A DC Universe Of Our Own (Mutants & Masterminds Variant)

Started by Norsegod1839, December 04, 2017, 12:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norsegod1839

lol what do you guys think so far? Everyone still interested and agreeable? I was doing some reading into it yesterday (the character sheet stuff) and think its mostly a easy enough system!

Yurie

I'm fine with it, though we should really hash out where the game's going to be located and the tone we're going to be aiming for...

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Yurie on December 09, 2017, 05:36:02 PM
I'm fine with it, though we should really hash out where the game's going to be located and the tone we're going to be aiming for...

There isnt going to be any central location or at least none I have planned except for it being on our own earth IE version of the DC universe

wander

Well, it's said that Metropolis and Gotham aren't too far from each other, a sort of New Jersey/New York sort of relationship, that offers two distinct tastes of supering, Metropolis being like NY glitz in the day, with Gotham being more like how it can get at night.

Hopefully that helps with a main hub for setting. Feel free to comment below to add thoughts on that. I'm fairly open to scope myself.

As for tone, I've been digging DC Rebirth this past year a whole bunch. Tom King's Batman has been getting real good recently and I wanna check more into Action Comics. I actually prefer some brightness in my superheroing (Harley Quinn, to take an extreme example as that's a tongue-in-cheek comedy, has been a blast and my series of the year), though character-driven stuff like Aquaman, Green Lanterns and Titans get me interested. Red Hood and the Outlaws was a real sleeper hit too, as it's not grimdark and has some actual heart to it (who knew Bizarro of all characters could hit my feels? ^^)

Super serial series like Green Arrow, Deathstroke and Cyborg, along with most of the Bat-books (outside of Batman) doesn't really do it for me. Ideally I'd like to see myself an rp where characters are developed, there's supering to be done with actual villians rather than fighting each other though overall an overarching plot that involves the growth of the PCs would be gold, for me, IMO.

Norsegod1839

Quote from: wander on December 09, 2017, 08:17:49 PM
Well, it's said that Metropolis and Gotham aren't too far from each other, a sort of New Jersey/New York sort of relationship, that offers two distinct tastes of supering, Metropolis being like NY glitz in the day, with Gotham being more like how it can get at night.

Hopefully that helps with a main hub for setting. Feel free to comment below to add thoughts on that. I'm fairly open to scope myself.

As for tone, I've been digging DC Rebirth this past year a whole bunch. Tom King's Batman has been getting real good recently and I wanna check more into Action Comics. I actually prefer some brightness in my superheroing (Harley Quinn, to take an extreme example as that's a tongue-in-cheek comedy, has been a blast and my series of the year), though character-driven stuff like Aquaman, Green Lanterns and Titans get me interested. Red Hood and the Outlaws was a real sleeper hit too, as it's not grimdark and has some actual heart to it (who knew Bizarro of all characters could hit my feels? ^^)

Super serial series like Green Arrow, Deathstroke and Cyborg, along with most of the Bat-books (outside of Batman) doesn't really do it for me. Ideally I'd like to see myself an rp where characters are developed, there's supering to be done with actual villians rather than fighting each other though overall an overarching plot that involves the growth of the PCs would be gold, for me, IMO.

Yeah and honestly we can have each mission start in a specific location and go from there! Honestly we have the whole of DC earth to go through!

I wouldnt mind having the titans and what not! Honestly you guys I posted that DC adventure book to give us the whole of the DC universe to go through! I am still figuring out what this is going to become but would love to get as much content in as possible! My goal here is to create our own DC universe in the multiverse basically!

Yurie

I assume we'll be doing original characters, then?

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Yurie on December 09, 2017, 09:06:32 PM
I assume we'll be doing original characters, then?

No way! You can but I also want to see your version of stapple characters!

wander

Characters would often need adapting to fit PL 10 anyways, depending on who you want to be.

I'll say that... I can help if anyone needs stats from anyone that may be in Vol 1 of the Heroes/Villians (A-K supers, some examples I gave upthread) or just general character generation help, as I've made a few custom ones now and know at least that side of the game very well.

I would say to people though to experiment and try and make a super on their own, see what works, how the stats relate to each other and how many Power Points you feel you want to place in Powers/Equipment. Go with what seems interesting to you or what you think your chosen canon would have and tweak it around until you get a 150pt character you'd enjoy playing.

Norsegod1839

Quote from: wander on December 10, 2017, 06:25:04 AM
Characters would often need adapting to fit PL 10 anyways, depending on who you want to be.

I'll say that... I can help if anyone needs stats from anyone that may be in Vol 1 of the Heroes/Villians (A-K supers, some examples I gave upthread) or just general character generation help, as I've made a few custom ones now and know at least that side of the game very well.

I would say to people though to experiment and try and make a super on their own, see what works, how the stats relate to each other and how many Power Points you feel you want to place in Powers/Equipment. Go with what seems interesting to you or what you think your chosen canon would have and tweak it around until you get a 150pt character you'd enjoy playing.

Do you have a digital version of volume one? I found volume two but can not seem to find volume one in an online format!

wander

I do own it, however it's watermarked with my real name, so I can't really share it. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the canon character stats for this, though I'll say if you ever need to know a particular thing, like a particular stat or Power someone has etc, I can share it with you here or in PM.

Norsegod1839

Quote from: wander on December 10, 2017, 01:26:46 PM
I do own it, however it's watermarked with my real name, so I can't really share it. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the canon character stats for this, though I'll say if you ever need to know a particular thing, like a particular stat or Power someone has etc, I can share it with you here or in PM.

Okay that works for me! I am debating buying it myself but am not sure yet! I will let you know which ones I need but thinking at the very least Batman!

wander

If you can find the corebook for DC Adventures, he's in there at the back with the more famous heroes. They all happened to be reprinted in those two volumes, though he's the same in the corebook and the volume.

Norsegod1839

Quote from: wander on December 10, 2017, 01:51:31 PM
If you can find the corebook for DC Adventures, he's in there at the back with the more famous heroes. They all happened to be reprinted in those two volumes, though he's the same in the corebook and the volume.

I shall look! So far no luck! I would love to buy it but its about thirty books even now!

wander

Did a google search, got this for the rp, which is Batman's stats from Vol 1;

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11127/111277349/5072929-1559998331-48083.png

If you need a character, google imaging 'DC adventure stats' with the character name usually brings something up. :)

Norsegod1839

Quote from: wander on December 10, 2017, 03:13:22 PM
Did a google search, got this for the rp, which is Batman's stats from Vol 1;

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11127/111277349/5072929-1559998331-48083.png

If you need a character, google imaging 'DC adventure stats' with the character name usually brings something up. :)

I think we can do that! Thanks Wander! What do you guys think?

Metraxa

Well I haven't played Mutants and Masterminds before, but after finding some stuff online I might be able to suss it out. I guess we'll see

wander

Not the GM, though if anyone has any concerns on the system or questions, I can answer them if needed, either in PM or here, or if/when the ooc thread goes live. I don't mind being a helper when it comes to the system and having it run smooth so it doesn't become a big deal (I know people here do love their freeform and often prefer it), as said before, it'd only really come up when action scenes would appear. In character development/dialogue, that'd be the usual freeform stuff (though you may get Hero Points if you trigger a Complication for your character).

Complications are super recommended, I go for around five to six for a character personally. They're nice ways to develop your character, give them some flaws which you can rp off or a plot arc you'd like them to go through and you get rewarded for including them in the game or letting the GM trigger them for you.

Valerian

I'm moderately familiar with Mutants and Masterminds, though that's 2nd edition Mutants and Masterminds, which is also the only book I have.  So I'll likely need some help with putting some stats together.  On the plus side, I should have no problem at all coming up with plenty of complications for the character.   ::)

Also, I'm guessing we might want to stick with all heroes at first?  As I mentioned, this version of Poison Ivy could just as easily end up as a hero rather than a villain, though if she'll be a hero then it might be help for her to have a prior connection with another, established hero.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Valerian on December 11, 2017, 02:08:34 PM
I'm moderately familiar with Mutants and Masterminds, though that's 2nd edition Mutants and Masterminds, which is also the only book I have.  So I'll likely need some help with putting some stats together.  On the plus side, I should have no problem at all coming up with plenty of complications for the character.   ::)

Also, I'm guessing we might want to stick with all heroes at first?  As I mentioned, this version of Poison Ivy could just as easily end up as a hero rather than a villain, though if she'll be a hero then it might be help for her to have a prior connection with another, established hero.

I dont mind if you want to do a villain Val! It's whatever you feel comfortable wiit hand whatever calls to you the most!

wander

I kinda see Ivy as an anti-villian anyway, in that what she does is look out for The Green and nature, she's just extreme about it. She plays well with Catwoman and Harley too and they've moved away from being villianesses into heroes that don't mind a bit of crime to make things go smooth.  :-)

Norsegod1839

Quote from: wander on December 11, 2017, 05:05:05 PM
I kinda see Ivy as an anti-villian anyway, in that what she does is look out for The Green and nature, she's just extreme about it. She plays well with Catwoman and Harley too and they've moved away from being villianesses into heroes that don't mind a bit of crime to make things go smooth.  :-)

Also if someone was interested in doing Swamp thing she could feasibly be in like a Justice League dark Eco justice League kind of role!

wander

I'm sure I saw it linked upthread though can't find it, so I'm linking the SRD here, so people know the system.

http://www.d20herosrd.com/

Anything looks too complex or confusing, everyone is free to ask me here or in PM. It looks a fair bit, though it boils down fairly easily.

So, I'm interested to see what characters we got coming in, looks like we'll have an Ivy (fairly sure she's in the linked vol 2 to use as a base), I'm pondering myself which hero might be fun.  :-)

Norsegod1839

Quote from: wander on December 11, 2017, 05:31:30 PM
I'm sure I saw it linked upthread though can't find it, so I'm linking the SRD here, so people know the system.

http://www.d20herosrd.com/

Anything looks too complex or confusing, everyone is free to ask me here or in PM. It looks a fair bit, though it boils down fairly easily.

So, I'm interested to see what characters we got coming in, looks like we'll have an Ivy (fairly sure she's in the linked vol 2 to use as a base), I'm pondering myself which hero might be fun.  :-)

I was thinking of doing Batman and possibly Nightwing but definetly we need someone for Superman and Wonder Woman if at all possible! I think at least having the big three on here iis a solid start!

wander

I could work on doing a pared down version of Superman for PL 10...

I am greatly attracted to DC Rebirth's Lois Lane.  ;D

Maybe editing the title of this thread adding "(Mutants and Masterminds)" at the end of the title will bring in the system gamers who know the system? Atm the thread seems from it's title like it'd be freeform and I actually only came by on a whim as I thought this would be freeform and wanted to see what characters may be involved.  ;D

Norsegod1839

Quote from: wander on December 12, 2017, 08:59:45 AM
I could work on doing a pared down version of Superman for PL 10...

I am greatly attracted to DC Rebirth's Lois Lane.  ;D

Maybe editing the title of this thread adding "(Mutants and Masterminds)" at the end of the title will bring in the system gamers who know the system? Atm the thread seems from it's title like it'd be freeform and I actually only came by on a whim as I thought this would be freeform and wanted to see what characters may be involved.  ;D

Sure I can do that! So I think we established we were basing it off of the mutant and mastermind type stuff!

And so I can do Batman you got Superman anyone for Wonder Woman? So we can get the big three represented? We can do multiple characters to if you guys want!