking about.

I do agree it's extreme to ban all physical contact and unnecessary.  I think it's insane to threaten expulsion for breaking that ban in non-harmful ways (hugs, high-fives), but at the same time I don't see why we need hugging and high fiving etc. going on in our schools to begin with.  Some leniency for PE is the only area where I think it's necessary for it to be allowed for the sake of preserving the old educational experience.

The ban shouldn't affect education negatively in any way as long as the more extreme provisions aren't carried out so... I don't really care about it.

Trieste

We're human. We learn and bond through touch. When a baby cries, it's not enough to just speak to it in a soothing tone - you generally have to pick the baby up, cradle it, rub its back, etc. When we see a dog or a cat, the first thing kids want to do is pet it (and most adults, too). When we're feeling lost or alone or overwhelmed, many of us get into the "I just want a hug :-(" state of mind. We're very tactile. And you know what? It doesn't matter if it's nature or nurture (probably a little bit of both, given that most cultures seem to have conversational touching but different cultures are more touchy than others, and yes, there was a study done on it), because these kids are still being nurtured in much the same way at home. Unless there's a huge counterculture movement from the school and whatnot, they are still going to learn those mannerisms, which means that banning touch is isolationary. Whether it's necessary or not depends on the severity of the injuries at each school, I suppose.

Serephino

Yes, we're hardwired as social creatures.  We need physical contact.  It releases some sort of chemical in our brains.  I can't remember what it's called but it gives us a good feeling.

http://www.teachingexpertise.com/articles/the-importance-of-physical-touch-1628

I even found an article....