Firefox and Facebook: Is it just me?

Started by Reno, July 08, 2012, 12:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reno

Hey all. Sorry for posting this up here (though I presume this is the right forum for it) but being the antisocial little troglodyte that I am, this is about the only group of users I can address with a public message. :)

Ever since reluctantly "upgrading" (a term I use very, very loosely) to Firefox 13 on my Win7-64 computers, I've noticed that facebook seems to be broken to hell. Specifically, I get javascript errors when trying to load my "messages."  Since the error had to do with security, on a lark, I decided to try it in "Private Browsing" mode and, lo and behold, it worked. 

Out of curiosity, has anyone had a similar problem with FFx13 and FB?  I can't imagine it's just my installs, since it happens on all three computers(desktop, laptop, work), and I know it's not my extensions (checking in "safe mode" was the first thing I tried), but if the latest version of the 2nd most popuplar browser were breaking the site, I presume they would have actually fixed it by now.

Moraline

Not sure if it makes any difference but I was having a few issues as well.

Facebook pages hanging/freezing etc on my Firefox so I went in and disabled the add-ons for:

Java Developers Tool-Kit,
(2) Nvidia 3d Vision
Windows Presentation Foundation

It runs much much smoother now.

That Windows Presentation Foundation for years had a known security hole in it so it was just as well I disabled it.

Reno

Quote from: Moraline on July 08, 2012, 02:01:11 PM
Not sure if it makes any difference but I was having a few issues as well.

Facebook pages hanging/freezing etc on my Firefox so I went in and disabled the add-ons for:

Java Developers Tool-Kit,
(2) Nvidia 3d Vision
Windows Presentation Foundation

It runs much much smoother now.

That Windows Presentation Foundation for years had a known security hole in it so it was just as well I disabled it.

Nope, I've got plugin but flash and java disabled and still no joy.

Looking at the line that throws the error, it looks like the problem has something to do with "Local Storage," which kind of makes me nervous about the new E software now. <_<

Update:

Ok, it looks like the problem is that FB was relying on a bug that's been fixed. They've got the localstorage call in a javascript on their CDN (fbcdn.net) being called from the main facebook.com domain, and FFx up to 12 allowed them to override that domain. This is a no-no, per spec (Cross-domain exploit).

Still weird that it hasn't come up for anyone else, though...